Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Courses in Outer Banks, NC area

RingerMay

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old question, but since you didn't get any feedback, I hope this helps.

My wife, brothers, and I played Sea Scape Golf Links yesterday. It was enjoyable to be able to play golf on vacation, but the course is not a resort style course. It struck me as a place for people to get out and play without being too horribly challenged.

The grass seemed very dry, which to me is surprising considering it is only May. I'm not from the area, so I'm not sure the typical spring climate. I'm not used to courses drying out till July or August under the intense heat.

The greens were nice to play as they seemed to hold any approach shot that hit the green, but gave you some minuscule difficulty in reading the subtle breaks as well as the speed. They aren't the most challenging greens, but it fit what we were looking for.

There are no ocean views on the course which was kind of a bummer. The overall views weren't that great as houses lined most holes. The routing of the course wasn't inspiring either. 4 holes out, 5 holes in for the front 9 and on the other side of the clubhouse, the same thing for the back 9.

It is a fun course to play considering we are on a family vacation, not a golf vacation. We didn't play all that well, but still walked away happy with our scores.

I would recommend the course if you want to play a quick round of golf while on vacation with the family, but if you want a course for a golf vacation, find something else.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Well don't mind if I do. I'll pile on to this older thread as well. Heading down there in a few weeks and hope to get a round in while I'm down there.

Last time I was down at OBX, Sea Scape had 9 of the holes closed and massive waits to get tee times so thanks to palvord for giving me a glimpse.

During that trip, I played Kilmarnic which was a little bit inland from the banks. I don't really remember the course besides the fact that it was hot, nice, in marsh/swampland, and I blew up on 17&18. I would play there again but like as much variety as possible so I'm open to suggestion.

More than anything, I'd like to tee it up with some local spies during that trip and put faces to usernames. Anybody live close enough to make that happen? I can't commit to a tee time yet but would like to get the discussion started.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

If my family heads back to the OBX next year, I would be up for joining a MGS gathering.

The other place we played was The Currituck Club. I'll add a review on that course probably tomorrow as it was slightly more interesting and challenging than Sea Scapes and would like to give it the due it deserves.

I played Nags Head Golf Links and The Pointe down there about 16 years ago. Both were decent, but not terribly memorable.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I have a timeshare at SeaScape, so I play it quite a bit. Your description is pretty apt. We've had a lousy winter around here, so I'm not surprised that it's still not looking all that great. My week is in April, and it's usually just barely playable. We inherited the timeshare; I'd never have paid for it myself.

Kilmarlic is a pretty nice course. I've only played it once. I'd love to have another crack at it. I really don't remember much about it.

The Pointe is a great course to play when you're not playing well. It's fairly easy, but with well maintained greens that are not difficult to putt. The Carolina Club (a little farther west on 158/168) is a pretty good test.

I haven't played Currituck Club in ages, but I remember it as being a pretty nice course.

All OBX courses are horribly overpriced in the summer. The Pointe and Carolina Club have decent weekday afternoon rates.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

All OBX courses are horribly overpriced in the summer. The Pointe and Carolina Club have decent weekday afternoon rates.

Shew wee. You were not kidding. I don't remember Kilmarnic being that expensive...but I didn't have kids at the time so it probably didn't strike me as bad. The rest of the courses are pretty steep too but I guess that comes with the territory in a supply/demand locale.

Carolina Club seems the most reasonably priced, and I wanted to try that track for the challenge you mentioned, but it's about a 45 minute drive from where we're staying. Not so bad if I'm home but that's a long way when you're on vacation. I seriously doubt SWMBO will give me a pass for that long of a day.

Sea Scapes is the best location but incredibly steep for being in the condition you all are mentioning.

Anybody know anything about Nags Head Golf Links? There's no pictures or scorecard on the website and the Instagram is devoted to wedding photos. We're staying in Nags Head so the commute would be short and the price is just as gouging as all the rest.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Anybody know anything about Nags Head Golf Links? There's no pictures or scorecard on the website and the Instagram is devoted to wedding photos. We're staying in Nags Head so the commute would be short and the price is just as gouging as all the rest.

My dad and I played it about 15-ish years ago. I thought it was a decent layout and in fairly good condition. Nothing terribly memorable about it other than I birdied the 3rd (par 3) and my wife caught it on video while she was on the deck of the house we rented (we were staying in a house just across the highway from that green).

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I know this is super late, but I did want to get this up here for anyone traveling to the OBX area.

For the Currituck Club, I have had multiple drafts about this course and have scrapped them all for one reason or another.  When I initially thought about how I wanted this review to be, I thought it would be longer and more detailed.  The more times I went to the draft, the more I realized that I had less and less to say.

I guess that sums up the course for me.  It was nice while we were there, but there isn't much about the course that sticks with me.  The most interesting hole on the course for me was #9.  It is an uphill, 350 yard par 4.  The green has a false front which makes you think about your putts before you hit your drive.

Other than that, there wasn't a single hole that really stands out to me as memorable or challenging, including the two holes that ran along the Currituck Sound.  The greens were in great shape and did have some slight undulations that asked you to take a little extra time in reading your line.  

When we were teeing off on the fist hole, a member told us about the rough winter and how that caused the brown throughout the fairways as mentioned by HardcoreLooper above, and what we experienced at Sea Scape. 

Overall, it was an ok golf course.  And that brings me to the cost.  The only reason we ended up there was finding a hot deal on GolfNow. The normal $78 fee for the time of day that we played is not worth it for that course.  I have been fortunate enough to play much more memorable and challenging courses for less money.  The only way I would play The Currituck Club again would be if I found another hot deal.

Archived