Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

6 hours ago, Bobbers said:

For me it was better dispersion with the L flex.

I've come to the conclusion that if the swing weight is too light for the shaft the head isn't "closing" at impact.  If the swing weight is too heavy?  The opposite happens, the torsion of the head twists the head too closed at impact. 

So the D0-D1 represents the most effective compromise.  That seems to be true for driver, fairways, hybrids, and as of today the irons as well.

When I got home the Adams set of V4 Idea Tech irons had arrived.  Got the 7 iron done; it's going to play at 37.5 inches at D0.  I did add an 8 gram counterweight in the butt of the shaft as the grip I removed from it was 59 grams and the new one was only 51 grams.  Came in spot on the D0 swing weight it had been when I checked it out of the box.

I have some counterweights lying around, but you have convinced me to use them. I have a new air gun for my compressor and previously I couldn't blow on my grips with counterweights installed (too small hole). Hope this works now with the new gun, and I will have much better options when it comes to dialing in the SW. 

Thanks FedEx 😞

Screenshot_2022-11-11-09-42-13-35_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thanks FedEx 😞

If, as you say, the tube had an end cap that popped off, then it was the shippers fault for not taping it down. If they didn't have an end cap and just tape, then it's still the shippers fault. See where I'm going this this? If the thing was crushed in the middle and that's where the break was, yes, Fedex all the way. To me it looks like it was a piss poor packaging job.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

8 minutes ago, MattF said:

If, as you say, the tube had an end cap that popped off, then it was the shippers fault for not taping it down. If they didn't have an end cap and just tape, then it's still the shippers fault. See where I'm going this this? If the thing was crushed in the middle and that's where the break was, yes, Fedex all the way. To me it looks like it was a piss poor packaging job.

Haven't looked into that part under the FedEx tape, however it is the 3rd box in a row I have received from FedEx that has been damaged or crushed or other issues. Thankfully the other products were okay. 

The opposite end was well tapped and cap secured for the record. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

12 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So here's a slightly straying question, but still somewhat relevant. I'm trying to think of a good home for the Riptide Evenflow. My 3 wood is in a long-term relationship with the Garafalloy GWX shaft and I don't see them splitting up any time soon. I'm deciding to part with my Cobra F8 6 wood because I just don't ever use it. I am considering picking up a PXG 0211 19° hybrid and want to implement the OttoPhlex theory. I think that the heavier hybrid head might just make the riptide come more to life. Here in lies the rub.. I'm about 96% certain that the adapter size for the PXG is .370. with the tip size of the Riptide being .335, I'll need a shim. I'm not too partial to using shims if I can help it.

Q: has anyone here ever shimmed a .335 driver shaft into a .370 hybrid? I'm sure it can be done.. but I'm looking for probability of success. Not trying to be donating my new PXG hybrid head to someone's back yard. I'm leaning towards giving it a whirl but thought I'd ask the group first. 

Thanks! 

I've done it, you obviously need a pretty stout shim, and really felt no difference relative to "feel" or overall performance.  If it were me?  I'd give it a go.  Worst case scenario is you end up undoing the modification and selling the shaft.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

14 hours ago, Bobbers said:

For me it was better dispersion with the L flex.

I've come to the conclusion that if the swing weight is too light for the shaft the head isn't "closing" at impact.  If the swing weight is too heavy?  The opposite happens, the torsion of the head twists the head too closed at impact. 

So the D0-D1 represents the most effective compromise.  That seems to be true for driver, fairways, hybrids, and as of today the irons as well.

When I got home the Adams set of V4 Idea Tech irons had arrived.  Got the 7 iron done; it's going to play at 37.5 inches at D0.  I did add an 8 gram counterweight in the butt of the shaft as the grip I removed from it was 59 grams and the new one was only 51 grams.  Came in spot on the D0 swing weight it had been when I checked it out of the box.

I have been going back and forth on how I should test the O-PH Iron concept in my own game.  I think the only way that I can convince myself if it is a yes or no for my swing is side by side with my gamer to eliminate as many variables as possible.  I did that with the driver, which was easily accomplished by installing the titleist tip on the two shafts.  I have been thinking about how to compare head to head (pun both unintended and intended ;)) with irons and shafts that are "less" inter-changeable.  I've come to the conclusion that the only way I will be able to put the question to rest is to build an "L" flex gamer of the club I'm most familiar with at the moment.  That could be either the T200 or the Stealth... and since the Stealth is in my bag.. that is probably what I will go with.  The question now becomes which shaft... Taylormade has several shafts that are "preferred" such as the KBS Max, Recoil ESX 450 F1, Aldila NV, and Ascent 45... @Bobbersmentioned the Vista Pro so I may see about sourcing that as well.  

I just have a desire to get that same feeling I'm now getting with my driver... on my irons... maybe asking too much, but won't be able to sleep at night until I find out...haha. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 minute ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I have been going back and forth on how I should test the O-PH Iron concept in my own game.  I think the only way that I can convince myself if it is a yes or no for my swing is side by side with my gamer to eliminate as many variables as possible.  I did that with the driver, which was easily accomplished by installing the titleist tip on the two shafts.  I have been thinking about how to compare head to head (pun both unintended and intended ;)) with irons and shafts that are "less" inter-changeable.  I've come to the conclusion that the only way I will be able to put the question to rest is to build an "L" flex gamer of the club I'm most familiar with at the moment.  That could be either the T200 or the Stealth... and since the Stealth is in my bag.. that is probably what I will go with.  The question now becomes which shaft... Taylormade has several shafts that are "preferred" such as the KBS Max, Recoil ESX 450 F1, Aldila NV, and Ascent 45... @Bobbersmentioned the Vista Pro so I may see about sourcing that as well.  

I just have a desire to get that same feeling I'm now getting with my driver... on my irons... maybe asking too much, but won't be able to sleep at night until I find out...haha. 

If it were me?  Recoil all the way, hands down, no contest.  But that's just me, shaft ho.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

1 minute ago, Bobbers said:

If it were me?  Recoil all the way, hands down, no contest.  But that's just me, shaft ho.

I trust you more than myself by miles @bobbers.  🙂  Thanks for the tip.   I will say it was my choice of the list... though the KBS had my attention... mainly because I'm a fan of the steel shafts currently in the Stealth irons... but no question... the recoils are a great shaft.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Didn’t work well for me, bought the Evenflow CB Riptide ( the same type of shaft I was playing, which was recommended in the YouTube videos) went down two flexes and 20 grams on 1W, 3W, 5W. Way too soft. Then tipped an additional inch. Still didn’t work well for me. Played 4 round with the new shafts, had a difficult time squaring the clubface on all the woods. To be fair I didn’t take them to the range. Going back to my old shafts. Hope it works better for others who like experimenting.

8 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I trust you more than myself by miles @bobbers.  🙂  Thanks for the tip.   I will say it was my choice of the list... though the KBS had my attention... mainly because I'm a fan of the steel shafts currently in the Stealth irons... but no question... the recoils are a great shaft.

Enjoy!

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Thanks FedEx 😞

Sorry your shaft is damaged, a real pain messing around with the replacement etc,,,

I bought a single ladies driver shaft on eBay (is it ok to name the seller?) , was shipped from USA to Wellington New Zealand in a small shafts box by FedEx and arrived in perfect condition. It also arrived within a week which is very unusual for FedEx, they have been the slowest but to be fair they got it right this time...

Edited by Bang60
Error

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Just now, Bang60 said:

I bought a single ladies driver shaft on eBay (is it ok to name the seller?) , was shipped from USA to Wellington New Zealand in a small shafts box by FedEx and arrived in perfect condition. It also arrived within a week which is very unusual for FedEx, they have been the slowest but to be fair they got it right this time...

Just some bad luck for me. It happens. Now i just have to do a bit more searching.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Just some bad luck for me. It happens. Now i just have to do a bit more searching.

Yeah the worst, for me it's usually 3-4 weeks shipping times two. Hate that lol. Hey maybe I need to immigrate to the USA, anyone help me get a green card lol...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

1 hour ago, Bang60 said:

Sorry your shaft is damaged, a real pain messing around with the replacement etc,,,

Congrats on your good fortune.  I've been having problems the last several months both as a buyer and seller, with shafts.  As in shipping tubes crushed in the middle as though a truck door got slammed on them or they were run over by something while laying on the floor.

UPS considers a shaft shipped in a tube as "irregular packaging" and wants a bloody fortune in extra cost to ship in that manner.

Over the past year I've found shipping has deteriorated both in terms of time of transit and handling of the packages.  Just my experience.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

12 hours ago, Bobbers said:

12 hours ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Another Recoil fan here!

While I'm definitely in on the O-P idea for driver and fairways, for myself I'm hesitant to go too light and flexy in the irons - I don't want *too much* launch angle and spin .. eg. ballooning (still very much working on my swing and impact and....) .. vs a fit that gives me good launch plus good control.

Curious to hear what you end up trying and how it works out....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Had my friend check my Driver swingweight D0 he has the Golfworks swing weight device so I was close with the leaderboard app at C7-9, he checked the playing length too with his Golfworks ruler and it's 44.5inches. The best thing about it is I feel very confident with the ladies shaft so much so I don't think I can hit a bad drive, I've never felt like that in 40 years playing GOLF. I can't believe how good my dispersion is, a HUGE thanks to all the guys who posted there results you've encouraged me to try it...

Special Thanks to @azstu324 for starting this topic, it been the most helpful topic I've ever seen in my life...

Edited by Bang60
Missed info

58 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Had my friend check my Driver swingweight D0 he has the Golfworks swing weight device so I was close with the leaderboard app at C7-9, he checked the playing length too with his Golfworks ruler and it's 44.5inches. The best thing about it is I feel very confident with the ladies shaft so much so I don't think I can hit a bad drive, I've never felt like that in 40 years playing GOLF. I can't believe how good my dispersion is, a HUGE thanks to all the guys who posted there results you've encouraged me to try it...

Special Thanks to @azstu324 for starting this topic, it been the most helpful topic I've ever seen in my life...

Confidence can be hard to come by and "here today/gone tomorrow" for me personally.

The way this thread has evolved since Stu started it is, in my opinion, the way it's supposed to be.  Some people have success, some don't, suggestions are made,ideas are developed and shared, experiences and facts are posted, etc.  It's the way, again just my opinion, these things are supposed to go.

Civilized discussion and working toward a common goal is so much more enjoyable and productive than forums where someone offers an idea and shares a thought only to be met with the "what the HELL are you doing that for?  Don't you know REAL men only use iron rebar for golf shafts??!?"  Those folks are not interested, apparently, in "how can we make this better?" as much as they are interested in "how can I shout down everyone who doesn't agree with me and turn this into my own personal echo chamber?"

So yeah, I concur with your thoughts on  how this has been a great thread and singling out Stu for starting it.  It's been a fun ride thus far and I know I myself am looking forward to seeing how it plays out and grows.  Well said, Bang.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Bobbers

My driver experiment is really working and I have read you are trying out the Otto in your irons. My question is did you get different shafts (maker/model/weight) for your irons?

My 6 iron speed is in the 70-80 mph range (I am 75 still hit 6 iron 160+ total). All I can find in the Otto range is 45-50 gram and not recommended for s/speed greater than 50.

Thanks for all of your input on the forum. You really are well informed, or, should I say experienced.

Thanks for your help

22 hours ago, Lucky Laroo said:

Didn’t work well for me, .... Played 4 round with the new shafts, had a difficult time squaring the clubface on all the woods. To be fair I didn’t take them to the range....

Yeah, I didn't go to the range, either,  To try to keep apples to apples, I actually went to 2nd swing and bought the exact driver I game in a lower loft (9*) at a pretty low price.  Installed the PLB L to 45.25" playing length and got a D2 swingweight.  First time out, I just hit some 2nd drives with the PLB.  When I was very careful with my swing, the ball flight was MAJESTIC...but the majority were a fade flight.  I felt like I had to really manipulate the club through the ball to keep it on line.  So I decided to actually PLAY for a fade (I don't normally do that) and played a couple more rounds with the PLB exclusively, using it on every tee that I could and left my trusty 3w in the bag.  The only good thing I found is that the PLB eliminated the left side miss completely; I didn't miss a fairway! But the consistent distance and feel wasn't there.  I am convinced it is my swing; I just can't seem to get myself smooth enough and I think that's why I am fading the ball.

The other thing I am wondering about is the PLB itself.  I have tried the PLB before and that shaft never ever felt good, it always had a "boardy" feel to me.  That's what's happening now.  I thought the L flex would make a difference but I am still not feeling the clubhead in the swing; so maybe the shaft "profile" is not what I need.  When I swing my gamer driver, I can feel the clubhead, but not with the PLB and the swingweight is the same.

I am still interested in this hack and am now thinking of trying a different shaft brand that has a different bend/flex/torque profile to see if that would make a difference.  But the really important thing for me is...I'm having FUN doing this! (I apologize for the long post).

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash, 9degree, Stock Green EvenFlow 45g, 5.0

3w: Callaway Epic Flash, 15degree, Stock Green EvenFlow, R

(Hobbyist; work on my own clubs for fun:)

3h, 4h, 5h: Maltby M890 (Maltby Pro Series Hybrid shaft, R)

Acer Pro XV 6-Gw (Recoil 660 R)

54*w, 58*w: Maltby TSW (Maltby Pro Series S...using the "spinner shaft" hack, lol)

Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled Putter, 35", plus 2' loft

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

35 minutes ago, Allen said:

Bobbers

My driver experiment is really working and I have read you are trying out the Otto in your irons. My question is did you get different shafts (maker/model/weight) for your irons?

My 6 iron speed is in the 70-80 mph range (I am 75 still hit 6 iron 160+ total). All I can find in the Otto range is 45-50 gram and not recommended for s/speed greater than 50.

Thanks for all of your input on the forum. You really are well informed, or, should I say experienced.

Thanks for your help

I just picked up what has turned out to be a really strange set of Adams Idea Tech V4 ladies irons.  They have a 50 gram (nominal weight of course) ladies flex shaft.  It's a 7/8/9/PW/GW set which suits me perfectly.

What's been odd about them is that the 7 iron had a Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grip that was like new and the rest of the clubs have totally shot Winn Excel wrap grips and I have no idea if they were originally standard or undersize grips.  I took the grip off the 7 iron, did a dry fit of the grip I intended to use and it came in at a swing weight of D5.  Given that most women's iron sets have a swing weight in the C7-C9 range I was confused.  Used an 8 gram counterweight in the butt of the shaft, gripped it and "presto!" I hit my target of D0. Playing length is 37 1/2 inches, again a bit long for a set designed for women.

Looked at the 8 iron today, removed the grip, etc., etc. and once again it would have come in at D5.  Did the counterweight trick, gripped it and again, hit my D0 on the button with a playing length of D0.  Not sure if this was a custom set of some sort or what the deal is but these would have been "heavy" feeling for a LOT of golfers.

I have no real concerns at this point of how these are going to perform.  It's 27 degrees here this morning in southeastern Wisconsin and the forecast for the next few days is hideous.  I'm hoping to get to the range at least once things get a bit more bearable.

My instinct is to tell you to "go for it" and have at least one of your irons done with the "not recommended for swing speed over 50 mph".  But if you can wait a bit until I test out the newly built clubs and post here we'll at least have one guy's data to work with.  Make sense?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

16 minutes ago, Gripit said:

Yeah, I didn't go to the range, either,  To try to keep apples to apples, I actually went to 2nd swing and bought the exact driver I game in a lower loft (9*) at a pretty low price.  Installed the PLB L to 45.25" playing length and got a D2 swingweight.  First time out, I just hit some 2nd drives with the PLB.  When I was very careful with my swing, the ball flight was MAJESTIC...but the majority were a fade flight.  I felt like I had to really manipulate the club through the ball to keep it on line.  So I decided to actually PLAY for a fade (I don't normally do that) and played a couple more rounds with the PLB exclusively, using it on every tee that I could and left my trusty 3w in the bag.  The only good thing I found is that the PLB eliminated the left side miss completely; I didn't miss a fairway! But the consistent distance and feel wasn't there.  I am convinced it is my swing; I just can't seem to get myself smooth enough and I think that's why I am fading the ball.

The other thing I am wondering about is the PLB itself.  I have tried the PLB before and that shaft never ever felt good, it always had a "boardy" feel to me.  That's what's happening now.  I thought the L flex would make a difference but I am still not feeling the clubhead in the swing; so maybe the shaft "profile" is not what I need.  When I swing my gamer driver, I can feel the clubhead, but not with the PLB and the swingweight is the same.

I am still interested in this hack and am now thinking of trying a different shaft brand that has a different bend/flex/torque profile to see if that would make a difference.  But the really important thing for me is...I'm having FUN doing this! (I apologize for the long post).

This is a thread that sort of requires long posts, no worries.  Just posting "worked great" or "it sucked for me" doesn't help us grope our way through this particular maze.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

18 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

I just picked up what has turned out to be a really strange set of Adams Idea Tech V4 ladies irons.  They have a 50 gram (nominal weight of course) ladies flex shaft.  It's a 7/8/9/PW/GW set which suits me perfectly.

What's been odd about them is that the 7 iron had a Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grip that was like new and the rest of the clubs have totally shot Winn Excel wrap grips and I have no idea if they were originally standard or undersize grips.  I took the grip off the 7 iron, did a dry fit of the grip I intended to use and it came in at a swing weight of D5.  Given that most women's iron sets have a swing weight in the C7-C9 range I was confused.  Used an 8 gram counterweight in the butt of the shaft, gripped it and "presto!" I hit my target of D0. Playing length is 37 1/2 inches, again a bit long for a set designed for women.

Looked at the 8 iron today, removed the grip, etc., etc. and once again it would have come in at D5.  Did the counterweight trick, gripped it and again, hit my D0 on the button with a playing length of D0.  Not sure if this was a custom set of some sort or what the deal is but these would have been "heavy" feeling for a LOT of golfers.

I have no real concerns at this point of how these are going to perform.  It's 27 degrees here this morning in southeastern Wisconsin and the forecast for the next few days is hideous.  I'm hoping to get to the range at least once things get a bit more bearable.

My instinct is to tell you to "go for it" and have at least one of your irons done with the "not recommended for swing speed over 50 mph".  But if you can wait a bit until I test out the newly built clubs and post here we'll at least have one guy's data to work with.  Make sense?

So @Bobbersdid you pick up the ladies irons with the expectation that you would need to lengthen them to your playing length (and target swingweight)?  By adding length to the butt end, I would think that increases the flexibility of the shaft due to the added lengthy... I'm guessing that is a positive and intended outcome, rather than one to work against.  Also, you mentioned adding counterweights... what counterweights are you using in your builds?  I'm not a club builder... but I want to be sure I can talk the right language with the guy that does my building for me.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I am pretty committed to ordering a replica of my game set, but with an L flex shaft installed... of course there are some caveats to that order... like ensuring that the swing weight is where I want it to be...  But I'm also on the lookout for a used set of irons (potentially ladies irons as you found) that I might need to modify to meet the standards of this experiment.  

I wouldn't bother you with all these questions... but as you mentioned... it is currently 27 degrees in Wisconsin, so at least your response might keep your fingers warm as you type 😉 .  

Also... HUGE THANK YOU for your patience with me and everyone on this thread and your educational responses.  Props to @azstu324 for starting this thread.... along with you and all the other members participating in this thread by sharing your experiences.  This is what the MGS Forum excels in!!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

So @Bobbersdid you pick up the ladies irons with the expectation that you would need to lengthen them to your playing length (and target swingweight)?  By adding length to the butt end, I would think that increases the flexibility of the shaft due to the added lengthy... I'm guessing that is a positive and intended outcome, rather than one to work against.  Also, you mentioned adding counterweights... what counterweights are you using in your builds?  I'm not a club builder... but I want to be sure I can talk the right language with the guy that does my building for me.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I am pretty committed to ordering a replica of my game set, but with an L flex shaft installed... of course there are some caveats to that order... like ensuring that the swing weight is where I want it to be...  But I'm also on the lookout for a used set of irons (potentially ladies irons as you found) that I might need to modify to meet the standards of this experiment.  

I wouldn't bother you with all these questions... but as you mentioned... it is currently 27 degrees in Wisconsin, so at least your response might keep your fingers warm as you type 😉 .  

Also... HUGE THANK YOU for your patience with me and everyone on this thread and your educational responses.  Props to @azstu324 for starting this thread.... along with you and all the other members participating in this thread by sharing your experiences.  This is what the MGS Forum excels in!!

Places like Value Golf and Billy Bob's sell what are described at "counterweights" in any variety of weights ranging from like 4 grams up to 32 grams or more.  There are weights specifically for graphite shafts as well as ones for steel shafts.  The steel shafted ones can go as high as 80 grams or more as they're often used a la the Stroke Lab putter shafts, to really counterbalance the shaft to get a pretty "light" feel in the putter head and allow much more of a "stroke" than a really heavy head weight putter allows.  Boccieri, with their "heavy" putters, which didn't do particularly well in the mass market, created a putter where the difference between a three inch back stroke and a four inch back stroke was HUGE in terms of how far the ball rolled.

Your builder should be pretty familiar with them.  The perceived difference in your hand when using a butt counter weight is pretty negligible given that the weight is literally "in your hand" and there's no fulcrum effect in play.  That's as opposed to weights that go in the tip of the shaft.  Those, while they may help hit a target swing weight, can play hell with where the "sweet spot" of the club head ends up.  That applies to pouring tungsten powder down the shaft, it might help hit a target weight but the dynamics of the club's subsequent performance are going to, 99 times out of 100, be very different than before the alteration was made.

Yes, I was expecting to perhaps have to extend the clubs I bought to hit my targets, I simply got lucky with the set that arrived, getting them ready to go is going to be a breeze; and if it turns out I don't like them I'll have something that'll be worth more than I paid for them so it's all good.

The major manufacturers make "demo heads" for use, cleverly enough, on the demo days they hold, for their major lines.  Next season, as they "update", those heads are typically a dime a dozen.  Often it's a 7 iron, sometimes a 6 iron.  If it were me?  I'd look to have ONE club made, I believe I've read you're playing the Stealth irons?  A full set can come later if the idea works out for you.  Again, that's just me.

As to answering questions, sharing experience, etc., eh, it's cold out, I'm retired, got all my wife's Christmas gifts wrapped, I've got the time and I'm happy to use it to try and help out.  So no one, you or anyone else, should ever hesitate to ask.  If I know, I'll share.  By the same token I don't portray myself as a "guru", if I don't know I'll say that as well rather than make up bull &*^ and hope no one realizes I'm clueless.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

PSA to check your local PGASS too. Found some pro launch 45r in this bin today. 
A1F87DAD-7C12-4C5A-9C9A-9E0ED4F521CF.jpeg

F571A54D-D161-417C-B6BC-5649BB5F102C.jpeg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

The only PGASS in our neck of the woods is, of all things, located literally in the airport concourse.  So it's not real big, sells mostly clothes, and doesn't, sadly, have room for wonderful barrels like this. Congrats on your good fortune.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

10 hours ago, Bobbers said:

Confidence can be hard to come by and "here today/gone tomorrow" for me personally.

The way this thread has evolved since Stu started it is, in my opinion, the way it's supposed to be.  Some people have success, some don't, suggestions are made,ideas are developed and shared, experiences and facts are posted, etc.  It's the way, again just my opinion, these things are supposed to go.

Civilized discussion and working toward a common goal is so much more enjoyable and productive than forums where someone offers an idea and shares a thought only to be met with the "what the HELL are you doing that for?  Don't you know REAL men only use iron rebar for golf shafts??!?"  Those folks are not interested, apparently, in "how can we make this better?" as much as they are interested in "how can I shout down everyone who doesn't agree with me and turn this into my own personal echo chamber?"

So yeah, I concur with your thoughts on  how this has been a great thread and singling out Stu for starting it.  It's been a fun ride thus far and I know I myself am looking forward to seeing how it plays out and grows.  Well said, Bang.

I've followed my teaching Pro's advise on my golf equipment all 40ish years I've played, after my months long sleep 3 years ago I must have dreams of learning about building/damage golf clubs lol. Now I learn from all you GUYS who are brave enough to post your experience with golf club repair etc and I reciprocate hoping I can help those starting out, I like the civilized chat to and fro about what we're doing and how this is the best way imho etc etc... 

I look fwd to this BLOG every day, could be several times a day lol...

21 hours ago, Bang60 said:

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Wish those stores were here...

Edited by Bang60
Error

8 hours ago, Bobbers said:

As to answering questions, sharing experience, etc., eh, it's cold out, I'm retired, got all my wife's Christmas gifts wrapped...

Good grief.  I'm retired too, it's also getting cold out, and I'M NOWHERE NEAR ANYTHING CHRISTMAS YET!  Is there a "jealous" emoji I can use?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash, 9degree, Stock Green EvenFlow 45g, 5.0

3w: Callaway Epic Flash, 15degree, Stock Green EvenFlow, R

(Hobbyist; work on my own clubs for fun:)

3h, 4h, 5h: Maltby M890 (Maltby Pro Series Hybrid shaft, R)

Acer Pro XV 6-Gw (Recoil 660 R)

54*w, 58*w: Maltby TSW (Maltby Pro Series S...using the "spinner shaft" hack, lol)

Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled Putter, 35", plus 2' loft

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm looking for a cheap tsi driver head only to go with my lady shaft, thoughts of lots of them on eBay now TSR is all the rage but it appears not so much but there's one but am I lucky lol ??