Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Survey from ESPN about black athletes, pretty sad who's left off

mrsmith123

I read this morning and article by Michael Wilbon (one of my favorite sports writers). Tiger Woods was left off of a survey for "Greatest Black Athletes", this is a travesty. Read it if you have 10 minutes:

https://theundefeated.com/features/50-greatest-black-athletes-not-including-tiger-woods-oversight-injustice/

This shows you how much people think that the personal life of Tiger and the sports life of Tiger are tied together essentially. Pretty sad.... regardless of his personal life choices, you can't discard his achievements and impact for golf (and sports in general). He is clearly one of the top Best 50 black athletes ever.

Sent from my LGLS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Honestly that list is just wrong if Tiger isnt on there. He is arguably the greatest ever.  You have Simone Biles in the top 10 (which she deserves because shes unreal at what she does) but I would put her on the same level as Tiger on what they did to their sport.  When Tiger played, everyone else played for #2

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

maybe it's because they don't consider him 'black'......remember his father was African-American/Native American and his mother is Thai/Dutch

But yes, I agree, it would be a HUGE oversight

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I'm not a Tiger "homer", but not including him on that list is just nuts!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Perhaps, those surveyed see golf as a game and not a sport and do not consider golfers to be athletes.    However, such may be the very reason that Tiger should be on the list because he transitioned golf from a game to a sport making athletic ability and conditioning relevant.

The list had several egregious omissions, not just Tiger.  Then again, it is the Undefeated and ESPN.  Both of which have had any number of issues over the past half-decade.

I wouldn't be surprised if the omissions weren't purposeful to generate attention, conversation and vitriol.  No press is bad press, right?!?!?

maybe it's because they don't consider him 'black'......remember his father was African-American/Native American and his mother is Thai/Dutch

He's Asian when it's convenient for them, and he's black when it's convenient and if they want to promote diversity and interracial articles he'll be in it too. Soon they'll be going after Tiger for performance enhancing drugs rumor.

Look what they did to Lance Armstrong, he made everybody rich promoted the sport worldwide, when he's done, they went after him.

The list included Pele and Roberto Clemente.  Couldn't the same argument be made that they shouldn't be considered "black".  Pele is Brazilian and Clemente was Puerto Rican.

He's Asian when it's convenient for them, and he's black when it's convenient and if they want to promote diversity and interracial articles he'll be in it too. Soon they'll be going after Tiger for performance enhancing drugs rumor.

Look what they did to Lance Armstrong, he made everybody rich promoted the sport worldwide, when he's done, they went after him.

Anyway, I agree with Rusty.  Tiger and Company have always fallen into whatever category best suited the situation.

Ultimately, why do we need lists. You can't compare one generation to the next and be fair, as technology and training change. Compare clubs that were used only 15 years ago to today. Could Rory hit a 350yd drive with the technology then? Maybe... I like to look at the future, while admiring the accomplishments of the past. Not trying to qualify with a list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

11 NBA titles, 2 NCAA titles, Olympic Gold, 5 NBA MVP's, first African-American head coach in any major sport (2 titles as player-coach, BTW), author and civil rights pioneer -- Bill Russell was only #36???

Survey are mostly about the here and now or most recent, and another poster I think is correct - it's to spark debate, discussion and attention for ESPN.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The list had several egregious omissions, not just Tiger.  Then again, it is the Undefeated and ESPN.  Both of which have had any number of issues over the past half-decade.

I wouldn't be surprised if the omissions weren't purposeful to generate attention, conversation and vitriol.  No press is bad press, right?!?!?

Remember, this is a survey.  If you want to blame anyone, blame the folks who TOOK the survey, not the people who published the results.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Remember, this is a survey.  If you want to blame anyone, blame the folks who TOOK the survey, not the people who published the results.  

Not necessarily!  Surveys can easily be manipulated to a desired result in an effort to cater to a selective audience and often are.

Cable news has built a cottage industry from the practice.

Archived