Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What’s Your Go To Golf Tee?

Middler

What Type Golf Tee Do You Use Most?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. What Type Golf Tee Do You Use Most?

• Wood (not bamboo)
    • Bamboo (or other more biodegradable)
    • Plastic or other polymer
    • Other (brush, anti slice, etc.)

I keep wood tees in my pocket, but for many tee shots, especially on a course where Mostly hit irons, I'll try to find a broken wood tee around the tee box. I know you can buy short wooden tees, but I feel better re-using something that someone left behind and didn't bother to clean up after themselves.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX 10.5

Takomo 101 Irons

all 4 Tokomo SkyForger wedges

Just a 2 3/4 wood tee for me, preferably with some stripes on it to assist with consistency with height. However, I will pick up any good wooden tees that I find on course as well and use those.

I’m currently using a box of the Western Birch bamboo tees and while I do enjoy the looks of them and the stripes help with consistency, I find that they don’t last any longer for me than a wood tee so I doubt that I can justify their increased cost. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I use a 2-3/4" bamboo tee. Although they don't last long - more often than not, the top of the tee is ripped off after a driver shot. Playing public courses with firmer tee boxes probably contributes to that. 

I do now always try to find a used/broken tee when not teeing off with driver (which is frequent, as I have been hitting a lot of 5 woods off the tee). 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

On 11/3/2022 at 9:27 AM, David Leighton Reid said:

I'm with cnosil on found tees.  As a walker, I find a pocketful of tees every time I play.  I share these found tees with my friends and the high school golf team.  

During the Covid pandemic I wouldn't touch a found tee. Who knows if 5 minutes earlier some covid-infected hand wrenched that thing into the ground?

DRIVER:     Rogue 10.5 degree

3 WOOD:     Mavrik Max 15.0 degree

21 DEGREE HYBRID:     Titleist 909H

IRONS:     Callaway XR Pros  5 - PW

GAP WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  48 degree

SAND WEDGE:   Titleist Vokey  54 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  56 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  60 degree

PUTTER:     Odyssey Black #7

BALL:       Titleist Pro V1  

On 11/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, chisag said:

... Something I never thought I would do, but I have switched to Martini tees after finding 5 of them on the course. My favorite tees, the 3 1/4" Evolution tees tend to break at the little spikes that hold the ball and sometimes it is hard to get the ball to sit on the tee. Impossible to see (without glasses) and I fumble around before realizing the spike is broken. Martini is the easiest to sit a ball on a tee compared to any I have played so I am using them for simple convenience. The fact that it lasts until you basically lose it is good for the environment because I hate plastic waste. 

I have a golfing friend who uses Martini tees. What are they, like two bucks a tee? When it flies off the tee box after his drive we put together a search party.  'Cause he doesn't want to leave that expensive thing behind. We stick to the rules and only spend 3 minutes looking for it, of course.

Martini tees, both the 3.25" and 2". Darn near indestructible. I lose them before I break them.  

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

I've been using the Pride Professional Tee System tees for years now, 2 3/4" and use the yellow lines on the white tee to help in constant tee height throughout the round. That 1" yellow stripe helps bigtime in tee height and it allows for a higher/lower tee shot. They're wood and they last a fairly long time unless my swing gets too steep. I only use these tees for my driver shot as I can find broken tees on every tee box for my fairway or iron tee shots. Try these out as I think they're worth the cost.

On 11/3/2022 at 12:05 PM, Middler said:

I’ve always insisted on wood or bamboo tees for tradition and biodegradability. However I go though hundreds of tees every year and that’s not without environmental impact, so I wonder if plastic tees might make more sense? Wooden/bamboo tees break easily (and may cost more as a result), litter tee boxes and don’t do mowers any favors, use more material and distribution impact, and mark up drivers. Plastic tees will outlive everyone in our families and then some, not good. [Yes I know bamboo is a grass, not wood]

Martini tees are the best, they don’t break, easy to find and if used correctly I believe they do provide slightly better accuracy off the tee. 

Callaway plastic, been on the same pack of 25 for about 5 years and have shared about 10 with friends that are still using at least one of the two I gave them. 

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

Pride Performance Plastic Tees with my driver.  Love the way the ball sits up on these tees and a little extra yardage helps.  Seems most people purchase them because they do not break but yet leave them all over the driving range.  Never have to buy any.  Do prefer the Pride Performance White wooden mini tees for par threes and if hitting a hybrid or fairway off the tee.  Also, these are available on the range left over from the clinics.  Am retired and resourceful!!    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

1 hour ago, Bizekidz007 said:

I prefer the martini tees that provide consistent height with the driver and the mini martini for my fairway woods and irons. I have been using the same 2 tees for over a year now due to their durability. The only need to worry about is finding them after you’ve made your shot.

One of the guys I golf with uses those tees also and since they fly all over after the shot one of us watches where his ball goes and I watched where his tee went. Worked great for all of us. 

Frank musolino 

49 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a golfing friend who uses Martini tees. What are they, like two bucks a tee? When it flies off the tee box after his drive we put together a search party.  'Cause he doesn't want to leave that expensive thing behind. We stick to the rules and only spend 3 minutes looking for it, of course.

My friend uses these tees, my job when he hits is to watch where the tee goes after he swings, everyone else watches his ball. Works great for all of us.

Frank musolino 

I use a martini tee on any hole I use driver. I've used the same one for a couple of years. On holes where I tee off with less than driver I use a broken wooden tee that I pick up on the teeing ground .

Ping g 430 irons & hybrid

Taylor Made Stealth 2 HD driver &fairways

I use whatever I find left behind on tee boxes. I almost never have to buy tees. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

During the Covid pandemic I wouldn't touch a found tee. Who knows if 5 minutes earlier some covid-infected hand wrenched that thing into the ground?

How ironic is it that touching things during COVID was mostly proved to be inconsequential. I work in a VA hospital and I can say the paranoia over things like this was way overblown.

Takomo 101 Irons

I've recently gone to the dark side. I use Martini tees now in bright optic colors so I can find them. I made the switch b/c of the number of trees it takes to make the wooden ones. Yes, I know that chemicals, petroleum and other things probably go into the making of the martini tees. But, I figure that to be a one-time purchase vs. bags of 1,000 tees every few months. My choice.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

I have sooo many tees; short, medium, and long.  I have been using wood on the course, in the hopes of reducing my inventory.  I do use plastic at the driving range because of the sheer number of tees I would break with wood.  I always find more tee, so I don't think I have much environmental impact.  My goal is to break a wooden tee.  My logic is that I would be making better contact with the ball, and not hitting too high off the tee.  With plastic, I cannot be too sure where I am making contact with the ball.  

Willie or won't he?

31 minutes ago, EMacK1961 said:

I've recently gone to the dark side. I use Martini tees now in bright optic colors so I can find them. I made the switch b/c of the number of trees it takes to make the wooden ones. Yes, I know that chemicals, petroleum and other things probably go into the making of the martini tees. But, I figure that to be a one-time purchase vs. bags of 1,000 tees every few months. My choice.

After years insisting on wooden tees for environmental reasons, I finally decided the indestructible plastic tees are the lesser evil. The 6 goofy Martini tees I have will outlast me, versus hundreds/thousands of wooden/bamboo tees. However, I still use a scavenged broken wooden tee on par 3’s. And they don’t mark up my driver sole like painted wooden tees, another unexpected upside to me.

I would never use the cheap plastic tees that break easily, that’s the worst of all worlds…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I use the Martini tees.  They last and last.  I probably had the same four I am using for over a year.

I'm 72 years old and I enjoy playing golf at least once a week.

PXG 0211 Driver 10.5, with graphite senior shaft

PXG 0211 3W, 5W and 7W, with graphite senior shaft

Cobra F-Max Hybrid set 6,5,4 Hybrids, 7,8,9,PW,GW, graphite senior shaft (I'm old)

C3i 59 degree Sand Wedge, steel shaft

Odyssey DFX Double Wide 33" putter

1 hour ago, BillybobT said:

How ironic is it that touching things during COVID was mostly proved to be inconsequential. I work in a VA hospital and I can say the paranoia over things like this was way overblown.

You sound like a good conservative to me.  Why take chances because of your political leanings?

I use to be strictly a wooden tee user mostly due to that most local courses give them for free with the carts. I always grabbed a few extra on tee box's as I found them and have amassed more than a few dozen in my bag.

Just recently I came across the "Tornado Tee" and decided to give it a try. I honestly am impressed with its durability, after over 500 tee shots it shows almost no sign of wear. I don't lose it because it stays in the ground after the tee shot. I have noticed improvement on dispersion, distance I cannot verify as I don't track that and have not really done any comparison. I will continue to use it for the time being and see if straighter drives help improve my scoring. 

51 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You sound like a good conservative to me.  Why take chances because of your political leanings?

What an odd post, referring to the conservative thing. I didn't feel like I was taking any chances. Just ordered some plastic Maxfli tees from Amazon, mostly because there are long and short. I'l see how it goes.

Takomo 101 Irons

1 minute ago, BillybobT said:

What an odd post, referring to the conservative thing. I didn't feel like I was taking any chances. Just ordered some plastic Maxfli tees from Amazon, mostly because there are long and short. I'l see how it goes.

Statistically it was shown that more right-leaning, conservative folks decided they knew more about Covid than the scientists.  Like I said, as a rational man, why take chances? And congrats on the Maxfli tees.