Haywood CB/MB Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts here!

@Nunfa0 - Main Post

@CB Lobo 4 Life - Main Post 

@frazzman80Main Post

@ArizonaLogan - Main Post

On 4/24/2024 at 6:38 AM, LeakyValve said:

@CB Lobo 4 Life this test between clubs has been on my mind since reading everyone’s intros. I’ve always been curious about the Srixon soles and how they match against anything out there. 

really looking forward to more tests. Sounds like the Haywood CB’s might be close but the MB’s may fall behind. 

@LeakyValve I am very excited to get to the point of being able to compare the two! I will be posting a round in the VCT here in a bit and I will be sharing a pretty incredible experience about using them. 

Now, I would not say that the MB's necessarily fall behind. I do feel that with using the MB's in 7-PW I get some incredible feel and the turf interaction is still VERY good. Where I could see them struggle a bit is when you get into 5-4 iron. Hence why I picked the CBs for that reason haha. 

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

I almost didn't want to count today's round 8, but I'll share if for no other reason than this has got to be the worst weather I've ever played in...I mean it was hide under a giant oak tree bad and then 11 holes later hide under some hackberry trees while we got soaked. The only bonus was it didn't hail!

So today was the annual church scholarship 4-man scramble at River Bend GC in Floresville, TX. This has become a family tradition in that my dad, brother and wife play every year along with either my nephews (not today) or my kiddos (yes today). It's the only time all year all of us get to golf together, so we REALLY look forward to it. However, today we saw more rain drops than birdies.

That said - let me tell you how the Haywoods perform in unreal extreme wet conditions.

Hole 15 - They started the tournament full well knowing that it was about to pour. As they made the announcement to start, they said "it looks like this might go around us. (Looks at radar...it's definitely NOT going around us), but they send us out anyway. No Haywood used on this hole...we finished the hole as it started pouring (we made birdie on the par 5). 

Not quite hole 16 - we spent 45 minutes under a giant oak tree trying not to get soaked. We mostly succeeded.

Video of us hiding under the tree.

Hole 16 - It had to have rained an inch. There were literal lakes in the middle of the fairway. We were 134.5 out from the fairway. On my brother's practice swing, he literally launched his 7 iron about 40 yards down the fairway and into a giant puddle. We laughed our asses off. When it came time for me to hit 8I, the grips were so wet there was no way I was going to hit a good shot. I managed to actually hit it high, straight and 125 yards onto the front fringe (not on the green, but we did putt). Used my shot.

Hole 17 - 174.5 uphill par 3. We had nothing but our shirts to try to dry grips. I did my best to hit 5I here, but launched it way right as the club spun in my hands. It went 171 but way right. Didn't use my shot.

Hole 18 - 134.4 to an uphill green. I hit 8I and struck it as pure as any shot could be this day. It flew 127 yards to the center of the green and buried itself in the divot. GIR and used my shot.

Hole 1 - We stopped at the clubhouse to get paper towels from the restroom to try to dry things off. We used my 10 year old's drive even though it was in the rough simply because it was in a spot with no standing water. 130.4 to an uphill green. 8I again that I pured as any shot could be this day. It landed 18' left of the pin, again burying itself in a divot. GIR and we used my shot.

Hole 2 - 156.7 yard slightly downhill par 3. I hit 7I that I pushed just slightly right and landed on the front fringe right (148 yards total). We would have used my shot, but dad hit one slightly more left of mine that crept onto green, so we used his shorter putt. Still, would have been able to putt mine. 

Hole 3 - Par 5 where we had 147.7 yards in. I hit 7 iron again and slipped badly while swinging, leading to a big pull hook that went long left. 163 yards total. Did not use this shot. But did make a birdie putt!

Hole 4 - 176.7 to an slightly uphill green with trees blocking the right side. I pulled 5I and told my brother "I'm going to hook this one in there (after watching my dad hit the tree and he send one way right trying not to). Right before I swing, he informs me "You're lined up at the shitter butka!" I remind him that yes, I'm lined up 30 yards right because "I am going to sling one in there onto the green." He tells me I'm full of s***. I swing and hit it just a tad on the toe, but the shot turned in beautifully from the butka to the center of the green. I wish I would have pured it as I know I lost some distance, but I got it 164 yards and was the only person to hit the green. GIR

Hole 5 - By the time we tee off it's raining again. No Haywood used on this drivable par 4 (driver, wedge, birdie because there was a lake on the green that stopped the ball 4' from the hole).

Hole 6 - It's raining harder now, but we're playing on! The heavy stuff isn't going to come down for a while!!! No Haywoods used on this par 5 (Driver, layup, 55 yard shot that my 10-year-old puts 10 from the hole and he drained the putt for birdie!

Hole 7 - Still raining. No Haywood used (85.7 in used 57 that I hit 74 yards). GIR

Hole 8 - It's pouring and there are no trees or shelter or anything on this hole. It's literally "Hurry up and hit so we can try to get to the clubhouse or the potty butka. I don't know the distance but I thought 7I would work. I hit it great 149 yards and the pin must have been 160. It wound up on the front of the green in a giant puddle. I had to use my 50" L.A.B putter to get the ball out of the water. GIR (I guess - we played it from about 4 yards right of where it actually landed.

Hole 9 - The potty butka was already filled by the group ahead of us, so we decided the hackberry trees were as dry as we could get. It was pouring. I mean silver dollar size raindrops by the thousands. The hail core missed us by a couple of miles south but it poured for 45 minutes. We listened to Hank Williams Jr. and Marty Robbins and drank all the Lone Star beers we had. The rain never stopped, but it did let up enough for us to drive back to the clubhouse eventually. The course was unplayable and we never played 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14. 

Memories were certainly made though!!! And had I been playing at a famous course, I would have kept playing!

But yeah, I can't fault the clubs for anything today and honestly, they did well considering. I will say that the grips being soaked (not wet, soaked) made every shot harder. My cord grips on the driver, 3 wood, 53 and 57 were a little better than the standard Haywood ones, but no grips would have been perfect today. 

736006503.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2549.jpeg

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

Hey guys, not super long but a fun story about using my Haywoods during this week's VCT tourney round! 

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

On 4/23/2024 at 7:46 PM, Lefty11 said:

Testers, I truly appreciate all your hard work! I'm particularly fond of clubs with finishes like gun metal and copper etc.  Could you please provide an update on how the finish on the Haywood's clubs is holding up?

@Lefty11 - I wanted to answer this question with some pictures. There is starting to be a little bit of a shine on the back of the milling on the MBs and CBs from bag chatter. Nothing major, but it’s shiny when the light hits it. My 4 and 5 iron have little shine marks on the faces too.

That said, no chinks in the soles or nicks or anything like that to speak of. 

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg.08bb574587068abc779a8d0bb42d5189.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

IMG_5155.jpeg

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

1 minute ago, frazzman80 said:

I wanted to answer this question with some pictures. There is starting to be a little bit of a shine on the back of the milling on the MBs and CBs from bag chatter. Nothing major, but it’s shiny when the light hits it. My 4 and 5 iron have little shine marks on the faces too.

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

IMG_5155.jpeg

I'm going to play this afternoon and then I will clean my weapons and post some pictures as well. I am seeing similar things on the face's.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

4 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

@Lefty11 - I wanted to answer this question with some pictures. There is starting to be a little bit of a shine on the back of the milling on the MBs and CBs from bag chatter. Nothing major, but it’s shiny when the light hits it. My 4 and 5 iron have little shine marks on the faces too.

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg.08bb574587068abc779a8d0bb42d5189.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

IMG_5155.jpeg

They are holding up quite nicely…..btw I call those battle wounds! 😂  Thanks for the update.  

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

Round 9 in the books with the Haywoods. Since I was rained out at the tournament yesterday, I figured I'd play after work today (it's the only day this week I'll be able to do so with baseball to coach and children's soccer to attend). I was back at Max Starcke Park GC in Seguin, TX. It was well over 90 degrees when I teed off, but that didn't last as on hole 4 the Texas "sea breeze" came in off the Gulf of Mexico today and while it cooled off a good 5-8 degrees, the wind went from still to very gusty.

The Haywoods were impressive again today. My short game failed me badly on 2 holes...and had I just putted a bit better I would have had a shot at something special. I played from the tips today to give me a variety of irons in. 

Hole 1 - 118.6 in after a bomb of a drive. Took PW and had to move it just a bit right to left around a pecan tree and pured it, but overdrew it slightly. 117 yards total 26' left. GIR 1.

Hole 2 - 141.2 with a slight 5 MPH breeze off the right. Very much overcooked draw off a pured 8I and I pulled it long left. NO GIR...and I 2 chipped in the thick bermuda rough, but I almost made the 2nd chip for par (it just missed low and stopped 6" from the cup)

Hole 3 - Hardest hole on the course. 462 on the scorecard uphill par 4. Crushed driver 288 leaving 161.2 uphill 5-10 MPH downwind. I hit 6I. I struck it just slightly thin, but slightly thin is good with the Haywoods. It was on a PERFECT line, landed on the front fringe and rolled straight at the hole. I started with the "Go in...GO IN...GOOOOO IIIIIIINNNNN!" Pic below of where it stopped. GIR 2 and ALMOST a hole out.

IMG_5156.jpeg.97c628de5de959d3a5c9704ab9634dfd.jpeg   IMG_5157.jpeg.a0059b12e57f1927353bf869c29472c7.jpeg

Side view and view from behind the hole.

Hole 4 - Suddenly the wind just blasted out of the Southeast and it blew 15+ with 25 MPH gusts the rest of the round. So this par 5 was no into a gusty wind into and off the left. I pulled driver left thinking it would fade on the wind and it didn't. It was sitting down in some nasty rough, so I pulled 4I to layup. Struck it great and it went 170 total into the right side of the fairway leaving me 113.7 into the wind. Pulled PW. PURED it. This green has a plateau in the front and another in the back with a big low swale in the middle. It got 3/4 of the way up the swale (almost to the top plateau) and ripped back about 2-3 yards and down into the swale. 107 yards total and GIR 3, but had it carried 2 yards more it would have been really close. 

Hole 5 - Wind blowing hard 15+ gusting helping off the right. Had 125.9 in from the fairway and took 9I. I pured it but again, overdrew it and the wind just carried it deep into the green 140 yards total. The pin was middle right and the ball wound up very back left. GIR 4, but not close to the pin.

Hole 6 - Wind blowing hard 15+ gusting 25 off the right on this 156.2 playing uphill at 161.1 par 3. Hit 6I and started it at the flag and the wind just ripped it left of the green, hitting a downslope and kicking further left 164 yards total. I tried to hit a 57 from some nasty deep burmuda and I swung under the ball and it went like 4 feet. The next chip wasn't great, but at least I was putting. I made 5. No GIR

Hole 7 - Wind 15 with 25 gusts directly into my face. 159.2 to the front pin from the right rough. I hit 6I and heeled it. It went 147 yards and finished short right but not in the guarding greenside bunker. No GIR.

Hole 8 - Wind still blowing the same, but off the left this time. I had 139.8 and took 8I. I hit it just a bit fat, taking a giant dollar bill sized divot.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've done this now, so it's officially a thing with these Haywoods. If I miss it just a bit fat, I take these huge divots as the soles just cut through the turf like it's soft butter. When this happens, the shots are so true on their line, and maybe lose just a little distance. This shot with my Callaways was disaster. They couldn't get through the turf and often came to an abrupt stop, sending the ball all over the place (mostly bad left or way right or they would skip into the ball and send it way long). Fat was death with the Callaways, but not at all with the Haywoods.

Well, this slightly fat 8I went 133 total, straight at the flag landing just on the front of the green. GIR 5

Hole 9 - No Haywood used on this 340 yard par 4 into the wind. I hit 57 from 71 yards and made birdie! GIR 6

Hole 10 - 127.2 into the elevated green with a gusty slightly helping wind off the right. PURED 9I and thought I was going to jar it. The pitch mark was 4' right behind the flag and I made birdie on the 9' putt. 130 total. GIR 7 and back-to-back birdies!

Hole 11 - Very downwind uphill par 5. I tried to kill driver and failed, hitting a weak slice out right behind a tree. Used my 4-hybrid to belt a low runner under the tree leaving me 88.6 into the green. Hit 57 to 7'. Missed the putt. GIR 8 (but no turkey).

Hole 12 - Short par 4 that was brutal into the gusty 25 MPH wind. had 156.3 into the swirling wind that was sometimes dead into and sometimes into off the right. I took 6I, hit it just a bit on the toe and the wind ate it. It went 141 yards to the front right of the green with the pin way back center. GIR 9, but I 3-putted from 47'.

Hole 13 - If you recall from my previous round here. This is the evil, devil-designed par 3. It looks pretty right? The pic doesn't showcase the horrors!

IMG_5158.jpeg.c81d60f75ece9f10998a12402cb803f2.jpeg

173.6 with a 20-25 MPH wind off the left (the flagstick was bending) so I pulled 5I and PURED it and OMG it flew over the tree, drew enough to stay straight and I ACTUALLY HIT THE GREEN! I bet in my life I've hit this green 10% of the time (and that might be generous). 178 yards total. GIR 10 and I made par!!!

Hole 14 - 550 yard par 5 playing well over 600 into the wind. After smashing my drive 238. Then smashing a 2 hybrid 207. I had 98.2 left to the elevated green into a wind that almost blew off my hat. I pulled PW. PURED it and watched it draw toward the flag and at the last seconds the wind pulled it just left of the flag. 98 yards total just 14' left. GIR 11 (no birdie).

Hole 15 - No Haywood used as I went 3 wood/53 on this short par 4. Missed the green just short and made 5.

Hole 16 - I don't want to type about this hole. But I guess I have to. 190.1 with the wind hard off the right. I pulled 4 iron, swung and shanked it. Total shank...it hit the cartpath of hole 15 and bounded into burmuda rough that was taller than my shoes. 175 yards total, but the cart path gave me 20 more. Oh, and this is the side of the green protected by huge pecans. I found the ball, decided a hack out 7-iron was the best way to get it under the trees but also up the giant slope of the green. I left it about 7 yards short. So I played a bump and run with the PW and got it to 8 feet and made the best bogey of the day. NO GIR.

Hole 17 - Downwind bigtime, I tried to get all 392 yards on the drive and pushed it right and it wound up enough behind a tree that I had to play a fully open faced PW 113.6 from some thick bermuda. I hit it high toe and it cleared the tree but drew hard left, going 113 yards exactly, but 49' from the far-right pin. GIR 12 (and another flipping 3 putt).

Hole 18 - 430+ yards into the 20+ MPH wind. Hit a great drive that got a bad bounce, hit the cart path and dissapeared into the water hazard (that thanks to the drought was dry). But this was the worst lie imaginable. 166.8 into the wind with about a 45 degree sidehill lie (ball below my feet) AND I had to go under several pecan trees (max apex of 15-18' or tree ball). I pulled 4I trying to hit a punch/slice that if perfectly pulled off would land short of the green and run up and on. I struck it well, but the hosel kind of dug into the hill and while the apex and distance were both good, it went left, across the fairway and into the rough 152 yards total. No GIR, but I did get up and down for par sinking a 10 footer. 

12 of 18 GIRs on a very windy day, a 6-iron that finished 3" from the hole on 3 and I HIT THE GREEN on 13!!! This marks the 8th round now with Arccos showing a POSITIVE strokes gained approach (I'm saying 8 in a row and I'm not counting the rain out round).

Fellow spies...it's going to be hard for me to consider playing the Callaways again...

IMG_5159.png  IMG_5160.png  IMG_5161.png

IMG_5162.png  IMG_5163.png  IMG_5164.png

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

14 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

Round 9 in the books with the Haywoods. Since I was rained out at the tournament yesterday, I figured I'd play after work today (it's the only day this week I'll be able to do so with baseball to coach and children's soccer to attend). I was back at Max Starcke Park GC in Seguin, TX. It was well over 90 degrees when I teed off, but that didn't last as on hole 4 the Texas "sea breeze" came in off the Gulf of Mexico today and while it cooled off a good 5-8 degrees, the wind went from still to very gusty.

The Haywoods were impressive again today. My short game failed me badly on 2 holes...and had I just putted a bit better I would have had a shot at something special. I played from the tips today to give me a variety of irons in. 

Hole 1 - 118.6 in after a bomb of a drive. Took PW and had to move it just a bit right to left around a pecan tree and pured it, but overdrew it slightly. 117 yards total 26' left. GIR 1.

Hole 2 - 141.2 with a slight 5 MPH breeze off the right. Very much overcooked draw off a pured 8I and I pulled it long left. NO GIR...and I 2 chipped in the thick bermuda rough, but I almost made the 2nd chip for par (it just missed low and stopped 6" from the cup)

Hole 3 - Hardest hole on the course. 462 on the scorecard uphill par 4. Crushed driver 288 leaving 161.2 uphill 5-10 MPH downwind. I hit 6I. I struck it just slightly thin, but slightly thin is good with the Haywoods. It was on a PERFECT line, landed on the front fringe and rolled straight at the hole. I started with the "Go in...GO IN...GOOOOO IIIIIIINNNNN!" Pic below of where it stopped. GIR 2 and ALMOST a hole out.

IMG_5156.jpeg.97c628de5de959d3a5c9704ab9634dfd.jpeg   IMG_5157.jpeg.a0059b12e57f1927353bf869c29472c7.jpeg

Side view and view from behind the hole.

Hole 4 - Suddenly the wind just blasted out of the Southeast and it blew 15+ with 25 MPH gusts the rest of the round. So this par 5 was no into a gusty wind into and off the left. I pulled driver left thinking it would fade on the wind and it didn't. It was sitting down in some nasty rough, so I pulled 4I to layup. Struck it great and it went 170 total into the right side of the fairway leaving me 113.7 into the wind. Pulled PW. PURED it. This green has a plateau in the front and another in the back with a big low swale in the middle. It got 3/4 of the way up the swale (almost to the top plateau) and ripped back about 2-3 yards and down into the swale. 107 yards total and GIR 3, but had it carried 2 yards more it would have been really close. 

Hole 5 - Wind blowing hard 15+ gusting helping off the right. Had 125.9 in from the fairway and took 9I. I pured it but again, overdrew it and the wind just carried it deep into the green 140 yards total. The pin was middle right and the ball wound up very back left. GIR 4, but not close to the pin.

Hole 6 - Wind blowing hard 15+ gusting 25 off the right on this 156.2 playing uphill at 161.1 par 3. Hit 6I and started it at the flag and the wind just ripped it left of the green, hitting a downslope and kicking further left 164 yards total. I tried to hit a 57 from some nasty deep burmuda and I swung under the ball and it went like 4 feet. The next chip wasn't great, but at least I was putting. I made 5. No GIR

Hole 7 - Wind 15 with 25 gusts directly into my face. 159.2 to the front pin from the right rough. I hit 6I and heeled it. It went 147 yards and finished short right but not in the guarding greenside bunker. No GIR.

Hole 8 - Wind still blowing the same, but off the left this time. I had 139.8 and took 8I. I hit it just a bit fat, taking a giant dollar bill sized divot.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've done this now, so it's officially a thing with these Haywoods. If I miss it just a bit fat, I take these huge divots as the soles just cut through the turf like it's soft butter. When this happens, the shots are so true on their line, and maybe lose just a little distance. This shot with my Callaways was disaster. They couldn't get through the turf and often came to an abrupt stop, sending the ball all over the place (mostly bad left or way right or they would skip into the ball and send it way long). Fat was death with the Callaways, but not at all with the Haywoods.

Well, this slightly fat 8I went 133 total, straight at the flag landing just on the front of the green. GIR 5

Hole 9 - No Haywood used on this 340 yard par 4 into the wind. I hit 57 from 71 yards and made birdie! GIR 6

Hole 10 - 127.2 into the elevated green with a gusty slightly helping wind off the right. PURED 9I and thought I was going to jar it. The pitch mark was 4' right behind the flag and I made birdie on the 9' putt. 130 total. GIR 7 and back-to-back birdies!

Hole 11 - Very downwind uphill par 5. I tried to kill driver and failed, hitting a weak slice out right behind a tree. Used my 4-hybrid to belt a low runner under the tree leaving me 88.6 into the green. Hit 57 to 7'. Missed the putt. GIR 8 (but no turkey).

Hole 12 - Short par 4 that was brutal into the gusty 25 MPH wind. had 156.3 into the swirling wind that was sometimes dead into and sometimes into off the right. I took 6I, hit it just a bit on the toe and the wind ate it. It went 141 yards to the front right of the green with the pin way back center. GIR 9, but I 3-putted from 47'.

Hole 13 - If you recall from my previous round here. This is the evil, devil-designed par 3. It looks pretty right? The pic doesn't showcase the horrors!

IMG_5158.jpeg.c81d60f75ece9f10998a12402cb803f2.jpeg

173.6 with a 20-25 MPH wind off the left (the flagstick was bending) so I pulled 5I and PURED it and OMG it flew over the tree, drew enough to stay straight and I ACTUALLY HIT THE GREEN! I bet in my life I've hit this green 10% of the time (and that might be generous). 178 yards total. GIR 10 and I made par!!!

Hole 14 - 550 yard par 5 playing well over 600 into the wind. After smashing my drive 238. Then smashing a 2 hybrid 207. I had 98.2 left to the elevated green into a wind that almost blew off my hat. I pulled PW. PURED it and watched it draw toward the flag and at the last seconds the wind pulled it just left of the flag. 98 yards total just 14' left. GIR 11 (no birdie).

Hole 15 - No Haywood used as I went 3 wood/53 on this short par 4. Missed the green just short and made 5.

Hole 16 - I don't want to type about this hole. But I guess I have to. 190.1 with the wind hard off the right. I pulled 4 iron, swung and shanked it. Total shank...it hit the cartpath of hole 15 and bounded into burmuda rough that was taller than my shoes. 175 yards total, but the cart path gave me 20 more. Oh, and this is the side of the green protected by huge pecans. I found the ball, decided a hack out 7-iron was the best way to get it under the trees but also up the giant slope of the green. I left it about 7 yards short. So I played a bump and run with the PW and got it to 8 feet and made the best bogey of the day. NO GIR.

Hole 17 - Downwind bigtime, I tried to get all 392 yards on the drive and pushed it right and it wound up enough behind a tree that I had to play a fully open faced PW 113.6 from some thick bermuda. I hit it high toe and it cleared the tree but drew hard left, going 113 yards exactly, but 49' from the far-right pin. GIR 12 (and another flipping 3 putt).

Hole 18 - 430+ yards into the 20+ MPH wind. Hit a great drive that got a bad bounce, hit the cart path and dissapeared into the water hazard (that thanks to the drought was dry). But this was the worst lie imaginable. 166.8 into the wind with about a 45 degree sidehill lie (ball below my feet) AND I had to go under several pecan trees (max apex of 15-18' or tree ball). I pulled 4I trying to hit a punch/slice that if perfectly pulled off would land short of the green and run up and on. I struck it well, but the hosel kind of dug into the hill and while the apex and distance were both good, it went left, across the fairway and into the rough 152 yards total. No GIR, but I did get up and down for par sinking a 10 footer. 

12 of 18 GIRs on a very windy day, a 6-iron that finished 3" from the hole on 3 and I HIT THE GREEN on 13!!! This marks the 8th round now with Arccos showing a POSITIVE strokes gained approach (I'm saying 8 in a row and I'm not counting the rain out round).

Fellow spies...it's going to be hard for me to consider playing the Callaways again...

IMG_5159.png  IMG_5160.png  IMG_5161.png

IMG_5162.png  IMG_5163.png  IMG_5164.png

This is awesome to see and glad to hear that the callaways are unlikely to go back in your bag! 

We are excited for you that your game has improved using our clubs and that the set built fits your game well! 

Edited by haywoodgolf
spelling error

Official account of Haywood Golf

For the testers, so far, is there anything about the clubs you would change or wish was different?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

For the testers, so far, is there anything about the clubs you would change or wish was different?

I'm not 100% sold on the grips honestly. I've always played corded grips and these are definitely different. As I said in the downpour the other day, there wasn't a grip in the world that would have worked effectively in that weather, but the hot humid Texas summer is coming and sweat concerns me with the current grips honestly. 

The only other thing as of now (and my data isn't 100% yet) is possible gapping between the 7I CB (it's been around 150 yards) and the 8I MB (it's been around 135). I've got 10 yards between every club in the CBs (starting at 150 and going up) and 10 yards between every club in the MBs (starting at 115 and going up), but that 15 yard gap exists. Would it make sense to tweak lofts to make the MBs slightly stronger to go 140/130/120 instead of 135/125/115? That's a question I can't answer and I'm not sure bending the lofts 1-2 degrees stronger makes sense or not. 

I'm still also on the fence between Haywood PW and Edison 2.0 49*. The both go about the same distance but I'm not sure which one will be in the bag and which will be in the closet. The Edison is more forgiving on mishits, but the Haywood has been very consistent distance wise and I've been able to offset the gap between it (115 yards) and my Edison 53* (95 yards) with some great 3/4 swings.

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Posted (edited)

I have a couple of wee updates so I will keep them separate.

First off, here is the data from my latest range session. After taking the range balls into account, I am happy with the gapping and distances.

Screenshot_2024-05-01-19-18-57-99_29429ed5c14d1055f5b106051d2bd280.jpg.1f943d2760b6260e8780f53a655c3db9.jpg

Yes, I hit more shots than this, but I took out any anomalies caused by the Garmin and my swing!!

Edited by Nunfa0

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Posted (edited)

I had promised some photos to show and bag marks, so here they are...

image.png.bf7f0dad03e4e4c006550f1bcd313eee.png

image.png.e56e8ad0d79d2f5bfadb936a4e4fa547.png

image.png.0dfbc1cec65467f60fe55dbbfad30b0a.png

image.png.af482c8a15209bcf6e358a38e3d8cd2a.png

image.png.d22a0f7b98b42592cfe943af625ee3b2.png

image.png.df7578c624ecf3283f5f2cb065b5abae.png

image.png.f9da8167bc9d3cf7b69e3a04b26dc9fb.png

image.png.307a073fe32a2df8f1966490f1b41d02.png

But how good do they look in the bag!!

Edited by Nunfa0

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Rob Person said:

For me it's maybe just the top line. 

Speaking of that, turns out my "spare" set of Cobra forged Tec irons have the same top line....

image.png.9c797d6b4638653f0f26c0cc2a40a4cb.png

image.png.945d3ee870f10525e4c83a0c9576782f.png

image.png.636db5f8a9e8e21efbb9cdd86c300127.png

Edited by Nunfa0

2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

They do look damn good!

Ping 425 

18* hybrid

22* hybrid

irons - Callaway rogue

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

They look so good sitting in the bag!  Best of all, they’re facing the correct way!

Edited by TJ Hall

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Testers: I've seen some topline comparisons, but I'm hoping to see more and get your opinion further.

I'm strongly considering upgrading to these from my current Callaway Apex Pro 16s, but my main concern is if it turns out to be a chunkier top line. I'm pretty sensitive to that.

Also, how do you all feel on the combo set by now? Are you glad the long irons are CBs, or do you feel that the MBs are actually just forgiving enough to warrant possibly doing a full MB bag?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, mrcyc8 said:

Testers: I've seen some topline comparisons, but I'm hoping to see more and get your opinion further.

I'm strongly considering upgrading to these from my current Callaway Apex Pro 16s, but my main concern is if it turns out to be a chunkier top line. I'm pretty sensitive to that.

Also, how do you all feel on the combo set by now? Are you glad the long irons are CBs, or do you feel that the MBs are actually just forgiving enough to warrant possibly doing a full MB bag?

Thanks!

It's not that the clubs are chunky, the Topline is just a bit too square for my eye. When you compare closely the actual thickness between the Haywoods and my T100S irons is very close.

The combo set is great but I would like to try the 7 iron in MB. The 8, 9 and PW are so easy to hit that I forget that they are blades.

I think these clubs would be a great set for someone who wants to try MBs. They just have that bigger face for a little more forgiveness and they don't have the intimidating butter knife look of some blades.

4 minutes ago, Nunfa0 said:

It's not that the clubs are chunky, the Topline is just a bit too square for my eye. When you compare closely the actual thickness between the Haywoods and my T100S irons is very close.

The combo set is great but I would like to try the 7 iron in MB. The 8, 9 and PW are so easy to hit that I forget that they are blades.

I think these clubs would be a great set for someone who wants to try MBs. They just have that bigger face for a little more forgiveness and they don't have the intimidating butter knife look of some blades.

Thanks for the insight! So for someone that wants butter knives in at least the short irons these might not be the best choice. My 2016 Apex Pros have the slimmest profile Callaway put on any of their Apex Pro clubs (both thin top line and somewhat smaller face) and I want my next clubs to be at least that slim if not slimmer.

This seems to be a trend in these DTC brand musclebacks. Sounds like they all play great, but are overall chunkier than the name brands that we'd all rather not shell out the money for.

2 hours ago, mrcyc8 said:

Thanks for the insight! So for someone that wants butter knives in at least the short irons these might not be the best choice. My 2016 Apex Pros have the slimmest profile Callaway put on any of their Apex Pro clubs (both thin top line and somewhat smaller face) and I want my next clubs to be at least that slim if not slimmer.

This seems to be a trend in these DTC brand musclebacks. Sounds like they all play great, but are overall chunkier than the name brands that we'd all rather not shell out the money for.

Can share some insight for you on this topic.

Our CB topline will be fairly similar to the 2016 Apex Pros, the difference is our CB topline is not as rounded, so compared to some clubs, it can appear a touch 'thicker' though its not actually at all. Our MB irons definitely look and actually are thinner than the 2016 Pros 🙂

19 minutes ago, haywoodgolf said:

Can share some insight for you on this topic.

Our CB topline will be fairly similar to the 2016 Apex Pros, the difference is our CB topline is not as rounded, so compared to some clubs, it can appear a touch 'thicker' though its not actually at all. Our MB irons definitely look and actually are thinner than the 2016 Pros 🙂

That's nice to hear! Do you happen to have clubhead measurements I could use to compare to mine just so I can picture the size differences? Like head length, head depth, top line width?

Just now, mrcyc8 said:

That's nice to hear! Do you happen to have clubhead measurements I could use to compare to mine just so I can picture the size differences? Like head length, head depth, top line width?

If you visit our website, go to the product page you want to review and click the view specs button, almost all specs for the club are listed 🙂

1 minute ago, haywoodgolf said:

If you visit our website, go to the product page you want to review and click the view specs button, almost all specs for the club are listed 🙂

Ah I see them, that helps. Any chance of getting a top line width? I see sole width, blade length, and club height.

6 hours ago, mrcyc8 said:

Thanks!

@mrcyc8 - I’ve got you on this one. My existing set is Callaway Apex ‘19s, so here are direct photos of 4I, 6I in CB and 8I and PW in MB side by side with the Callaway Apwx ‘19s. 

Callaway in front/on the left and Haywood in back/on the right.

IMG_5166.jpeg

IMG_5167.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

Currently in the bag:

One thing I forgot to say when I posted the bag mark post was, I don't see these as detrimental. They are like badges of honour and, considering the fact that they are in a bag on a push cart at the course and in the trunk of my car the rest of the time, they are holding up well.

5 hours ago, haywoodgolf said:

CB = 0.27"

MB = 0.20"

Awesome thank you! It seems you were pretty spot on based on what I measured with my calipers here at home. The top CBs will be a bit chunkier on the top line than the Apex Pro 16s, but the MBs will be very slightly thinner. I'm guessing the square cut and satin finish make them appear a bit thicker than they actually are.

For those that read through all of my posts above and are dying for closure, here are the Apex Pro 16 measurements off my 7i for comparison and a screenshot of the Haywood MB specs is attached.

Club Height: 2.25"

Blade Length: 2.85"

Sole Width: 0.75"

Top Line Width: 0.21-0.22"

So they will be a bit longer of a head than what I play currently, but everything else slightly smaller. I think I can live with all of that especially considering I think these are gorgeous and the testers seem to have very positive thoughts on how they play. Now just to decide if I want the combo or all MBs 😀

Haywood MB Specs.png

4 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

@mrcyc8 - I’ve got you on this one. My existing set is Callaway Apex ‘19s, so here are direct photos of 4I, 6I in CB and 8I and PW in MB side by side with the Callaway Apwx ‘19s. 

Thanks, I actually saw these pics on one of your previous posts and it's what made me ask! I distinctly remember going and checking out the Apex 19s and 19 Pros in a store a few years ago and being turned off of them because both models were quite a bit chunkier at address than my 16 pros. So I am very glad to see that the MB at least looks a bit slimmer than your Apex 19s!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

One thing I forgot to say when I posted the bag mark post was, I don't see these as detrimental. They are like badges of honour and, considering the fact that they are in a bag on a push cart at the course and in the trunk of my car the rest of the time, they are holding up well.

Agreed! Clubs are tools that are meant to get used which will subsequently mark up.

By nature of the different materials, any forged club (softer carbon) will have more dents and nicks than the harder cast products in the market.

(with all that said, we have had a couple customers purchase our custom 100's and put them on the wall as an art piece in their office so those won't be seeing nicks and dings anytime soon 🤣)

Edited by haywoodgolf