Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Best Launch Monitor for High School Golf Team

charlescooper26

I am head coach for a high school golf team.  We have budgeted about $2000 for a launch monitor.  Does anyone have a suggestions?  It needs to be used by about 14 golfers.  Also, have to share it with both boys and girls teams.  Would we be better to purchase two monitors and go will a less expensive one?  We are using it for swing speed and to dial in the average distance for our clubs.  

CC

You might check out something like the Garmin R10. If you're using it outdoors, it's plenty accurate as far as I've seen. Each student could have the Garmin Golf app on their phone, and basically keep their own sessions for analysis and review. I think it's selling for around $600, so you should be able to get at least a couple. At that $2000 price point, I think you're better off going "multiple $500-700 units" vs. a single $2K device. At the $4-5K price point, I think it's probably a different conversation.

Id check out the flightscope mevo+. plenty of other parameters monitored easy to set up.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

9 hours ago, charlescooper26 said:

We are using it for swing speed and to dial in the average distance for our clubs.  

IF that’s all you want it for (nothing wrong with that), a Garmin R10 ($600?) or Mevo ($400-500) should be fine. Spending $2000 for a better launch monitor probably isn’t worth it. Buy one or two Mevo’s and use the leftover $ for something else for the team. Once swing speed and distances are established for everyone, you won’t need the LM’s as much. I have to assume all the players already have a pretty good idea what their distances and gaps are.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

Is it for indoor & outdoor use?  If indoors does the $2k include mats, nets, etc and is there a need / interest for simulator graphics if your weather gets bad for long stretches?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend you buy two monitors. The people above discussed Garmin, it's a nice one, my team has such. That's so a useful thing and I started to go to golf training more often after my trainer bought it. I've even skipped some other lessons (fortunately, this source https://plainmath.net/ saves me from bad marks) to spend more time on a golf court. So buy it faster! Teens enjoy technology.

Edited by brewerislands

I guess Rapsodo could be an option as well as it is easy to setup, can be used indoors and for SS and more of a training tool it certainly could meet your requirements. There are also a few reviews here for them!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 5:58 AM, goaliedad30 said:

You might check out something like the Garmin R10. If you're using it outdoors, it's plenty accurate as far as I've seen. Each student could have the Garmin Golf app on their phone, and basically keep their own sessions for analysis and review. I think it's selling for around $600, so you should be able to get at least a couple. At that $2000 price point, I think you're better off going "multiple $500-700 units" vs. a single $2K device. At the $4-5K price point, I think it's probably a different conversation.

Cool advice. For students, it is ideal and really better to take at least two monitors.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for app and iPhone based launch monitor recommendations?   Any suggestions where to start?

Lee Stanek

Driver: Taylormade.jpg.9d38498f8a6006a57c3d138bbf9964b9.jpg  SIM2 Max 9*

3,9 Woods:  Callaway.jpg.c961807c499184adde0c3ed28e3f228d.jpg S2H2 Big Bertha

4-9i,PW,SW Callaway.jpg.c961807c499184adde0c3ed28e3f228d.jpg  S2H2

GW Taylormade.jpg.9d38498f8a6006a57c3d138bbf9964b9.jpg MG3 52*

LW Adams GT2 Undercut 60*

Putter: Titleist.jpg.371c05d2e7430a89639ff5927b325962.jpg  Scotty Cameron Caliente

Ball: Play either Titleist.jpg.371c05d2e7430a89639ff5927b325962.jpg ProV1 or  

15 hours ago, Lee Stanek said:

Looking for app and iPhone based launch monitor recommendations?   Any suggestions where to start?

SkyTrak would be my suggestion. It does Android, PC and Apple and the camera based system is one of the best ones in it's price range.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

• 6 months later...

charlescooper26 - I'm curious, a year later, what you went with and if you feel you made the right decision and why. I'm contemplating the same. HS boys and girls team looking to stay active over the offseason. Did you go with a full sim setup? Use indoor and/or at a range? Any risk of theft or anything else you wish you would have had in mind? Thanks.