Jump to content
Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Which staff deal should I go with?!?!


bhd84

Recommended Posts

Hey guys! I have a couple of staff deals available to me and I wanted a couple of opinions on what I should do with. I have the choice between srixon and cobra, both deals come with 14 clubs of which I have to carry 10 in the bag, doesn't matter which 10. Currently I play with a tsr3 driver, paradym 3hl and 7 wood, P790 4-9, vokeys pw-lw...... Which would you guys pick? How would you set up your bag?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, congrats first off haha that’s a sweet deal.

Between the two, I’d probably pick Cobra based on the new Darkspeed line and cobra iron reviews. That being said the Srixon irons do feel amazing, probably the best feeling irons during my fitting.

For my bag I’d go with the Darkspeeds in the woods/hybrids, and probably their forgedtec irons (coming from T200s).

  • Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

 2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)

-TJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Srixon, you get a lot more with them as they make more than just clubs.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a long time Cobra fan, have to go with them here. They have a great lineup of clubs and well have been a big supporter of the forum for many many years. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a tough choice. I know the main site has said a lot of great things about Srixon and as @DiscipleofPenickstated, they do produce more than clubs.

I'm personally more of a Cobra guy, they make great clubs that have traditionally performed well in member testing and they do support the forum. 

I would personally go Cobra carrying 10 clubs and test out different wedges (although I do love the SnakeBite) and putter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cobra - better woods and I’d argue their irons are extremely underrated.

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bhd84 said:

Hey guys! I have a couple of staff deals available to me and I wanted a couple of opinions on what I should do with. I have the choice between srixon and cobra, both deals come with 14 clubs of which I have to carry 10 in the bag, doesn't matter which 10. Currently I play with a tsr3 driver, paradym 3hl and 7 wood, P790 4-9, vokeys pw-lw...... Which would you guys pick? How would you set up your bag?

Srixon!!!  Zx7, golf balls!  
 

Unless they are giving you cobra/puma.  Then you would get some nice clothes as well.  But srixon/Cleveland seems to check all the equipment boxes.

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can go with Cleveland wedges and have that count towards your 10, I’d go with Srixon. Otherwise I’d probably lean towards Cobra. But it’s a close call either way. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you played either of their new drivers or irons?  What are you keeping in the bag?  I'd say the Cobra irons would be a good start from my perspective.  Which models are they offering?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off, congrats. Second, I'm super jealous. :-)

Those are 2 great options to be sure. One thing you'll need to do is lay out your 14 clubs and decide what you absolutely won't remove under the threat of death. Then, take the rest of the slots and compare and contrast the options from both companies. If you're in p790's now, it's unlikely you'll want Z-Forged irons or Darkspeed irons. So, some things will get eliminated right off the top.

Srixon (not including previous gens) - 3 drivers, 1 fw wood, 1 hybrid, 1 utility, 4 irons, balls, no wedges. If Cleveland is included, you'll have access to their drivers/fww/hybrids/irons/wedges/putters, etc.

Cobra (not including one length and previous gens) - 3 drivers, 3 fw woods, 2 hybrids, 1 utility, 6 irons, 2 wedges, 30+ putters. If Puma is included, you'll have access to all their clothes and shoes.

There are definitely pros and cons on both sides for sure. Access to Puma and Cleveland may be deciding factors in the end.

I don't envy you having to make this decision, but be sure to have fun with it regardless of what you decide.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a thought exercise perspective this is fun.

If you are truly a golf pro that joined 13 hours ago and your first post is asking an internet golf forum what staff deal you should go with to set up how well you will play to earn your livelihood for the next season then this is just scary.  You should already know the answer is demo clubs from each OEM and get fit and see what works best for your game.

Now back to the thought exercise just for fun.  Like Preeway said as long as Cleveland wedges count towards your 10 I'm going Srixon all day.  You really can't go wrong with Srixon irons and Cleveland wedges are fantastic.  I'd keep our current driver, woods and putter, then between irons and wedges you've got your 10 clubs.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2024 at 10:50 PM, hckymeyer said:

From a thought exercise perspective this is fun.

If you are truly a golf pro that joined 13 hours ago and your first post is asking an internet golf forum what staff deal you should go with to set up how well you will play to earn your livelihood for the next season then this is just scary.  You should already know the answer is demo clubs from each OEM and get fit and see what works best for your game.

Now back to the thought exercise just for fun.  Like Preeway said as long as Cleveland wedges count towards your 10 I'm going Srixon all day.  You really can't go wrong with Srixon irons and Cleveland wedges are fantastic.  I'd keep our current driver, woods and putter, then between irons and wedges you've got your 10 clubs.

I don't believe I ever said I was a golf pro, you don't have to go pro to get a staff deal. While I'm not a pro golfer, I am a golf professional, BIG difference. I'm the tournament director at a very exclusive/prestigious club. I don't have to play well to make my living, but I do play quite a bit with our members. That being said the reps from both Cobra and Srixon/Cleveland said they'd be happy to give me a staff deal just to get their products in friendly hands and in front of our members as all of our pro pro's are already in staff deals with Titlist, TaylorMade, Callaway, and Ping. Make sense?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2024 at 8:46 PM, Shrek74 said:

First off, congrats. Second, I'm super jealous. 🙂

Those are 2 great options to be sure. One thing you'll need to do is lay out your 14 clubs and decide what you absolutely won't remove under the threat of death. Then, take the rest of the slots and compare and contrast the options from both companies. If you're in p790's now, it's unlikely you'll want Z-Forged irons or Darkspeed irons. So, some things will get eliminated right off the top.

Srixon (not including previous gens) - 3 drivers, 1 fw wood, 1 hybrid, 1 utility, 4 irons, balls, no wedges. If Cleveland is included, you'll have access to their drivers/fww/hybrids/irons/wedges/putters, etc.

Cobra (not including one length and previous gens) - 3 drivers, 3 fw woods, 2 hybrids, 1 utility, 6 irons, 2 wedges, 30+ putters. If Puma is included, you'll have access to all their clothes and shoes.

There are definitely pros and cons on both sides for sure. Access to Puma and Cleveland may be deciding factors in the end.

I don't envy you having to make this decision, but be sure to have fun with it regardless of what you decide.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
 

Yea, this is tough lol!! Cleveland is indeed included with Srixon, and Puma is included with Cobra further complicating my choice lol. The Srixon deal would come with some apparel as well, but it's from Asics which I don't think I'm too interested in, but I do want those Cleveland wedges.... I also want that new dark horse driver. I'd say the only club in my bag I am super attached to is my trusty 7w everything else goes in an out of the bag on a whim anyways. I've only had the 790's for half a season as an experiment so I switched those and my x-forged out constantly which would in turn switch my whole bag set up around 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, bhd84 said:

Yea, this is tough lol!! Cleveland is indeed included with Srixon, and Puma is included with Cobra further complicating my choice lol. The Srixon deal would come with some apparel as well, but it's from Asics which I don't think I'm too interested in, but I do want those Cleveland wedges.... I also want that new dark horse driver. I'd say the only club in my bag I am super attached to is my trusty 7w everything else goes in an out of the bag on a whim anyways. I've only had the 790's for half a season as an experiment so I switched those and my x-forged out constantly which would in turn switch my whole bag set up around 

I can always take those p790’s off your hands.  You won’t have to worry about them.

🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, bhd84 said:

I don't believe I ever said I was a golf pro, you don't have to go pro to get a staff deal. While I'm not a pro golfer, I am a golf professional, BIG difference. I'm the tournament director at a very exclusive/prestigious club. I don't have to play well to make my living, but I do play quite a bit with our members. That being said the reps from both Cobra and Srixon/Cleveland said they'd be happy to give me a staff deal just to get their products in friendly hands and in front of our members as all of our pro pro's are already in staff deals with Titlist, TaylorMade, Callaway, and Ping. Make sense?

Sorry man, I made an assumption and as usual made an @ss out of myself 🙂  Sounds like for many of us you have the dream job 🙂

I would really look at it based on irons.  Would you rather play Cobra or Srixon irons?  For me Srixon wins that battle, but I don't really think there is a wrong answer.  From the sounds of it if you go Cobra you are probably looking at irons and top end of the bag?  If you go Srixon it's irons and wedges?  So you just have to ask would you rather have freedom to experiment with the top end, or bottom end of the bag?  Or another way to ask, would you rather have to buy your own driver, or your own wedges?

This sounds like a fun problem to have, best of luck on your decision!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Sorry man, I made an assumption and as usual made an @ss out of myself 🙂  Sounds like for many of us you have the dream job 🙂

I would really look at it based on irons.  Would you rather play Cobra or Srixon irons?  For me Srixon wins that battle, but I don't really think there is a wrong answer.  From the sounds of it if you go Cobra you are probably looking at irons and top end of the bag?  If you go Srixon it's irons and wedges?  So you just have to ask would you rather have freedom to experiment with the top end, or bottom end of the bag?  Or another way to ask, would you rather have to buy your own driver, or your own wedges?

This sounds like a fun problem to have, best of luck on your decision!

So you obviously learned how to do that from me??? I am the king of open mouth insert foot but the mark of a strong and good man is his ability to recognize that and attempt to make it right!! Good Stuff man

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Sorry man, I made an assumption and as usual made an @ss out of myself 🙂  Sounds like for many of us you have the dream job 🙂

I would really look at it based on irons.  Would you rather play Cobra or Srixon irons?  For me Srixon wins that battle, but I don't really think there is a wrong answer.  From the sounds of it if you go Cobra you are probably looking at irons and top end of the bag?  If you go Srixon it's irons and wedges?  So you just have to ask would you rather have freedom to experiment with the top end, or bottom end of the bag?  Or another way to ask, would you rather have to buy your own driver, or your own wedges?

This sounds like a fun problem to have, best of luck on your decision!

No worries mate!! Admittedly I'm a little sensitive when it comes to that stuff just because SOOO many guys in my industry pretend to be pro, or pro level players and simply are not even close!! I'm not even close to that level, but I try to make sure that that's known, I don't pretend to be better than I am. I might go shoot a 75, I might go shoot a 90 lol, but chance are I'm somewhere in low to mid 80's. The strength in my golf game is in my ability to bullshit with members and make sure everyone is having a good time! I did seriously luck out with this position, it's not lost on me, I'm grateful to be where I am.

You nailed my conundrum perfectly. I'm leaning ever so slightly towards Srixon irons but would much prefer Cleveland wedges to snake bites. While on the other hand I'd much prefer cobras top end to Srixon. Cobra also comes with some puma shoes and clothes as compared to Asics with Srixon. Srixon does provide 6 dozen balls, and 6 gloves.... So much to think about lol, like you said, fun problem!! I'm going to test everything this week, and have my 14 clubs submitted by Friday 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, bhd84 said:

Yea, this is tough lol!! Cleveland is indeed included with Srixon, and Puma is included with Cobra further complicating my choice lol. The Srixon deal would come with some apparel as well, but it's from Asics which I don't think I'm too interested in, but I do want those Cleveland wedges.... I also want that new dark horse driver. I'd say the only club in my bag I am super attached to is my trusty 7w everything else goes in an out of the bag on a whim anyways. I've only had the 790's for half a season as an experiment so I switched those and my x-forged out constantly which would in turn switch my whole bag set up around 

Interesting. To me, it comes down to which clubs are more important in your bag and then look at the options from each company. Cobra has more to offer in terms of options for all levels of the bag. Cobra also has a more robust clothing/shoe offering too. Although I love ASICS shoes (haven't had a different running shoe brand in decades), they don't really have much in the way of actual golf clothes that I'm aware of. Do you play Srixon balls or have you tested them and liked them? Have you tested clubs from both sides yet, for what you're looking for? I think that might be what it comes down to is what clubs work best for your game and what brand offers you the most options for that game. Not an easy decision for sure. Srixon might have better irons and Cleveland wedges, but Cobra has better woods and clothing. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how your testing goes and what you choose.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bhd84 said:

No worries mate!! Admittedly I'm a little sensitive when it comes to that stuff just because SOOO many guys in my industry pretend to be pro, or pro level players and simply are not even close!! I'm not even close to that level, but I try to make sure that that's known, I don't pretend to be better than I am. I might go shoot a 75, I might go shoot a 90 lol, but chance are I'm somewhere in low to mid 80's. The strength in my golf game is in my ability to bullshit with members and make sure everyone is having a good time! I did seriously luck out with this position, it's not lost on me, I'm grateful to be where I am.

Yeah, we're pretty much all jealous of you at this point. Not just the bag deal, but the whole thing. I'd love to move out of IT and into the golf industry like what you're doing, but at this point the next decade is pretty much set to stay where I am and just daydream about it. Maybe when I retire after the next decade I can look to find a part-time golf job at whatever 55+ golf community I end up in. 🙂

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2024 at 8:59 AM, bhd84 said:

Hey guys! I have a couple of staff deals available to me and I wanted a couple of opinions on what I should do with. I have the choice between srixon and cobra, both deals come with 14 clubs of which I have to carry 10 in the bag, doesn't matter which 10. Currently I play with a tsr3 driver, paradym 3hl and 7 wood, P790 4-9, vokeys pw-lw...... Which would you guys pick? How would you set up your bag?

So the idea of being on a staff deal is to represent the brand offering you the deal in the best light possible.  If  you cannot perform well or talk about the brand well then there is no sense of taking that deal.  Figure out what works best play and have fun

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Srixon would be my choice.  The new irons and driver alone would sell but you also add Cleveland wedges and it's a maraschino cherry.

Top to bottom I would be more content with their setup compared to Cobra.  I never cared much for Cobra woods.  

  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you hit a full set of either clubs yet?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Have you hit a full set of either clubs yet?

I've never hit any products from either brand except for a Cleveland 54° that I used to carry (loved it). I'm testing clubs this week, I have to make my decision by friday

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bhd84 said:

I've never hit any products from either brand except for a Cleveland 54° that I used to carry (loved it). I'm testing clubs this week, I have to make my decision by friday

Then that will more than likely your best avenue.  Hit irons that you play the most with. Look forward to you posting which way you went!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bhd84 said:

No worries mate!! Admittedly I'm a little sensitive when it comes to that stuff just because SOOO many guys in my industry pretend to be pro, or pro level players and simply are not even close!! I'm not even close to that level, but I try to make sure that that's known, I don't pretend to be better than I am. I might go shoot a 75, I might go shoot a 90 lol, but chance are I'm somewhere in low to mid 80's. The strength in my golf game is in my ability to bullshit with members and make sure everyone is having a good time! I did seriously luck out with this position, it's not lost on me, I'm grateful to be where I am.

You nailed my conundrum perfectly. I'm leaning ever so slightly towards Srixon irons but would much prefer Cleveland wedges to snake bites. While on the other hand I'd much prefer cobras top end to Srixon. Cobra also comes with some puma shoes and clothes as compared to Asics with Srixon. Srixon does provide 6 dozen balls, and 6 gloves.... So much to think about lol, like you said, fun problem!! I'm going to test everything this week, and have my 14 clubs submitted by Friday 

My only issue with Srixon irons was the turf interaction. I did not like that, but it could have been my swing.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've tried to read through the thread, and apologies if I missed this... but I would pick the one that feels best for you!  When I went for my fitting, I went through Cobra, Mizuno, Callaway, Srixon, Cleveland, Ping , Titleist and TM... and while they were all good, high-quality drivers/hybrids/irons, they didn't all feel good to me.  If you have this amazing opportunity, go for the ones that you will like pulling out of the bag to hit. 

Again, just my $.02 worth (less if you convert from CAD to USD 🙂 

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022)

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@bhd84 You did your testing, what did you decide?

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 7:59 AM, bhd84 said:

Hey guys! I have a couple of staff deals available to me and I wanted a couple of opinions on what I should do with. I have the choice between srixon and cobra, both deals come with 14 clubs of which I have to carry 10 in the bag, doesn't matter which 10. Currently I play with a tsr3 driver, paradym 3hl and 7 wood, P790 4-9, vokeys pw-lw...... Which would you guys pick? How would you set up your bag?

Haven't heard back from you on which direction you went. Can you share that with us? We're very curious to hear which direction you went and what were the deciding factors.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be interested in how this worked out as well.  I typically get offers from various lines not to play their clubs or to do so with generic head covers...

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...