Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Course Management - How Would You Play This Hole?

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

In the interest of keeping things a bit easier for members to follow along please quote the hole you are references when responding so we know which hole is being discussed.

It should help keep things a bit more organized as we have new members enter the discussion and more holes being highlighted for discussion!

59 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

How I would play that hole depends on how far it is to the first creek from the tee.

According to the yardage book at the USA Today golf site, it's 226 to carry the first creek at Waialae #5.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/yardage-book-waialae-2024-sony-open-hawaii-pga-tour-course-guide/

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

As usual you didn't give us enough info. But the temps will range somewhere in the 70s with winds between 14 and 20mph.  Since I've never played this course I did some research and found the tee shot is completely blind and uphill. From the tips it looks like 226 to clear first stream. Given that it's either my hybrid 4 or a 5 iron for my layup. The second shot appears to play down hill. So depending upon the slope I'm choosing the club that gets me to 100 yards;. My score depends upon how close to the flag I play my 3rd shot.

Roger Beusch

44 minutes ago, RHB75 said:

As usual you didn't give us enough info. But the temps will range somewhere in the 70s with winds between 14 and 20mph.  Since I've never played this course I did some research and found the tee shot is completely blind and uphill. From the tips it looks like 226 to clear first stream. Given that it's either my hybrid 4 or a 5 iron for my layup. The second shot appears to play down hill. So depending upon the slope I'm choosing the club that gets me to 100 yards;. My score depends upon how close to the flag I play my 3rd shot.

What info are you looking for exactly?  I gave the course name, tee location, distance of hole and the wind conditions. 

Part of the fun is checking out some of the course and photos online.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I didn't fly all the way from the east coast to play a course in Hawaii just to lay up!!!!! Driver all the way! (unless of course its after 2030 and I have run out of my stash of LONG golf balls  😆)

I should be able to carry the first creek for the next couple years, but it will admittedly be an anxious moment until I see it bounce on the other side.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

6 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Ok, this thread lost a little steam.  Adding a little twist to this one.  Looking at this weeks event at the Sony Open and the stats, the hardest playing hole on the course so far is the 5th hole.  

Let's consider 20mph crosswinds and playing from the tips.  How are you playing it?

Par 4 - 467 yards

SonyOpenHole5.png.47fcf01ce908cfee852387394bc930f2.png

similar to @GolfSpy_APH, 260 find some fairway, then my Ping 430 19 degree 3 hybrid second shot, find a corner of the green- 2 putt par, make up 1/2 stroke on the field lol

committed to performance excellence

2 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

According to the yardage book at the USA Today golf site, it's 226 to carry the first creek at Waialae #5.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/yardage-book-waialae-2024-sony-open-hawaii-pga-tour-course-guide/

In that case, I would hit my driver, unless it was playing directly into the wind. With a “normal” drive, this would leave me with a 200-220 yard second shot, which could be anything from a 5-iron (maybe even a 6-iron) to a 4-hybrid, depending on wind and elevation change to the green.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!