Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Poor Mans' R11

bogey1300

Recently I decided that I needed to make a change in my life, more so, my golf bag. I want a new driver. I love my current driver (Cleveland HiBore). It's old and loyal, it puts the ball out there, most the time. After going to my local golf shop many times and looking at the R11's, I started wanting one. Blame it on the new white paint or the new driver smell, I wanted it. One issue, I am a Substitue Teacher and the income is low, and my allowance from the wife is even lower. So I needed to find a solution for me to get a new driver. After a little bit of thinking I came up with an idea, I was going to give my current driver a face lift. I am going to paint the HiBore white, this will give me that "new driver" feeling, but at a fraction of the cost. Then I will paintfill all the lines with a purple and yellow scheme for my alma mater, the University of Northern Iowa. Since this is the first time I have ever modified a club, I decided that I will let you readers come along with me on my journey. I will give everyone the play by play with pics as the story unfolds.

Once I figure out how to get pictures from camrea to this forum I will get to the details. For now, keep watching for future posts...

Note to readers, I am 4 days into the Journey, once I get time, I will catch everyone up on how this week has been...

Hey, welcome to the board... looking forward to the pics...

When you post a reply, click on "use full editor" under the quick reply box.

from there look under the message and there should be a black box that says "Click to attach files" - click it and follow the directions...

you should be good to go from there...

or if that fails, you could use an outside photo hosting site like photobucket...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Hey, welcome to the board... looking forward to the pics...

When you post a reply, click on "use full editor" under the quick reply box.

from there look under the message and there should be a black box that says "Click to attach files" - click it and follow the directions...

you should be good to go from there...

or if that fails, you could use an outside photo hosting site like photobucket...

Thanks for the tips, I will have sit and fiddle with it. I will put up pics and updates after my night class!

Finally I have a chance to sit down and share my journey. It has been a long week without my driver but, it will be all worth it.

Sunday- I was out of town and I wanted to start working on my driver the next day. So I had my brother take my driver to the local pro shop. I wanted them to take the shaft off because I didn't feel comfortable doing this part.

Monday- They didn't have the head of yet, they told me to come back later.

Since I couldn't get my driver right away I went to pick up the other supplies for the project. Masking tape $2, electrical tape $3, acrylic paint $6, and paint thinner $5. So $16 total. After I got the driver back I snapped some before pictures:

HiBore_1.JPG

HiBore_2.jpg

HiBore_3.jpg Thursday-Big day has arrived. I finally had a day off to work. I went to a school and got to work. I first bead blasted everything of the head. The black came off very simple with the beads, it was a lot of fun. Here a few pictures with all the black off the club:

Hibore_6.JPG

Hibore_5.JPG

Since I got carried away with the bead blasting I had to re-polish the underside of the club. This took a great deal of sanding with wet 800 grit sand paper. Not even P90X can bring the pain like this brought. After an hour of sanding I had it looking and feeling smooth. Then I took a disc grinder with a buffing pad, adding some rubbing solution and buffed the bottom to a nice shine. Here is a picture afterwards:

HiBore_4.JPG

Now I was ready to make the magic happen. I taped off the bottom of the club with masking tape. I used the electrical tape to give me the lines, this elasticity of this tape made it easy to follow the existing lines as a guide. I then took the club to get powder coated. Simple process of spraying powder onto the top of the club head. The hardest part was to take the tape off without messing up the coating. It took me two tries to get it right. I then put the club into the hot box for 45 mins and prayed it would look right. 45 mins later I opened up the door and this is how it turned out:

Hibore_7.JPG

Hibore_8.JPG

Sorry for not taking more, I was in a rush to get the shaft on so I could use it. It will be a few days before I get the finished product up. I am excited to see what it will look like in the end

Was that spot at the top of the hosel supposed to be there? And I think I'd have went with matte instead of gloss. Looks great, but I can see the gloss being a problem on sunny days.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I would have to say you did an awesome job!! I just wish that we all had the ability to use everything you did. My supertri is starting to look a little rough.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I just got a skymark on my driver today :(

If I had your skills, I would repair it and paint it white!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Thats awesome... Kinda cool that you have the equipment to do it the right way... I was a little wary to see how it would turn with just a rattle can. The way you are doing should be perfect. I cant wait ti see the finished product...

If it all works out don't be surprised if people start asking for you to do theirs...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Rookieblue- That spot came from trying to take the tape off and i touched it with the tape. I was already on my second attempt so it didn't bother me. Also I didn't realize I grab the gloss paint. However I held it outside, and it wasn't to bad. I will give an update later.

Skihippy- I had all intentions to take tons of pics, but as I was in the process, I got caught up and only took a few. Sorry.

Stevenhw- I don't know if I have skills yet... we will see after I'm done.

Mudfish- I am very fortunate to sub and a school with a advanced shop as that. More pics will be up early next week.

Cool, I'm a teacher too...How is the job market in your area? Here in NY there are tons of perspective teachers and most schools are laying off teachers.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

That's looking great, sweet work.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Cool, I'm a teacher too...How is the job market in your area? Here in NY there are tons of perspective teachers and most schools are laying off teachers.

The market is brutal in our area in IA. Many schools are consolidating and and jobs that open, the school absorb it into their system. rough.

Archived