Music on the Golf Course?

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The two times we were paired up with golfers wearing ear buds, they were both basically anti social. They kept to themselves and as I said, we couldn't talk to them without them removing their ear buds and seemingly annoyed at the intrusion into their private world. After several holes, ignoring them as that seemed like their wish, was not a problem but still just a little awkward. 

All absolutely true, and not my “cup of tea” — or tee. However, if the other golfer is clearly introverted or anti-social, you won’t get much out of them, even if he/she is not wearing ear buds.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 3/28/2024 at 6:23 AM, BaldJohnMD said:

Here is my golf playlist for music friendly scrambles. Every song has something related to

golf in the lyrics. 

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3RjRaln_tLHIROgguKse9ozZM2DcSSor&si=6rgxqhQMme1a3f6o

If you saw some of the people with whom I play golf, you would probably drop “Sharp Dressed Man” from your playlist.

Spoiler

Revisiting this thread made me think about the following:

The course where I play in my Monday (and sometimes Wednesday) evening golf leagues is in a complex that includes a swim club that is behind the practice range and right between the 6th and 10th holes (and very close to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th holes). During the summer months, the swim club has very loud music blasting, and it can be heard pretty much all over the golf course, although not too loudly around the 11th green, 7th green , and 13th/14th holes. In addition, there are ball fields, tennis courts and soccer fields adjacent to the 15th through 17th holes and there is often music playing at these venues. Having played golf at this course for about 19-20 years, I have gotten used to the cacophony.

One other thing that this brought to mind, and Siamese Moose probably remembers this — Back in 2004 I was on a golf trip in the Jacksonville, FL area, and we made a side trip down to the Ocean Hammock course in Palm Harbor (we were supposed to play the TPC Course at Ponte Vedra that day, but they were aerating the greens). While playing our round some very loud music started blanketing the course. I immediately recognized it as Sheryl Crow, and thought briefly that it was recorded music. Then, I heard her voice shouting instructions and the sound guy talking to the musicians. Come to find out, she was doing a sound check for a concert that she was doing that evening at the club. I will never forget the sight of my dear friend, Mel Avanzado (a prominent corporate and entertainment attorney from Los Angeles), dancing in the fairway to Ms. Crow and her band as they did their sound check.  Of course, I had to join in the dancing!

Spoiler

I think music can be OK on the course as long as it isn't overly loud. I can't stand it when I'm riding in a cart with someone who is playing their music so loud you feel like you have to raise your voice just to talk.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

I have the Bushnell Wingman with GPS and use it every round. My buddy, a little older, likes the 50s/60s/70s sounds which we play on the front nine. I'm more 70s/80s/90s and change up at the turn. I once played with someone who couldn't stand the sound of birds on the golf course. I once ate dinner with someone who made us move to the other side of a restaurant because he didn't like the sound of a babbling brook. I don't understand some people. 

Taylormade Stealth 2 HD Driver-3wood-5wood

Ping G430 4 hybrid

G425 irons

Ping Tomcat putter

I always play music when playing, but I keep it down and ask the group beforehand if they mind my music.....of so I would go without but hasn't happened yet. It helps keep me loose during the round and helps after a bad shot.

⛳⛳

I don't Listen to music most of the time, but when I do it's the theme to Jurrasic Park.

Taylormade SIM 2 Plus Driver 9" with Project X RDX 70 Gram stiff shaft.

SIM 2 3 Wood titanium  with Project X RDX stiff shaft.

Sonartech 19 degree Hybrid

Taylormade M5 Irons 4 thru AW with X100 stiff shafts.

Callaway Xhot 56 degree Sand wedge with XP95 rugular flex shaft.

Callaway X14 pro series 60 degree Lob wedge with Project X flighted stiff shaft.

Ping Sigma 2 putter

Ball is Titleist Pro V1

I love listening to music while playing.  Don't blast it too loud though because I consider other groups that may not like it. 

I want to golf with Charles Barkley!!

Driver- Taylormade R1 9 degree stiff shaft

Fairway Wood- Taylormade Burner 3 wood

Hybrid- Taylormade Burner 3 wood Hybrid

Irons- Taylormade Sim 2 irons 5-AW

Wedges- Taylormade Mill Grind 3 (52, 58)

Putter- Fussell putter (I won in a raffle)

No music. Period. Engage with your partner(s). Appreciate your surroundings. 

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.5’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 19.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:       :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

4 hours ago, crickster said:

I don't Listen to music most of the time, but when I do it's the theme to Jurrasic Park.

Yeah, walk up music to the first tee would be the theme from Jaws.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

4 hours ago, MCMSR said:

... While I certainly respect your opinion, you really can do both if desired. As I have stated many times in this thread I play my music to keep me company while walking the course. You can't hear it at all from 10 feet away. But even walking with it accompanying all 4 of us walking together we can still hear every bird chirp and the wind in the air and most definitely appreciate our surroundings. Best of both worlds for us. 

... We live in a polarized world and there are extremes in everything it seems. As so many have posted here, keep your music at a respectful level and everyone can enjoy their round in the manor they prefer. LOUD music is just never an option. I played with a gentleman in a cart and when he came over to bump fists at the end of the round next to my cart he heard the music for the first time and said I should have played it the entire round. He was a little surprised when I told him I did. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I do enjoy music while I play, but I walk so I'm generally a distance away from the others in the group. I keep it only loud enough that I can hear it, and muted on the tee box and greens. I find that it helps me to not over think my shots, and gives me a sense of tempo. 

18 holes, golf buddies, cocktails, and a good cigar. That is the way. 

Was never a fan of music and then I thought to myself, am I becoming a grouchy old fart? Ended up buying a Bushnell Wingman and always ask before pulling it out of the bag. Helps if you are waiting for a slow group ahead to keep my mind off waiting. Don't use it every round and not a huge country fan but no issues with others using their's unless it is in a tournament setting. Then I feel it is a no go. I guess I'm broadening my horizons as I approach 60!

I'm getting old and have to admit I'm with Judge Smails on this one, "Turn it off".  If I can hear music on the tee box or while I'm putting I don't like it.  Some people are respectful and keep the volume down.  Others blast.  I find it messes with my rhythm.  When I practice my putting on the practice green, I will put in my buds, and play something slow and rhythmic which helps.  Heavy metal or a fast bass tempo changes my tempo. 

Driver: Callaway Epic

Irons: 4-PW Callaway Apex 

Wedges: 1 Vokey in 52, 1 Callaway in 60, and a Callaway in 56

Putter:  All over the place, Titleist SC Circa 62 model 3 mostly in the bag.

20 hours ago, MCMSR said:

Reverend Moore here, preaching No Music. There is plenty of engaging on the tee box and on the green. And, great music only enhances your surroundings, it's like adding a soundtrack to reality. 

18 holes, golf buddies, cocktails, and a good cigar. That is the way. 

golf isn't cheap and you're out there for a long time. I'm not saying it's okay to disturb others (people that drive around blasting their car stereo, I'm looking at you) but if you want to listen to some tunes while you play that's your prerogative...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

i love music, i thought i was ok with it until 1 day a friend of mine blast a music loud enough for me to hear and it started screwing my rhythm. 

So no! no music at all! I love golf not just for the game itself but also the quietness out in the nature. I’ve had too much noise daily, i don’t need anymore distraction. 

i understand some people would have so much fun with music, i wish some people would be more considerate with others. Golf is already hard enough… please don’t make it harder for those who really need to be quite to get in the zone 😭

N/A

On 7/9/2023 at 4:22 PM, Ron Folkinga said:

What are your thoughts about music while playing golf? I've played about four or five rounds with a guy I ran into last summer. He is a friend of a friend who I had met once before but didn't know at all. He insists on bringing a speaker and installing it on the cart and playing 70's rock all day long while playing. The first few times it didn't bother me too much but I still wasn't wild about it. The last couple of times it really started bugging me and affecting my game. For the record we're both in our 60's and I love music. I have a nice stereo set up at home and love listening to good music. I like a lot of different genres and I do listen to some oldies once in a while. But four and half hours of listening to 70's rock just doesn't do it for me. The last time we played we were on the first tee and on came Bob Segar's "Old Time Rock and Roll." I just couldn't take it any more and asked him politely if we could just cut the music this time. He seemed somewhat offended even though he insisted he wasn't. He replied that he would agree "this one time." He's never asked if music bothers anyone and if anyone so much as makes a peep while he's on the tee box he has no problem turning around and giving them a dirty look. 

What do you think, pro music or no music?

I can listen to music anytime.  It's my music on my time.  I play golf to get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life.  It's a quiet time for me.  

When I'm paired with strangers most of the time they're polite enough to ask.  I'm polite enough to say, I'd rather you not.  Most of the time, that's where it ends.

Sometimes I get paired with someone that will just turn it on without even asking.  I consider that pretty rude. So, I have no issues asking them to turn it down, at least while we're on the tee.  I'm from Minnesota, we're known for our passive aggressiveness.  If they're also from around here, they'll pick up on the hint and just turn it off.

:mizuno-small: ST-X 230, 9.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR, 7-X

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus, 15°, Accra FX 2.0 370 M4

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB, 3-4, Graphic Design Tour AD-95, X-Flex

:mizuno-small: MP-20, MMC, 5-PW, Nippon Modus 2.0 Tour 120, S-Flex

:mizuno-small: T-24, 50°, 55°, 60°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

:mizuno-small: M.Craft II

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS

:Arccos: 

I listen to music when I play and ear buds when I’m on the range. If I’m playing with someone new, I always ask, no one has ever said no. I also ask what type of music they like, I can listen to almost every type of music. I did come across a guy that brought a giant speaker and was blasting it across the course, that is too much. Low volume that you can barely hear past your cart is perfect.

Rick Leiker

On 4/11/2024 at 8:28 AM, MCMSR said:

It is entirely possible to do all three, and many of us do….

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

13 hours ago, pete1276 said:

I'm from Minnesota, we're known for our passive aggressiveness.  If they're also from around here, they'll pick up on the hint and just turn it off.

Aaaaah, good old "Minnesota Nice" 🤣

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

I am not a fan. I love music, have over 1000 albums and 1000 CDs. So it's not like I don't appreciate a good tune. But there is a time and place for everything. It's either juvenile or a stupid fad for those who insist on being noticed. It's like being stuck in traffic and being next to some guy who blasts his music so loud that everyone hears it. If you really need to hear music while on the course wear headphones for god's sake. Also, it's just common courtesy. Where has that gone? Why do I have to listen to music the 4some behind me is playing? The answer is: I shouldn't  have to. Thanks for getting me all riled up!!

7 hours ago, mpgolf18 said:

I am not a fan. I love music, have over 1000 albums and 1000 CDs. So it's not like I don't appreciate a good tune. But there is a time and place for everything. It's either juvenile or a stupid fad for those who insist on being noticed. It's like being stuck in traffic and being next to some guy who blasts his music so loud that everyone hears it. If you really need to hear music while on the course wear headphones for god's sake. Also, it's just common courtesy. Where has that gone? Why do I have to listen to music the 4some behind me is playing? The answer is: I shouldn't  have to. Thanks for getting me all riled up!!

I get it on the course but in the car, some music just needs to be played loud. Definitely not attention, music loud is powerful for our endorphin release!!

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

I don’t find music on the golf course offensive on its face but I’m generally a fan of hearing birds, the breeze through the trees and clubhouse and golf course chatter.  I play golf partly to get away from the endless music  I hear at stores, restaurants, home and almost literally everywhere I go.  Peace and quiet is relaxing but if someone wants to fire up some music, that’s cool.  

Lefty

3-6 HDCP

PXG Gen 5 Driver and 3W - Diamana white board 60S

PXG Gen 4 19* and 22* hybrids - Aldila NV green 80S

Cobra Forged Tech 6-GW - KBS Tour Light S flex

Sub 70 56* and 60* wedges -KBS Tour S flex

SeeMore PLATINUM M5 HT MALLET OFFSET

I think music at a respectable volume isn’t an issue for most people that I play golf with. From my own experience, I don’t “hear” the music when I am preparing for my shot. I really only listen to it in between shots. I agree with most, I shouldn’t be able to hear it from another fairway, unless my ball ended up in your fairway 😂