Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Grip Thickness???

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on golf club grip Thicknesses?? Do you use normal grips with tapes?? or jumbo grips?? 

Have you changed grips and it helped your game any?? As it's the only thing connecting you with the club. 

Trevor 01 

Taylormade driver @ 9.5 x flex, 3 wood @15, 5 wood @ 21, golfpride cord 

Taylormade p770 irons D7 swingweight lie angle @ 1 upright, Titleist wedges @ 2 flat  with KBS 120. 50,56,60, 

Taylormade spider putter.

As background I use a XL glove and have tried everything from standard grips to midsize and even jumbo - note: I also regrip clubs myself. My experimentation over the past  3 to 4 years has led me to a combination of tape and midsize grip. For all but wedges I use 3 layers of tape + GP's CPX grips. For wedges, I use 3 1/2 layers + GP's MCC+4. The 1/2 layer is at the bottom of the grip and allows a better 'feel' for when I need to choke down on the club. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I vastly prefer mid-sized grips and have been using them for a number of years. I find they help me not keep a death grip on the club and allow for a freer flowing release thanks to less tension in my hands.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

like @tony@CIC I've experimented with grips and do my own regripping. I've tried multiple layers of tape, more at the bottom than at the top, etc.

ultimately I landed on midsize for clubs that I swing for distance and standard for those where I want accuracy. (of course I always want both but in golf we don't always get what we want 😆)

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I've tried to play with all in the past.  Quickly realized regular was not for me with my long fingers.   Then went to jumbo sized for a litle while, and when those needed replaced I tried mid sized.  It was the right feel for me, and have been using exclusively mid sized for the last 20 years.   Automatically have any new club I get re-gripped with  CP-2 mid size.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I have small hands (men's cadet glove ) and used the midsize one season.  Just too large for me so I went back to regular size. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

love the topic and input. I've always used regular. Even measuring by online charts (I can't remember where), I lean more towards Regular. Glove size normall is ML, but Red Rooster guys told me to use a Medium. Large palm, short fat fingers. a putter I bought came with a Jumbo grip and I hated it. I guess, I'm must a regular kinda guy

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

On 5/25/2023 at 8:19 AM, tony@CIC said:

As background I use a XL glove and  GP's CPX grips. 

I have settled on mid sized. I'm a large cadet glove but  because of arthritis I feel best at this point. Jumbo was just too big. Have started to regrip myself. I have been reading that the GP's CPX grips tend to wear out quickly. Any truth to that folks?

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

11 minutes ago, Dweed said:

I have settled on mid sized. I'm a large cadet glove but  because of arthritis I feel best at this point. Jumbo was just too big. Have started to regrip myself. I have been reading that the GP's CPX grips tend to wear out quickly. Any truth to that folks?

CPX don’t wear any faster than other GP grips. I could make a case for them feeling grippier longer than my tour velvet or mcc +4. However,  I did have my first one,  about 18 - 24 months ago start deteriorating after a few weeks. I assume they had an initial formulation problem. Since that first one - never had an issue. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I played regular but recently experimented with Golf Pride tour velvet plus 4 in midsize because my hands are starting to hurt some as I get older and I can say I was hoping the midsize wouldnt hurt my game and give me some pain relief and if anything I tend to hold the midsize with a looser grip and they may actually be helping my game. All else fails change a couple of clubs and experiment with them before a full bag grip job. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag