Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Original Aldila NVS

Hoganman1

This was my favorite shaft for a number of years. It was the stock shaft in Callaway's FT-1 almost 20 years ago. As I traded up to newer models I used the after market version. I don't know why I got away from it other than the fact that newer shafts were offered in the drivers I bought. Recently, I bought a Taylormade M6, but didn't particularly like the Atmos shaft. On a lark, I found my old NVS in the garage, added a TM adapter and it's really performing well. Who knows if it will last but for now, it's working. Is anyone else still using this shaft or any other old favorite from decades ago?

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Mine doesn't quite go back as far as the NVS, but I think it is a descendant from the NVS.  I have an Aldila RIP Alpha (red eyes) in my G400 and I absolutely love it.  I have considered seeing if I can find it and have them built for other clubs in the line up.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

The NVS shared the same bend profile as the original Diamana Blue. The blue had a different balance point that was slightly higher which a lot of people preferred the balance/feel of but the NVS was solid. 

My bag is a revolving door!

NVS was definitely a friendlier version of the NV Green. As far as lower priced shafts go, in 2005 it was a great bridge to offering custom shaft options for players who weren’t swinging 110mph and didn’t want to spend a ton.

My OG shaft was and always will be the Grafalloy ProLite 35. I have one that I would play in a Titleist 913 D3 head every so often.

Dollar for dollar that was the best shaft for the money that was ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have to say that I don’t think older shafts are obsolete. I currently game an old Graphite Design G-series in my driver, a discontinued Axivcore fairway wood shaft, an Aldila NV105 shaft in my utility iron, and an Aldila Phenom in my hybrid. They’re all giving me great numbers and I particularly love the feel of the NV105. 

• Driver: Mizuno ST200 10.5 w/ Nippon Regio Formula MB+ 65X (backup is a Wishon 919 F/D mini driver w/ UST V2 Black 6F5)
  • Fairway Wood: Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18.5* w/ UST V2 Black 7F5
  • 4 Hybrid: Callaway X2 Hot Pro 23* w/ Modus 125X (soft stepped)
  • Irons: 5-PW Maltby TE Forged w/ Modus 125X (soft stepped)
  • Wedge: 52* and 58* Maltby TSW Forged w/ Modus 125X (soft stepped) and DG Wedge Flex
  • Putter: Tommy Armour Impact 3 CB
  • Bag: Shapland Stand Bag

I personally loved the old Pro Launch 65 Gold in stiff. Now I have gotten too old to swing them but I did find out the other day a guy here has them in Senior flex. But the old NVS is also a great shaft. I had one in a Hogan CS-5 driver and have several Hogan CS Hybrids with that in Hybrid form shaft in them. Also had the NVS 65 in a Wishon driver that hit real good

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

... I was lucky enough to play a round of golf with John Oldenburg, the designer of the NV and NVS as well as many other shafts before leaving Aldila. I was playing the NV Xtreme at the time, basically a tour version of the NV, and John said that if the original NV or NVS fit your swing with great numbers, you were not going to find a better shaft. He said he was tweaking the designs for those that were just a near fit or didn't fit into the originals. But the Micro Laminate Technology allowing a constant taper was a breakthrough in shaft design and as a smooth swinger I was finally able to play a stiff tipped shaft without it feeling too boardy. Quite a few Pros were still using the NV just a few years ago. And Aldila did some more tweaking to the NV design adding some other features, but it was still basically the NV. Nick Price made a pretty good living using the NVS in his driver and fw woods. 

... So in the immortal almost words of Johnnie Cochran "If it fits, you must not quit." 😉

793037561_xtreme2.thumb.JPG.faa62435d640fb31248baebd1636ec60.JPG
xtreme.thumb.JPG.022d08d3d0864d675b6ae0f4bbb8eec9.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 8:21 AM, Hoganman1 said:

This was my favorite shaft for a number of years. It was the stock shaft in Callaway's FT-1 almost 20 years ago. As I traded up to newer models I used the after market version. I don't know why I got away from it other than the fact that newer shafts were offered in the drivers I bought. Recently, I bought a Taylormade M6, but didn't particularly like the Atmos shaft. On a lark, I found my old NVS in the garage, added a TM adapter and it's really performing well. Who knows if it will last but for now, it's working. Is anyone else still using this shaft or any other old favorite from decades ago?

I played the original Aldila NV in my fairway for a long time and always enjoyed it. I also liked the original Grafalloy Blue, and the Aldila RIP Alpha for my driver. Curious to see what new tech can do for me though.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I’m using that shaft with an old Titleist 983K and I hit BOMBS. In the last few years I’ve had the 2016 M2, M3, 410 LST, F9, and most recently Mavrik sub zero with a tour issue Tour AD IZ TX. That old 983K with that old NVS has pushed all of them out of the bag. I left the $14.99 sticker on it and rub it in the face of my Sunday group every week. Really want to get it on a GC Quad and see why it’s such a monster

2016 Taylormade M2

Adams Speedline Super S VST 3 wood

King Utility 19 degree

Black King Forged Tec 4-G

Vokey SM6 56, 60

Taylormade Tour Spider Black Flat Cat Solution Grip

Bridgestone Tour B X