My Titleist GT fitting experience / review

Braehead

Great write up!

It's interesting to me that the Ping G430 LST (at least in the one photo)  launched a touch lower than the GT,  but you had a lot more spin.    On paper, you'd think the 430LST would be far and away a lower spinning head vs the GT2.  

I'm in a very similar boat.   I play the G425 LST and while I'm getting good results keeping it in play, it really feels like I'm giving up a lot of yardage. 

Callaway Paradym TD
Cobra BioCell + 3/4 wood
Callaway Apex Pro 21 3 hybrid
Ping S55 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50f, 56s
Ping Tour Gorge 58 TS
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ColdOkieGolf said:

Great write up!

It's interesting to me that the Ping G430 LST (at least in the one photo)  launched a touch lower than the GT,  but you had a lot more spin.    On paper, you'd think the 430LST would be far and away a lower spinning head vs the GT2.  

I'm in a very similar boat.   I play the G425 LST and while I'm getting good results keeping it in play, it really feels like I'm giving up a lot of yardage. 

I've not been able to cut and paste the Trackman data easily but the G430 was 6ft higher on average than the GT2 and that was with a low pull hook included at 72ft too, take that out and it was a 12ft difference in height.  The GT land angle was better too.   Launch angles are within 1° of each other (with GT higher).  Interestingly swing speed was lower with the GT models but efficiency and ball speed were better.

It's always easy to get carried away when you're at these events and think you must have the new kit as the marginal gains are obviously worth the money.  What I don't like is that you don't get the chance to optimise your own club, or even hit it again at the end as a double-check.  When I've been fitted for drivers previously, I've often thought "OK, let's try that new shaft in my current head and get the settings as close as possible to see if it's just a shaft change I need".  I have to remember these are sales promotions though!  

Edited by Braehead
extra

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway Paradym, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta with KBS OneStep shaft

Ball: ProV1x (or Wilson Staff Model X)

I think it's something super understated that you mentioned, the point of being outside and using actual balls your would play. Not range balls. I'm curious if that would make the difference between someone getting one driver vs. the other. 

Great write up!!

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

9 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

I think it's something super understated that you mentioned, the point of being outside and using actual balls your would play. Not range balls. I'm curious if that would make the difference between someone getting one driver vs. the other. 

Great write up!!

Even if they stuck a net up and made you hit into that so they don't lose the balls would probably work for double checking launch, spin etc!  

That write up deserves a golf clap, @Braehead. Well done, sir.

Such a lovely view from The Fairmont. Stayed there last time I was in town but didn’t play it. The similar view we had at the Castle Course is forever burned into my brain. Very envious that you call the area home. Can’t wait to go back.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

• Braehead changed the title to My Titleist GT fitting experience / review

Great fitting review.  I guess it would be ideal to see differences so clear that the choice was easy to make.  Your description of the fitting shared your thought processes and that is more helpful for me than a simple crunching of numbers .

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

5 hours ago, GolferXY said:

Great fitting review.  I guess it would be ideal to see differences so clear that the choice was easy to make.  Your description of the fitting shared your thought processes and that is more helpful for me than a simple crunching of numbers .

Thanks. Demo days like this are great, but when your kit is already well fitted the differences are not going to be massive. The data does show an improvement and if I just went with numbers then I'd chase the marginal gains.  I've written a few posts in my personal blog about the "hedonic treadmill" and my personal issues with constant club changing 🤣.  

15 hours ago, Braehead said:

hedonic treadmill"

Now your speaking my language! Though most of the time I'm just chasing my own tale (sic) 😃

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart