Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Starting from scratch.

Was slowly progressing, hitting better and getting to mid 90s with frequency. Second kid and less time in the gym and I’ve spent a month shanking and slicing every iron...starting from scratch with half swings...can’t get past this without the shanks coming back. Please help.

Mavrik Aldia Stiff

Srixon F65 4 wood

Nike VRS 5-PW

Ping Glide 52*

Wilson 56*

Wilson Center Shaft Mallet

Difficult to be certain with only a half swing, but looks like an OTT move with a cupped lead wrist.  I know that move very well.  See your local pro to be certain, but I would definitely recommend spending $27 to get Monte Scheinblum's No Turn Cast video on his website:  rebelliongolf.com.  If you do exactly what he says, it will be the best $27 you ever spent.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My wife, 51, is just starting golf. Any ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Left Handed Hacker using Callaway Epic Flash Driver, 3 Wood and 5 Hybrid; Callaway Steelhead Irons, Ping putter and Callaway Soft Triple Track (or any ball I can find)

Been there.  Had surgery last year and getting back into the game has been slower and more frustrating than expected.  After 4 months of solid practice, starting with setup and half shots I am finally getting back to normal.  Hang in there.  Sounds like you have the motivation/desire to improve.  The right practice, and maybe a couple lessons, will get you there.

Buy some Dr Schools spray the face, figure out where you are hitting it and then try to do the opposite, focus only on face strike.  Sounds super simple but the results will be there. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

It’s a difficult angle to determine much, but to me your posture at setup looks unstable.  It looks like you are reaching too far for the ball and then as a result your weight gets out on your toes. With weight that far forward you are going to need to compensate right from the get go to get back the ball without falling over. 

Film yourself directly down the line from about waist high and it will be easier to see though. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

On 7/11/2021 at 10:54 AM, Kuley6901 said:

My wife, 51, is just starting golf. Any ideas and recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Do not be her teacher!  

I firmly believe that anyone just starting to play, should commit to lessons with a good teaching pro. learning will be quicker and playing will be more fun.  I wish I had done that... would have saved years of bad play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 7/11/2021 at 1:54 PM, Kuley6901 said:

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Do not be her teacher!  

I firmly believe that anyone just starting to play, should commit to lessons with a good teaching pro. learning will be quicker and playing will be more fun.  I wish I had done that... would have saved years of bad play.

Not only will it save years of bad play, having someone else teach your wife will likely save your marriage.  Good luck to you.  I can't get my wife to stick with it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 7/11/2021 at 1:54 PM, Kuley6901 said:

Find her a coach for lessons if you want to remain married. 🤭

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

i would agree, weight probably getting over your toes. If you stand too far from the ball, subconsciously you lean into it and obviously your strike goes closer to the heel. Harder you swing, more your weights going to move which makes sense why you can half swing it alright. When you set up, set up a little closer to the ball. Get set and then pause, move your weight back onto your heels, feel the weight transfer to the heels, then make your swing focusing on keeping the weight in the heel portion of your foot. It will feel really weird but in reality it'll probably end up being around the middle of your feet and with time it'll become muscle memory. Good luck!

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X