Taylormade warranty.....a call on a whim

I wanted to post a story about my experience with a warranty with Taylormade. I hope this is the right forum.

I currently have a Taylormade R9 460 as my gamer. I bought it about 14 months ago on a holiday sale through an online retailer. I had a particularly bad spring round and I manage to pop a drive off of the crown/top of the face. The crown dented slightly, but because I have only been playing a few years I just chalked it up to a bad day at he office and continued to use it. The dent was on the crown out near the toe. Playing two weeks ago I noticed the dent has become a small crack.

My thought process was that I would play it until it got worse and then get fit for a new driver. My playing partner that day said I should call taylormade and see if they can repair it. It didn't seem worthwhile and others were telling me there is no way you will get anything from TM.

Two days after that round I decide I'll send in an email to taylormade and just see if I had any options. Hoping maybe I could get a new R9 head at a reduced rate. The online email form on TM's website had a glitch and would not allow me to submit it. I figured I would just call and tell them and talk with them.

After a few minutes on hold I get a service rep. I tell him my issue with the club and how I think it's my fault from a swing. He tells me it still shouldn't have cracked. He asked my the loft and flex and my mailing address. Before I can realize why, he tells me they are sending me a R11s because they don't have any R9 parts left in stock. He asks me if that's ok. I mumbled something in shock that I think was a yes. He tells me I can send my broken driver back in the same box and they will include a pre paid fed ex label. I offered to send photos of my damaged club, he wasn't interested.

All of this and no charge to me. I have never had a customer service issue handled quite like this. According to the tracking number they gave me, I'll have the club Friday.

Has anyone else ever had this type of experience?

What's my Handicap? Just look in my Golf Bag. Every club in there is my handicap.

I've seen mostly positive stories like yours in dealing directly with the major OEMs concerning warranty issues. I think the few exceptions I've read about dealt with shaft breakage - that is, the manufacturer may or may not honor the warranty because one type of shaft damage signified faulty equipment whereas another type meant that the golfer was at fault.

I once recently went back to the retailer where I bought a club to see if they could send it back to the OEM in exchange for one that was at the stated standard length (the one I originally bought was 1/2 inch shorter). In this case, the retailer told me I could simply go and find another one in stock that was at the correct length. I did, and it saved considerable time. So in my case, I was happy with the level of service from both the retailer and the OEM. :)

Has anyone else ever had this type of experience?

I have an experience like this, also with TaylorMade. I had a Tour Burner TP and the face cracked after a year. They replaced in the same manner as yours, only I received a standard Burner, due to them not have any more Tour Burners. After calling them back and explaining the issue I had with that, they over-nighted a Burner TP to me.

On the opposite side of that, I cracked the face on a Nike Sumo and they wouldn't replace it, because I had the stock shaft changed out. I also had a shaft snap off at the hosel right after I bought my Titleist 975J-VS and they wouldn't replace it; I had literally hit 10 balls with it and I was hitting them on the indoor range at the place where I bought it.

• SPY VIP

Great story, but I will admit that I'm not the least bit surprised. Painting with reasonably broad strokes here...customer service industry-wide is among the very best you'll find in any industry.

My expectation is you'd have similar results with Callaway, PING, Titleist, and others. The golf equipment industry really has become a commodities game. There's not much in the way of actual difference from one company's product to that of its competitor. Even if one company can out market another, repeat business is important to everybody's success. Every customer matters, and most companies aren't willing to risk one by providing anything less than outstanding customer service. TaylorMade provided you with outstanding services. You'll remember that when you go to buy your next driver, fairway wood, or whatever else.

If they hadn't been willing to replace the driver (which you admit would have been a reasonable outcome), you may have bought a competitor's product, and that one decision might have shaped your buying habits for years to come.

Slightly off topic...IMO the R11s is the best driver TaylorMade has produced since the R7 SuperQuad. Enjoy it!

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

See, I hated the R11S and like the RBZ Tour much more and have much better results. I'm trying to get my hands on an R11S v2 at a reasonable price because of the results I've seen and the fact it's the driver all the tour players are using because of their results with it (it's a smaller head).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

See, I hated the R11S and like the RBZ Tour much more and have much better results. I'm trying to get my hands on an R11S v2 at a reasonable price because of the results I've seen and the fact it's the driver all the tour players are using because of their results with it (it's a smaller head).

At the risk of following you too far off topic... didn't personally care for the RBZ. It's long enough, solid ball flight, and I believe spun less than the 11s for me, but the feel just didn't move me in the least.

I'm working with an 8* v2 (at least I'm pretty sure it's a v2) right now. Haven't had a chance to get it on the monitor yet, but I think I can maintain my launch angle and kill spin like I need to (the retail head spun too much for me (even at -1.5* the numbers were too high, .though admittedly 10.5* might have been overly ambitious on my part).

Despite the smaller head size, I don't notice much difference at address. The feel is totally different (more muted), and I had drop in an extra 6 grams or so of weight to get the swingweight to match the retail (~D5 with 75 gram shaft cut to play at 44.5").

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I have had a similar experience with Taylormade in 2010. I cracked the face of my R7 limited driver and I went directly to the Taylormade campus in Carlsbad since my school was near by and they checked my driver for me than replaced it right on the spot with another r7 limited they had in stock. Great customer service!

-Ryan

logo.jpg

Email: [email protected]

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

I had a similar experience with Ping 25 years ago. I was at a range had mats and my friend insisted on trying a shot with one of my new Eye 2's - he proceeded to break the shaft on my 8 iron. Even though it was clearly his (our) fault Ping replaced the club at no cost. It took a while to get the club back and I was disappointed that it was a black dot when mine were red dots. However I kept it and eventually made my first hole in one ever with it. I've also since learned that all Eye 2's started as black dots and then were bent and painted - my was bent but never painted - go figure.

At any rate kudos to Taylor Made here (and I hate Taylor Made) they did what they should do but lots don't. Good business is treating your customers well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As good as the Taylormade marketing department is, they could very easily be undone by a poor customer service department. But instead, the CS Department had turned this into a win. There have been 88 people, serious golf people, who have read this post between when you posted it and when I replied. Those that read it will possibly relay what they read to other golfers on the course when the subject comes up. It will stay here in perpetuity, and everyone who reads this will know that Taylormade stands behind their product. All for the cost of a new driver they will be getting marketing that money can not buy. Plus, you, although obviously already a Taylormade fan, will love your new driver, and tell all your friends and relay the story.

This is truly a win for TMag and you. Great story.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Happy to hear that this worked out well for you. I've seen this a bunch of times with TMAG through my retail work: old, broken drivers turning into new ones.

I will agree with T about this being an industry-wide thing...to a point. I have had a handful of incidents with certain companies that were bad. However, I didn't have enough bad experiences with any given company to throw them under the bus in this thread. Bottom line: go crush that new driver!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Interesting business lesson -- for the cost of a new driver (their cost, not ours), they've created a nice buzz about their company - as RoverRick has pointed out. Talk about bang for the buck!

I've worked for two manufacturers (HVAC industry) - one has the returns/warranty division in the marketing department, the other has that same division in the engineering division. The difference is between looking at returns/warranty claims as a nuisance/PITA or as an opportunity.

And as GolfSpy T says - when it's a competitive marketplace, you gotta make your opportunities. When there's not a ton of real difference between what you're selling and what your major competitors are selling, you need to differentiate any and every way you can. Hence the white heads, "love your driver," 17 more yards and this type of customer experience. And it's that overall experience - from the ads to the programs to the retail displays and to the confidence in the equipment - that move people to buy. And share their experiences with others.

It's like the punchline from the old joke, "Father, I'm telling EVERYBODY!"

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I cracked my first club yesterday. It was a Ben Hogan 21* hybrid. I have only been playing with this since 2004. I would call them up and see if they would replace it but I guess I am simply out of luck. You can not see the crack but all of a sudden it felt dead. So I submerged it in a bowl of water and bubbles started coming out. So it is dead. And I though Hogan clubs were quality and here it is I did not even get 10 years worth of use out of it. Piece of crap.;)

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Update on my original post. R11s showed up via fed ex this afternoon.

I'll post some pics when I have time

Taylormade comes through big time!

What's my Handicap? Just look in my Golf Bag. Every club in there is my handicap.

Finally got around to adding photos. Alas, can't do it on the ipad.

box.JPGhead.JPG

Have you played with it yet? How does it compare to your old one?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Have you played with it yet? How does it compare to your old one?

I have only had one short range session and one round. I am still working the adjustments to get them where they work best for me. On my good drives I am averaging about 10 yards further over my R9 460. While I do like the white club head for alignment, it tends to be a bit distracting on my take away. I caught myself twice watching the white as I swung back away from the ball.

I am hoping the rain lets up this week so I can get some good range time in. I do like the club, just need to get the new "feel" to be second nature.

When we had the golf shop we had a good experience with Callaway. My best friends daughter who is a college player cracked her Hogan CS-5 driver by then Callaway had bought the Hogan line I called them and the ser rep said that they did not m ake that line anymore but he would see what he could do. He called back the same day and said he had 2 options they could replace it with a new Callaway of her choice or that he had located a course near us ( in fact the pro there is a friend of mine) that still had 3 of those drivers with her specs in stock and they would make arraingments for me to pick up one there free of charge. She chose the latter. That my friends is customer service. I personally have not delt with Taylor. I have had my rift with Adams in the past and i will not go into it again on here because i was told I was an entitlenmented arse and such and such. As far as the Cally deal with my friends daughter they made a customer for life she plays all Cally except for wedges and putter. Personally I have switched to Wishon on my driver and they have an outstanding warranty on all their products and great customer service and i still game an old Cally steelhead 3 wood (12 yrs old) and my 7 wood is an old Taylor V steel

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I got excellent customer service from Spalding a couple of times, but that, unfortunately, didn't keep them in the golf business.

MacGregor, Spalding, and Wilson were the big three back then. Imagine.

[/quote Spalding man that brings back good memories back in the 60s and 70s they had the best custom grind iron dept in the business

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Had a very similar situation recently at work. Had a customer bring in a '09 Burner he bought last year and there was a crack right where the face and crown meet. Called up Tmag as he contacted them and they told him to bring it to us. I called up gave my info and they said they'd have a new one out to him shortly. Took the specs from me and his new driver arrived in about a week. Brand new burner superfast 2.0. Not a bad upgrade for him but I was really impressed at the way they handled it all. Prepaid shipping labels and quick turnaround. A tip of the cap to Tmag on this one. They're great to deal with. Had good experiences sending stuff back to Nike as well just takes them a little too long. 3+ weeks for a wedge reshafting under warranty.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Had a very similar situation recently at work. Had a customer bring in a '09 Burner he bought last year and there was a crack right where the face and crown meet. Called up Tmag as he contacted them and they told him to bring it to us. I called up gave my info and they said they'd have a new one out to him shortly. Took the specs from me and his new driver arrived in about a week. Brand new burner superfast 2.0. Not a bad upgrade for him but I was really impressed at the way they handled it all. Prepaid shipping labels and quick turnaround. A tip of the cap to Tmag on this one. They're great to deal with. Had good experiences sending stuff back to Nike as well just takes them a little too long. 3+ weeks for a wedge reshafting under warranty.

Definitely a tip of the cap to TMag. I have a harder time getting warranty work done on my Honda then I did with the club replacement. The whole process was a pleasant surprise. I make sure I tell the story to anyone who will listen. TMag deserves the publicity for a job well done.

Best part of the whole story is the 10-12 yards more of carry that I am getting.

Similar story for me with Callaway. I bought a used FT5 from the BST on another site that I paid a whopping 25 bucks for. I picked it up for the VS proto shaft and when the driver came I hit it and ended up putting it in my bag. Hitting balls before a tournament and cracked the head. Five minute call to Callaway and I had a new FT9 in a few days. Service was great and far above anything I would have expected.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I'm so glad I read this thread. Thank you OP for posting it.

I had a R7 quad that my friend put a dent in many years ago. I took it to Golf Town and the sales guy there said there's no way that they would warranty it. He began to lecture me about how it was club abuse blah blah blah. I'm like "listen, I don't need your lecture, I don't know what happened exactly, but I thought I'd try" I accepted that the damage was due to a mishit by a bad golfer and then put it away in my closet of old clubs because I might use the aldila NV shaft at some point.

When I read this thread, I checked the TMag site and unfortunately my club was out of warranty. I called anyways and explained my story, and if it wasn't for the idiot at golf town, I would have still been in warranty. The TMag golf customer service rep said she could send me an R9 from their refurb dept. I accepted it as anything would have been better, and I really didn't expect anything. At the very least, my brother is just picking up golf and he could use it to learn from.

At the end of our conversation (we had a nice chat about family etc), the rep said she changed her mind and she would send me a R11s! I was thrilled! Picked it up today and I'll give it a go, but I don't think it'll knock my PING i20 out of the bag.

Here's another thumbs up to taylormade customer service. I wasn't a big fan of them before, but I am now! Thank you OP!

Archived