Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×

question for mini driver fans

when hitting off the deck with a mini driver, such as the tm brnr, how much harder are they to launch than a regular 3 wood?

lets say that given a 100mph quality strike, i launch my 3 wood to 100 ft in the air.  I would want the mini driver to launch at least to 60 ft in that circumstance. 

I am going to try to hit one soon at a store with a simulator but i’m curious about how they’ve been launching on the course for people who aren’t me.

or is it used mainly as an off the tee option? 

Thanks! 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

With as large as the newer models are it has gotten pretty difficult for me. I tend to be lower launch but I played the original one in 13.5 and could play it pretty easily. But it was 30'ish cc smaller than the current models. I wish they would go back to that size.. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I have a Taylormade titanium sim 2 (3 wood) at 13.5 degrees. I think it plays more like a 2 wood. I also have the 11.5 degree Taylormade Mini Brnr (1st edition). The 3 wood is def easier to hit off the turf. Off a tee the Brnr is a beast. I never miss fairways. I think the best option is to get the mini driver and then get a 4 wood. Get rid of the 3/5 woods.  

Taylormade Mini Brnr (11.5 degree) w/ Fujikura Motore F1 7x 

Taylormade Sim Titanium 3 wood (13.5 degree) w/ Fujikura Motore F1 7x

Taylormade Sim 3 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Ventus 7x

Titleist T-MB 6-4 irons w/ True Temper AMT white shafts

Titleist 716CB P-7 w/ True Temper S300 shafts

Titleist Vokey wedges - 60.4 / 56.10 / 52.8

Putter - Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #5 

24 minutes ago, JoeyBananas said:

I have a Taylormade titanium sim 2 (3 wood) at 13.5 degrees. I think it plays more like a 2 wood. I also have the 11.5 degree Taylormade Mini Brnr (1st edition). The 3 wood is def easier to hit off the turf. Off a tee the Brnr is a beast. I never miss fairways. I think the best option is to get the mini driver and then get a 4 wood. Get rid of the 3/5 woods.  

that’s definitely something i’m considering, except my 4 wood would be my hybrid, since I hit that really well. I’ve had such good success with ping i’d love for them to release a mini driver, but if they don’t, the brnr is as much as i’ve wanted a non ping wood in since the original callaway jailbreak. especially since my first hand me down driver had a bubble shaft.

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

3 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

With as large as the newer models are it has gotten pretty difficult for me. I tend to be lower launch but I played the original one in 13.5 and could play it pretty easily. But it was 30'ish cc smaller than the current models. I wish they would go back to that size.. 

agreed. i’m also considering the ping g430lst 3 wood for this reason. but with the price on that i’m weighing my options.

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

I find my mini driver easier to hit off the deck than the 3 wood I had, I have the BRNR 13.5 and it flies pretty easily. Right now my bag goes from Mini to 7 wood, sometimes I carry a 5 wood but not often

Seth

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X w/ Nemesys Shaft 55 

2 Wood: Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5

7 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond

Irons: Taylormade P7 UDI 2 Iron w/ KBS PGI 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-G w/ UST Dart V shafts 

Wedges: Taylormade Hi-toe 54 and 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback Long Design

Ball: Vice Pro/ TP5x Pix

I love the new TM Copper mini... We had a TM rep out here a few weeks ago and I got my hands on it and ended up purchasing some quick numbers from the Trackman on it if you are interested:

Ball Speed: 154.7

Launch: 9.3

Peak: 61.6

Carry: 241.6

Total: 268.3

Clubhead spd: 106.6

AoA: -1.2

This was an average of 10 off the tee and maybe 3-4 off the deck. I struggle SO BAD with woods. We had Ping, Callaway, and TM out to our club and I hit all the brands woods and hooked the hell out of all of them. I wanted something that was a little shorter (total yds) than my driver but more than my 3H and the Mini Driver was it. I cannot believe how easy I can launch it off the deck and I am stunned how I never hook it compared to how every 3W I have ever tried played... 

:ping-small: G430 LST - Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 XS

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Hybrid 3 & 5 - LA Golf A Series 105 XS

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 5i-AW - :Nippon: 1150 GH XS

:ping-small: - ChipR

:cobra-small: - Black SnakeBite 53 & 57

:scotty-small: - Super Select Golo 6.5

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

:Ogio:  

:Arccos:

On 5/5/2024 at 11:54 PM, ryan.mzzz said:

when hitting off the deck with a mini driver, such as the tm brnr, how much harder are they to launch than a regular 3 wood?

lets say that given a 100mph quality strike, i launch my 3 wood to 100 ft in the air.  I would want the mini driver to launch at least to 60 ft in that circumstance. 

I am going to try to hit one soon at a store with a simulator but i’m curious about how they’ve been launching on the course for people who aren’t me.

Thanks! 

My mini feels easier to hit off the deck than any other wood I own (3. 5, and 7). It doesn't go the highest but I don't want it to, I like I low piercing shot so that's what I have it configured for. 

Seth

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X w/ Nemesys Shaft 55 

2 Wood: Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5

7 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond

Irons: Taylormade P7 UDI 2 Iron w/ KBS PGI 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-G w/ UST Dart V shafts 

Wedges: Taylormade Hi-toe 54 and 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback Long Design

Ball: Vice Pro/ TP5x Pix

I don't think I'm even going to try.  I have a Callaway Rogue ST Max 5 wood and I can launch that thing in the air just fine.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: 
 default_cameron-small.gif.5602ddbf1b327f1a1ae042f1224b598e.gif Super Select Golo 6, 37" Matador large grip

2 hours ago, anotherburntsteak said:

I love the new TM Copper mini... We had a TM rep out here a few weeks ago and I got my hands on it and ended up purchasing some quick numbers from the Trackman on it if you are interested:

Ball Speed: 154.7

Launch: 9.3

Peak: 61.6

Carry: 241.6

Total: 268.3

Clubhead spd: 106.6

AoA: -1.2

This was an average of 10 off the tee and maybe 3-4 off the deck. I struggle SO BAD with woods. We had Ping, Callaway, and TM out to our club and I hit all the brands woods and hooked the hell out of all of them. I wanted something that was a little shorter (total yds) than my driver but more than my 3H and the Mini Driver was it. I cannot believe how easy I can launch it off the deck and I am stunned how I never hook it compared to how every 3W I have ever tried played... 

that’s awesome. you’re probably swinging 5mph faster that i’m comfortable with, but around 60 in the air is what i’m looking for. so, even though no two swings are the same that gives me hope that i’m on the right track. 

i’m super busy with moving right now but in a couple weeks…(although i’d love to have a ping to compare the tm to)

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

On 5/6/2024 at 12:54 AM, ryan.mzzz said:

Thanks! 

I play a new 13.5º BRNR which really isn't all than "mini" at about 300cc.
I don't even attempt to hit it off the deck.

It pairs with my driving iron;  they're both strictly off the tee clubs with me.
I have matching 18, 21, and 24° fwy wds to hit off the deck.

in flux