Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Most Unusual Par You Have Ever Gotten?

During today's round I had two pitch/chip ins.  The first for birdie was a lob wedge from 43 yards out.  I had to rely on my playing partners because I was over a bunker, and I couldn't see the pin or the ball going in.  I'm very confident if you had me hit 100 balls from the same spot, I wouldn't be able to hole it out again!  But that's not the most unusual.

The other falls into the category of one of my most unusual pars I've ever had.  Our 16th hole is a short par three over water with traps in the front and back.  I pulled my tee shot to the left and had a downhill sand shot.  Even though I had plenty of room between the trap and pin, I flubbed the sand shot and left it in the bunker.  After regaining my composure, I walked up to the ball, took aim and hit my third shot.  To my surprise it took two hops and rolled right into the cup for a double sandie par from the same trap. 

I can't remember ever doing that on a par three which made me think about any other strange or unusual pars I've gotten.  Let's see how many "unconventional" pars that people have gotten.  

Edited by Golf2Much
add more information
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I think I may have posted this before.  I have two.  One was like your second.  At Royal Dornoch (gratuitous brag), I hit my tee shot on a par 3 into a bunker, left the first bunker shot in the bunker and then holed the next one for par.  At my home course, I once hit my tee shot into the woods with an 8 iron, re-teed and made the next shot for a 3.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

... As most here know I do not have a HIO. Playing a short peninsula par 3 with a front pin I spun my wedge off the front and back into the water. Re-teed and hit my next wedge just past the hole and it spun back in for a par. Golf Gods had a good laugh with that one. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Several years ago playing with my father, I hit my 2nd shot on a short Par 4 over the green and into a water hazard.  Out of frustration, I dropped another ball and holed out the next shot from 105 yards.  My father looked at me and said "Nice par".  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

44 minutes ago, chisag said:

... As most here know I do not have a HIO. Playing a short peninsula par 3 with a front pin I spun my wedge off the front and back into the water. Re-teed and hit my next wedge just past the hole and it spun back in for a par. Golf Gods had a good laugh with that one. 

That is cruel and unusual punishment right there!  😳

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Drove it behind a log, chipped out, laid up to 100, bladed 75 yards over the green on the next tee, then holed it for a par 5.

Best Bird was 2 weeks ago.  Drove it into a lake, dropped, 3 wood to 3 feet, tap in 4.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

50 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Drove it behind a log, chipped out, laid up to 100, bladed 75 yards over the green on the next tee, then holed it for a par 5.

... Perfect example of why you never give up on a hole and play one shot at a time. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Not a par, but a most unconventional bogey. Several years ago now but remember it clear as day...

185 yard uphill par 3. Fatted my 3 iron about 30 yards short of the green but in-line with the pin. Overcook the pitch but it's dead on-line with the pin. Ball lands in the hole, does a little lap and exits 90° to the left and ends up on the fringe about 25-30ft away. Left the pin in and putted from the fringe. Putt was tracking perfectly until it hit the pin dead-centre and bounced backward, finishing 6 inches or so from the hole. Tapped in for bogey and laughed my way to the next tee about how ridiculous that hole was...

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

As with others above, my most unlikely of pars was the result of penalty strokes.  

Many, many years ago, I was playing the Par 4 18th at my home course... dog leg right with OB left and right.  After blocking a drive dead right on the wrong side of the white stakes, I "reloaded" and found the left side of the fairway with a sitting right at the turn of the dogleg - because I was on the wrong side of the dogleg - I was about as far as I could be from the hole and still be on the fairway.  It was late in the afternoon, and the approach shot to 18 was dead into the setting sun.  I had 185 and pured a 5 iron that started left and was cutting toward the center of the green - right into the sun.  My playing partner and I got to the green and we looked in the rough short and long, in the traps on both sides, and finally, my playing partner walked up to the green to mark his ball, and looked in the cup... there she was.  Unfortunately I didn't get to see it go in the hole, or even see that it had a chance due to the sun blindness - but the feeling was pretty sweet.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Long par 5 with water all on the right side and guarding the green.  Hit my tee shot well but  thru the fairway into the water on the right.  Obviously I had to go for it to make up for my dropped shot off the tee, so I ripped a 3 wood that hit the bank in front of the green and rolled into the water.  A drop on the front side of the green and holed it out from 30ish yards.  A par with 2 penalty strokes makes you feel silly that you even take risks that put penalty areas in play.

Stroke 1 - In the water

Stroke 2 - Drop

Stroke 3 - In the water

Stroke 4 - Drop

Stroke 5 - In the hole

Edited by DeBartola_B

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

I remember it vividly 

Senior year of high school. Tied in a match on the 7th hole which is a narrow Par 4. The green is slightly downhill from the fairway and the 6th hole runs parallel to the 7th and is slightly elevated above it 

Pull my drive onto the 6th fairway and now I have to go over some trees to get to the green. Pull the shot and hits the tree between the green and the 6th tee and lands on the 6th tee. 

I am now faced with a shot that is about 25yards, 20 ft downhill onto a green the slopes severely away from me. Oh, and I have to keep it under the tree I just hit. The hill down to the green is mostly overgrown fescue and some rough 

I try to hit a flop (had about 15ft of clearance) shot that still stayed under the tree, but ended up hitting a branch and dropping straight down into the tall stuff. 

I am now left with a shot which was basically a chunk out and hope it takes the hill down onto the green but then someone stays on the green (which would be impossible due to the slope)

Well I executed this shot perfectly and the  all barely reached the green before it started picking up speed.  Ball rolled about 30 for across the green and hit the flagstick dead center and dropped in. Without hitting the flag the ball would have run through the green, down another hill and into a bunker

I’ll never forget the look on my opponents face when that shot went in.  Can’t believe that was over 20 years ago

21 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

During today's round I had two pitch/chip ins.  The first for birdie was a lob wedge from 43 yards out.  I had to rely on my playing partners because I was over a bunker, and I couldn't see the pin or the ball going in.  I'm very confident if you had me hit 100 balls from the same spot, I wouldn't be able to hole it out again!  But that's not the most unusual.

The other falls into the category of one of my most unusual pars I've ever had.  Our 16th hole is a short par three over water with traps in the front and back.  I pulled my tee shot to the left and had a downhill sand shot.  Even though I had plenty of room between the trap and pin, I flubbed the sand shot and left it in the bunker.  After regaining my composure, I walked up to the ball, took aim and hit my third shot.  To my surprise it took two hops and rolled right into the cup for a double sandie par from the same trap. 

I can't remember ever doing that on a par three which made me think about any other strange or unusual pars I've gotten.  Let's see how many "unconventional" pars that people have gotten.  

I have also had the par from greenside bunker as well. Only reason I would say it was abnormal is because it was my first year ever golfing, and it was a miracle that I was even close to the green in 3 shots! Even now, I would maybe make 1 shot out of the bunker in as many tries as you'd give me from sun up to sun down!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

2 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I remember it vividly 

Senior year of high school. Tied in a match on the 7th hole which is a narrow Par 4. The green is slightly downhill from the fairway and the 6th hole runs parallel to the 7th and is slightly elevated above it 

Pull my drive onto the 6th fairway and now I have to go over some trees to get to the green. Pull the shot and hits the tree between the green and the 6th tee and lands on the 6th tee. 

I am now faced with a shot that is about 25yards, 20 ft downhill onto a green the slopes severely away from me. Oh, and I have to keep it under the tree I just hit. The hill down to the green is mostly overgrown fescue and some rough 

I try to hit a flop (had about 15ft of clearance) shot that still stayed under the tree, but ended up hitting a branch and dropping straight down into the tall stuff. 

I am now left with a shot which was basically a chunk out and hope it takes the hill down onto the green but then someone stays on the green (which would be impossible due to the slope)

Well I executed this shot perfectly and the  all barely reached the green before it started picking up speed.  Ball rolled about 30 for across the green and hit the flagstick dead center and dropped in. Without hitting the flag the ball would have run through the green, down another hill and into a bunker

I’ll never forget the look on my opponents face when that shot went in.  Can’t believe that was over 20 years ago

Given my senior year of high school was...ah...just shy of 50 years ago, there's only a few things I remember about golf back then.  First, that I picked up golf and joined our small school team just so I could get out of classes the last few months of our school year.  The other was our "home" course was a 9-hole layout that had several holes that were adjacent to a psychiatric institution.  In general, the patients were not dangerous and back then there was minimum security and no fences.  What I remember most is having a local rule that when a patient wondered on the course and picked up your ball, you were allowed a free drop.  More often than not, they would walk up smiling and would try to sell you the ball that they just picked up.  You just had to laugh and bring several quarters with you because we didn't have too many golf balls back then.  Those were the days!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I've had several highly improbable chip-ins for par or birdie, but my oddest par was last week.

Tee shot sliced way right into the next fairway, leaving just over 200 yards to reach the green.  Trees run between the fairways so my best option is play up the fairway I'm on.  I know if I land it in the right general area it will at least roll towards the green I want.  I chose my line, nailed a 5 wood which, unusually, went where I wanted it to 'Ooh that looks good' I thought.  My ball was pin high on the green having rolled between trees and past a bunker.  Long putt and a tap in for par.

• 2 weeks later...

At the very last hole during the round of golf in Italian Alps I found myself on driveable straight 250 meter par 4. Tee box was elevated about 40 meters above the green and in order to drive the green you have to hit it blindly straight through the narrow window formed by 2 rows of spruces. My playing partners played the hole as the designer intended and layed up in the fat part of the fairway with long irons/hybrids whereas I hit my mini driver in hopes of hitting the green. First shot hook left into OB deep into brambles, barely missing the course employee that was bravely signaling the fate of each shot from the edge of the fairway. 

I re-tee with the Mini driver again and hit it pure. The ball flew high and landed straight on the green. The course employee said nobody in the tournament was stupid/brave enough to try that and my second shot that directly hit the green caught her completely by surprise. 

I set up behind the ball on the green in hopes to send the ball uphill, slightly sideways 20 meters over 2 tiers in hopes of saving bogey with 2 putts. Golf gods smiled upon me as I hit the first putt dead middle of the hole. I nearly p****d myself laughing as my playing partners were fuming and cursing as they all bogeyed the hole.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

At a local course - 340 yard par four, big dogleg right, with trees EVERYWHERE - pushed my drive into said trees on right.  Second was a bad chip out that hit a tree and went further right, now into the run up fairway of an adjoining par 3 😞 Then proceeded to try to launch a high thread into the green (mostly blind, especially with tears of fear, sadness and humour in my eyes).  Goes long over the green to tee area of next hole ... Fourth shot, Hail Mary low running chip -into the hole.  So never really saw the actual geography of the hole except the tee  - golf is a strange way to spend time some days.

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags