Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Overlength Driver Build - Take Two

RI_Redneck

About a year ago, I built an overlength driver using a Cobra F7 head and an Aldila Copper Mamba 70X. I built it at 47.5 and used the lightest weights I could get (2g). I played it for a few months and even though I had some great drives with it, the balance of the club never seemed to suit me. I ended up taking it down to my regular 44.5" length in the end and reweighting the head to feel right. Still a great driver that I keep in one of my playing bags. 

After reading/posting in some recent overlength driver threads and watching the "Bryson affect", I decided I wanted to give it another go. This time I'm using a Cobra Speedzone head and a Project-X HZRDUS Yellow 60X. The Speedzone head with adapter and no weights came in at 188 change (2 weight ports) which is the same as the F7 (three weight ports), so the 1 less weight port will allow me to go a shade lighter in headweight with the build. 

I did some preliminary testing once my bench was usable. I prepped the tip and trimmed the b u t t to give me 47.5 with the grip. I installed a Master Grip Classic Wrap Midsize (61g) using air and painters tape, then shimmed the head on with fishing line so that it was tight in the playing position. I only have the 6g and 18g weights that came with the driver at the moment, so I removed one of the screws from the weights to see what they weighed. It came in at 2g, so I started with only a screw in each port because I think that's as low as I will be able to go if I modify the weights I have coming. My ST180 Gamer driver is 44.5", 337.2g total weight, D6 with an MOI of 3025.9. The Speedzone with just screws in the ports @ 47.5" was 319.6g total weight, D1.5 (HZRDUS Yellow CB shaft) with an MOI of 3095.1. When waggled it felt a bit light, so I decided to see what I got with the 6g and a screw to mirror the two 4g weights I have coming. This brought the total weight up to 323.5, SW to D5 and the MOI to 3131.5. 

I installed the adapter this morning and while it was curing, I tested my other gamer drivers to get a comparison of MOI with the lot. The results are:

ST180 / Kai'Li 70S @ 44.5" D6 - 3025.9

ST190 / OG WB 73S  @ 44.5 D6 - 3044.2

LTD / Hzrdus Blk 7S @ 44.5" D6 - 3072.4

Now, I hit all of these drivers really well, so apparently, the variance in MOI doesn't affect me that much. Who knew?

Also during curing, I removed the MG Classic Wrap Midsize and installed an MG Classic Wrap Std w/ buildup tape. When the adapter had cured, I put the shaft in the head with only the 2 screws (4g total). This brought the total weight of the driver to 310g @ 47.5, gave me a D5 SW and an MOI of 3107. Waggling it, the headweight feels better than it did with the midsize grip. Considering the MOI is not much higher than my gamers, this might just work. I will try to get out an hit some balls as soon as I am out of COVID quarantine and I catch a warm day.

BT

SZ HRDUS Yellow Driver.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got out last Thursday afternoon for a cool January round at Triggs Memorial in Providence. I took the new 47.5" Speedzone build and my ST180 which I have been using most of this year. I started the front 9 with only the screws in the Speedzone head (192g head weight - D5) to see how it would compare. Not many folks on the course, so I was able to hit both drivers off all of the par 4s & 5s. Carry was longer with the long driver and end results seemed to be around 15 yds longer depending on fairway contour. Flight was beautiful! High (but not too high) and piercing! Working the ball was more difficult, but I chalk that up to just not being used to hitting it. When I got to the back 9, I replaced the screws with the 4g weights I had ordered. This increased head weight by 4g and I could tell the difference immediately. It was definitely MORE heavy feeling, but not TOO heavy. I didn't notice any more distance or level of control, so the jury is still out on what weights are going to work best. Will hopefully hit it some more this week.

BT

Great test and hope you keep at it, great to see the longer shots without being out of control with the longer driver. Look forward to seeing what happens for you once you get a bit more comfortable with it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

There is a range rat at a nearby course who weighs about 145 at 5'6" tall, and he loves his longer drivers. But, he can hit pretty much hit any Driver, left or right handed, to about 3 bills. The longest drives he hits are at 47-48"

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Sorry I've been away for a bit and haven't updated this thread. I didn't want to leave just the screws in the weight pockets, so I had to make a couple of 2g weights out of HDPE because I couldn't find any online. I've recently gotten some free time for range work and one round with my son last Sunday. I still have the Speedzone/HZRDUS Yellow combination at 47.5 and it's actually working pretty well. Even with my stiff joints and the 40-50° temps we are having, I'm getting around 260 carry on well struck drives. I tend to catch one high on the face every now and then which gives a bit less, but accuracy has been pretty good. The swing feel is really pretty close to my other drivers that are at 44.5, but I can still tell I'm swinging something longer. Time will tell if this becomes my gamer for serious play.

BT

• 3 months later...

I have to say sorry to everyone cause I haven't been posting to this thread in a while. I have been putting the 47.5" Cobra SZ / HZRDUS Yellow through the ringer and I have to say, it works great. After getting used to the length, my shot pattern is no worse than any of my regular length drivers and distance is 15-25 yds better. I settled on the original SW and MOI that I mentioned in an earlier post and it is completely comfortable to swing through an entire round. Feel is literally identical to my other drivers if I close my eyes. I did raise the loft up to 9.5 because draws were flying a little lower than I wanted. One other thing that I have noticed is that I have to start my backswing slightly more outside than all my other clubs to get nice straight shots. I think it's because my plane is so much flatter with that length that it makes me come too much from the inside if I start back just like I do with my shorter clubs. Anyway, this build is a definite winner for me.

BT