Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How important is a good backswing for you ?

My backswing is slow to the top and then rip through impact. I’m getting older so the backswing is shorter than I would like. Partially due to previous injuries. But I make the best of what I got to work with.

If it’s a practice session or “on course” play the sequence and timing are the same. My goal for 2024 is to work on increasing the length a little bit more.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have been working on swing changes and the backswing has been a major focus in order to get the downswing lined up better.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I find that if I get my backswing right it makes my downswing so much better. I also notice when I shorten up the backswing I make much better contact with the ball even though I don't feel like I'm creating the same amount of power.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

Been working on it a lot! Have a drill and a feel from Monte Scheinblum that I'm practicing practicing practicing.

For me getting a better movement pattern to start the golf swing leads into a better chance to strike the ball more solidly, and more consistently. 

Work In Progress!!

Happy '24!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The backswing is the thing I practice the most, hands down. I have a number of good feels/motions from lessons that I work on all year long. When I get all that put together correctly, the downswing is automatic.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Here is a cool find 

what I’m working on now with tst academy instructor. But he has me look at my backswing first. When right I come down into the ball. I found a mirror app on iPad or I can use a mirror. And when it is in a good position at the top the whole swing kinda meshes together. I’ve always fought a flying elbow. Which would get me super stuck on way down. Massive inside out and hooks 

The only thing I think about on the backswing is length for yardage control on in between iron shots or mostly wedge shots.   I don't think about parallel position hand orientation, wrist pronation, swing path, takeaway, inhaling or exhaling, eyes open or closed, etc. because that makes it too complicated for me .  I am a simple "see ball - hit ball" type of player!  

The action I think about the most during a swing is bringing the clubface into the back of the ball as straight as possible with the face in a square position.  I guess that makes me more of a hands player than large muscle player.  It also probably means I have a lot of "flaws" in my swing.

Other than that if I need to work the ball I think about hand position in the finish, high for a fade and low for a draw.

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I don't think much about the backswing, except getting more wrist cock; I have crap wrists.  My focus is more on contact and followthrough for better compression... work in progress!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My backswing focus is to try and avoid the overswing.  If I can avoid it, I feel like my swing is much better.  It was also a focal point during my last set of lessons;  he had my feel like my swing stopped when the club was pointing at the sky.

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Probably too much. It seems to set the entire plane and sequence of events for me from there. The adage of "you don't hit it with your backswing" I think is a little disingenuous. If you have a horrible backswing (however that is defined) there will be a great deal to try to overcome in the less than half a second you have in the downswing. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Per Bradley Hughes a good backswing is important tool to a better swing. He doesn’t believe in a one backswing for all. Which is inline with most other instructors, there’s a window of variability in backswings which is also something Bradley talks about in his ebook.

We can look at how different Rory is from Wolff or couples from Tiger. There are lots of backswings out there.

What’s key though is pressure shifts and marching up transition/downswing with what the person is doing. The more the club is out of position the more work the person has to do in a short period of time to get the club in the right spot at p5-5.5 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 4 weeks later...