Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

100,000 Sold...But Have You Ever Used One? (Golf Groove Tools)

• SPY VIP

golf-groover-banner.jpg

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

Golf Groover announces sale of it's 100,000th groove sharpener

Put Some Grooves Back in That 'Ol ButterKnife

Most of us aren't good enough ball strikers to wear a consistent pattern like you see on all the pro's wedges...okok we know you can...but...many golfers can't. So for all the rest of us that use the WHOLE face we say to you, "learn how to get your money's worth out of your wedges....and use all the wedge". Actually we are just kidding, try to become better and make a small pattern.

Well, whether you're a great ball striker or a guy that swings like a righty trying to play lefty...you have all owned an iron or a wedge that has grooves worn down to the point it is better off used as a butterknife then a sandsave weapon...so what do you do with it? Well in the past you took it to the local golf shop an got yourself a crisp $5 bill for trade-in to use towards a shiny new one.

Growing In Popularity

Well the Golf Groover and about 32 other people that have jumped on the "golf club groove sharpening" bandwagon say those days are over. And from the looks of all the options we had sent to us to try they might be right. I never thought that there would be so many garage tinkerers interested in refurbishing a $50 wedge. Well then again, in today's economy anyway to save a buck is understandable. And I really think all the options we tried, actually do work. But how well?

Groove Sharpeners Tested:

golfgroover

1. GolfGroover.com (Cheaper On EBAY)

• Quality = B+

• Did It Work = A-

• Price = C-
  • How Easy = B+

• OVERALL = B

Comments - Like the handle...makes it easier to manage. Great to use even as just a groove cleaner and not a sharpener on the course during play

groove sharpener

2. GrooveSharpener.com (Cheaper On EBAY)

• Quality = C

• Did It Work = B+

• Price = B

• How Easy = B-

• OVERALL = B-

Comments - It worked well...just don;t like the fact it does not have a handle. It can slip and scratch the face of your clubs. You can use tape to cover but just takes longer. Overall though it worked well.

IZZO Groove Sharpener

3. IZZO Groove Sharpenerir?t=golfspy-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000X8T7MG

• Quality = C-

• Did It Work = B+

• Price = A+

• How Easy = B

• OVERALL = B

Comments - This one is the cheapest by a long shot only costs $9.95 compared to $19.95-$29.95 for the others. It worked for us fine but I don't think it will hold up for more then a season or two. But...if you need something unique to get someone for Christmas this might be the one.

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I found a local club maker who will regroove for $10 per club with a complete restoration for $20 more. I would screw it up if I did it myself...

Here is his site. http://www.oughtonsgolf.com/index.htm

He worked on the Honma putter that I posted here somewhere. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I found a local club maker who will regroove for $10 per club with a complete restoration for $20 more. I would screw it up if I did it myself...

Here is his site. http://www.oughtonsgolf.com/index.htm

He worked on the Honma putter that I posted here somewhere. B)

I agree ... I'd rather have a trained professional take care of my re-grooving needs

I would be worried about the grooves becoming non conforming, and loss of headweight.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I bought one from a guy in Wisconsin a few years back. I use it occasionally, but I mainly just use a tee to scrape the dirt out. The problem was that it was supposed to fit inside of a modified golf grip, but it didn't stay put. If that part worked better, I would be more inclined to keep it handy and use it often.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Yeah, I will leave the groove work to the professionals.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I've got the green one and it works alright. If you have grooves that are already too small they just will not work. They would try to remove metal and the tool just is not sharp enough.

For the longest time, I used a piece of a hacksaw blade. Worked fine. I didn't do it on my grooves though. Mine were fine. My friend has a SM Vokey SW that was in dire need of regrooving. I would freshen his grooves once every month or two..

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I have used a really short bristled brush to clean the grooves of my irons out, but I will never regroove a club.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the Izzo Groove Medic for a couple years now but only on the wedges. I change my wedges out every year but I'll practice with my old ones and the Medic really does keep the grooves clean and sharp. I'm happy with the product and will continue to use it.

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

I bought one as I thought it the best way to clean the dirt out fairly easy on the 7-pw clubs the ones I hit down on more where I take mohawk size divots. I like it for that but regrooving that's a whole other animal.You can knock some burs off but truly regrooving needs to be done on a machine in my opinion!

Tim

PS: Oh I bought the second one on the list in case anyone was wondering. it's perfect as it fits in your pocket and it's actually fairly small. for regrooving your hands would get very sore if you were to do a set of wedges too. Basically the top one is a screwdriver tip or the amount there of.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer the tool available at GolfSmith, the Deluxe Scoreline Regrooving tool. I'd tried the Groove Sharpener one, the Golf Groover, the Green Razor Knife junk thing, the one ebay member WildWilly had, and a few others. None of them come close to the Scoreline IMO.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 8 months later...

I would be worried about the grooves becoming non conforming, and loss of headweight.

My sentiments exactly. I used to have a file that a machinist friend of mine made for me but found out years ago that I was grooving the grooves too deep so I cut that out. I prefer to have my redone by someone like Maltby etc especially since the new grove rules. I have played some USGA qualifiers and some mini tour events and plan to do so this year so i cannot afford to be "wrong" for whatever reason

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I use the one from Golfworks / Golf Galaxy. It was $10.00 (free with my reward certificates) and it works great. A tip I learned before I started was to use masking tape on the heel and toe of the face to help protect it from the errant push.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have the green one.......worked great for my old wedges.....but I don't use the old wedges anymore so I have not yet wore out the groove sharpener.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have tried the GrooveSharpener.com and .net version, WildWilly's, the green razorknife junk one, and the Golfsmith Scoreline Deluxe groove tool. The Golfsmith one is, by FAR, the best. It's the most pricey, but it's worth it for the results and how well it works.

And looking back after responding, looks like I said the same thing a while back. My sentiments still hold true, FWIW.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived