Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How to: prevent rust

Hi! I bought a new set of irons recently. A set of Maltby TS4 irons, 4-GW. The GolfWorks website says they are forged from “1025C carbon steel”. I have no idea what that means beyond that it is the most common steel used for forged golf clubs, and that it is untreated. Which means that it is susceptible to rust. 

This is my first set of brand new irons, and I want to protect my investment. Both the aesthetics and performance. I use a wire brush and towel after each shot. After each round I use a small spray bottle and spritz water onto the clubs and use a wire brush to clean them and I dry them thoroughly. 
Is this everything there is to do to maintain these clubs for a long time? Is there anything else I should be doing?

My father had the idea of after drying the clubs putting just a little bit of WD-40 on the clubs to help prevent rust. 
A quick google search about how effective WD-40 is at preventing rust will offer mixed results.
Quora says “Water Displacement formula 40 (WD-40) is not a rust inhibitor”.

The Garage Journal says “WD-40 only lasts about 3 to 4 months as a rust preventative. Just plain old oil works better than that. Other products work better.”

Finally, the WD-40 website itself says “a thin layer of WD-40 Multi-Use Product to act as a barrier between the metal and the moisture in the air, preventing rust from forming.”

Any experience or advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you for your time!

IMG_5906.jpeg

IMG_5859.jpeg

IMG_5861.jpeg

IMG_5860.jpeg

IMG_5862.jpeg

IMG_5863.jpeg

Just glad to be here!

"Durable Pearl Nickel Chrome anti-glare finish protects the club head and enhances feel"

From the specs the above is listed. 

Clean them and wipe them down and you should be good to go, no special treatment needed.  Typically only raw irons or wedges will rust.  A chrome finish shouldn't.

I also wouldn't be hugely concerned with protecting your investment.  Yes, take care of your clubs.  You want them to last for the length that you choose to use them.  However don't look at them as a financial investment.  They aren't worth much used no matter how well you take care of them.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'd avoid using a wire brush on them because of excess wear. A standard nylon bristle brush should be sufficient to clean them.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

On 3/20/2024 at 12:28 PM, CMRich1998 said:

Hi! I bought a new set of irons recently. A set of Maltby TS4 irons, 4-GW. The GolfWorks website says they are forged from “1025C carbon steel”. I have no idea what that means beyond that it is the most common steel used for forged golf clubs, and that it is untreated. Which means that it is susceptible to rust. 

This is my first set of brand new irons, and I want to protect my investment. Both the aesthetics and performance. I use a wire brush and towel after each shot. After each round I use a small spray bottle and spritz water onto the clubs and use a wire brush to clean them and I dry them thoroughly. 
Is this everything there is to do to maintain these clubs for a long time? Is there anything else I should be doing?

My father had the idea of after drying the clubs putting just a little bit of WD-40 on the clubs to help prevent rust. 
A quick google search about how effective WD-40 is at preventing rust will offer mixed results.
Quora says “Water Displacement formula 40 (WD-40) is not a rust inhibitor”.

The Garage Journal says “WD-40 only lasts about 3 to 4 months as a rust preventative. Just plain old oil works better than that. Other products work better.”

Finally, the WD-40 website itself says “a thin layer of WD-40 Multi-Use Product to act as a barrier between the metal and the moisture in the air, preventing rust from forming.”

Any experience or advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you for your time!

IMG_5906.jpeg

IMG_5859.jpeg

IMG_5861.jpeg

IMG_5860.jpeg

IMG_5862.jpeg

IMG_5863.jpeg

Have had mine for close to a year. Not so much as a speckle of rust. I clean them regularly with a wet towel between shots and have never used any additional protective chemicals. WD40 can only help though and isn't a bad idea from time to time. 

Any carbon steel, unless specified as "raw" will have some form of chrome or protective metallic coating that's extremely durable and designed to last for years. In this case, as @hckymeyerstated, it's a pearl satin coating. 

You're good man! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Just an FYI on preventing rust on raw irons ever or on your steel shafts over the winter....Fluid Film is the bees knees. 

I used raw wedges up until very recently and after cleaning them would spritz on some FF and wipe them down maybe once a month.  I never had a rust issue.  I use FF on anything I want to protect from rust or corrosion.  Unlike WD, it is non toxic which is a good thing since my dog loves the sheep lanolin smell and tends to lick at the stuff I put it on if I don't stop her.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.