Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

19 minutes ago, carter18 said:

Ok, phew! Took me several days of sporadic reading, but I have finally caught up on the thread. I currently play a Mitsubishi C6 blue in 70g X flex and placed my order today for a Grafalloy PLB 45A. My swing speed is very similar to Stu's from the initial post and this has been super intriguing. It really resonated with me because in a recent trip to top golf with my wife and a friend couple of ours I had an experience that seemed to come full circle reading through this thread.  With my driver I was sitting in the 156-160 ball speed on the top golf monitors for most of the day.  I play a Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero in 10.5 turned down to 9.5. On a whim I grabbed the women's driver which was a Callaway Rouge ST Max Women's (no idea what shaft was in it). After a few swings I smoked one that registered 169 ball speed. I thought nothing of this really and figured it must have been some sort of malfunction although the flight while a bit of a pull was the straightest ball I hit the entire session and hit the middle of the net still rising. While reading through this thread, that day continues to come to mind and now I am in it to find out how to replicate those ball speed #s. I should have my shaft in sometime this weekend and will update with some testing numbers.

Side question for you do it yourself club builders. Anywhere you recommend going to find reasonably priced club building supplies. I have been gripping my clubs for several years, and have recently used the do it yourself swing weight using the suggestions in the post. Current driver set up came in at just over D6 btw.  I would like to figure out how to remove applicator tips to reuse without ruining old shafts and would also like to get a bit more into home setup building.  Recommendations for necessary home club building tools or supplies?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to venturing down the rabbit hole with you!

Golfworks, the best by far.

1 hour ago, carter18 said:

Ok, phew! Took me several days of sporadic reading, but I have finally caught up on the thread. I currently play a Mitsubishi C6 blue in 70g X flex and placed my order today for a Grafalloy PLB 45A. My swing speed is very similar to Stu's from the initial post and this has been super intriguing. It really resonated with me because in a recent trip to top golf with my wife and a friend couple of ours I had an experience that seemed to come full circle reading through this thread.  With my driver I was sitting in the 156-160 ball speed on the top golf monitors for most of the day.  I play a Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero in 10.5 turned down to 9.5. On a whim I grabbed the women's driver which was a Callaway Rouge ST Max Women's (no idea what shaft was in it). After a few swings I smoked one that registered 169 ball speed. I thought nothing of this really and figured it must have been some sort of malfunction although the flight while a bit of a pull was the straightest ball I hit the entire session and hit the middle of the net still rising. While reading through this thread, that day continues to come to mind and now I am in it to find out how to replicate those ball speed #s. I should have my shaft in sometime this weekend and will update with some testing numbers.

Side question for you do it yourself club builders. Anywhere you recommend going to find reasonably priced club building supplies. I have been gripping my clubs for several years, and have recently used the do it yourself swing weight using the suggestions in the post. Current driver set up came in at just over D6 btw.  I would like to figure out how to remove applicator tips to reuse without ruining old shafts and would also like to get a bit more into home setup building.  Recommendations for necessary home club building tools or supplies?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to venturing down the rabbit hole with you!

By "applicator tips" I'm assuming you mean the adapters one uses to change loft, etc?  You'll need a heat source (I use a micro torch but I've been at it for 40 years) and some sort of "shaft puller".  Mine is simply a bottle jack mounted horizontally in a welded frame.  I'm sure if you do a web search you'll find myriad videos as well as places to purchase one cheaply.

With no intent to sound snarky, if it were me I'd practice a few times on shafts/adapters that, if things go horribly wrong, wouldn't put me out of pocket too much.

I don't know if they still offer it but Golfworks used to sell a basic book on club building that was pretty well illustrated and covered most of what  you'd need to know.

The good news, for me at least, is that we no longer, outside of those working with classic clubs, need to work with pinned iron heads, having to whip the ferrules on persimmon club heads, hand wrap leather grips, etc.  To me modern clubs are much easier to work with than their predecessors.  But, as always, that's one guy on the internet expressing an opinion.

There's also a 'diy' section in this forum you'd enjoy perusing, lots of good information and I'm sure some very helpful members, give it a shot.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Well I've seen it but I bloody well don't believe it, my lady shaft arrived yesterday and I went for a hit today. I'm staggered how straight I hit it, bloody nora I'm hooked on 43inch shaft length. So will play again tomorrow and see what I can do, tbh I truly thought this was a hoax yabba dabba doo thanks to all who tried this ...

The shaft info below and used Titleist 917 8.5 loft set at A1.... Used shaft BUT cheap..

IMG_20221108_174238.png

Edited by Bang60
Missed info

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

4 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Well I've seen it but I bloody well don't believe it, my lady shaft arrived yesterday and I went for a hit today. I'm staggered how straight I hit it, bloody nora I'm hooked on 43inch shaft length. So will play again tomorrow and see what I can do, tbh I truly thought this was a hoax yabba dabba doo thanks to all who tried this ...

The shaft info below and used Titleist 917 8.5 loft set at A1.... Used shaft BUT cheap..

IMG_20221108_174238.png

That's a good alternative to the ProLaunch Blue.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Won't necessarily be pure Otto Phlex, but shafts should be arriving either Friday or next Monday. True testing season has begun!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 hours ago, Bang60 said:

IMG_20221108_174238.png

43 inch shaft is 3 wood length. You are losing 5-10 mph CHS...

14 hours ago, carter18 said:

Anywhere you recommend going to find reasonably priced club building supplies.

Golfworks for everything.

Hireko occasionally as well.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Won't necessarily be pure Otto Phlex, but shafts should be arriving either Friday or next Monday. True testing season has begun!

Best of luck, keep us posted please.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

17 hours ago, carter18 said:

I picked up some basic shop items from harbor freight for a great price. Like my table vise for $20, and a heat gun for about the same. I used to use a torch but a heat gun is much better for working with graphite shafts. 220 grit sand paper is what I use to prep shaft tips. 60 grit is good for finishing up a hosel clean out as well as scoring the inside of the hosel or ferrule to keep a good bond. Speaking of bond, I've recently started using Golfworks Quick set epoxy. It's been fully cured and playable in 2 hours. (Not recommended but great in a pinch). Overnight is a guaranteed set. 

You will also want some good drill bits for cleaning out hosels and shafts. You'll want acetone, and rubbing alcohol for cleaning and turning the ferrules. You'll want a bunch of decent lint free cloths. After some practice, I've come to use shop paper towels for most of my cleanup and ferrules. 

This is the best "DIY" shaft puller that I've found. It's a break calliper splitter. Picked it up for $15 on Amazon. I also have a Dremel-like tool that I used to cut out the gaps and make the inside and edges smooth. It's soft steel so you can pretty easily drill through it with some WD-40 or silicone spray. I made a modification to mine to be more friendly with tip adapters. This thing works like a charm! Apply about 45 seconds of heat from the gun and you're good to go. 

This here's mine. You do need a table vise though to hold the shaft and create the leverage. . Oh yeah, don't forget the rubber shaft holder. Those are cheap 

1108220759.jpg.0613d91b468a617baaf603972c99bddc.jpg

1108220800.jpg.ce251f51caabce8ed8bb8f85d31bd942.jpg

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

29 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I picked up some basic shop items from harbor freight for a great price. Like my table vise for $20, and a heat gun for about the same. I used to use a torch but a heat gun is much better for working with graphite shafts. 220 grit sand paper is what I use to prep shaft tips. 60 grit is good for finishing up a hosel clean out as well as scoring the inside of the hosel or ferrule to keep a good bond. Speaking of bond, I've recently started using Golfworks Quick set epoxy. It's been fully cured and playable in 2 hours. (Not recommended but great in a pinch). Overnight is a guaranteed set. 

You will also want some good drill bits for cleaning out hosels and shafts. You'll want acetone, and rubbing alcohol for cleaning and turning the ferrules. You'll want a bunch of decent lint free cloths. After some practice, I've come to use shop paper towels for most of my cleanup and ferrules. 

This is the best "DIY" shaft puller that I've found. It's a break calliper splitter. Picked it up for $15 on Amazon. I also have a Dremel-like tool that I used to cut out the gaps and make the inside and edges smooth. It's soft steel so you can pretty easily drill through it with some WD-40 or silicone spray. I made a modification to mine to be more friendly with tip adapters. This thing works like a charm! Apply about 45 seconds of heat from the gun and you're good to go. 

Take good care of the HF Heat Gun.  I used to use one; lasted maybe a year and only used about a dozen times.  I have had good luck with a propane micro-torch.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Take good care of the HF Heat Gun.  I used to use one; lasted maybe a year and only used about a dozen times.  I have had good luck with a propane micro-torch.

Ha ha yeah, I've never taken HF's electrical gadgets too seriously. This is more of a "do I want to spend $75 on a good heat gun" purchase. I actually think I got the member's discount and paid like $10. If/when it goes out, I won't be too let down but I'll definitely spring for a better one. I just like plugging it in being good to go. I do still use butane for steel shafts though. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I picked up some basic shop items from harbor. 

This here's mine. You do need a table vise though to hold the shaft and create the leverage. . Oh yeah, don't forget the rubber shaft holder. Those are cheap 

1108220759.jpg.0613d91b468a617baaf603972c99bddc.jpg

Actually you only need a F-clamp, here's mine and I used the Dinner table lol but the boss was out...

IMG_20220921_085312.png

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

7 hours ago, peakation said:

Technically your right but your assuming my contact point is as good with the 46inch shaft and it's NOT, I had one drive that was about 3metres behind my 46inch Mizuno driver but with a tail wind. I will see how this shaft pans out before I start tinkering with it, interesting I found I could use an orange plastic Tee and keep the ball flight low into the wind which is something I've never been able to do in the past...

On 11/7/2022 at 2:56 PM, carter18 said:

I have just followed this to pull adapters, never had an issue (probably done 10-15 and I just go really easy on the heat, usually have to heat a couple times). Way easier then anything else I have done

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0xKjaTmiI

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

3 wood - Mizuno 15 deg (@14) ST200 - Tensei Blue X flex

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

5 iron -  Mp18 MMC Fli Hi - Modus 105x - 7 iron length

Irons - (PW - 6) JPX 900 tour - Modus 105x (6 iron is 7 iron length) 

Wedges (50,55) - Vokey SM7

Wedge (60) Callaway PM Grind        

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

11 hours ago, Chadvb said:

I have just followed this to pull adapters, never had an issue (probably done 10-15 and I just go really easy on the heat, usually have to heat a couple times). Way easier then anything else I have done

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0xKjaTmiI

And youve done this without compromising the integrity of the tip? Or over cooking the adapter? Some adapters will turn brown if you heat them up too long and he had that thing cooking. Also, I've read that even if you don't visually crack or split the end, overheating can cause it to become brittle. Just curious if this has never happened 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

19 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

And youve done this without compromising the integrity of the tip? Or over cooking the adapter? Some adapters will turn brown if you heat them up too long and he had that thing cooking. Also, I've read that even if you don't visually crack or split the end, overheating can cause it to become brittle. Just curious if this has never happened 

Never had an issue. Pretty sure I have done most major brands too. Again, I go super light on the heat to start, attach the club head to twist and usually the first couple times, nothing happens, so remove the head, kiss with the flame again and try try again till it works.

I had a friend try this method though and he was too aggressive and browned the adapter (nothing a little sharpie couldn’t fix) and frayed the shaft tip (was a fujikura vista pro shaft I believe) which resulted in a tipped driver shaft turned 5 wood shaft, oops. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

On 11/8/2022 at 4:14 AM, peakation said:

Most people gain around 1-2 MPH per inch, sometimes less because not many can play a 46" driver. So more like 3-6 MPH maximum. To get the same swing weight at 43" and 46" playing length you would need 20+ grams of additional weight which will boost smash factor and shrink that difference. 

Also didn't clarify if that is playing length of the shaft or actual shaft length. A 43" shaft is playing 44" or more. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Most people gain around 1-2 MPH per inch, sometimes less because not many can play a 46" driver. So more like 3-6 MPH maximum. To get the same swing weight at 43" and 46" playing length you would need 20+ grams of additional weight which will boost smash factor and shrink that difference. 

Also didn't clarify if that is playing length of the club or actual shaft length. A 43" shaft is playing 44" or more and close to standard. 

Also didn't clarify if that is playing length of the club or actual shaft length. A 43" shaft is playing 44" or more and close to standard. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

2 hours ago, Chadvb said:

Never had an issue. Pretty sure I have done most major brands too. Again, I go super light on the heat to start, attach the club head to twist and usually the first couple times, nothing happens, so remove the head, kiss with the flame again and try try again till it works.

I had a friend try this method though and he was too aggressive and browned the adapter (nothing a little sharpie couldn’t fix) and frayed the shaft tip (was a fujikura vista pro shaft I believe) which resulted in a tipped driver shaft turned 5 wood shaft, oops. 

don't twist if it's a graphite shaft

6 minutes ago, BadgerRick said:

don't twist if it's a graphite shaft

So I have heard... however, I always have twisted with the adapter and no issues on my limited experience. My opinion is it is more of a heat thing, be careful with the heat and you will be fine. 

(I have also pulled quite a few head off graphite shafts without a shaft puller, I don't twist the heads when I do it but its always worked, I guess I am a rebel...lol) 

And apologies all, I don't think this belongs in this topic. 

On another note - my Graffaloy PLB 44g A flex arrived at my club today, excited to go pick it up... if only there wasn't 2 feet of snow on the ground. Its gonna be a long wait!

Edited by Chadvb

What's in the bag:

1 hour ago, Chadvb said:

... if only there wasn't 2 feet of snow on the ground. Its gonna be a long wait!

Excuses excuses 🤣😂

BabyishAllHyrax-size_restricted.gif.37f46710cfce1a2276ed77e6f27b661d.gif

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 11/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, azstu324 said:

(Insert homer Simpson gif.. "doh")

DOH.jpg.bc3bdd6d3e1f3e853ceab3a1de736aa4.jpg

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Also didn't clarify if that is playing length of the shaft or actual shaft length. A 43" shaft is playing 44" or more. 

Sorry I wasn't sure what the playing length was but it's 44.25, went out late arvo yesterday and played 3 holes because I'm excited to see how my lady's performance is going.

I'm still in love got it bad.

Wifey thinks I'm crazy lol but hey nothing new in that, had a slight dropkick and went left but still good distance. Thinking this is a very forgiving shaft unlike my stiffer shafts, might rest the body today...

2 hours ago, Chadvb said:

. My opinion is it is more of a heat thing, be careful with the heat and you will be fine.  

100% agree, I ruined 2 nice graphite driver shafts with heat when I started. But in my defense I was using a crow bar and needed more heat to move the head an 1/8 of a inch at a time, since I started using my version of the shaft remover I use a 1/4 of that heat because I have constant pressure pushing on the head easy peasy...

Got another shaft in the 7 iron head and tomorrow morning looks like last round of the year up here, lows are going to be in the teens which severely limits tee times if it even gets above freezing in a useful way until the spring thaw.  I'll get at least a few comparison shots on the course and we shall see what we shall see...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 11/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, cksurfdude said:

DOH.jpg.bc3bdd6d3e1f3e853ceab3a1de736aa4.jpg

That's the one! 😁

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Took the O-PH 7 iron to the course.  Higher ball flight than my A flex.  And probably an average of 4-5 yards more distance.

I'm convinced the concept, for me as a slow swing speed/older golfer, is workable throughout the bag.

As the Monkees sang, "I'm a Believer..."

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

25 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

Took the O-PH 7 iron to the course.  Higher ball flight than my A flex.  And probably an average of 4-5 yards more distance.

I'm convinced the concept, for me as a slow swing speed/older golfer, is workable throughout the bag.

As the Monkees sang, "I'm a Believer..."

I continue to have good results from the driver... the real question is... why haven't I pulled the trigger through the rest of my bag?  

So, how was the dispersion of the 7 iron compared to your previous shaft?

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

So here's a slightly straying question, but still somewhat relevant. I'm trying to think of a good home for the Riptide Evenflow. My 3 wood is in a long-term relationship with the Garafalloy GWX shaft and I don't see them splitting up any time soon. I'm deciding to part with my Cobra F8 6 wood because I just don't ever use it. I am considering picking up a PXG 0211 19° hybrid and want to implement the OttoPhlex theory. I think that the heavier hybrid head might just make the riptide come more to life. Here in lies the rub.. I'm about 96% certain that the adapter size for the PXG is .370. with the tip size of the Riptide being .335, I'll need a shim. I'm not too partial to using shims if I can help it.

Q: has anyone here ever shimmed a .335 driver shaft into a .370 hybrid? I'm sure it can be done.. but I'm looking for probability of success. Not trying to be donating my new PXG hybrid head to someone's back yard. I'm leaning towards giving it a whirl but thought I'd ask the group first. 

Thanks! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

41 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I continue to have good results from the driver... the real question is... why haven't I pulled the trigger through the rest of my bag?  

So, how was the dispersion of the 7 iron compared to your previous shaft?

For me it was better dispersion with the L flex.

I've come to the conclusion that if the swing weight is too light for the shaft the head isn't "closing" at impact.  If the swing weight is too heavy?  The opposite happens, the torsion of the head twists the head too closed at impact. 

So the D0-D1 represents the most effective compromise.  That seems to be true for driver, fairways, hybrids, and as of today the irons as well.

When I got home the Adams set of V4 Idea Tech irons had arrived.  Got the 7 iron done; it's going to play at 37.5 inches at D0.  I did add an 8 gram counterweight in the butt of the shaft as the grip I removed from it was 59 grams and the new one was only 51 grams.  Came in spot on the D0 swing weight it had been when I checked it out of the box.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter