Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Upcoming golf trip

PrismFlopper

So have a big golf trip in early October to Myrtle Beach coming up. Playing 18 on Friday, 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. A lot of golf for our first golf trip. Any recommendations on weather, how the courses play, or best way to transport bags. We looking at shipping our clubs down to hopefully not have to worry about the airlines breaking clubs or just not sending them from horror stories ive been hearing. From MA so expecting the weather to be nice but honestly dont know what to expect.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I played Myrtle Beach on a golf trip in the spring. There are so many golf courses in MB it is hard to speak in generalities but I will say we say a little bit of everything. Pine Lakes was lush green and probably my favorite that we played. Myrtle Beach National we played in the rain so it was a bit soggy but overall quite good. Grande Dunes was insanely hard to play, the greens were incredibly fast and there was trouble everywhere. We played Beach Wood the first day as a warm up and it was really firm and then we played an additional 18 (just because we felt good after the day 1 warmup at Azalea Sands and it was not great. Super firm, barely any grass. So truly the full gamut of conditions. 

The weather we had there was fine, even the rain was in and out. Not terribly windy. I will say that "Myrtle Beach" can cover a sprawling area so depending on where you are staying it might be a decent drive to different courses. What courses are you playing? 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

I played Myrtle Beach on a golf trip in the spring. There are so many golf courses in MB it is hard to speak in generalities but I will say we say a little bit of everything. Pine Lakes was lush green and probably my favorite that we played. Myrtle Beach National we played in the rain so it was a bit soggy but overall quite good. Grande Dunes was insanely hard to play, the greens were incredibly fast and there was trouble everywhere. We played Beach Wood the first day as a warm up and it was really firm and then we played an additional 18 (just because we felt good after the day 1 warmup at Azalea Sands and it was not great. Super firm, barely any grass. So truly the full gamut of conditions. 

The weather we had there was fine, even the rain was in and out. Not terribly windy. I will say that "Myrtle Beach" can cover a sprawling area so depending on where you are staying it might be a decent drive to different courses. What courses are you playing? 

No clue I didnt plan the trip, just coming along for the ride

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 10:39 AM, PrismFlopper said:

So have a big golf trip in early October to Myrtle Beach coming up. Playing 18 on Friday, 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. A lot of golf for our first golf trip. Any recommendations on weather, how the courses play, or best way to transport bags. We looking at shipping our clubs down to hopefully not have to worry about the airlines breaking clubs or just not sending them from horror stories ive been hearing. From MA so expecting the weather to be nice but honestly dont know what to expect.

Definitely recommend using somewhere like ShipSticks. Makes golf travel so much easier. Last time I went to Bandon I also shipped a suitcase, so all I had on the plane was a carry-on. 

Depending on where you're staying, there is a chance that you would be able to play the Dunes Club.  They have select days that they allow non-members to play a round.  Call and ask, but I don't remember the specific places that are part of it.  

Ping G425 SFT Driver

Ping G425 SFT 3 Wood

Taylormade M4 Rescue

Mizuno JPX 921 HMP Irons

Callaway Jaws 54/ 58

Odyssey O-Works #9

I wouldn't worry about your clubs.  Lots of threads here about how to pack them properly, etc.  I've taken mine everywhere over the last thirty years and except for them being late a couple times, never an issue.  It does happen, for sure, but it's SUPER rare that they would get damaged.  I just got back from Puerto Rico and it was fine. I've taken them to Scotland, all over the US incl. Hawaii and the airlines typically do a fine job.

As to Myrtle, others have mentioned: too many good courses and restaurants to begin to list them all. I do recommend Bimini's one night for some seafood and local flavor.  Also recommend an Uber unless one of your group is going to stay stone sober.  Myrtle Beach area police are on the lookout, just sayin'. Keep an eye on the weather.  Shouldn't be cold, but could be HOT or WET or both.

Have a great freaking time.  There are two huge PGA Tour Superstores on the main drag at each "end", so hit 'em hard, hopefully straight, but if you don't you can go and reload.

If you get there and do need restaurant recommendations, just DM me.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

One idea to consider re: traveling with clubs...you can also rent clubs (not from the individual courses though). If someone has an old(er) set, it can be worth it to rent a set for the trip. Depending on how plan it, the cost could be pretty comparable to shipping your clubs or traveling with them. There are a few websites that offer this service. Also, there are places in Myrtle Beach to rent clubs for the weekend. These clubs are often relatively new as well.

Just something for people to consider. 

Callaway Jaws 60 and 54

Titleist T300 W-5 and Tsi2 3 and 4 Hybrids

Callaway Epic Max 3W and  Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS Driver