Sign in to follow this  
jmwils81

FAT! PHAT! FAT!

I prefer the PH!

Ok so, This winter as I was getting LM numbers for the Paderson review I also spent time trying to get solid muscle memory for 40-60 pitch shots. The dome by my place is about 65 yards so it was perfect.

Or so I thought.

I got really good at distance control within the dome.....on a mat......that gave me a false sense of getting really good.

See, I have been out three times this year and every shot within 80 yards has been fat going half to 3/4 of the distance I need it to go.

Has anyone else experienced the "dig effect" from hitting on mats all winter?
How do I get rid of this?! I tried placing everything in my right pocket in my left pocket and turn my hat backwards and I am still Phat shoting it around the course.

I had the same problem. Just keep playing and get some range time on grass when you can. You'll work it out.

Make sure your posture is correct. I find when I start hitting these fat, my posture has gotten lax and I've slouched/squatted more. Make sure your posture hasn't gotten lazy.

• Like 1

The only way I know to avoid it is to really pay attention to what your hands are telling you as you hit off of a mat.  Its easy sometimes to have it feel a little funny but look at the flight of the ball and decide it was OK.  If it feels funny it probably was - even of flight looks OK.

I have a SkyTrak machine now and the spin number tells the story as well.  Spin tends to be low on one you skipped the club into.  But this is really nothing that my hands do not already tell me.

I try to turn it around a little.  I think its harder to hit it clean off of a mat than turf.  The turf itself gives you a little margin for error that most mats don't have.  I try to get good at hitting it clean off of a mat and then turf will be not problem.

For now I agree that it will work out.  Check the basics to make sure you didn't fall into a bad habit or two.

I have the same problem every year. I tend to be very steep in my swing so when I get on a mat it lets me get that steep with less penalty. Once I get on turf I have to almost completely relearn my swing. I'm learning year by year though how NOT to do this. Just take some practice time on the range and feel your swing out and you should be good.

Also getting some video or someone (even lessons) to watch you helps you see the problems too.

What helps me is looking directly in front of the ball. If your swing is steep like you say, you should pick it a little better or cleaner and your divot should be in front of the ball

I was going to say the same thing. Think about touching the ground in front of the ball on the way through the swing. Don't make the ball your target.