Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Need advice when to buy

Okay all, I'm new here so be nice please :)

I played golf back in school but work got in the way the past decade or so. I've now got the bug again and would like to work the handicap down to low single digits. I currently play an eight year old driver and a 2 iron for anything over 205 yards. At what point in the next few years should I look to upgrade my driver and work in a 3 wood? My handicap is a very inconsistent 10 so every hole is an adventure right now. 

I'm also fairly practical and have never bought brand new clubs the year they come out so keep that in mind. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Driver: Cobra F7+ - 3W: Cobra F7 - 2i: Cobra King Utility Iron - 3-PW: Mizuno MP 59 - 52/56/60: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 - Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 2.0

Whenever you test current releases drivers and they beat your current. For the 3w I would test 3&4 woods and find something you like and works for you and you feel like you need it in the bag

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I played golf back in school but work got in the way the past decade or so. I've now got the bug again and would like to work the handicap down to low single digits. I currently play an eight year old driver and a 2 iron for anything over 205 yards. At what point in the next few years should I look to upgrade my driver and work in a 3 wood? My handicap is a very inconsistent 10 so every hole is an adventure right now. 

I'm also fairly practical and have never bought brand new clubs the year they come out so keep that in mind. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I doubt there are many here in the forum willing to give advice. So I'll offer what I think might be practical based on your post.

I'm assuming you're not a spring chicken since you haven't played in the last decade or so. 10 to 20 years? I don't think you need to wait a couple of years to consider upgrading some. Like you I don't buy all the hype-claims the mfg's make year after year. If all the increased yardage they claim were true we'd all be driving the ball 400 yards by now.

Here's an example of a recent purchase or two I've made. The regulars in the forum have heard all this before. So bear with me....

This past spring I bought a brand new Cobra Fly-Z+ for about $90 bucks from an ebay seller. Beautiful driver. This particular driver was the MGS #3 Most Wanted driver in 2015. When this driver came out it was probably about $400. Unfortunately the driver didn't work out for me and my game. Since 2014 I've been playing a TM SLDR 460 with great success. Distance and accuracy. I finally decided to see if I could find another identical SLDR. And I did. Again... brand new for just under $90. My thinking is that since I've pounded 1000's of shots with this driver one day it might crack or something. Therefore, I now have a replacement just in case. As far as I'm concerned; who needs the latest and greatest as I already have the greatest. For me that is.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It isn't about new or old. Some people like the latest equipment in their bag while others find that older equipment works just as well.

Find the clubs that let you consistently hi particular distances. You said you hit 2 iron 205 but never mentioned driver distance. Depending on the gap between those two clubs you may need 0, 1, or more clubs to fill the gap.

Lots of places to get used clubs; Taylormade and call away have pre owned sites, global or 3 balls has been good for me, budget golf, or local golf stores.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would certainly think you could find a longer more forgiving driver than your current Callaway (though that is just a guess) using pretty much anything within the past 2-3 years. The biggest change I expect you'll run into is the variety of shafts available and adjustable clubs. If I were you, I'd use my personal preferences and knowledge of my own game to select a suitable and reasonably inexpensive driver off eBay along with a couple shafts to try out. Unless the grooves on your irons and wedges are considerably worn, I don't really see a reason to change them for a while.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I would certainly think you could find a longer more forgiving driver than your current Callaway (though that is just a guess) using pretty much anything within the past 2-3 years. The biggest change I expect you'll run into is the variety of shafts available and adjustable clubs. If I were you, I'd use my personal preferences and knowledge of my own game to select a suitable and reasonably inexpensive driver off eBay along with a couple shafts to try out. Unless the grooves on your irons and wedges are considerably worn, I don't really see a reason to change them for a while.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. Leaning towards a used M1 and will try work in a 3 wood over time

Driver: Cobra F7+ - 3W: Cobra F7 - 2i: Cobra King Utility Iron - 3-PW: Mizuno MP 59 - 52/56/60: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 - Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 2.0

I would try out all the current stuff out there and see if you are getting what you want out of the clubs. If you are having issues with the driver, get fitted. Most of the time it's a shaft that doesn't fit your swing or a driver head that isn't as forging as you want. Same for hybrids and fairway woods. Irons, make sure you have the gapping you want as well as the forgiveness you need to drop your HC down. Hard to demo older equipment but you can do the initial research and see if you can rent clubs, like globalgolf's program so you can try it before buying it. Ask lots of questions here and we'll do our best to steer you in the right direction...

Best of luck,

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I have always purchased used clubs and have started my shopping in the bargain center of the Golf Galaxy or the like. Fortunately, the stores I visit have a launch monitor and hitting bays. I would take a Saturday or two to check out how you like hitting the older/used drivers compared to your current setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Ideally you would ask your teacher or go to a knowledgeable fitter.

But I know not everyone would ask so .... at 8 years old you should be able to find a solid upgrade - if you know your swing speed I would suggest going to the most wanted driver archive and look at what drivers did well in your category. You should be able to get something there st a reasonable price.

I'd beware of the M1. If you're inconsistent it did not have a reputation for forgiveness.

Fairway wood wise I'd look at a tweener - as others have suggested. I game the SLDR HL and love the thing - you could find that for a song.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ideally you would ask your teacher or go to a knowledgeable fitter.

But I know not everyone would ask so .... at 8 years old you should be able to find a solid upgrade - if you know your swing speed I would suggest going to the most wanted driver archive and look at what drivers did well in your category. You should be able to get something there st a reasonable price.

I'd beware of the M1. If you're inconsistent it did not have a reputation for forgiveness.

Fairway wood wise I'd look at a tweener - as others have suggested. I game the SLDR HL and love the thing - you could find that for a song.

This is sound advice, but instead of buying new woods, I just reshafted mine and got better results. I would also add you may want to look at the wood first if you could find something like the frankenwood I have. It is the Callaway 3 deep so it it a 3 wood but I hit it a lot like my driver. I am not sure they still make this club now but I love it.  

Clubs

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Subzero, HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue Subzero 15 degree, HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Diving Iron:  :callaway-small: Apex UT 18 degree

Irons: :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Pro 4-AW

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 4 X Grind 54 and 58

Putter: :odyssey-small: Oworks 330M Black

Golf equipment is like PC parts... new stuff coming out every year... you'll never have the newest of all.

But you can have the best for you.

So go to a fitter, compare the new stuff with your 8 year old driver and 2 iron and you can decide whether an upgrade is worth it or not.

Maybe you'll gain distance with a new driver, maybe a new 3i will be longer than your current 2i, etc...

Good luck!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Any of the big name gear that's 2-3 years old will rock.

eBay will get you anything!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I would totally bring your current sticks to a fitter and start there. An 8 year old driver head is probably nearing the end of it's "full power" lifecycle (depending on usage) and spending $50 with a fitter will show you what shafts/heads/grip combos may work best for you. Take your fitting information and go shopping online. I've seen a to of great recommendations on sites, so start with those and see what you can find.

Generally, a gently used current year driver will run about 10-30% off of retail. You can go a generation older if needed to save even more. Concentrate on finding one with a matching shaft to the specs that you got from the fitter - look up the qualities of the shaft you were fitted to, then find "that year's" model that matches. That can gain you almost as much performance wise, but end up costing a fraction of the cost of a new one. For example, I was able to pick up a Wilson FG Tour F5 driver with an Aldila Rogue Black 95msi X-Stiff shaft for $75. I got a backup driver head and the shaft with adapter for less than a shop wanted for the shaft alone. The best part, it was the shaft I was fitted for when I went in and hit balls. I gained about 15 yards with that change alone.

Good luck!

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

Lots of great second hand club sites so you can definitely upgrade your current sticks without breaking the bank. 8 year old woods are definitely ready for retirement. They've earned it!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 2 months later...

I doubt there are many here in the forum willing to give advice. So I'll offer what I think might be practical based on your post.

I'm assuming you're not a spring chicken since you haven't played in the last decade or so. 10 to 20 years? I don't think you need to wait a couple of years to consider upgrading some. Like you I don't buy all the hype-claims the mfg's make year after year. If all the increased yardage they claim were true we'd all be driving the ball 400 yards by now.

Here's an example of a recent purchase or two I've made. The regulars in the forum have heard all this before. So bear with me....

This past spring I bought a brand new Cobra Fly-Z+ for about $90 bucks from an ebay seller. Beautiful driver. This particular driver was the MGS #3 Most Wanted driver in 2015. When this driver came out it was probably about $400. Unfortunately the driver didn't work out for me and my game. Since 2014 I've been playing a TM SLDR 460 with great success. Distance and accuracy. I finally decided to see if I could find another identical SLDR. And I did. Again... brand new for just under $90. My thinking is that since I've pounded 1000's of shots with this driver one day it might crack or something. Therefore, I now have a replacement just in case. As far as I'm concerned; who needs the latest and greatest as I already have the greatest. For me that is.

I'm in agreement. With more than 10 years since an equipment upgrade there's no reason why going out and finding some new old stock or finding a good used driver/3-wood combo would be a bad decision.

Because of the price increases that major mfg's have put on their equipment, the used club market has become a much more viable option and now companies like 2nd swing sell generally good used equipment for a significant reduction over the cost of new and will even offer fittings with purchases, and 30 day no risk trials. All great options for the financially conscious golfer.

Good luck!

Archived