Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Steel spikes vs plastic spikes

Rolled up on a twosome AT the T box on the back nine dressed in their hipster gear, hoodies and shants, drinking their own brought in beers and while waiting on the group in front of them to clear the green on a par four were pissing on the cart path.

Yeah I said bring back some decorum. This is the result of the “I don’t care what you do” attitude.

Oh, and then while riding around in circles for several holes came up on seventeen to see if we had picked up one of their lost irons.

CEAB44C0-9647-4C3F-89BC-33C7A33E1A96.gif

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

8 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Rolled up on a twosome AT the T box on the back nine dressed in their hipster gear, hoodies and shants, drinking their own brought in beers and while waiting on the group in front of them to clear the green on a par four were pissing on the cart path.

Yeah I said bring back some decorum. This is the result of the “I don’t care what you do” attitude.

Oh, and then while riding around in circles for several holes came up on seventeen to see if we had picked up one of their lost irons.

CEAB44C0-9647-4C3F-89BC-33C7A33E1A96.gif

Hmmmm I wonder if they are buddies with the guy dressed head to toe in Footjoy and Travis Matthews who was openly pissing in the parking lot right next to my car when my then 13yo and I showed up?

This thread is headed in all sorts of directions and I know I’m just as guilty too but this nonsense about clothes equating to manners and “tradition” is garbage. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Hmmmm I wonder if they are buddies with the guy dressed head to toe in Footjoy and Travis Matthews who was openly pissing in the parking lot right next to my car when my then 13yo and I showed up?

This thread is headed in all sorts of directions and I know I’m just as guilty too but this nonsense about clothes equating to manners and “tradition” is garbage. 

Clothing is one thing, but public urination is generally not accepted in this country… 😂

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Clothing is one thing, but public urination is generally not accepted in this country… 😂

Well OBVIOUSLY 🤣🤣🤣

Note I kept the comment to clothes and tradition, not unleashing the floodgates in public 😉

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Re: Manners

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I’m not particularly complaining about the manner of dress. I remember being turned away from courses years ago for not having a collared golf shirt. Clubs denying access based on dress has always equated to perceived values and manners.

I’m referring to Golf Etiquette and, yes tradition.
The prevailing “I don’t care what you do” attitude is now equated to turning a blind eye to the reason’s some of us play golf. As example the First Tee commercials promoting manners, truth, honesty and self control as a foundation for growing the game and  for living your life. In golf these principles are based on tradition and meant as a way to help newcomers grow mentally and emotionally while respecting others around you as you learn the game. Turn a blind eye to the erosion of etiquette, manners, civility and tradition you might as well play soccer.

Personally what someone wears is fine because there is no “style” in today’s younger generation anyway. Just wait for the days of shirtless, flip flop wearing man bun wanting to play thru your group because they ran out of beer 🙂

What I do have a problem with is when some shouting, loudly cursing drunk is unabashedly pissing openly in a community golf course all the while blasting fouled mouthed rap on their mini boom box thinking they are Arnold Palmer.

But for some that’s just a tradition.

I do apologize for dragging this thread off course.

Edited by Motoboss

On 5/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, Riverboat said:

The level of damage I have seen from plastic spikes is not even in the same universe as the constant minefield of spikemarks in the bad old days of metal. I think most people are totally aware of that. So are the courses themselves. I would bet my retirement that this policy never gets reversed.

Nothing else need be said - 

It wasn't just that you couldn't fix spike marks, at times even if you could it would not have mattered because there were so many of them and the volume of spike marks were a course supers worst nightmare.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

Nothing else need be said - 

It wasn't just that you couldn't fix spike marks, at times even if you could it would not have mattered because there were so many of them and the volume of spike marks were a course supers worst nightmare.  

Ahhhh, nothing better than the ‘ole metal spike spin and pivot ball retrieval drag marks right in your line!

1 minute ago, Motoboss said:

Ahhhh, nothing better than the ‘ole metal spike spin and pivot ball retrieval drag marks right in your line!

I see you've been there and done that too.  But it did provide an excuse for those 3 foot misses, didn't it?  🙂

BTW I did appreciate your comments on tradition - there needs to be some sort of balance - I'm all for more people playing and not particularly upset by dress on the course but somewhere there needs to be a modicum of respect for others who are playing and also for the golf course - the course should be easy enough - leave it in better shape than you found it, ie. fix a couple of ball marks every hole, fill an extra divot, rake all the footprints in the trap, I'm not as sure how to make a simple rule for the other people who are on the course thing though.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

20 minutes ago, revkev said:

I see you've been there and done that too.  But it did provide an excuse for those 3 foot misses, didn't it?  🙂

BTW I did appreciate your comments on tradition - there needs to be some sort of balance - I'm all for more people playing and not particularly upset by dress on the course but somewhere there needs to be a modicum of respect for others who are playing and also for the golf course - the course should be easy enough - leave it in better shape than you found it, ie. fix a couple of ball marks every hole, fill an extra divot, rake all the footprints in the trap, I'm not as sure how to make a simple rule for the other people who are on the course thing though.

That is my point exactly. Nowadays it seems any opposition to any one’s behavior your deemed to be in the “get off my lawn” crowd.

I guess with the steel spike conversation we’re showing our years.

The only way everyone is going to be on board with making the course a better place is to have an employee from the course on each hole… then people would complain about big brother watching them play golf.  But I bet we would have less videos of people destroying carts, jumping sand traps, or just acting like a fill in the blank…  This isn’t just a golf problem, the “it ain’t mine so I don’t care” mentality is everywhere… went to that baseball game for example, people left so much garbage in the stands I couldn’t believe it.  I just don’t get it.

15 hours ago, Shankster said:

The only way everyone is going to be on board with making the course a better place is to have an employee from the course on each hole… then people would complain about big brother watching them play golf.  But I bet we would have less videos of people destroying carts, jumping sand traps, or just acting like a fill in the blank…  This isn’t just a golf problem, the “it ain’t mine so I don’t care” mentality is everywhere… went to that baseball game for example, people left so much garbage in the stands I couldn’t believe it.  I just don’t get it.

The problem is that everyone and there brother feels like if they feel like doing something, everyone else be damned.  It has come to the point of "if someone else is bothered by what I do, that is on them not me" and then you add to that "we can't both win, someone in the scenario has to lose and it ain't me" and you get what we see all over. Which is why every attention seeking moron with a tik tok account is more worried about how they can get views than how their behavior affects others.

Also, putting an employee on every hole will just piss off the Kens and Karens out there cause they won't be "told what to do by some lowly employee who needs to mind their own business and let them do what they want since they paid for the round and will do what ever they want".

Now, get off my green and turn down that non Lawrence Welk music. 🤫

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

I look at it this way... this is my home course. It's where I play 90% of the time. I take care of it and do my part to keep it in playable condition.... fix ball marks, fill divots, don't run the cart through wet areas, etc... normal common sense things.  I know I'm not the smartest knife in the drawer, but this aint rocket surgery! 😉

I need to add.... I do the same on any course I/we play on... common courtesy for someone elses home course.

Edited by silver & black
add more