Draw or Fade?

Ok, let’s see if we can settle this debate.

Which shot is best in golf? Draw or fade?

Which one do you play? Why do you play it? Pros and cons to either?

I personally have played a draw for the last 10 years, but have switched to a fade this year. 

Draw:

• Pros - more roll/distance, cuts through air better, lower ball flight
  • Cons - sometimes too much roll, not enough carry, over draws at times

Fade:

• Pros - much more control, less roll/more carry, more predictable 
  • Cons - tougher to play in wind, not much roll out - shorter distance

Let’s hear what you all think!

Blake

Stealth 2 driver, Sim Max 2 3W, Nike VRPro 5W, Stealth irons, Cleveland ZipCore wedges, and Odyssey White Ice 330 putter. TP5x

I think you should swing your swing, not try to manufacture a curve and whatever happens, happens.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I "fixed" my slice two years ago.  I ended up with the lefts with everything less lofted than an 8i, and could still slice if I was trying to not hook. 

A two-way miss is golf hell, and I broke out Hogan's "5 Lessons" which should be named "Hogan Tells You How To Not Hook" and am back to a fade with an occasional slice, but no big left miss off the tee.  

For ME, a fade is better.  Much better.  

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

Neither one is better or worse than the other.   

for me driver is primarily a fade and irons have a bit of draw.   I play it becuase that is the ball flight that comes from my stock shot.  I don’t try to curve the ball in different directions because going back to the first sentence there is no advantage to either.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I like to work the ball both ways. That said my stock shot is a draw, but I feel like I have more fun when I'm creative and challenge myself with different shapes and trajectories. When I'm practicing after a standard warmup I try to move the ball as much as possible both ways, then dial it back to find a comfortable flight.

There are many advantages of being comfortable working the ball both ways. Certain holes favor one shape over the other, for example. Also, a fade isn't always bad in the wind. A fade spins more and flies higher, the wind will actually reduce spin when it's at your back. When downwind, a properly struck fade will soar. Conversely, hitting a low spin draw into the wind will also maximize distance.

I'm a big fan of visualizing my chosen shot shape as part of my pre-shot routine. When I execute the shape and trajectory, it's a great feeling and it makes golf a little bit more fun.

Sent from my Pixel Fold using Tapatalk

:mizuno-small: ST-X 230 Driver, 9.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR, 7-X (currently testing and reviewing Graphics Design Tour AD IZ 7-X)

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour Fairway, 15°, Accra FX 2.0 370 M4

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB, 3-4 Iron, Graphic Design Tour AD-95, X-Flex

:mizuno-small: MP-20, MMC, 5 Iron-PW, Nippon Modus 2.0 Tour 120, S-Flex

:mizuno-small: T-24, 50°, 55°, 60° Wedges, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

:mizuno-small: M.Craft II

:titleist-small: Pro V1

:Arccos: 

I’d love to be able to work the ball draw or fade on command. But I decided that I feel much more comfortable with hitting fades. They just fit my eye better and feels. I do however carry a 3 wood which is the only club I like to draw these days. 
I can’t remember the last time I hit a draw with my driver on purpose..

Driver: Mizuno Stz

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW

Wedges: Vokeys

Putter: Phantom 5.5

Ball: ProV 

Nearly everyone has a bias to one or the other because of their swing and to be a broken record player, swing your swing. I've been fixing my slice with my driver for the past year and finally started to hit draws with the driver at times, but in reality I just want it to be predictable and that's the most important thing. 

Full bag to come

On 4/21/2024 at 6:10 AM, Chubbs1991 said:

I’d love to be able to work the ball draw or fade on command. But I decided that I feel much more comfortable with hitting fades. They just fit my eye better and feels. I do however carry a 3 wood which is the only club I like to draw these days. 
I can’t remember the last time I hit a draw with my driver on purpose..

The number of pros who work the ball both ways is around 5(not the number that can, but the number who do). No need to work the ball both ways

I almost always curve the ball to the left.  The only time I try to fade it is when that is the only possible shot because of a tree blocking my line to the green and going right of the tree isn't possible.  Having said that, not practicing that fade is a weakness of my game.  I rarely pull off the big fade without over cooking it.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

My ball does not draw, unless of course a draw puts me in a bad spot.  

That said, I can set up and hit a draw if I have to… just don’t know how much it will curve.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

When I'm swinging it good, I'm hitting a draw. On off days, it gets a bit wipey and fades.

Tempo on the course is a real bugger.

B

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

Overall, I can hit both and have switched back and forth on which one I use the most. I prefer a draw because its just more natural for me, and I can control how far it draws better than I can control how far it fades.

• Driver I draw, my driver miss is a push and its hard for me to keep a push fade in the fairway while a draw brings that push a little more back on track.
  • 3-wood & long irons (3/4/5) I switch depending on if I am shooting at a green or not. Hard for me to hold greens if I don't fade these. 
  • Short irons & wedges I draw. I have never been good at controlling my spin here which is why I don't fade them. When I try to spin a ball back it might stick, or it might spin back off the green. I would rather just hit my number with a draw and it doesn't move much after that unless its out of the thick stuff. Then I can easily plan for a little rollout.

Callaway Max LS - XS

Ping G430 3w

4-pw Mizuno JPX Tours 923

TM Wedges

Bett - SS9 Putter

I am proud to say that I am more than capable to hit both a draw and fade..................problem is that I never know when either one will show up..................🙄

Total Callaway bag - except putter

@Huse343 - Hit the one needed for the shot in front of you using the pros/cons you enumerated above...

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.