Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

WEEK 18 & 19 - MYGOLFSPY FORUM MEMBER Virtual Weekly Championship Tour

Tournament Dates: 01/23/2023 - 02/05/2023

MyGolfSpy Forum Member
Weekly Championship Tour
Season 1
January 23 through February 5
Pos. Player Course Name Gross Score Course Handicap Gross Strokes over/under par Net Score to Par Net Score
1 Key West Golf Club 80 13 10 -3 67
T2 Old Natchez 76 5 6 1 71
T2 Surrey Hills 73 1 2 1 72
T2 Harpeth Hills 74 1 2 1 73
T5 Bay Forest Golf Course 80 6 8 2 74
T5 West Lothian Golf Course 71 5 7 2 66
T7 Gunter’s Lake 93 18 21 3 75
T7 Heritage Isles 84 9 12 3 75
T7 Surrey Hills 75 1 4 3 74
T10 Cypress Creek 80 4 8 4 76
T10 Key West Golf Club 87 13 17 4 74
T10 Angel Park Mountain 97 22 26 4 75
T13 Key West Golf Club 88 13 18 5 75
T13 Scepter Ibis/Osprey 92 16 21 5 76
T13 Heritage Isles 86 9 14 5 77
T13 Durango Hills 80 17 22 5 63
17 Surrey Hills 79 1 8 7 78
18 Boulder Creek Golf Club 101 21 29 8 80
19 Heritage Isles 91 9 19 10 82
20 Tierra Rejada 97 10 25 15 87
21 Glendoveer G&TC East Course 126 35 54 19 91

@Golfspy_TCB, you are too kind.   Given the next closest course is 60 miles away, I am sort of held captive at the Southernmost golf course in America.  For those who have played it know that it's not the longest course, however it's tight, has small well protected greens, lots of water and carries over mangroves.  Throw in the changing wind strengths and directions and it's always a challenge.  Just look at my other two high scores listed this week!  From those scores, you can see I have no problem stopping myself!  The low round was just one of those days when my short game was dead on.  It was the best short game day I've ever had.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

@snicerz, how much elevation change is there on hole 5?  Are your conditions usually fairly dry?  Do you attribute any of your success to your speed training?

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

7 minutes ago, Mr. Mushball said:

@snicerz, how much elevation change is there on hole 5?  Are your conditions usually fairly dry?  Do you attribute any of your success to your speed training?

According to Google Earth about 15 ft from the tee box to the green. It's a crazy hole. You are hitting your drive up the hill. If you can get the ball over the crest it will run for days. If you land the ball over the crest, it's gone to the woods. I usually find mine near the tree line since I cant quite get it to carry the hill.

Conditions are very dry here. The course has seen better days and they are trying to bring it back to it's best condition. Still, the grass is thin and it's normal to hit of hard dirt when you are the fairway on some holes. 

Speed training has definitely helped me get longer. I was hitting the gym pretty hard too and that definitely helped too but I've been away from it for a while due to family stuff.

What's helped the most is lessons. I can't emphasize it enough. I haven't been playing long but as soon as I was hooked on golf, I started looking for an instructor. I tried a few local course pros but they just didn't click for me. Tried a swing eval at Golftec, the coach I met seemed to be able to dial into my way of learning within that short eval and I liked his personality. Don't get me wrong, golf is still a struggle sometimes but I hit the ball pretty consistently now. Getting consistent contact in the sweet spot is what has added the most distance to my game and helped me lower my scores the most. 

To be clear, my normal, non wind assisted, non hill assited drives are around the 280 mark. I know I can control the swing at that speed. Occasionally, I'll get ahold of one that gets to 300+ but my stock shot is 280. 

• Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 9* Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Rouge ST Max 3W w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-AW
  • TaylorMade Hi-Toe RAW 54-10 & 58-10 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests:

2 hours ago, snicerz said:

According to Google Earth about 15 ft from the tee box to the green. It's a crazy hole. You are hitting your drive up the hill. If you can get the ball over the crest it will run for days. If you land the ball over the crest, it's gone to the woods. I usually find mine near the tree line since I cant quite get it to carry the hill.

Conditions are very dry here. The course has seen better days and they are trying to bring it back to it's best condition. Still, the grass is thin and it's normal to hit of hard dirt when you are the fairway on some holes. 

Speed training has definitely helped me get longer. I was hitting the gym pretty hard too and that definitely helped too but I've been away from it for a while due to family stuff.

What's helped the most is lessons. I can't emphasize it enough. I haven't been playing long but as soon as I was hooked on golf, I started looking for an instructor. I tried a few local course pros but they just didn't click for me. Tried a swing eval at Golftec, the coach I met seemed to be able to dial into my way of learning within that short eval and I liked his personality. Don't get me wrong, golf is still a struggle sometimes but I hit the ball pretty consistently now. Getting consistent contact in the sweet spot is what has added the most distance to my game and helped me lower my scores the most. 

To be clear, my normal, non wind assisted, non hill assited drives are around the 280 mark. I know I can control the swing at that speed. Occasionally, I'll get ahold of one that gets to 300+ but my stock shot is 280. 

I also agree with the lessons, though your training seems to be more effective than mine as I'm still a 37+ handicap. 🙂   I have back stability issues though, so getting a consistent swing has been impossible.  PT has been a big improvement and I'm looking to drop soon.  Maybe it's time to start looking for a new coach as well and see if I can get down to being a mid handicap.

I was curious of the terrain because based on your swing speed from the chart on the Off-Season Swing Speed Training thread there had to be something more in play, 350 just didn't math out.  Elevation changes were't apparent from the flyover video the course has as it's top-down drone footage.

I imagine @Blueberry_Squishie has a similarly favorable hole for long drives.  

Edited by Mr. Mushball

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

Yeah #5 is a cheater hole for long drive for sure. Especially with a strong South wind, it just funnels the ball where it needs to go. #4 is fun too, on those 20-30 mph days, I can get a 4 hybrid to the creek if I hit it well. Always feels bad having a 230 yard drive on 1 and 3 only to blast the hybrid 250+ yards. It's a tough course but still fun.

• Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 9* Driver w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Rouge ST Max 3W w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft 
  • Callaway Mavrik 4Hy
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-AW
  • TaylorMade Hi-Toe RAW 54-10 & 58-10 
  • L.A.B. MEZZ. 1 w/ ACCRA x L.A.B. Shaft (RIP: TaylorMade TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3)
  • Titleist Pro V1x

Apps/Systems I use:

Tests: