TaylorMade P-Series and Hi-Toe 4 Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

You know you've been searching for more info about the P770 when a 7min video from 'Golf Talk Canada' pops up at the top of your youtube homepage suggested vids as well as a robot arm test of the P770 (Cool Clubs YT channel).. Ha ha.

1st vid: Golf Talk Canada: I thought I'd share here, as 1) we have a couple of Canadian testers and 2) it's a good overview of both the P770 and P7CB from Taylormade's Matt Bovee...

There's some good info from TM in the vid, including who each are targeted at. For the P770 it was good to head confirmation that the intent is to move it further from the P770 and more of a players' iron and aimed at 0-10 handicap players.

This graphic is a cool exploded view of the P770 construction, showing the cast body, tungsten weight, speed slot, speed foam air and the forged face:

image.png.45a40761c10db0ab92086eb9dd170172.png

2nd vid: Cool Clubs:

They show robot arm test results at 80mph & 90mph club head speed with their ratings.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Just now, LeakyValve said:

@Indy_Oz I really liked the robot test. Thought it was sweet how they showed actual dispersion on off centre hits. 

I thought the same. Including dispersion for off-center hits is very useful and reassuring - it confirms what I saw during the fitting.

2024 WITB:

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

51 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

1st vid: Golf Talk Canada: I thought I'd share here, as 1) we have a couple of Canadian testers and 2) it's a good overview of both the P770 and P7CB from Taylormade's Matt Bovee...

... Thanks, nice vids! I get the comparison/differences of the P770 and P7CB but what I don't quite understand is if the short irons carry the same distance, and if the P7CB only spins around 100rpm's more, why would anyone combo the set in the typical 8-pw and 4-7? I get those adding a 4 or 5 with P770's to a set of P7CB's but I hear lots of the traditional combo's talked about and don't quite understand why anyone would do that.  🤔

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

32 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Thanks, nice vids! I get the comparison/differences of the P770 and P7CB but what I don't quite understand is if the short irons carry the same distance, and if the P7CB only spins around 100rpm's more, why would anyone combo the set in the typical 8-pw and 4-7? I get those adding a 4 or 5 with P770's to a set of P7CB's but I hear lots of the traditional combo's talked about and don't quite understand why anyone would do that.  🤔

For me it would come down to how consistently accurate you can be on ball speed, carry etc with a CB vs 770 in the scoring irons (8-P). CBs shouldn't suffer from any level of the 'hot' shots associated with the hollow body face 'trampolining'. Sure, higher/middle of the face shots will be lower spin still with the CB and may result in a 'flyer', but the CB should be more consistent than a hollow body for those shots. CB just requires better ball striking in general and is less forgiving, which isn't as big a deal in 8-P. The CB might be a nice step between 'players distance' and solid construction wedges for some too. That's how it makes sense to me- if my rambling comment makes sense to you/ anyone.lol

All that said, if the short/ scoring 770 irons are consistently accurate on carry with no notable 'hot' shots, I then wouldn't see any need in a combo set either.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

19 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

For me it would come down to how consistently accurate you can be on ball speed, carry etc with a CB vs 770 in the scoring irons (8-P). CBs shouldn't suffer from any level of the 'hot' shots associated with the hollow body face 'trampolining'. Sure, higher/middle of the face shots will be lower spin still with the CB and may result in a 'flyer', but the CB should be more consistent than a hollow body for those shots. CB just requires better ball striking in general and is less forgiving, which isn't as big a deal in 8-P. The CB might be a nice step between 'players distance' and solid construction wedges for some too. That's how it makes sense to me- if my rambling comment makes sense to you/ anyone.lol

All that said, if the short/ scoring 770 irons are consistently accurate on carry with no notable 'hot' shots, I then wouldn't see any need in a combo set either.

... Thanks not ramblin' at all and that would make sense of course, but every test I have seen so far have the short irons for the P770's and P7CB's as almost identical in every way, other than just a hair more spin with the CB's. Without the spring face speed slot I imagine the faces of the short irons are thicker and we know the CG is higher. The goal for the P770's has always has been a set anyone can play from long to short. I have a MG3 46* wedge I was gonna a play and just order the 5-pw but decided to give the pw a try based on my T200 that gave me the performance I wanted. 

... It just strikes me as a little head scratching when they say precisely because they perform so similar they are easy to combo. Obviously of the P7CB's spun markedly less and produced a lower trajectory it would make sense to combo but that doesn't seem to be the case in any pf the reviews I have watched/read. Anyway just a thought and I don't wanna sidetrack this thread and want to let you MGS Reviewers take center stage. 

Main post updated with my fitting experience and final specs ordered. I've run through as much detail as I can recall from yesterday, so the update is maybe on the long side! I didn't video anything and only took a couple of photos. Too focused on the fitting to remember to do so. Ha ha.

Main post: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66519-testers-announced-taylormade-p-series-and-hi-toe-4-wedges/?do=findComment&comment=1120096 

Let me know if you have any questions about the fitting process.

Edit: I’ve also added a short video to the main post showing my swing with (I think) a 7-iron. 

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

On 9/3/2024 at 3:38 AM, Shapotomous said:

anything that wants to kick the Mizzy’s out of the bag better be pin hunter

I'm playing the same exact irons and I am a very similar index (3.1) so I am very intrigued to read your review! 

Also, that swing is unreal at any age. 👍 Good for you brother!

Golf club enthusiast. Fitting takes the fun out of the experiment!

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Thanks not ramblin' at all and that would make sense of course, but every test I have seen so far have the short irons for the P770's and P7CB's as almost identical in every way, other than just a hair more spin with the CB's. Without the spring face speed slot I imagine the faces of the short irons are thicker and we know the CG is higher. The goal for the P770's has always has been a set anyone can play from long to short. I have a MG3 46* wedge I was gonna a play and just order the 5-pw but decided to give the pw a try based on my T200 that gave me the performance I wanted. 

... It just strikes me as a little head scratching when they say precisely because they perform so similar they are easy to combo. Obviously of the P7CB's spun markedly less and produced a lower trajectory it would make sense to combo but that doesn't seem to be the case in any pf the reviews I have watched/read. Anyway just a thought and I don't wanna sidetrack this thread and want to let you MGS Reviewers take center stage. 

I completely get what you're saying. On one of the videos I shared earlier, the TM rep confirmed the intent was to move these further from P790 and closer to the CB. Maybe doing so brings them too close and the decision to go CB or 770 just comes down to personal preference. The P770 feels and sounds amazing to me and much closer to the sound and feel of the P7CB than I'd expected. Maybe the blend sets are a luxury or throw-back to tradition at this point.

Not sidetracking at all for me. All valuable questions and they prompt good discussion that others considering these irons, or blended setc, might want to consider and benefit from. 👍

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

My Intro is posted in the beginning of the thread....

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

11 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Main post updated with my fitting experience and final specs ordered. I've run through as much detail as I can recall from yesterday, so the update is maybe on the long side! I didn't video anything and only took a couple of photos. Too focused on the fitting to remember to do so. Ha ha.

This is something I'm definitely going to need to remember tomorrow during my fitting process 😅 great write-up on the fitting though! It's always interesting to see how certain fitters have different processes for finding the right fit for players. 

My fitting is at a TaylorMade fitting expo at a local course tomorrow. I was only allowed to book a slot for 30 minutes, but hoping since it's the last slot available that I can potentially stay longer. Will also be showing up early to hopefully maximize time. 30 minutes definitely doesn't seem like enough time for a full iron set fitting, but we'll do the best we can! 

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

32 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

This is something I'm definitely going to need to remember tomorrow during my fitting process 😅 great write-up on the fitting though! It's always interesting to see how certain fitters have different processes for finding the right fit for players. 

My fitting is at a TaylorMade fitting expo at a local course tomorrow. I was only allowed to book a slot for 30 minutes, but hoping since it's the last slot available that I can potentially stay longer. Will also be showing up early to hopefully maximize time. 30 minutes definitely doesn't seem like enough time for a full iron set fitting, but we'll do the best we can! 

Thanks! Good luck with your fitting. Getting the final time is a smart move. Maximises your chance for bonus free time for sure. That is definitely a 'club demo' time slot, but hopefully you can quickly settle on a good fit shaft and setup. Swing well and warm up plenty beforehand!

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

1 hour ago, Byrnzee said:

I'm sure if you mention to them why you are there that they will help you with the fitting for longer. But hey, maybe within that 30 the fitter can get you locked in and ready to go.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

1 hour ago, Byrnzee said:

30 min wouldn't have been enough time for the playing around we did.  Hopefully the fitter gets into it and gives you the time you need.  Bring him a beer as a little incentive!!  😄   

I took about an hour to try 10 different shafts along with a couple lie angle and loft adjustments.  I wasn't hitting too many balls in every set up.  My swing and face contact was consistent so we could tell at about 5 or less balls what was working and if it was time to move to a different set up.  Good thing it didn't take 10 shots....because i was tired at the end hitting what I did!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 minute ago, Shapotomous said:

30 min wouldn't have been enough time for the playing around we did.  Hopefully the fitter gets into it and gives you the time you need.  Bring him a beer as a little incentive!!  😄   

I took about an hour to try 10 different shafts along with a couple lie angle and loft adjustments.  I wasn't hitting too many balls in every set up.  My swing and face contact was consistent so we could tell at about 5 or less balls what was working and if it was time to move to a different set up.  Good thing it didn't take 10 shots....because i was tired at the end hitting what I did!

Unfortunately unless I wanted to settle for a big box fitter like PGA Tour Superstore or Club Champion, I had to settle with the 30 min slot. This fitter is supposed to be one of the best in the area, but only had times available during the workday other than this expo being put on at his course tomorrow. 

The beer isn’t a bad idea! Might as well bring a few just in case. Luckily will be coming right from a morning round so hopefully will be nice and loose and we can hop right into it. 

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

1 minute ago, Byrnzee said:

Unfortunately unless I wanted to settle for a big box fitter like PGA Tour Superstore or Club Champion, I had to settle with the 30 min slot. This fitter is supposed to be one of the best in the area, but only had times available during the workday other than this expo being put on at his course tomorrow. 

The beer isn’t a bad idea! Might as well bring a few just in case. Luckily will be coming right from a morning round so hopefully will be nice and loose and we can hop right into it. 

Given the head is already decided I don't imagine 30 minutes being an issue. 

Shaft should only take 3 or 4 to dial in and then recs on loft and lie. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

38 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Given the head is already decided I don't imagine 30 minutes being an issue. 

Shaft should only take 3 or 4 to dial in and then recs on loft and lie. 

You left out the 1/2 hr trying the upgrade shafts just for fun and entertainment!! 

(and future swap out possibilities)  🤫  🤪

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

You left out the 1/2 hr trying the upgrade shafts just for fun and entertainment!! 

(and future swap out possibilities)  🤫  🤪

... While it would be fun, you won't need more time even for playing around with upgrades. You have a repeatable swing and will be able to tell in 2 swings whether a shaft feels good and the numbers line up. A really good fitter will put several shafts off to the side and then go back and fine tune which one works best for both performance and feel, which usually go hand in hand. I hope you get to hit some of the quality graphite iron shafts! 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... While it would be fun, you won't need more time even for playing around with upgrades. You have a repeatable swing and will be able to tell in 2 swings whether a shaft feels good and the numbers line up. A really good fitter will put several shafts off to the side and then go back and fine tune which one works best for both performance and feel, which usually go hand in hand. I hope you get to hit some of the quality graphite iron shafts! 

After only one or two shots with the Project X Rifle shaft, the fitter said he could see I liked it as my reaction and facial expression was different to the others we'd tried. It was like a lightbulb switched on. I felt in control of the club head, couldn't feel the shaft flex in transition or release and the ball felt in control. It just clicked and made sense. After that it was fine tuning and hitting a couple of others just to confirm they weren't in the running.lol

After hitting that shaft a few times I lost all interest in playing around with the composite shafts he had in stock (he didn't have Accra, which were the one composite shaft I was really curious about).

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

... What a Pleasant Surprise! 🥳

... I ordered Steelfiber i80 custom shafted P770's on Tuesday 9/3. They were built, shipped and arrived in 4 DAYS!!! OK, ok seriously rushing this order I expected specs to be all over the place but these are the most accurate spec'ed irons I have ever received from any OEM in 40 years and probably over 50 sets of irons. Every single club was dead on specs with the exception of the 8 iron that had a loft of 36* instead of 37* but every lie angle was perfect and I have never experienced that kind of accuracy. They are also very easy to bend. 

... I hope you guys testing get yours quickly as well, although the Promotion Dept is always slower than purchased clubs. I ordered std specs because I bent them 2* up myself and I also had my grips shipped in the box because Golf Galaxy didn't have Lamkin ST +2 Hybrid grips as an option. I imagine skipping both of those reduced some assembly time ... but 4 days without expedited shipping is just insane. 🤪 I am way beyond impressed with Taylor Mades delivery speed and their specification accuracy. 

P770box.JPG.7c95ea478e34388b2efb0f2e2834efc7.JPGP770heads.JPG.9c5210b4782525aca8f4de3afdab640b.JPGP770shaftsgrips.JPG.b18cd76a598a96dd076632c98290dd20.JPG

Edited by chisag

3 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

After only one or two shots with the Project X Rifle shaft, the fitter said he could see I liked it as my reaction and facial expression was different to the others we'd tried. It was like a lightbulb switched on. I felt in control of the club head, couldn't feel the shaft flex in transition or release and the ball felt in control. It just clicked and made sense. After that it was fine tuning and hitting a couple of others just to confirm they weren't in the running.lol

After hitting that shaft a few times I lost all interest in playing around with the composite shafts he had in stock (he didn't have Accra, which were the one composite shaft I was really curious about).

That's about what I felt like during the Titleist fitting a few weeks ago. Went through the two Ventus, the VA Composites, the Tensei, etc, then hit the first shot with the Tour AD VF and pretty much knew we had found the right shaft. Hit a few more just to verify it wasn't a fluke, but that one just worked. Didn't even care to try to Oban or Autoflex for fun after that. 

I could basically throw just about any iron head onto a Modus Tour 120 and play it. That shaft is just something special for me. Too bad it wasn't available from PXG when I got my Gen4s. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

TMPC FITTING EXPERIENCE!!

Sept 5/24

20240905_163101.jpg.71e4e7ad30ec662eaad3f00ed64a0bbe.jpg

A few days ago now I went to the performance centre to get fit. My fitter, Mark, was outstanding. He was nice enough to let me film the whole fitting, so I set my phone behind me, left a mic on the work table and clipped another to my hat and we just went away. 

First off. The P-770’s. Are absolutely stunning. I'm mad I didn't get pictures. I just set my phone up before we got started and I hit record. I did get some good recordings of all the iron line up, but I promise some wicked pictures will come. 

The top line is so much thinner than my gamers. The Acer's are big and clunky. If they had feet, they would trip over each other. But the P’s… they're refined. The satin is such a nice touch around the face and the back of the club it really does make me think “timeless”. The milled face insert is a very nice contrast to the satin so there's no guessing where the ball needs to hit the face. And the sole/leading edge doesn't scream “I'm a blade”. Just politely tells you “ you're a player, you got this!” Also, to clear any confusion about the club head and it's hollow body design. CAST BODY. FORGED FACE. This is something that's driven me nuts over the past few days. Zero actual info on the construction of the head. And yes I directly asked Mark this question. 

Now for the fitting… I hit most of the lighter shafts as the heavy ones have been tiring me out on the course. I took a few swings with the Project X XT in a stiff and it felt like a 2x4. We went though most of the lighter DG line (Mid 115/Gold105) the Nippon Modus 120T, and did these shafts in both stiff and X stiff flexes. Compared to my gamers things were… close. But I think the full CB nature of my current gamers definitely gives me a bit of a distance boost. Talking 129.7 Ball speed, 190.9 carry, 199.3 total. She's juiced. We were all but set on the Stiff Flex DG Mid 115 when I remembered I wanted to try one more shaft. A KBS. The C-Taper Lite. 

Screenshot_20240907_150453_Chrome.jpg.3812e8ae18da18815ec0ba43711c1818.jpg

Unfortunately Mark didn't have a standard length stiff shaft in the C-Taper so I chose to hit the X any way. And well… let's just say it was preeeety decent. 

(I've tried to zoom on this video). I hit this ball at the cow target, and I landed directly on top of the target. Try making the screen bigger or zooming in. It hits the right side of the back marker. It was nuts. 

Mark and I looked at each other with a bit of an “Ah Haaaaa” moment. We both agreed that while my speed numbers and spin were a bit down. The data comparing the DG 115 in stiff and X showed I have a jump in speed and spin when I get into that stiff shaft. 

Here is all the data on my session. This will be tedious so bare with me. At the end I think you'll agree that we are going to be in the right shaft. Under each picture in brackets will be, in order, Ball speed (mph), spin, height (yds), carry, total. Along with the shaft and flex and lie adjustment. 

Screenshot_20240907_143527_Chrome.jpg.9a75bd239b5cdb2885b651662d495626.jpg

This is all the data in one screen shot. Ignore that one crazy out lier to the left. I think the track man picked up me hitting one of my 3 irons after the session was done. 

Screenshot_20240907_144513_Chrome.jpg.91561bfccceb7e73464df44688dc3a29.jpg

(Current gamers. Apollo Shadow Lite. Stiff. 129.7 mph. 5939 rpm. 35 yds. 191 yds. 199 yds)

Screenshot_20240907_144532_Chrome.jpg.ae75b42030f5d7b31a9ad26597437fc9.jpg

(DG Mid 115. X100. 1* flat. 122 mph. 6492 rpm. 30 yds. 175 yds. 184 yds)

Screenshot_20240907_144546_Chrome.jpg.3a2245153a6ab56b6f00ddfac8b8da57.jpg

(Project X XT 6.0. 1*flat. 125 mph. 6209 rpm. 34.5 yds. 182 yds. 190 yds)

Screenshot_20240907_144601_Chrome.jpg.21ad4758c3190ddce3a264f1d4d955a5.jpg

(Nippon Modus 120 T Stiff. 1*flat. 124 mph. 6118 rpm. 33.8 yds. 182 yds. 190 yds)

Screenshot_20240907_144617_Chrome.jpg.4df2fb39a401ee5e2ea1a2d0db88475d.jpg

(DG Mid 115 X100. Std lie. 130 mph. 6088 rpm. 36 yds. 190 yds. 198 yds)

Screenshot_20240907_144706_Chrome.jpg.cadcc27203ab65d7fe172e7b2a0bfb19.jpg

(DG Mid 115 S300 1* up. 124 mph. 6250 rpm. 34 yds. 180 yds. 188 yds)

Screenshot_20240907_144721_Chrome.jpg.222ff1fdc144b6140131df92da2e8fc6.jpg

(DG Mid 115 S300 1*flat. 126 mph. 6308 rpm. 36 yds. 182 yds. 189 yds)

Screenshot_20240907_144738_Chrome.jpg.74ca1499bc58896664e4b9b32fb7da38.jpg

(KBS C-Taper Lite X Stiff. Std lie. 127 mph. 6052 rpm. 32 yds. 187 yds. 195 yds. THE GROUPING THOUGH!!!) this was my last shaft and it caught the 3 iron shot at the very end. This is what that grouping should look like...

Screenshot_20240905_200123_Chrome.jpg.652d51bef54f5f270df1be686274a0fd.jpg

So that being said. The specs we settled on are!!!!!

KBS C-TAPER LITE - STIFF 1/4 " LONG

STANDARD LIE/LOFT

GRIP.... you gotta wait 🙂

So with the specs figured out now I can talk about the club itself. Like I mentioned. Stunning (Rick Shiels voice). But It's what's under the hood that really impressed me. I personally felt like the clubs were all just a hair short. Hence the ¼ inch added. A lot of my miss hits were square, but right off the bottom grooves. And man did that Speed Pocket, Speed Foam Air, FLTD CG combo work wonders. What really made me a believer was when I hit a not so good one and Mark would just ask “How'd that feel?” I'd reply honestly and say it felt low and brutal. His response (unless I reallllly hit a bad one) was always the same… “ pretty good for a miss..”. Some of these misses, if hit on my Apex's, would have been enough to make a man (me) break a club or two over his leg (also me). Im talking low-toe. Low-heel. Just any where low. If you've played blades you know the feeling. Even if it's not low on the face it's just straight out of the toe or heel. You lose distance. But every time I felt that ball come off the face anywhere but centre Mark would say “good miss.” And honestly that's all I needed to hear. Feeling like you 100% have hit a god awful shot, only to see it soaring and only be a few yards short of your clean shots. 

I wrapped up the session by giving the CB’s a rip as well. They felt like butter when it's been sitting out on the stove but maybe the stove was on for a bit, just so soft. In a good way though. You knew exactly where the ball was on the face at impact. And if it wasn't square. It hurt. I wasn't swinging the hardest and Mark was a bit confused with my numbers. I just told him to hold on a second. 3 ripped 7 irons in a row. Inside a Hulu hoop. As hard as I could hit the darn thing. I explained that to get that distance and that much out of a blade I had to work that hard. And I didn't like that. Swinging easy with a stiff shaft and a head that will help me a bit is perfect. I think the 770 CB combo would maybe fit me in the 4-7 770 / 8-P CB way. But my worry would be that distance gap between 7 and 8 iron. Something I'm actually concerned about with the 770’s. 

For now it's ordering time. And then the best game of all. The waiting game. 

Screenshot_20240907_144627_Chrome.jpg

Edited by LeakyValve
Spell check

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

15 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

Also, to clear any confusion about the club head and it's hollow body design. CAST BODY. FORGED FACE. This is something that's driven me nuts over the past few days. Zero actual info on the construction of the head.

Awesome Fitting Review!  👍

... I think this is actually the best of both worlds. Feel comes from the ball meeting the face and when the entire body was a one piece cavity back the feel of cast or forged produced a different feel. Mainly because forging uses a softer carbon steel and casting a harder stainless steel. But that's another story and the main point is with today's multi material iron heads the important part of the iron for feel is the face.

... I say best of both worlds because a forged body dents easily and shows bag chatter but those markings are reduced considerably with a cast body utilizing a harder steel and you still get that sweet feel from the softer forged face.  

Edited by chisag

I still say that the majority of what most people interpret as "feel" is related to the sound. Throw some headphones in where you can't hear the sound well, it becomes much more difficult to distinguish between cast and forged. Forged face will give the impression of a softer feel than a cast face because that is the contact sound. Forged body would be a much smaller contribution to feel compared to the face construction in my opinion. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

1 hour ago, RichL85 said:

That's about what I felt like during the Titleist fitting a few weeks ago. Went through the two Ventus, the VA Composites, the Tensei, etc, then hit the first shot with the Tour AD VF and pretty much knew we had found the right shaft. Hit a few more just to verify it wasn't a fluke, but that one just worked. Didn't even care to try to Oban or Autoflex for fun after that. 

I could basically throw just about any iron head onto a Modus Tour 120 and play it. That shaft is just something special for me. Too bad it wasn't available from PXG when I got my Gen4s. 

I'm going back to the same fitter at some point to do a driver and FW wood shaft fitting. I want to see exactly what you said- find one that just clicks like my irons did. I just received a new driver (Ai Smoke TD Max) and would love to optimize that- it's a beast and feels and sounds so damn good.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... What a Pleasant Surprise! 🥳

... I ordered Steelfiber i80 custom shafted P770's on Tuesday 9/3. They were built, shipped and arrived in 4 DAYS!!! OK, ok seriously rushing this order I expected specs to be all over the place but these are the most accurate spec'ed irons I have ever received from any OEM in 40 years and probably over 50 sets of irons. Every single club was dead on specs with the exception of the 8 iron that had a loft of 36* instead of 37* but every lie angle was perfect and I have never experienced that kind of accuracy. They are also very easy to bend. 

... I hope you guys testing get yours quickly as well, although the Promotion Dept is always slower than purchased clubs. I ordered std specs because I bent them 2* up myself and I also had my grips shipped in the box because Golf Galaxy didn't have Lamkin ST +2 Hybrid grips as an option. I imagine skipping both of those reduced some assembly time ... but 4 days without expedited shipping is just insane. 🤪 I am way beyond impressed with Taylor Mades delivery speed and their specification accuracy. 

P770box.JPG.7c95ea478e34388b2efb0f2e2834efc7.JPGP770heads.JPG.9c5210b4782525aca8f4de3afdab640b.JPGP770shaftsgrips.JPG.b18cd76a598a96dd076632c98290dd20.JPG

That's incredibly fast! Congrats on the new arrivals. I love that they look well packaged for shipment. A lot better than my Ai Smoke driver was.

I was tempted to order the grips in the box to fit them how I want and see if they'll turn up quicker. Ha ha. But I have a work trip coming up, so if they take over a week that's fine.

I look forward to your initial thoughts when you get to hit more than just the 7-iron.lol

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

Here is a teaser pic from the fitting data..  Dispersion pattern of the shaft winner on the P7CB in blue compared to the current JPX Forged PX LZ 6.0 in yellow.  More data coming!

IMG_20240907_092741738.jpg.820db464f1b24499484090c2c0bbba88.jpg

23 hours ago, chisag said:

Y'all need to live it up a little....or maybe i need to get out more!  🤔

I can kill an hour trying a bunch of shafts just seeing how bad they are for my swing for entertainment!  😄.   

Stick an X flex in there and lets see if i can come close to transitioning hard enough to make it work....stick an A flex and lets see if i can smooth out my swing enough!  

Put different shafts in there that fit my profile and i will do a bunch of 3/4 swings to work the ball in different windows...which shaft works best for both full and 3/4 swings.

And of course i am not machine gunning the shots out there.  I take my time so i am not too tired by the end.

Ok....after reading this maybe i need some variety in my pursuit of entertainment!!  😄