At Home Lesson from David Leadbetter, on Wii

JohnBarry

David Leadbetter for the Wii

Leadbetter give you personal lessons for less than $1000 per session!

bd_title.gifEver wanted to be able to say that your personal golf trainer is David Leadbetter? Now you can without having to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Coming this October, we will all have the chance to get some of Leadbetter's best tips and drills, along with his swing analysis, from the comfort of our own living rooms.

This year at the annual E3 gaming convention, Data Design Interactive unveiled their latest development, targeted towards golfers and their never-ending quest to get better. For players looking for alternative ways to better their game, Data Design Interactive enlisted world renowned coach David Leadbetter in producing an exciting new game titled "My Personal Golf Trainer." This new game makes use of the Nintendo Wii's motion capturing controllers (known as the Wii MotionPlus and Wii Balance Board) to help guide your way to a better swing. Hit the jump to find out more about this upcoming release!

my_personal_trainer_wii_cover_art.jpgLet me preface this entire column by first saying this is not a substitution for proper lessons from your local PGA teaching pro. Nothing comes close to proper lessons from a living, breathing pro, regardless of how good the technology is. This game does, however, have the potential to be a great way to reinforce the teachings of your pro.

Game Overview

"My Personal Golf Trainer" takes advantage of the Wii Balance Board and the Wii MotionPlus controller in order to provide analysis of all the facets of your swing, including swing speed, weight transfer, swing path, and more. The game incorporates David Ledbetter's 7 Steps to a Better Golf Swing and gives personalized feedback according to Ledbetter's 7 steps. It also provides drills and videos to enforce the changes recommended by the game. The player's swing gradually improves as each of the basics are addressed. The game can then progress to the driving range, and then later to a full 18-hole round. During the round, Ledbetter can be summoned to provide feedback and suggestions. Your entire swing will be tracked and recorded in 3D using the balance board and Motion Plus controller.

my_personal_trainer_wii_swing_path.jpg

Once a swing is recorded, you have the ability to analyze your swing and see the faults, just as if someone were there videoing you. Wanna see where you're at during impact? Now you can. Shanked a shot into the pond on the right? Ledbetter can help identify why, and then suggest ways to eliminate the faulty movement. When you consider that parts of the swing such as tempo, balance, and weight transfer can be practiced without an actual club, you can see how this game could really help your game.

my_personal_trainer_wii_swing.jpg

You could spend thousands of dollars on other devices that will give you some of the same information My Personal Golf Trainer does, but they're not going to give you feedback from one of the most highly regarded instructors in the world. Game content such as the instructional videos and the drills are most likely worth the cost of the equivalent Leadbetter DVDs.

my_personal_trainer_wii_feedback.jpg

Pricing & Availability

The game itself will be available for right around $50, but there is more to it than just the game. The Wii Fit bundle, which includes the Balance Board, is going to run around $90 at most major retailers. The MotionPlus controller can be had for $20-$25. As you can see, if you're a newcomer to the Wii's motion-sensitive controllers, you'll have to spend a little bit before you can take advantage of "My Personal Golf Trainer." If you already own a Wii, and the previously listed hardware, you're ready to go! Look for the actual game to make its way to stores this coming October.

Final Thoughts

I believe this is an amazing use of technology, and can be a great help, especially for those that live in areas where the weather prohibits golf during the quickly approaching winter season. The concept is great, but as I said before, this is not a substitution for formal lessons. It could, however, serve as a tool to give the golfer a lot of positive reinforcement.

The only issue I see is the controller itself. Without the full weight and length of a club in your hands, it's going to feel a bit different, and may lead you to swing differently than you would normally. Still, I see this as a great way to practice good tempo, weight transfer, and other components of the swing. With alternative methods of controls, such as the Nintendo Wii's MotionPlus, and the recently announced Project Natal from Microsoft, an entirely new form of training is possible. I personally believe we are just seeing the beginning of something great!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

This is a cool idea, BUT anytime I've played with a Wii I've gotten very frustrated by the lack of precision in the controls. I would be very skeptical about getting already-generic swing advice based on data from a device that I don't think is terribly precise. Just my opinion, of course.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I agree, but the new motion sensor controllers for the Wii, which this supports and encourages you to use, are a 100% better than the old ones, a neat idea for sure.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I may need to pick this up for the 4 months I can't get out on the course... looks better than what I usually do in the off season... sit on the couch and do nothing...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• 2 weeks later...

The balance board is awesome they have a driving range on one of the games already and it tracks ur weight transfer and stuff pretty simple compared to what this game looks like it is going to do but i am definately goign to try this baby out !!!!!!!!!!

HIGHLY RECOMENDED

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

• SPY VIP

Someone will market a club accessory that will fit the controller with a real golf grip. Club weight may me tougher to replicate though. Maybe this will get my daughter to play.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The Wii is a lot of fun, and definitely can show fundamentals. I've got one myself and like to play golf games on it. But there is NO way you are going to completely duplicate a golf swing with one of those controllers in your hand instead of a club. I like the idea of making one with a golf grip. As said above, it still is going to be tough to duplicate the weight of a club let alone the balance.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I have taken lessons from 5 different " pros " and continue with the same slice,thin or fat shots and am tired of good money after bad to these guys. I practice 4 times a week and try to play twice a week and take full responsibility for my crappy swing.

With that said I will buy this if for nothing more than keeping some kind of swing over the winter. This looks COOL I hope it lives up to hype soon to come.

Thanks for the heads up.

Why the strong anti?

I'm not a huge fan of any of the big guys: Leadbetter, Haney, Harmon, etc. I just am not a huge fan of all of the things they teach. Just looking at their Golf Digest tips, they suggest some things that I would never tell a golfer to do, ever.

Fair enough. I was thinking it could be the hat. :)

Of those three, I do feel that Harmon's tips do me some good.

The hat isn't bad, it's the accent that gets me. :P

And of the 3 it's Harmon I dislike the least.

• SPY VIP

It really would be great if there was something like this that could be used at home that would actually translate to improvement on the course.

Other than buying the Golf Galaxy-type launch monitor or trac man.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm not a huge fan of any of the big guys: Leadbetter, Haney, Harmon, etc. I just am not a huge fan of all of the things they teach. Just looking at their Golf Digest tips, they suggest some things that I would never tell a golfer to do, ever.

Give some examples of what you are talking about if you would

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Give some examples of what you are talking about if you would

It's gonna take me some time to find a bunch, but here is the first, courtesy of Butch Harmon and Golf Digest: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-02/nick_watney_power

I actually agree with Harmon on most things, but the movement of the right knee on the backswing is not one of them, so here you go.

1) (And by number 1 I mean the #1 in the article) Not terrible advice, a lot of people swing the club too flat, I'll give him that one.

2)Just look at the title of #2! Quote from the article: "It's true, you always want your body weight moving in the same direction the club is moving, but your weight needs to stay between your feet for efficient power. If you sway too far to the right, it becomes hard to stay in balance and shift back to the left." This is all true, but the way he applies it is terrible. To stop yourself from shifting too far to the back foot keeping the knee flex does nothing. If you want to keep your wight centered keeping the knee straight is a much better option, and it allows you to turn your hips more easily. Then we go to number 3, which is proof for #2...

3) Yes, you want to shift to your left side when you hit the ball. It is something most golfers don't do, and it leads to going over the top and also chunking the ball. But what do you think is easier to set up a good shift towards the target: Bracing over you left leg and "moving your weight in the direction of the club" on the backswing, or keeping your weight centered by straightening (not locking, just straighter than at address) the left knee and making sure your hips don't sway? Me and Butch agree on what should happen (keeping the weight centered, pushing towards the target) but IMO he is wrong on how to get there.

Here is another Harmon article: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/mental-game/harmon_gd0711

The thing is, he isn't giving bad advice, but I would bet you anything that I can find 10 times more people than overswing than those that underswing. You give this advice to someone who goes past parallel and they are going even more past parallel.

And here is another: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2008-10/harmon_gd0810

Quoted: "If you slide your hips aggressively toward the target to start the downswing, the club tends to drop too far to the inside. You've heard tour players refer to this as "getting stuck.""

What causes a slice? An over the top move. And how many people in the world slice the ball? 97%! And what causes and over the top move? Keeping the weight on the back foot through the golf swing! You tell all of those people that an aggressive hip slide it bad, that it will make them get "Stuck" and you've got 97% of golfers hanging back at impact and throwing the club more over the top, and slicing it even worse!

Now what I consider GREAT advice from Mr. Harmon: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/swing-sequences/2007-07/butchharmon_0707

His short game tips are also pretty good.

I wouldn't want a lesson from Leadbetter in person, much less a video game.

Amen.

I have a Wii, and I don't think the driving range "game" in the Wii Fit is all that great. I have bigger feet, and I don't like the feeling of my toes hanging off the edge of the board. Speaking of the board, it's too narrow for my stance- not much, but enough to make me uncomfortable. If they had a mat (think "Dance Dance Revolution") instead of the board, maybe. Replace the board with a mat and replace Leadbetter with anyone else (Jeff Ritter comes to mind) and I'm in.

Archived