Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How often should you get fitted

Dave got me to thinking about fittings and how often we should be getting fitted. Should it be every year, 2 years or when we start to notice a performance lag?

How often do you check your specs and get them reevaluated?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Loft and lie checks every year for me.  I play cast clubs though not as concerned with them getting out of whack.  If you play a lot and use forged clubs then you might be checking those more often.

As for a full fitting, I base that on body and swing changes.  If I haven't changed my swing at all and my body hasn't changed much I'm not too concerned with going for a full fitting.  I know my current specs and I'll keep rolling with them and get checked every few years.  If you go through a major swing change or lose/gain a bunch of weight/muscle then you should probably go more often.

It also depends how knowledgeable you are in regards to your swing and what you are looking for when buying new equipment.  If you can understand launch monitor numbers and really know your equipment then you can probably understand if something is working or not without a full fitting. 

One really nice thing about the place I've been using for fittings (Totally Driven, MN) is that they have a 'fit for life' program.  If you get fit there and follow their recommendations then you are considered fit for life in whatever category of equipment you got fit for.  This allows you to get refit once a year with no additional cost and also free loft/lie checks.  It's a nice way for me to verify that my equipment still fits my game each season without having to shell out for a fitting each year.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is a good question and one I have also been pondering since reading Dave's thread. For those of us who don't really live within what might be considered a convenient distance of a good fitting center, it becomes a question of taking the time and energy to set up the appt, travel to the fitting location, perhaps stay overnight, etc. For me, this is a full day event each for irons, woods, and wedges/putter. You might combine some of those together, but I'm only good for a full fitting of one per session. Needless to say, I have not been back to have my specs checked since I was fit for my irons and driver 3 years ago. I don't feel like much has changed, but am I really the best judge of whether or not my swing has changed? Would I notice gradual changes in torso rotation or swing plane? Maybe, but maybe not.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Archived