Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Drills for Approach Shot Accuracy

Any recommendations?

I really need to improve my GIR, and this should be a focus.  Aside from going to the range and trying to dial in 50/75/100 etc. by banging balls, any suggestions?  My aim is good - it's swing consistency I need to improve on.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra:  Shogun Blue M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

18 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Any recommendations?

I really need to improve my GIR, and this should be a focus.  Aside from going to the range and trying to dial in 50/75/100 etc. by banging balls, any suggestions?  My aim is good - it's swing consistency I need to improve on.

What is inconsistent?    Without knowing why you miss the greens not sure there is a recommendation that can be provided.   Is your target bad?  What is your proximity to the hole from various distances?  How big are the greens you are trying to hit? How far out are you where you expect to hit greens?    What is your expectation? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Aim and distance are fine.  I need to dial in the accuracy of the shot itself - I miss right and left, unfortunately.  I guess what I  am asking for is drills to dial in a consistent swing/shot with approach irons -- one that goes toward the aim point, consistently.

My expectation is to hit a significant majority of greens from within 100 yards, and more than 50-60% from 150-in.

• :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

2 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Aim and distance are fine.  I need to dial in the accuracy of the shot itself - I miss right and left, unfortunately.  I guess what I  am asking for is drills to dial in a consistent swing/shot with approach irons -- one that goes toward the aim point, consistently.

Do you have a consistent miss? What is your dispersion for each club? Is there a distance that is worse than others? If so that may be a place to start. You also mention swing consistency. Most golfers are consistent in their swing, it’s just the way they get there and how their body compensates is detrimental 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 60g 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

5 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

What is your dispersion left/right from various distances?  Are your expectations too high?  

the simple answer with no supporting information is to set up a vertical line in a hitting net and work on hitting the it  with all your clubs.  Or hit the ball farther and closer to the hole since the closer you are the easier it is to hit the green.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

41 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

My expectation is to hit a significant majority of greens from within 100 yards, and more than 50-60% from 150-in.

The drills that would provide accuracy are a more consistent swing. Two way miss is indicative of a possible swing flaw which is more than likely an out of position club face that causes either and over the top move or a too far inside to out which is more typical of better golfers.

Post a video of your swing and let’s see what’s going on

The other thing to do is set expectations. The best GIR percentage on your is 75%, the average is around 70%. 

Not a drill, per se, but in the past I've enjoyed and benefitted from playing (generally short) Par 3 courses. Also. you might try a practice round of irons only where you select a specific target area off the tee, and for your next shot, etc.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

Do you have a top tracer range near you?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Do you have a top tracer range near you?

Unfortunately no.  Best I can do is the Foresight inside at PGATSS, which is not the same as outdoors, of course.

6 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

Unfortunately no.  Best I can do is the Foresight inside at PGATSS, which is not the same as outdoors, of course.

Often they will have drills or challenges that can help. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

Aim and distance are fine.

Have you looked at aim while using a camera from dtl view and see where your shoulders, hips, feet are pointed and how they align with the clubface.

Warching swing videos on a few forums people thing they are aimed correctly but in reality their club is aimed at the target but their body is aligned in a different direction or vice versa.

Misalignment can also lead to swing issues that will cause two way miss 

These are great suggestions and questions.

I am headed to the range with alignment sticks to do some testing, see if I can ascertain what's going on.  Pretty sure my left misses are simple right shoulder over the top sloppiness, which is easily fixed.  I will try to do some testing/data on misses.  Video may have to wait - will see what I can MacGyver up.

15 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

These are great suggestions and questions.

I am headed to the range with alignment sticks to do some testing, see if I can ascertain what's going on.  Pretty sure my left misses are simple right shoulder over the top sloppiness, which is easily fixed.  I will try to do some testing/data on misses.  Video may have to wait - will see what I can MacGyver up.

Probably true.  Left misses are very common result of OTT move; it's easy for the upper body to rotate too soon.  And then to compensate, alignment moves and then you don't know what's happening.  Happens with all shots, and when it does, I spend time working on 30-40 yard pitches to get better sequencing; seems to help longer shots too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Probably true.  Left misses are very common result of OTT move; it's easy for the upper body to rotate too soon.  And then to compensate, alignment moves and then you don't know what's happening.  Happens with all shots, and when it does, I spend time working on 30-40 yard pitches to get better sequencing; seems to help longer shots too.

While true a too inside to out swing will produce the right ball flight when the face doesn’t close on time and then compensation for that is to close the face faster and you end up with hooks and pull.

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While true a too inside to out swing will produce the right ball flight when the face doesn’t close on time and then compensation for that is to close the face faster and you end up with hooks and pull.

Agreed, but I think @IndyBonzo was mostly concerned with 100y and in (correct me if I'm wrong).  Not many hooks happening, but certainly pulls from improper sequencing of upper and lower body.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

To the original question, I have two courses within 25 miles that have top trader on their range.  Also, there is a Top Golf about 30 miles away.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

I went to the range, and had some surprising, and some not-so-surprising results.  Maybe I am not as bad from inside 100 as I thought, and my poorer performances (both on range today and lately on the course) from 120+ are clouding my perspective.  It was beautiful but windy.  No top tracer, and had to use the distances the range gave me.  Here goes.

Part I -- 95 yards -- Not Awful

Fort75.jpg.e52aa5bff66a80e235d1041b34693a2d.jpg

image.png

Conclusions:  Not too bad.  Wondering if results would be better with an 80% Gap Wedge as opposed to the full Sand Wedge.  This can be improved with some practice.  No glaring faults I could determine.

Part II --  112 Yards -- Surprising

Fort95.jpg.2f2fd9cff7f88bab32efd596847b57aa.jpg

image.png.adb1d1d43f2ab0af6ed780c0a0218d05.png

Conclusions:  I'll take 70%.  If I don't aim two shots and swing fully, those may have also been on.  All misses right, which is consistent with the wind direction and with my typical miss.  

Part III -- 140 Yards -- Trouble

Fort140.jpg.1deb7cbeae1b56d8bc76beb31e33dfeb.jpg

image.png.997b522007437abf4c682f0289ceff13.png

Conclusions:  Lots of work to do here.  Admittedly, the wind was messing with me, and I was not swinging well at this point.  140 is typically a perfect easy 9 iron.  Not today.  Lots of misses right or thin, which for my swing means I am not finishing my swing and not turning my body -- trying to do it all with my arms and hands (drummer-itis).  Thin shots result from me getting too quick in my transition and, again, using too much hands/not enough hip/body turn.  Need to drill the hip turn and full finish swing/belt buckle pointed at or left of target.

I will try to get some swing video soon.  I appreciate any suggestions you fine folks can offer.  Thank you for endeavoring to assist me.  I am grateful.

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Agreed, but I think @IndyBonzo was mostly concerned with 100y and in (correct me if I'm wrong).  Not many hooks happening, but certainly pulls from improper sequencing of upper and lower body.

Depends on the person. I see plenty of similar misses from 100 yards and in as with longer distances for both full swings as partial swings. Ott and too inside out for most golfers are improper sequencing.

With 100 yards and in there’s a good chance of deceleration. The feel of the swing too long so they slow it down to not hit it as far or on the other side too quick of a swing 

3 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

Conclusions:  Not too bad.  Wondering if results would be better with an 80% Gap Wedge as opposed to the full Sand Wedge.  This can be improved with some practice.  No glaring faults I could determine.

A partial gap wedge could be better. Very few good players full swing a wedge or scoring club. The goal is to continue distance, flight and spin

8 or 9 iron is often going to see drops vs wedge accuracy and will be unlikely to hit 50% GIR from that range. You should re-test on a day where wind is not blowing into you to get a better feel of left to right dispersion as that sticks out with 25 yard width from 95 and 43 yards at 140. Initial guess would be try shortening your swing to see if it straightens things up. If this requires a longer club, that's OK. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Lots of thin shots with some chuks. Indication the swing is causing low point issues caused a change in angles. Typically body is dipping and causing the chunks or raising and causing the thins. Or there is a good amount of movement of weigh back and forth. Or a combo of all that.

More than likely on short there is more arm swing and not enough of the body involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Indy, see your comments were featured on the Red Rooster web page!

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

• 3 weeks later...

I struggle with this as well. It’s almost as if my swing gets too loose when I get close (and when I expect to hit the green) and I lose control of the clubface.

WITB (2023):

Titleist TSR3 9.0 • TM M4 3W • TM 2i • TM Stealth Irons (4-AW) • TM Hi-Toe 56* • TM Spider GT Notchback Putter • Titleist TruFeel Ball