Haywood CB/MB Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts here!

@Nunfa0 - Main Post

@CB Lobo 4 Life - Main Post 

@frazzman80Main Post

@ArizonaLogan - Main Post

12 hours ago, haywoodgolf said:

Agreed! Clubs are tools that are meant to get used which will subsequently mark up.

By nature of the different materials, any forged club (softer carbon) will have more dents and nicks than the harder cast products in the market.

(with all that said, we have had a couple customers purchase our custom 100's and put them on the wall as an art piece in their office so those won't be seeing nicks and dings anytime soon 🤣)

Seeing as how you brought up the 100s and I was just looking at the website..... 😂

1) Was there ever a thought to have someone test out the 100s as well as the MBs/CBs?

2) What is the overall difference between the MBs and the 100s? outside of the V sole?

3) I would have loved to test these irons, because i'm in that headspace where I'm toying with doing something with either my current irons in terms of a refurb, or buying a new set...... I know that for this test, you guys helped the testers out with a virtual fitting. Assuming for obvious reasons, that is not a standard, in terms of going to get a fitting, what irons would you recommend getting fitted for that would make the most sense, either for the MBs (probably would go CB in 4/5) or the 100s

Driver: TSR3 w/Red Ventus Velo 7x

3w: TSi3 w/Red Ventus Velo 7x

hybrid: TS 3 w/Tensei CK Blue

irons: Nike VR combo. 3-6 split cavity, 7-Pw blade X100

wedges: sm9 52, RTX zipcore 58

putter: SC Select Flowback 5

4 hours ago, haywoodgolf said:

1) The 100's are a limited production iron (150 sets total have ever been made) so they won't be offered in a testing format as we won't ever have mass supply of them. The goal was a personal / passion project to make something unique and different that at the time didn't really exist outside of one other model, being 100% CNC milled from a block or carbon steel.

2) The 100's are 100% milled from a block as mentioned above, whereas the MB's are forged 4x to shape and then milled to spec. The head shape and size is different with the 100's being more compact (shorter heel to toe) with different weighting / CG profile. The 100's also have a sharp leading edge, so best for those who pick the ball versus aggressive diggers where the MB's can suit both.

Can see some of the process of the 100's in one of our social posts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKh0HMwFmJs/?igsh=ODVhcm5qZWNmYWJ0

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

9 hours ago, haywoodgolf said:

1) The 100's are a limited production iron (150 sets total have ever been made) so they won't be offered in a testing format as we won't ever have mass supply of them. The goal was a personal / passion project to make something unique and different that at the time didn't really exist outside of one other model, being 100% CNC milled from a block or carbon steel.

2) The 100's are 100% milled from a block as mentioned above, whereas the MB's are forged 4x to shape and then milled to spec. The head shape and size is different with the 100's being more compact (shorter heel to toe) with different weighting / CG profile. The 100's also have a sharp leading edge, so best for those who pick the ball versus aggressive diggers where the MB's can suit both.

Can see some of the process of the 100's in one of our social posts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKh0HMwFmJs/?igsh=ODVhcm5qZWNmYWJ0

Amazing!!!

Now makes much more sense as to regards the 100s. They really do look beautiful.

Thank you for such a detailed response.

I took the clubs for a couple of spins over the weekend, there's not a lot to report. I managed to shoot 80 (7 over par) on Saturday after starting double-double. One shot that does stick out was a low, spinning PW around a tree to a two-tier green. It pitched on the green and zipped back about 6 feet. Not only did it rip, but I was able to manoeuvre it exactly as I envisioned it. Another was a punched 6 iron out of a divot from behind a tree. Again, it played out better than I hoped and lead to an up and down par. So, the irons showed their chops when it comes to shot shaping. 

Sunday, I have been getting too flat with my swing so I spent the day trying to get "high hands" so needless to say, I struggled. When I did hit a good shot, the irons felt great but thats about all I can say. Not the clubs fault, it was purely mine.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

One thing I haven't spoken much about is the turf interaction with these clubs. They have a small sole and naturally therefore a smaller bounce profile.

image.png.0303db21073bdc39106ebb8738c202ac.png

This was made even lower by my irons being bent two degrees lower in loft. I did think that I could have created a problem for myself, that I would be digging trenches everywhere, but this has not been the case. These irons are able to skip through the turf with ease, no matter where on the course you are. I just wish I had more photos of divots but I was having too much fun hitting the ball 😳.

image.png.7d2b9e934ccd07b7cbb8d619b9aeb588.png

This was a full swing with a 4 iron that was pure and as you can see, it just kissed the surface. This type of divot continues down the bag to the scoring irons, which do take bigger divots but nothing ridiculous. Out of long rough, these clubs act almost like a scythe, taking a nice stripe of grass and not really getting "stuck", ripping the face closed on impact or digging down into the depths.

I will try to get more divot photos soon, but I will leave you with the view through my windscreen from this morning...

image.png.466d88df8c5a8c8fa983b2f026793c4a.png

All I can say is "Winter is Coming!!"

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

5 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

One thing I haven't spoken much about is the turf interaction with these clubs. They have a small sole and naturally therefore a smaller bounce profile.

image.png.0303db21073bdc39106ebb8738c202ac.png

This was made even lower by my irons being bent two degrees lower in loft. I did think that I could have created a problem for myself, that I would be digging trenches everywhere, but this has not been the case. These irons are able to skip through the turf with ease, no matter where on the course you are. I just wish I had more photos of divots but I was having too much fun hitting the ball 😳.

image.png.7d2b9e934ccd07b7cbb8d619b9aeb588.png

This was a full swing with a 4 iron that was pure and as you can see, it just kissed the surface. This type of divot continues down the bag to the scoring irons, which do take bigger divots but nothing ridiculous. Out of long rough, these clubs act almost like a scythe, taking a nice stripe of grass and not really getting "stuck", ripping the face closed on impact or digging down into the depths.

I will try to get more divot photos soon, but I will leave you with the view through my windscreen from this morning...

image.png.466d88df8c5a8c8fa983b2f026793c4a.png

All I can say is "Winter is Coming!!"

I've noticed the same thing @Nunfa0. In soft conditions, I've actually (for the first time ever) had to go track down chunks of grass and dirt and replace my divot in the fairway on shots that I didn't hit fat!!! In hard dry conditions, there isn't any "crap, that bounced" after hitting the ground. In rough, especially some of the thicker bermuda I've hit from (summer is coming here and the grass is growing thanks to the spring rains), it has always come out better than I expected it to so far. It really does cut through the turf with ease. 

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

Something that has truly impressed me about these irons is the consistency when it comes to distance. It seems to be if I put a good swing on the shot and make good contact, I can be very confident that the ball will land at the distance I want, give or take 5 yards. Of course, if my swing decides to glitch, I hit it thin or fat or miss the grooves, then I am punished and deservedly so. 

On 4/30/2024 at 2:30 PM, Rob Person said:

For the testers, so far, is there anything about the clubs you would change or wish was different?

It is difficult to nitpick on anything about the Haywood because they are such wonderful irons. However, if I were to change one thing, it would be to make the MBs a little more "Tour" "-like. What I mean by that is that where I think the CBs are nearly perfect for players/forgiving forged iron sets. I think the MBs falter in looking like a "blade." Now, again, this is very much my opinion and I truly think the MBs are incredible as well I just think they look just a hair more chunky than I would prefer.  I love seeing that thin, topline, shorter face. For some reason, it makes me feel like I will be more precise. I will go over this in more detail in my conclusion of aesthetics this week, but suffice it to say that this is something I think would be a welcomed improvement. 

Here is an example compared to my prior gamers, Srixon Z - Forged II (8-Iron)

image.png.8a382c8dca76897a92c690ff773c6e76.png

image.png.d5603dc5241e8dd4344d8db0eb9ba1b0.png

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

I wanted to start a discussion here, and maybe it already has, but my brother and I were arguing about it last night. The discussion topic in question is that of iron Feel. My argument was on the side of softer irons, and he was that irons are better when they feel more firm. My brother argued that firmer-feeling irons provide more feedback and a greater opportunity for swing/shot correction. I argued that an inherently softer feeling club allows for a greater response, as when you do not hit the center of the face contact, you will notice more because the center of the face is the softest part. This will allow you to make truer corrections for that buttery, crispy feel of soft forged irons. So, with all this being said, I would like to hear from you all: 

What is better, soft or firm, feeling irons, and why?

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Lobo.jpg

1 hour ago, CB Lobo 4 Life said:

I wanted to start a discussion here, and maybe it already has, but my brother and I were arguing about it last night. The discussion topic in question is that of iron Feel. My argument was on the side of softer irons, and he was that irons are better when they feel more firm. My brother argued that firmer-feeling irons provide more feedback and a greater opportunity for swing/shot correction. I argued that an inherently softer feeling club allows for a greater response, as when you do not hit the center of the face contact, you will notice more because the center of the face is the softest part. This will allow you to make truer corrections for that buttery, crispy feel of soft forged irons. So, with all this being said, I would like to hear from you all: 

I have not been able to play many different iron sets...in fact, I've had 3 since 2000. A set of Cleveland TA3s, the Callaway Apex 19s and these Haywoods I'm testing. The TA3s were accurate and soft, but the distance and forgiveness was lacking and the reason why when I was fit into the Callaways I had a big jump in distance and forgiveness. The Callaways felt so solid, but while I gained 20 yards by the number on the club and the forgiveness on mishits was better (left to right dispersion), the front to back yardage on the Callaways was a con because I never knew if I was going to get a 170 yard 7-iron or a 150-yard one and I could never tell where/how I missed on the face as to why. With the Haywoods, which are softer, I can tell you where I miss immediately, and I think that's important for me to understand what the ball is doing and where it going. I can't fix the miss on that swing, but the feedback tells me what I need to know and matches the ball flight/outcome of the shot. 

In other words, the softer irons let me know it is me. The firmer Callaways often leave me going "why did it do that"? Was it the club or me...did I toe that or thin it a bit or fat it or what? 

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CB Lobo 4 Life said:

I'm in the same camp as Frazzman; I want the pure shots to feel pure and effortles. And I don't mind helpful feedback from off-center strikes.

Starting off with my current "in the bag" irons: The Maltby TS4s have been the best at reserving the soft and effortless feel only for the best shots, while still giving forgiveness on miss-hits. Bad stikes with Maltby TS4s don't feel "bad" to me, but there is enough negative feedback so that I can still tell where the miss was.

20240508_122816.jpg.a2e9984d37362aada4c8274a9a81745b.jpg(Above) "Attractive irons on ugly truck." Photo by Arizona Logan.

Frazz mentioned that some Callaway irons always felt "firm". I had a similar experience, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. I formerly used the Tour Edge C722 irons before I got my TS4s, and the C722s always felt "softer" (but not as soft as forged irons) no matter where the strike location was. This was weird to me because the far-toe/heel strikes had the same feel as the good strikes.

The Haywoods are very similar to the Maltby TS4s in the "soft-feel to good-strike" ratio, but they do lose some feedback on slight toe and heel strikes. I imagine this is because the Haywood irons have a more "pronounced" blade length despite being more or less identical (refer to the images below).

20240508_120404.jpg.f6812a1a18154623cc76766999fa2054.jpg(Above) Haywood MB 8 iron; length of flat face area.

20240508_120333.jpg.31560e2e09aa13870b3bafab4aa2384a.jpg
(Above) Maltby TS4 8 iron; length of flat face area.

Bottom line: I don't mind how the Haywood irons tame the feeling of slight toe and heel strikes, but in the long term, I could subconsciously get complacent about strike quality.

Edited by ArizonaLogan
Edits

PXGLogo.jpg.0c92800daa172651d766b6819f37e9f9.jpg: 0311 Gen5 - Driver

:adams-small:: Tight Lies - 3W

I need an 18°-19° club.

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TS4 - 4-PW

url(1).jpg.d0326cc5029d710568433f5df6fe1efc.jpg: TSW - 50°, 54°,58°

:odyssey-small:: Toulon Design Austin - Putter

Posted (edited)

Round 10 in the books with the Haywoods today! Actually, since I had to play the front nine twice at River Bend GC in Floresville, TX, I'm going to do round 10 from the white tees and a post immediately following this for round 11 from the black/tips. Little to no wind today though the temp was 95 when I teed off and the heat index was 104, so would the heat/humidity affect carry distance of would the Haywoods stay true to their yardages?

Hole 1 - After a crushed drive, I was 106.5 per the laser. This is that tricky in between distance too far for my 53 and not a full PW for the Haywood. I've been going 3/4 swing Haywood on these and once again it is proving to not be so tricky. I pured it and it drew right at the hole. 102 yards and 18' just short. GIR 1

Hole 2 - 164.2 paying 158.5 pin in front - I thought to myself that I would muscle a 7I to there, even though it's been my 150 club. I don't know why I did that, but it proved to be a caddy error as I struck it great and watched as it landed short, hopped left down a slope and finished short left just shy of the fringe. 156 yards total...should have hit 6I. No GIR, but I did get up and down. 

Hole 3 - You know, I don't want to talk about hole 3. 

Fine...It's a forced carry drive on the par 5 over water and all down the right side with another river down the entire left side. I hit driver an didn't make the carry/leaked it right. I hit a provisional and topped it. I finally got the 2nd provisional into the fairway (barely).

I had over 325 to the pin, so layup was the shot, but theres another forced carry for water in the middle/left of the fairway. I hit 4I, and caught it thin/toe and it leaked right on me. I thought it had crossed the cart path and I couldn't find the ball and just as the 3 minutes was about up (thanks Arccos, if you know about how far you normally hit a club, the distance from last shot feature is SO helpful for looking in an area about that distance) and I found it in some rough on the fairway side of the cart path. This shot went 180 yards. 

I lasered 142.8 from a rough lie that I knew I wasn't going to get spin from so I pulled 8I. I struck it marverlously despite the lie (hooray knifing through the rough with the Haywood sole) and it came out just a bit left, but 32' putt and GIR #2.

Hole 4 - I sliced driver right into the ugly rough again and had 176 playing 179.9 uphill and into the wind just a bit. I took 4 iron and topped it. It went 124 yards. I did make a good chip from 52 out but didn't get up and down. NO GIR.

Hole 5 - This is a drivable par 4, but they had the pin tucked up front/right immediately tucked behind a deep bunker (like 5 paces on - you couldn't see the bottom of the flagstick). So instead of bombing driver, I took 4I thinking I could hit pull 57 and get a ton of spin on it. 4I off the tee was perfect...dead center of the fairway 196 yards. I had 60.5 to the pin and hit my Edison 57 just a touch thin. It carried the bunker, landed right by the flag on the downslope and climbed the big backstop (that I was hoping to use to spin the ball back in close) and left me a ridiculously downhill 31 footer for birdie. I mad par. GIR #3 (setup by the great Haywood 4I off the tee).

Hole 6 - Reachable par 5, but I hit another poor drive that sliced right (just stayed in bounds) so I couldn't go for the green in 2. I pulled 5I from a terrible pardpan lie and decided to lay up short/left of the green and away from the water that protects the right front. I kind of fatted it off the hardpan (the divot was slightly behind the ball) and it came out strangely and when it took the first bounce in the fairway it bounded left (I guess it had a lot of left sidespin on it, though it didn't hook much) and it rolled down the left side of the fairway, 178 yards total and a perfect 82.5 in for my 57. I hit that 83 yards but slightly right of target leaving me an 18 footer.

GIR #4 (setup by a great Haywood 5I layup)

Hole 7 - I finally got the driver to go where I aimed and split a fairway. I had 102.7 playing 105.1 uphill to a pin that required a carry over a deep bunker. Once again, this strange in between Haywood PW and Edison 53 yardage. Again, the 3/4 PW was PURE! It was right at the flag! However, I couldn't see where it had landed due to the bunker face. As I got to the green, I wasn't pleased to see it 15' away. The flag was in a terrible placement on about a 10 degree slope. My ball divot was 4 feet long and right of the pin and my ball was 15 feet short and left...it had rolled down the embankment on the green away from the hole. It was one of those putts that if you missed, it would roll back to your feet (or further even). But not mine baby! I made it for the birdie! GIR #5!

Hole 8 - Par 3 measuring 164.2 with the pin the front. I learned my lesson from hole 2 (which was the exact same yardage, but this one isn't downhill) and pulled 6I. I PURED it and it was still drawing in when it landed right of the hole. 166 yards total and an 18 footer! GIR #6!

Hole 9 - I was angry (my putt on 8 lipped out for what would have been back-to-back birdies) so on this 456 yard par 4, I wanted to crush driver...and I did. 307 yards but off the fairway right into the rough. I had 168.1 playing 162.3 so the 6I was back on the job. I hit it so well! Unfortunately, I caught a flyer. It went so high, landed just past the flag and had zero spin. It wound up on the very back of the green 181 yards total (the pin was front/middle, a white flag that could have been red). It wasn't a close putt, but GIR #7!

7 of 9 GIR (and 5 in a row to close out the 9) is stellar. I shot 2 over with 2 balls in the water off the driver on 3. My 10th round in a row with positive strokes gained approach. I know I'm writing my full review in a couple of days, but spoiler alert, these irons kick ass for me. 

IMG_5186.png  IMG_5185.png  IMG_5184.png

IMG_5187.png  IMG_5188.png  IMG_5189.png

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Posted (edited)

Round 11 with the Haywoods!!! OK...it's the front 9 at River Bend GC in Floresville, TX again, but this time it's from the tips!!! 

Hole 1 - I had 176.4 out after an ok drive that just caught the right side of the fairway. I pulled 5I and PURED it. It started on the line I wanted and just didn't draw. It caught the right side of the green and I had a 37 footer for birdie that stopped just short. GIR #1!

Hole 2 - That downhill par 3 that I had just tried to muscle a 7I too about 90 minutes prior was now 172 playing 167.5 and I wasn't going to make the same short/left mistake again, so I pulled 5I. I pured it again and this time it did draw...just a bit much, but it caught the far left side of the green. 180 yards total and a 28 footer coming back. GIR #2!

Hole 3 - EFF YOU HOLE 3 with your STUPID WATER HAZARDS!!!

OK - this drive is so tough from the tournament tee box where they had both the whites and the blacks. I once again failed to navigate the water with my drive. The only good news is that I actually carried it this time and it bounced in the fairway before going into the hazard, so at least I got to drop from there. Had the same layup shot as before but a better lie after the drop than last time and I absolutely SMOKED a 4I staight over the 2nd hazard and 210 total, leaving me that awkward 103.6 yards in to the pin. 3/4 PW again. I hit it just a bit more than I should have and it went 113 total to the back of the green. I hit my Edison 53 just to see if I could get it to 100 yards to see if I can eliminate this odd gap and I pured it and it went exactly 98 yards. SO...I had 2 GIRs, and I'm going to have to figure out this gap issue I have from 100-110 yards. I also 3 putted...

NO GIR due to the water hazard, but another green hit.

Hole 4 - Smoked driver dead center of the fairway. I had 164.7 playing 167.8 uphill and a perfect lie. With the pin in the back, I decided to take 6I and be content if I hit it to the middle of the green. I put it pin high, but slightly right going 168 total and leaving a tricky downhill 24 footer (that I was happy to 2-putt). GIR #3!

Hole 5 - I wanted to try to drive this drivable par 4 this time, despite the bad pin position noted in the post above. Guess what...I hit it into that deep bunker guarding the flag, the one with the pin 5 paces on and a downslope to land on. I was dead and in jail with no way to get it close (I was happy to just get it out). 23 footer later and I made 4 - No Haywood used but GIR #4!

Hole 6 - I crushed my drive again and had 217.7 to the pin with a 207.2 carry over the water. I pulled my Apex 21 and went for it. I bailed on the shot and it went left into a greenside bunker (but carried the water). For fun, I pulled Haywood 4I and said I doubt I can carry this 207...and I was right because I PURED it and it went straight at the flag and splooshed down into the hazard (I'm guessing it carried 190ish). So I played the ball out of the bunker, thinned the crap out of it and GIRed but with a 57' putt from the back of the green down a tier. I almost made it...it was bad/good par. GIR #5!

Hole 7 - Crushed driver again and had 147.2 up the hill playing 152.3 and that big bunker and awful hole on the slope to deal with that I mentioned in the post above. I almost thought about playing away from the hole to the center of the green to guarantee an uphill putt, but pulled 7I and just went for it. I PURED IT and once again it was right at the flag. I couldn't see it, but I was so hoping it was close (or in). It was. I hit it 152 total and once again it had landing about 4-5 right of the pin, but this time it had hopped forward and stopped about 10' feet above and left of the hole. I had a 10' putt, that I told myself to hit 3' and I aimed a solid 6' left of the flag. It missed just on the low side of the hole...and ran out to about 14' below the hole!!! SO ANGRY! I missed the 14 footer up the hill and when the ball started to trickle back, I knew I was going to have to putt another 14 footer. But it came back about 9", wobbled and stopped. I ran to mark it. When I picked it up, someone had done a bad job of repairing a ball mark and my ball had stopped in the small depression. I made the 2 footer. GIR #6!

Hole 8 - This measured 173 even on the laser and I pulled 5I and PURED it...almost too good. It drew right toward the hole but was a bit hot, going 178 total. I missed the 15 footer but was pleased with the par. GIR #7!

Hole 9 - There were 2 high school kids who had finished playing 4 and jumped over to 9 to finish out their round as it was starting to get dark. I asked if they wanted to play the hole together and they agreed. I hit the best drive of the day (gotta show those young kids how its done) and then offered to give them a ride on the cart and save them some steps in the Texas heat. They agreed, one riding inside and the other riding by standing in the back. 

Teenager from the back: "What kind of clubs are these? These are cool. I love the way those look with the lines on the back!" I proceed to tell them they are Haywoods and give them the whole testing story, which they thought was my actual job. I had to tell them no, but they were still impressed enough that they asked for the Website and took out their phones to look it up. 

Teenager from inside the cart: "Have you always played blades?" Me: "Heck no!" Teenager: "What are your normal clubs? Can you actually hit these blades?" he asks as he pulls out the PW. Response: "I play Callaway Players Distance cavity backs normally, and those are supposed to be easy to hit, but honestly, these have been better than my Callaways." They swung them a few times and said they "looked sick" and would look at the review (hooray recruiting/indoctrination!). 

Ok - back to the hole. I was just left of the cartpath after my 312-yard drive on this 458-yard par 4, I had 154.5 left to the hole. I pulled 7I and just caught it ever so slightly fat. It carried about 140, landed on a downslope and kicked hard right, settling on the very right hand side of the green. 150 yards total. GIR #8!

In fact, I hit ALL 9 GREENS but only had 8 GIR due to the water ball on 3. Now did I have an advantage playing the same 9 the 2nd time in 90 minutes...maybe, but from the tips it was a full 300+ yards more and I used very different clubs in, mostly long irons. Get this...the 3.3 strokes gained approach on 9 holes is probably the best I've ever had. My putter wasn't great on this 9 (-2.2 strokes gained putting) but I shot 40 (4 over) with a double on 3 (stupid water). I'm serious...the Haywoods were FIRE!

IMG_5190.png  IMG_5191.png  IMG_5192.png

IMG_5193.png  IMG_5194.png  IMG_5195.png

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

I've updated my main page post with the final review information, data and scoring. Hope everyone enjoys reading as much as I enjoyed testing and writing this up!

Currently in the bag:

4 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

I've updated my main page post with the final review information, data and scoring. Hope everyone enjoys reading as much as I enjoyed testing and writing this up!

couple of things.

1) Firstly and most importantly, congratulations on a Phenomenal review. I’m very new to MGS, and so haven’t followed many tests from beginning to end. Nor have I been selected yet (c’mon with the ventus) but from my limited browsing, that is a standard of a review we can all strive to emulate.

2) My dream set of irons is Miuras. Because, well I don’t think it need explained. A more realistic ser; (read, financially prudent) would be mizunos. I’ve looked at the DTCs, like Caley, Maltby and of course Haywood. The fear I have is spending the $ which, although a lot less than a Major Manufacturer, is still not insignificant, and the fear of not being able to be fit; prior to spending is real. Being honest, it still is a real fear, however, if I do decide to pull the trigger, solid consideration will be given to the Haywood’s due to your review.

3) I knew I was right 🤣 hope you find a home for your now defunct Callaways.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, jordan1016 said:

couple of things.

1) Firstly and most importantly, congratulations on a Phenomenal review. I’m very new to MGS, and so haven’t followed many tests from beginning to end. Nor have I been selected yet (c’mon with the ventus) but from my limited browsing, that is a standard of a review we can all strive to emulate.

2) My dream set of irons is Miuras. Because, well I don’t think it need explained. A more realistic ser; (read, financially prudent) would be mizunos. I’ve looked at the DTCs, like Caley, Maltby and of course Haywood. The fear I have is spending the $ which, although a lot less than a Major Manufacturer, is still not insignificant, and the fear of not being able to be fit; prior to spending is real. Being honest, it still is a real fear, however, if I do decide to pull the trigger, solid consideration will be given to the Haywood’s due to your review.

3) I knew I was right 🤣 hope you find a home for your now defunct Callaways.

1. Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words. Welcome the the MGS forums/club (it feels like a club). Hope you get the opportunity. This was my 1st (I hope of many) and it was a labor of love...and I got to play a lot of golf, so it was definitely a win-win. 

2. My dream set is going to be the one that gets me under par. I can understand wanting the names you've mentioned, but I do believe the Haywoods will help me in this dream endeavor.

3. Gotta give credit where credit is due...and if Vegas had laid odds on this review, you'd be cashing out (maybe even enough for said irons)!!!

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

4 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

Well done!  Hit alot of great points throughout your testing process!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

11 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

Well done!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 5/9/2024 at 1:39 AM, CB Lobo 4 Life said:

This is a very interesting question, which has many different answers.

Everyone dreams of the "butter soft" irons, striking it pure and feeling nothing as the ball rockets away but you still have to strike the centre of the face for that. Not many of us mere mortals can do that all day, every day, so what you really need are clubs that feel good over more of the face. So, for me it's not about soft or firm, it's solid and consistent that I like. Some of the best feeling irons I have ever hit were Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metals, and they were cast, game improvement irons.

17 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

Nicely done! 

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

@frazzman80 great final review. Good job on going into the numbers details for how much you're gaining/losing. Question about the size of the Haywood compared to your Callaway's... Do you think that the bigger face or I guess size of the Haywood helped you increase accuracy a bit?

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

6 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

@frazzman80 great final review. Good job on going into the numbers details for how much you're gaining/losing. Question about the size of the Haywood compared to your Callaway's... Do you think that the bigger face or I guess size of the Haywood helped you increase accuracy a bit?

When I first saw the MBs in particular, my fear of not being able to hit them eroded when I saw that these weren’t butter knifes and, to me, seeing the Haywood’s behind the ball is confidence inspiring. I can’t tell you if the sweet spot is the size of a quarter or a half dollar or a nickel, but for me, the blade length gives me confidence that I’m going to be able to hit it well and if I miss, I’m still going to be good.

I still feel the misses, but the ball speed and distance loss isn’t torturous and I do think the larger blades help with mishits.

Currently in the bag:

@frazzman80 perfect. That's a good way to sum it up. I've kinda felt the same with other clubs I've hit that are longer than my current apex pros. Everything else I have hit is a longer face. And behind the ball it just screams " you won't miss". Being able to maintain that ball speed is huge 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

While I think about my final review, here is a wee video to give you all an impression of how the Haywood's sound. In this I hit 8 then 7.

2 hours ago, ArizonaLogan said:

My review is up, I'll likely add some more photos after school ends in 5 days.

Excellent!!!  Look forward to seeing more from this!!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Hey Everyone, 

I apologize for not getting this link out sooner. I am happy to be able to provide my Final Review and completed post for you all to review! I will be reviewing my round of the Haywoods vs the Srixons here in an actual post soon! Big thanks to Josh and MyGolfSpy for this opportunity;; playing these irons was incredible!

Lobo.jpg