Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Jerry Rice eyes pro golf tour

Moecat

http://www.mercurynews.com/golf/ci_14698301

By Eric Pinkela

for the Mercury News

Posted: 03/18/2010 06:47:13 AM PDT

Updated: 03/18/2010 06:47:15 AM PDT

For two decades, Jerry Rice sat atop the football world as arguably its best player. Then Rice parlayed that success into a second career as a reality television star. But for all his fame and fortune, there was one person with whom Rice was desperate to trade places this week.

That man was James Hahn, minor-league golfer. And here's the punchline: When it comes to golf, Rice isn't joking. The Hall of Fame receiver would love to have Hahn's résumé on the fairways and greens.

Hahn, from Alameda, is a rookie on the Nationwide Tour — the PGA Tour's version of Triple-A — but he has three top-25 finishes this season.

Rice, 47, is trying to follow in Hahn's footsteps and enter the world of professional golf. To that end, Rice will be tournament host and will play as a pro in next month's Fresh Express Classic at TPC Stonebrae in Hayward.

At a news conference this week, the legendary wide receiver marveled at Hahn's accomplishments on the Canadian Tour and at the PGA Tour qualifying tournament, then he rubbed Hahn's arm, hoping that some of that ability would rub off.

"I'm a little nervous about playing, to be honest with you," said Rice, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this summer. "I would love to be in his shoes."

Rice has said that turning pro isn't a publicity stunt; he is trying to make an earnest career change. He said this week that he hopes to turn his sponsor's exemption into a respectable showing at Stonebrae. Rice wouldn't pin himself down on what that means exactly, but he said playing on the weekend would be a great start to his life as a tour pro.

"If I make the cut, man, I'm going to go home and dance," said Rice, who famously wowed audiences on "Dancing with the Stars." "Wow, that would be like a dream come true."

Rice talked about the Fresh Express Classic (to be held April 15-18) as only the beginning of his venture. He said that just learning how to play in a tournament with other professionals would be beneficial to his goal of playing on the PGA Tour.

"I believe to elevate your game, you have to play with the best," Rice said. "That's what I'm trying to do."

And nobody is saying, at least to Rice, that he can't do it. Even Hahn, 28, said he believes Rice can have some success on the golf course.

That idea might be farfetched, but so is the idea of the ultra-famous Rice desperately trying to coordinate a practice round with the little-known Hahn, a former Cal player. At one point, Rice demanded Hahn's phone number while Hahn could only smile and agree.

Hahn's own spot in this tournament is nearly as unbelievable as Rice's. Just four years ago, Hahn was saving money to make another run at becoming a touring pro by working at a country club, an advertising agency and even at Nordstrom's. During a one-year stretch of his life as a working man, Hahn did not touch a golf club. Not once.

Then he went to the driving range and realized he still had some game.

So began his climb to a spot on the dais this week with one of the NFL's all-time greats — from selling shoes to Rice wanting to be in his Foot Joys.

Has anyone seen him play? Maybe at the Edgewood event? I assume that this means that he plays to a (+) index....

He plays golf about as well as he dances except he gets no personality points on the golf course. His big smile can only take him so far. :)

Semper Fi

My Club

• SPY VIP

So this is likely another person who is a touch delusional about how good the players are on tour. I don't doubt him as an athlete, but going to the range to find you "still have some game" and then assuming the next step is to go pro is a touch silly.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

So this is likely another person who is a touch delusional about how good the players are on tour. I don't doubt him as an athlete, but going to the range to find you "still have some game" and then assuming the next step is to go pro is a touch silly.

There are a lot of athletes who think just because they are good at one sport it will carry over to all of the others. Shaq and Junior Seau even have had TV shows where they challenge other athletes at their sport. Just look at Michael Strahan in the Sports Authority commercials. He isn't really that good at baseball.

There are a lot of athletes who think just because they are good at one sport it will carry over to all of the others. Shaq and Junior Seau even have had TV shows where they challenge other athletes at their sport. Just look at Michael Strahan in the Sports Authority commercials. He isn't really that good at baseball.

........and the great Tiger Woods managed to dribble a few to the warning track in Fenway Park during a batting practice session. The Green Monster is only about 315 feet from home plate and he couldn't reach it.

Semper Fi

My Club

I wish him good luck, always loved him as a player and a spokes person for the NFL. A career done right!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I wish him good luck, always loved him as a player and a spokes person for the NFL. A career done right!

He is well liked, especially here in norcal, and I too would want him to succeed?

Do you think he has a chance still?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived