Iron loft adjustment / bounce question

I am about to order a set of irons with lie adjustments. I really like the P790 TaylorMade irons but I like the lofts of the P770 models better , how much will ordering the P790 irons 2 degrees weak affect the bounce?

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Weakening lofts, adds bounce.
Strengthening lofts, removes bounce.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

21 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Weakening lofts, adds bounce.
Strengthening lofts, removes bounce.

Thanks for answer but I guess what Im asking is how badly is bounce affcted?/

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Just now, Fred Mitchell said:

Thanks for answer but I guess what Im asking is how badly is bounce affcted?/

Unless someone knows something different, it's a 1-to-1 relationship.

1* weaker loft is 1* more bounce, for example.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

Yes - since the head of a golf club is one solid piece of metal, whatever you do to one part of it, everything goes in the same direction. If you are reducing loft by 1 degree, you reduce bounce by 1 degree. Simarly, if you increase loft by 1 degree, you increase bounce by 1 degree.

Does that affect the bounce in terms of playability? That's for you to decide and by how much you're altering any loft (2 degrees in your case) which will add 2 degrees of bounce. P790's tend to have quite a bit of bounce in their lower irions (correct me if I'm wrong but the PW is 10.5 degrees?? - that's sand wedge territory..), so if you're not a big divot taker and have a shallow angle of attack and play from firm ground conditions, you may encounter a bit of a problem with ball striking.

If I were rocking a 20 index, I'd be inclined to leave the lofts at stock. Just my opinion.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

I am about to order a set of irons with lie adjustments. I really like the P790 TaylorMade irons but I like the lofts of the P770 models better , how much will ordering the P790 irons 2 degrees weak affect the bounce?

It’s 2° more bounce. How affects the turf interaction and your swing is unknown by anyone here. You will have to test to find out.

The lofts of the p790 are what they are because of the design and same for p770. 

Chaging loft is also going to have an impact on launch and spin.

Have you hit the p790s in their standard lofts? If so what were the results. 

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

5 hours ago, jaskanski said:

irions (correct me if I'm wrong but the PW is 10.5 degrees?? - that's sand wedge territory..), so if you're not a big divot taker and have a shallow angle of attack and play from firm ground conditions, you may encounter a bit of a problem with ball striking.

But there is also more too it than that.  If you deliver the club with 5 degrees forward shaft lean the 10.5 is now delivered at 5.5 with a square face.  Closed face and it is probably less and open face would be slightly more.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s 2° more bounce. How affects the turf interaction and your swing is unknown by anyone here. You will have to test to find out.

The lofts of the p790 are what they are because of the design and same for p770. 

Chaging loft is also going to have an impact on launch and spin.

Have you hit the p790s in their standard lofts? If so what were the results. 

I have hit the 790 [7 iron ]but with Dynamic gold regular shaft. I hit them better than my Ping 730 or Srixon ZX4 MK 2 irons but I need to squeeze every drop of RELIABLE distance I can because my ion play is much much stronger than hybrid or Fairway Wood so actually being able to use a the 5 iron and get results with it instead of leaving it out of the bag would be big for me. 

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

8 minutes ago, Fred Mitchell said:

I have hit the 790 [7 iron ]but with Dynamic gold regular shaft. I hit them better than my Ping 730 or Srixon ZX4 MK 2 irons but I need to squeeze every drop of RELIABLE distance I can because my ion play is much much stronger than hybrid or Fairway Wood so actually being able to use a the 5 iron and get results with it instead of leaving it out of the bag would be big for me. 

What was your launch, spin, apex and descent angle with the p790s?

How does weakening the loft of the p790 get you more distance?

37 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How does weakening the loft of the p790 get you more distance? Because I literally dont even carry the 5 because I dont loft it enough. Its been over a month on the numbers were comparable except the 790s were a tiny bit higher in flight

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

42 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How does weakening the loft of the p790 get you more distance?

I dont flight the longer irons enough , hoping the loft will give me some help there.. Over a month but numbers were roughly same except the 790 flew a little higher.

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

actually being able to use a the 5 iron and get results with it instead of leaving it out of the bag would be big for me. 

Why do you need a 5 iron?   Just find a different club that works (different model, utility, hybrid, FW)    I don't carry a 5 iron because I don't hit it consistently or get the distance I need.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Fred Mitchell said:

I dont flight the longer irons enough , hoping the loft will give me some help there.. Over a month but numbers were roughly same except the 790 flew a little higher.

This provides no information about what your numbers are.

What does fight the long irons enough mean?

Height is your friend when trying to get distance. 

Also still not understanding why you think adjsusting loft 2° weaker is going to help achieve whatever goal you have

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This provides no information about what your numbers are.

What does fight the long irons enough mean?

Height is your friend when trying to get distance. 

Also still not understanding why you think adjsusting loft 2° weaker is going to help achieve whatever goal you have

weaker loft for higher flight, u just said height is my friend

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Why do you need a 5 iron?   Just find a different club that works (different model, utility, hybrid, FW)    I don't carry a 5 iron because I don't hit it consistently or get the distance I need.

I agree, its mot an ego thing. The problem is I am a LOT better with irons than with hybrids / woods.

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

What about a lighter weight shaft with an EI profile that has a softer tip to increase launch?

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

Ask the manufacturer.  Talk to your fitter or whomever you are buying from.  It's your money, get the answer right.  As the other answers show, there are several variables that interact.

Edited by Donn lost in San Diego

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, cnosil said:

But there is also more too it than that.  If you deliver the club with 5 degrees forward shaft lean the 10.5 is now delivered at 5.5 with a square face.  Closed face and it is probably less and open face would be slightly more.  

True - but I think the chances of a 20 handicap having 5 degrees of forward shaft lean and a square face with a set of irons which are generally considered to be mid to low handicap range are frankly low. And under the misguided notion that extra loft will help with getting the ball in the air (it will to some extent, but not in the way the intent is there) I think the brutal truth is that this is not an equipment issue, this is more an ability issue.

On the back of that assessemt (just an opinion and not an ultimate recommendation to the OP) I would suggest going to see a professional for a swing assessment and for them to recommend something to suit their game, rather than pulling the trigger on a blind buy set of irons, which look great and perfom well in the right hands, but are possibly not the solution they are looking for in terms of function to swing mechanics. Respectfully.

Edited by jaskanski

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

weaker loft for higher flight, u just said height is my friend

It is but with a lot of other things in launch characteristics it can be a bad thing when it’s too high.

you are already hitting the p790 higher than the 770 so.

This is where knowing your exact numbers for dynamic loft, launch, spin, apex and descent angle with each come into play. We don’t know what your height is with either and he’s it’s being achievers nor do we know if the ball is ballooning which is what you are seeing in terms of height difference, which is that’s the case more loft is going to be bad

you have to look at how the 790 and 770 are achieving the height and distance along with the other things I mentioned and evaluate them an then determine if there is a benefit of weakening lofts.

youre best bet is to go to a reputable fitter and let them get you in the right set makeup

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

5 hours ago, jaskanski said:

True - but I think the chances of a 20 handicap having 5 degrees of forward shaft lean and a square face with a set of irons which are generally considered to be mid to low handicap range are frankly low. And under the misguided notion that extra loft will help with getting the ball in the air (it will to some extent, but not in the way the intent is there) I think the brutal truth is that this is not an equipment issue, this is more an ability issue.

On the back of that assessemt (just an opinion and not an ultimate recommendation to the OP) I would suggest going to see a professional for a swing assessment and for them to recommend something to suit their game, rather than pulling the trigger on a blind buy set of irons, which look great and perfom well in the right hands, but are possibly not the solution they are looking for in terms of function to swing mechanics. Respectfully.

Agree and more than likely more loft is being delivers at impact rather than shaft lean and delofting the club. Adding more loft by weakening the lofts is probably going to do more harm than good.

There seems to be an unknown in the launch numbers for each set as well a understanding of them.

Agree a good fitting is better option for the op rather than tinkering based on ego or some other factor.

I have a p790 bent 3* weak only in a 5i. Just wanting a friendlier 5i than my one from the set. I do not see any differences in the turf interaction although I did not hit it at stock loft. It does however eliminate any offset which is very pleasing at address. 

I would not get these types of club in my lower irons but I would not say its not playable bending them.

My primary reason for bending mine is for gapping. The less offset is just a bonus. Stock 5i loft is 23.5* which is my 4i lol. But bending them makes them go nice and high, looks good at address and goes that 210y stock carry I am looking for in a friendlier package. 

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke  9*  :Fuji: Ventus TR Black 6X 45.25"

FW: :taylormade-small: BRNR mini Driver 13.5*  Hzrdus Blue 70g 6.5 tipped 1"

Utility:  :callaway-logo-1: UW 21*  Hzrdus black 80g 6.5

Irons :   :srixon-small: ZX Utility 4 23* MCA Diamana Thump 100x

:srixon-small: Z785 5-PW Nippon Modus 120x

Wedges:  :callaway-logo-1: TCB AW 50* Nippon Modus 120x

:cleveland-small: zipcore 55* DG Wedge Spinner

:vokey-small: Vokey Wedgeworks T grind 60*  REV 2.0

Putter:  :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa 3T 

BB8W MCA MMT Putter shaft