Does your golf course play "winter tees" in the off season?

Everyone regardless of ability plays from the Blue tees (senior tees). It isn't anything to do with distance, but all to do with wear and tear on the course in these months. Also there are no carts (driving or push) allowed. Carry bags only till end of March or even April.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I’ve seen courses move some tee boxes around and leave some in place, while other courses just have their regular boxes.  

We still have carts allowed, but depends on how wet the course is, some days go cart path only.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Hello everyone,

I play at Falmouth CC in Falmouth, ME. It’s a private club that stays open outside until snow “sticks” for >24hr. Last year they didn’t close until mid-Dec and we’re still open currently. They only remove tips and white(senior) and leave Blue, Green, Red. They also have Trackman outdoor range with heated bays as well as Trackman4 indoor set ups. Playing year round in some capacity is convenient and nice to be able to play outside longer than any other courses as they have the grounds crew to do it. Would love to hear about other snowy places and how their courses handle closing.

KD

Hey everybody,

Living in Texas, it's not so much an issue at this point. Maybe going into late January or February. Overall they just eventually make it cart path only and I will just go to my push cart since it might actually be faster. I haven't heard of winter tees but that's probably because winter here is basically non-existent. I am very curious to hear other areas decisions on this!

Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Bag is feeling betrayed with no TaylorMade items in it currently. Former College golfer.

image.png.d46e5ea58c55d6c5b02a89db1e501fe0.pngCallaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5 

MALTBYLOGO.jpg.0646542edb9be52e2d129f96a13cdf88.jpg Maltby KE4 TC Pro IST 3 Wood & 7 Wood

macgregorlogo.png.2b6b2f0aa401683f12327c6a121cfa9e.png  MACSPD 5-PW Irons

image.png CG14 60 degree

image.png.968287d9caeb64893046ab6bd3357bf0.pngT22 Copper C Grind 56.06 Degree

image.png Cleveland Cleveland Golf HB Soft Premier #10.5C OS 35"

image.png.13bdddbdaccc707e6f342d9f8e7bfe4e.png OnCore Vero X2 & X1 balls

Red Rooster Testing Review:

Titleist White Box Testing Review:

Some of the courses don't even put out tee markers. More of an open tee approach and people just tee from where they prefer.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

38 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Everyone regardless of ability plays from the Blue tees (senior tees). It isn't anything to do with distance, but all to do with wear and tear on the course in these months. Also there are no carts (driving or push) allowed. Carry bags only till end of March or even April.

ahh, thanks, we are "cart paths only" and also can only use "multi mats" on the cut portion of the fairway, you can hit out of the rough without them if you want, it really helps keep the course in good shape and allows us to "compact" the ball instead of sweep it off the wet muddy ground.

committed to performance excellence

30 minutes ago, Dilly22 said:

Hello everyone,

I play at Falmouth CC in Falmouth, ME. It’s a private club that stays open outside until snow “sticks” for >24hr. Last year they didn’t close until mid-Dec and we’re still open currently. They only remove tips and white(senior) and leave Blue, Green, Red. They also have Trackman outdoor range with heated bays as well as Trackman4 indoor set ups. Playing year round in some capacity is convenient and nice to be able to play outside longer than any other courses as they have the grounds crew to do it. Would love to hear about other snowy places and how their courses handle closing.

At Olympic View on Vancouver Island we only close when the frost gets too solid, we open on occasion with temporary greens or some temporary greens, and we use Multi Mats, I would like to see the total yardage of the course adjusted to maybe 56-5800 yds as the ball probably fly's 10% shorter in the winter.

Almost all of the courses that I play on my winter golf tour that plays in NJ and PA keep all of their tee boxes open year-round. We all play the same tees (usually a mix of blue and white tees that play to an average course length of 6,300-6,400 yards), regardless of the player’s age, handicap or gender. We have two female golfers on the tour; one is an LPGA Professional and the other is a top nationally-ranked female amateur with a plus handicap. This applies to golfers from age 21 to 89 (our one 90+ year old participant who had played 55 years on the tour finally dropped out this year).

Now, as for reducing wear and tear on these courses, many of which are at high-end private country clubs, some require power carts to remain on the cart paths, some ban the use of power carts including powered push carts, and a few mandate carrying one’s golf bag. I use a MotoCaddy powered push cart much of the time, although I own a standard non-powered push cart as well. However, I have gone to carrying my bag in recent events and will likely continue doing this for the balance of our winter season, dropping a few clubs from my bag to lighten the load on the longer, hilly and spread-out courses. Last week, I had only 10 clubs in my bag, and for this week’s event I will be carrying 12 clubs (this week’s course is relatively flat, and has been touted as one of the most “walkable” courses in NJ).

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

Almost all of the courses that I play on my winter golf tour that plays in NJ and PA keep all of their tee boxes open year-round. We all play the same tees (usually a mix of blue and white tees that play to an average course length of 6,300-6,400 yards, regardless of the player’s age, handicap or gender (we have two female golfers on the tour, one is an LPGA Professional and the other is a top nationally-ranked female amateur with a plus handicap). This applies to golfers from age 21 to 89 (our one 90+ year old participant who had played 55 years on the tour finally dropped out this year).

Now, as for reducing wear and tear on these courses, many of which are at high-end private country clubs, some require power carts to remain on the cart paths, some ban the use of power carts including powered push carts, and a few mandate carrying one’s golf bag. I use a MotoCaddy powered push cart much of the time, although I own a standard non-powered push cart. However, I have gone to carrying my bag in recent events and will likely continue doing this for the balance of our winter season, dropping a few clubs from my bag to lighten the load on the longer, hilly and spread-out courses. Last week, I had only 10 clubs in my bag, and for this week’s event I will be carrying 12 clubs (this week’s course is relatively flat, and has been touted as one of the most “walkable” courses in NJ).

I like the flexibility you are showing by only taking the amount of clubs you feel you need, great idea

Most courses I play keep the same tee boxes. They will use 2 different holes with a single flag and the hole is rotated by the group as they get to the green by placing the flag in the other hole

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Certain tee boxes are lumped together due to inclement weather circumstances,  wear and tear, etc. Sometimes all 4 are on 1 box, sometimes on 2 boxes. Also depending if they have a tournament playing the following week.  Very rarely do they have them on temporary tee boxes (ie, off to the side or in front of a tee box)

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

By the way, we have been averaging about 110 players per weekly event on this winter golf tour, which runs from late October through early April (25 events for the 2023-24 tour, including two 2-day events). There is a cap of 120 golfers per tournament, and this week’s event has 114 registered despite forecasted temperatures in the low-mid 30s all day.

Our one female amateur player currently has a GHIN Handicap Index of +2, and her tour handicap has been as low as +5. She has only shot two rounds above par on this season’s tour, and both of those scores were one over par.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

19 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

Now there is a great idea, thank you....

Grass is pretty dormant this time of year so they don't really mow the tee boxes. Makes it easier to go find a place to hit from when you can just hit from where there is still grass present. Can also make those longer par 3's a lot shorter, lol

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

All the courses I play have the same tee boxes they have during the summer.   There may an occasional movement if the tee box is in really bad shape,  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What is this thing called Winter?  😆

My course struggles to move the tee boxes in general and they definitely don't remove any.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Located in North Texas, we usually don't see changes in tee box due to winter, however, we will encounter cart path only days due to overly wet conditions on the course. 

We are fortunate enough to be able to play year-round and our local golf association has events scheduled every week with exception of holiday weeks. 

While frost may delay start times, rain or icy conditions tend to be the only limiting factors in maintaining our scheduled rounds.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Our course is open all year, but closes when it snows and we have frost delays occasionally.  We played today in the rain; I hate rain.  We only have cart paths around the teeing grounds, the greens, and par 3's.  The fairways are wide open, so no CPO.  Tees are the same, except this time of the year they have a goose poop hazards.  Distance off the tees is not significantly limited in winter; cold weather causes loss of distance, but firm (sometimes frozen) fairways gives quite a bit of roll.  The greens have two permanent holes with a plug in the one not used, but if the weather cooperates, a new hole may be cut.  Greens and fairways are still surprising green for this time of the year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My course uses winter tees that aren't zoysia, and may actually close off the tournament tees, but I'd have to double-check as I never play from them anyway.

The course is cart path or walking only between Nov 15 and April 15, and the championship course closes on weekdays for that time period as well.

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

My course moves the tees up in front of the tee boxes in the winter.  My 1st hole in one came on winter tees, so they didn't officially recognize it as a hole in one.  We still hooped and hollered like a bunch of idiots though.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

My regular course here in PA tries to stay open until the weather closes in.  They had been closing the tee boxes and moving 1 set of tees forward or to the side to an open area in the rough between the regular tee boxes and the fairway.  Usually not very flat or mowed low like a regular tee box.  At some point this area gets so muddy it's not very usable.  Whatever.  We're still getting to play until the snow starts to fly.  

I'm always walking with a pushcart to stay warm at this point.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FW: 3HL Callaway Paradym

FW: 5 Callaway Mavrik

Hybird: Rogue ST 5

Irons: Paradym X 6-AW, UST Dart 75g

Wedges: Vokey TM9, 52F, 58S

Putter: Odessey OG 

Callaway Chromesoft or Titleist Tour Speed