Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Demo Day Fittings

Tom the Golf Nut

Has anyone gone to a Demo day and have a manufactures rep give you a bad fitting?

I have been fitted twice two years ago, and based on the launch monitor data I was fit for two options. Same specs different brands. You know when you think you need something and the data proves you wrong! Well, I went for a 11 degrees, soft regular flex,  Ping G400 which was one of the recommended configurations. I hit the heck out of it. Driver distance went from 220 to 250 and a fairway finder. 

I went to my clubs demo day last week. I took a driver out of a company's  bag that somewhat matched what I was fitted for just to try different brands.  After a swing or two the rep said what club are you hitting? I showed him and he said that was not right for me. He put me in a 9 degree stiff. I hit two balls and it obviously wasnt right. Ball flight was low and short. Then he proceeded to tell me that was better for me. This happened twice by different companies. Then I went to one that brought their own track man.  Guess what, I was back to my original fitting recommendation from two years ago.

How can well known golf companies have reps at demo days that dont know what they are doing? Who knows how many people that day were fitted incorrectly and wasted money on equipment that were not right for them.  A shout out to Titleist  for bringing a track man. 

Anyone else run into this situation?

Should the manufacturers be told about the reps?

Is there some type of qualification that the reps go through to get the job in the first place?

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I’ve had good and bad fitting from the same brand with different people trained at the same place by the same people. 

Depending on the brand the demo day reps aren’t necessarily trained by the company they represent and maybe be in the learning process of fittings. Some may have understanding of launch monitor data but limited to no understand of the swing and seeing how it loads. Many of the demo day reps are just working part time. 

It’s not really isolated to golf. There are good car salesman and bad salesman at the same dealerships, there knowledgeable sales reps and bad sales reps at electronic stores.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I also feel like the demo day reps are working to move product - going to a independent club fitter that doesn't care which product you purchase has been, for me, game changing....

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

They get commissions on moving product. I have a buddy who does demo fittings. Really not any different than someone pushing a vaccum or blender at Costco. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Yes,  the fitter at a demo day is a hit or miss proposition.   Use it as an opportunity to do your own testing and see how the various shafts and clubs work for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

While they may be there for you to perform basic driver adjustments, I really don't think there's too much of a vested interest there.  There's usually too many other people to deal with, and it just turns into a guessing game for them and they start throwing different options at you to try.  If you can book a fitting session with them individually though, it may be different, as they can take the time to view and analyze the data that they are gathering.  Most of them likely just go through a training session that the manufacturer puts them through, so it's not  like they have an engineering background or anything.  They're there to sell the clubs.  The rep that I dealt with was fantastic though, and never rushed or pressured me into doing anything that I didn't want to do.  It's great when you find one that has playing experience as a pro and or/they truly have a passion for the game and what they do.

Agree - it really depends on who the fitter is and how invested they actually are.  Most of the time, they are traveling all around the state for their given territory and if they don't get the feeling it could lead to a sale, they are tuned out within 5-10 minutes.  You get the same thing at box store fittings. 

I feel like if given the chance I could do a mediocre club fitting of myself, but I would obviously need access to the shaft and clubhead options.  Hell, I would just about pay for them to allow that as sometimes I feel like I am being a nuisance by asking for a different shaft/head or taking up too much time.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"