GolfSpy TCB

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I love Jack.  For all he was and is to the game of golf.  GOAT.  But... didn't he start the two tier system with the Memorial years ago?  His concerns are valid.  And the difference with the new system is a "requirement" to play in the elevated events by the top players... but what we don't yet know is what "required to participate" means.  I'm not sure the PGA Tour knows what that means, or how exactly to enforce it yet.  Lot's to come on this one... 

What do you think?  How will the PGA enforce participation?  What other events will be considered elevated?  What will become of the "non elevated" events that are tremendous tournaments and do amazing things for the cities they currently participate in?  Will this "grow the game" or will it promote a two tier structure as Jack suggests?

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

The NLU pod had a good recap on some of this but it was more I believe to do with James Hahn's comments about the tour being two tiered. It really already was before. The simply fact is these changes make that upper echelon paid more and gives a clearer path to it for those not in it. As well it means all the best will play against the best more often which is what we all want to see.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The idea that elevated events would come at the expense of all the other events struck me from the start. If all the marquee players have to play the elevated events, more of them will skip the other events. I did notice that they have to play 20 events vs 15 going forward, which will help a little - but I know I am less likely to watch the lesser events. I also noticed the disparity between large and small purses looks bad for non elevated events, $20M vs $3.8M at the extremes. I was already much less interested in watching the lesser events on TV, this will only make me watch less...YMMV

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. I can't stand LIV, but there's no denying it's having an impact.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 6:03 AM, LICC said:

Having a number of higher purse, limited field events is fine and probably needed to counter LIV, but I think making them have no cut is a mistake. The cut is a big differentiator from LIV that gives more credibility to the merit of PGA Tour events. 

Totally agree here. Many of the PGA players argument is that a no cut event is just an exhibition, yet they are following these exhibition guidelines now. 

Count me as one who has no trouble with a no cut event. I don’t see why this would make in an exhibition. 

I’d want to have the chance to watch any player in the field if I purchase Saturday tickets. They’d have advertised that certain players were playing, I may have bought the ticket based on that advertisement.

Oh well not the threads main point.

To that point there have always been “tiers” to events. This is really nothing new and it’s not bad. It happens in every sport. Who watched the Thursday Night NFL game this week? 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 months later...
On 10/13/2022 at 7:08 AM, Golfspy_TCB said:

I love Jack.  For all he was and is to the game of golf.  GOAT.  But... didn't he start the two tier system with the Memorial years ago?  His concerns are valid.  And the difference with the new system is a "requirement" to play in the elevated events by the top players... but what we don't yet know is what "required to participate" means.  I'm not sure the PGA Tour knows what that means, or how exactly to enforce it yet.  Lot's to come on this one... 

What do you think?  How will the PGA enforce participation?  What other events will be considered elevated?  What will become of the "non elevated" events that are tremendous tournaments and do amazing things for the cities they currently participate in?  Will this "grow the game" or will it promote a two tier structure as Jack suggests?

I dont think anything has really changed, there has always been tournaments that don't draw the "elite" players, probably more so now than 30-40-50 years ago due to the fact that the purses have increased to the point where even the top 100 can make a good living playing the events they want to. I remember when the "Canadian Open" was well attended by the stars only because, being outside the US, they could offer players money to "just show up" ie Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino etc. always played the Canadian Open because they could be guaranteed money. More recently Myacoba was always a second tier stop on the tour but now has gone to LIV. 

committed to performance excellence

On 10/13/2022 at 7:08 AM, Golfspy_TCB said:

I don't see it as a way to "grow the game" and it may actually create additional strife within the player pool and possibly sponsors.  Lets face it, Monahan & Co. are playing catch up to LIV's quite unexpected start-up success.  They are making changes, principally player payouts, that have been a point of contention with some big names for over a decade.  In reading Jack's comments, I suspect he's worried about the tour creating an "us" and "them" within the player pool.  The top players aren't the top players without the likes of a Brain Harmon chasing and challenging them week in and week out.  I for one like many of the lesser known, middle of the pack players.  If I can't see my favorites on the leaderboard, I'm less likely to watch/follow the event.

Overall, I'm losing my zeal for the PGA Tour year over year.  Like just about everything it seems (sadly) huge money has hijacked the sport.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)