Swing Speed Training, which one is right?

SteveD

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the mens 3 speed clubs, and I’m wondering if I need anything additional to measure my speeds? I have a Garmin S62 watch and CT club sensors and approach R10.

Also, I’m a novice golfer, but a strong guy, so would the long drive set and the super speed C club be a better combo than the mens set I bought? Curious as to how’s they all differ. 

Anyone have experience with the long drive vs the mens set?

45 minutes ago, SteveD said:

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the mens 3 speed clubs, and I’m wondering if I need anything additional to measure my speeds? I have a Garmin S62 watch and CT club sensors and approach R10.

Also, I’m a novice golfer, but a strong guy, so would the long drive set and the super speed C club be a better combo than the mens set I bought? Curious as to how’s they all differ. 

Strong does not necessarily equate to fast.   

What is you club head speed?   I don’t thing any of the d3vices you listed will measure clubhead speed without actually hitting a ball.  To do speed training you should ideally have a device that measures without the need to hit the ball.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Strong does not necessarily equate to fast.   

What is you club head speed?   I don’t thing any of the d3vices you listed will measure clubhead speed without actually hitting a ball.  To do speed training you should ideally have a device that measures without the need to hit the ball.   

Well during my range sessions with my R10, I’ve been using lag shot drivers (95mph in average). A few times gotten To 136 but. It’s rate 

4 minutes ago, SteveD said:

Well during my range sessions with my R10, I’ve been using lag shot drivers (95mph in average). A few times gotten To 136 but. It’s rate 

What is swing speed with a normal driver; lag shot doesn’t mean anything nor does a 40mph range.   Superspeed says on their site that the long drive set is for Long Drive professionals with club speeds above 125 MPH.

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As a novice golfer I would ditch the speed training and spend money on lessons. Getting proper swing mechanics could add speed on its own

Oh, I have been taking lessons and they agree. We can clean some stuff Up to really hit it further. I just. Figured at some point,. I’ll wanna train for speed right?

10 minutes ago, SteveD said:

Oh, I have been taking lessons and they agree. We can clean some stuff Up to really hit it further. I just. Figured at some point,. I’ll wanna train for speed right?

if you are approaching 125, you probably don't need to train for speed unless you want to do long drive competitions.  

49 minutes ago, SteveD said:

Not necessarily. It would something to consider but not a requirement.

If ones swing breaks down from trying to gain speed then it’s a bad idea. 

Golf is as much about control as it is speed. Look at Finau as one example. He can easily get around 200mph ball speed if he went after it. The problem is control of the ball goes away

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

if you are approaching 125, you probably don't need to train for speed unless you want to do long drive competitions.  

Well,  I ain’t doing 125 often or often enough..figure closer to 100 or less. And after looking at my R10 stats from swinging with my lag shots, and it’s rare. It happens but rare.

I hear you on the competition, that said, I’d love to pound my friends into the ground consistently and make their heads spin with lloonnnggg drives.

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not necessarily. It would something to consider but not a requirement.

If ones swing breaks down from trying to gain speed then it’s a bad idea. 

Golf is as much about control as it is speed. Look at Finau as one example. He can easily get around 200mph ball speed if he went after it. The problem is control of the ball goes away

Gotcha!

On 8/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, SteveD said:

Hi everyone,

If you have no experience in Speed Training the regular set will be fine. Unless you are at 125MPH. 

Speed training is more likely to improve your mechanics than hurt them as you naturally find more efficient ways to swing the club through repetition. Then add reps hitting actually balls with driver after the speed sticks to help transfer and you get more reps which in general will help your tee shots. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

2 hours ago, BMart519 said:

If you have no experience in Speed Training the regular set will be fine. Unless you are at 125MPH. 

Speed training is more likely to improve your mechanics than hurt them as you naturally find more efficient ways to swing the club through repetition. Then add reps hitting actually balls with driver after the speed sticks to help transfer and you get more reps which in general will help your tee shots. 

Thannkss!

This off-season will be a BIG one for me! Really hoping to make a TON of progress!

• 2 weeks later...

The deltas of those numbers are so large that I would question the accuracy of the outliers.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 9/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

The deltas of those numbers are so large that I would question the accuracy of the outliers.

I was waiting for someone to say this. 

Im not sure even Kyle Berkshire even hit over 160. That would make for 240 potential ball speed and his record is 236 or something. I think your data capture is a bit off somehow with the lag shot. I see many entries where ball speed is lower than club with the driver. 

I would stick to a regular club at least. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV