Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Did the Player’s provide the excitement that the PGA Tour needed?

Javs

It was a great final round.  Arguably the best player in the world coming from behind and barely nipping the current U.S. Open champ, the current British Open champ and an Olympics gold medal winner.  I still can't believe Clark's birdie putt on 18 didn't go down.  When it was a foot out, I was thinking, "Playoff!"

And I would like to point out that Scheffler seems like the nicest dominant player since Nicklaus and none of the other three seem like jerks.  That's refreshing.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Great final round!  It is needed these days. Now if media would leave the rest alone. Ha

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

It was a great final round.  Arguably the best player in the world coming from behind and barely nipping the current U.S. Open champ, the current British Open champ and an Olympics gold medal winner.  I still can't believe Clark's birdie putt on 18 didn't go down.  When it was a foot out, I was thinking, "Playoff!"

And I would like to point out that Scheffler seems like the nicest dominant player since Nicklaus and none of the other three seem like jerks.  That's refreshing.

I agree fully with you! Scheffler does remind me of Nicklaus in a lot of ways. Scheffler shows you can win and be dominate without being a jerk. 

Play like a champion today!

The PGA tour events , particularly the majors , The Players Championship, Tour Championship are the marquis events and are always what we are eager to see. Unfortunately, LIV has nothing that is noteworthy or important enough to even warrant an audience, for the most part.

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

If you weren't captivated by this weekend at The Players then you should find another sport to watch.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

This weekend was a lot more interesting (and fun) than trying to decide if the leader is going to win by 4, 6, or 8 strokes on Sunday.

And, for me at least, what I learned from watching Full Swing only added to watching them on course.  Four interesting golfers, different games for each one, and not an obvious jerk in the mix.

As a side note I found it interesting that Joel Dahmen, who I believe had about $57,000 in earnings thus far this year, finished high enough to take home just north of $600,000.  Made me feel good for him and Geno as well.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

7 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

This weekend was a lot more interesting (and fun) than trying to decide if the leader is going to win by 4, 6, or 8 strokes on Sunday.

And, for me at least, what I learned from watching Full Swing only added to watching them on course.  Four interesting golfers, different games for each one, and not an obvious jerk in the mix.

As a side note I found it interesting that Joel Dahmen, who I believe had about $57,000 in earnings thus far this year, finished high enough to take home just north of $600,000.  Made me feel good for him and Geno as well.

I agree after watching Full Swing I was interested to see if Dahmen would see success this season. 

I so badly wish TPC Sawgrass was a 5th major, it's one of my favorite tournaments of the season. It was definitely a fun final round. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a three-way playoff... I thought for sure it was going to come to that. 

Also, echoing above, really cool to see Dahmen taking home some dough. 

Edited by TSauer

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I’m becoming less and less surprised to see many TOUR events come down to the final 9 holes every Sunday.  There is so much depth and so much talent that makes it so difficult to run away and win every week. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

A great final round and a nail-biter to the end.  I was a bit disappointed in Wyndam Clark throwing his caddy under the bus after his horrific water ball on Saturday at the 17th.  Supposedly his caddy told him to take a little off the chosen club, so I guess that caused him to hit fat.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

I think that Sunday was everything that they needed, another Xander and Clark battle coming down to the wire, Scottie going bananas on the final round (shocker), and even a few surprise finishes with Harman and Fitzpatrick. I just wish that the players weren't as much of a birdie fest and was a little tougher condition (given that is tough to achieve in March).

Driver - Qi10 LS, Black Diamana X-Stiff 62G shaft

3/5 wood - Stealth 2 Plus, Ventus Blue TR 7X shaft

3 Iron - Titleist 716 MB - Dynamic gold S300

4-6 - Callaway X-Forged CB, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Shaft, X-Flex 130G

7-P - Callaway Apex MB 21, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Shaft, X-Flex 130G

52,56,60 - Taylormade MG3, Stock shaft.

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach Premier Soft 4 (Blackout)

ALL LEFT HANDED

23 hours ago, TSauer said:

I so badly wish TPC Sawgrass was a 5th major, it's one of my favorite tournaments of the season. It was definitely a fun final round. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a three-way playoff... I thought for sure it was going to come to that. 

Also, echoing above, really cool to see Dahmen taking home some dough. 

Unfortunately, because it's the PGA Tour's signature event I don't think it'll ever become major-like because they would never invite the LIV folks. I do totally agree that it's one of my favorite tournaments! So far in 2024, it's been Kapalua & the Players that I've been most excited to watch!

I wasn't rooting for Wyndham all week, but seeing him turn into rymdham was pretty heartbreaking.

Agreeing with @TSauer, @Javs & @Bobbers - very happy for Joel Dahmen! Watching him and Geno is just great!

The leaderboard had to be a dream for the PGA because I was VERY into watching 8 of the top T-11! "Better than most" tournaments!🙂

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

I guess I don’t understand what the PGA tour needs so I don’t know if the tournament accomplished anything.    Will it bring more viewers each week? I don’t think so as there really wasn’t a charismatic player or I have to watch this player every week kind of vibe.   Finish was good but this tournament was no different than any other and won’t change anything.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I guess I don’t understand what the PGA tour needs so I don’t know if the tournament accomplished anything.    Will it bring more viewers each week? I don’t think so as there really wasn’t a charismatic player or I have to watch this player every week kind of vibe.   Finish was good but this tournament was no different than any other and won’t change anything.  

I thought it was a great finish. I enjoy watching the Players. Scheffler is one I will tune in to watch. He is an impressive player week in and week out.

5 minutes ago, Javs said:

I thought it was a great finish. I enjoy watching the Players. Scheffler is one I will tune in to watch. He is an impressive player week in and week out.

Definitely a great finish. I enjoyed it no more or less than any other event.  I also don’t tune into golf to watch a specific player; I view it simply as entertainment.  I have a rerun of an LET event on TV right now and I find it equal to watching the players.  

I Guess your question is does the current group of top players increase viewership?   Yes, Scottie is a great player but does he have the same appeal as a Tiger or even a Ricky Fowler?  Does Scottie being in the top 10 going into the weekend cause more people to tune in?  I personally don’t think so.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Definitely a great finish. I enjoyed it no more or less than any other event.  I also don’t tune into golf to watch a specific player; I view it simply as entertainment.  I have a rerun of an LET event on TV right now and I find it equal to watching the players.  

I Guess your question is does the current group of top players increase viewership?   Yes, Scottie is a great player but does he have the same appeal as a Tiger or even a Ricky Fowler?  Does Scottie being in the top 10 going into the weekend cause more people to tune in?  I personally don’t think so.   

I get it that you aren’t moved that much by golf on TV. To each their own. I like watching good events and tight finish’s. I do enjoy watching Scottie play. I learn a lot watching him. Tiger doesn’t move the needle for me. I know he does for millions, but I’m not one. Ricky is ok to watch. I saw him live at Torrey and he is not as impressive as some of the others. I like watching Rory play when he is in the hunt. At times he seems to be just going through the motions. However, he has unlimited talent. 

I really enjoyed the final round this past Sunday, and I really enjoy the Player's each year as the course is a great test for all who play. Dad and I forgot to eat dinner as we watched the recording about 2 hours after play started.

I agree that Tiger doesn't move the needle for me at all either, and the more they talk about him or show him, the less interested I become. But Scottie, Wynham, Xander, Ricky, JT, etc all do move the needle for me, especially when they play well. Watching Scottie put on a ball striking clinic is incredible to watch.

Sadly, the network coverage still leaves A LOT to be desired. You'd think the tournament only had 10 players in it all week. There's nothing wrong with showing the 50th player or the 40th player in the field, but NBC/CBS don't seem to understand we want to see them all play not just the handful at the top. I would have loved to see more Joel/Geno over the week.

The "filler" events I generally have on while I do other house stuff or to just help me relax without being actively involved. But when an event only has a couple top 50 players in it, it's hard to watch.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

13 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I really enjoyed the final round this past Sunday, and I really enjoy the Player's each year as the course is a great test for all who play. Dad and I forgot to eat dinner as we watched the recording about 2 hours after play started.

I agree that Tiger doesn't move the needle for me at all either, and the more they talk about him or show him, the less interested I become. But Scottie, Wynham, Xander, Ricky, JT, etc all do move the needle for me, especially when they play well. Watching Scottie put on a ball striking clinic is incredible to watch.

Sadly, the network coverage still leaves A LOT to be desired. You'd think the tournament only had 10 players in it all week. There's nothing wrong with showing the 50th player or the 40th player in the field, but NBC/CBS don't seem to understand we want to see them all play not just the handful at the top. I would have loved to see more Joel/Geno over the week.

The "filler" events I generally have on while I do other house stuff or to just help me relax without being actively involved. But when an event only has a couple top 50 players in it, it's hard to watch.

I agree with you!

1 hour ago, Javs said:

I get it that you aren’t moved that much by golf on TV. To each their own. I like watching good events and tight finish’s. I do enjoy watching Scottie play. I learn a lot watching him. Tiger doesn’t move the needle for me. I know he does for millions, but I’m not one. Ricky is ok to watch. I like watching Rory play when he is in the hunt. At times he seems to be just going through the motions. However, he has unlimited talent. 

... I am a little surprised to read that, unless you are talking about right now because he is a shell of his former self. In his prime there was nobody better at hitting spectacular golf shots or seemingly willing putts into the hole when needed. 

... I am not a big PGA TOUR fan mostly due to bomb and gouge with too much emphasis/coverage of putting. But I love watching the Players because the course is the star. Soooooooo much can happen on the last 3 holes and we all know them so well. I thought this was a fun 4 days of veining and I am looking forward to the Masters. 

... I try not to have negative thoughts about anyone, let alone a stranger playing golf but hard to keep those thoughts at bay with Clark. He acts like a 2 yr old that just wants his way screaming at his ball to do what he wants it to do, which of course is just silly. But after hitting out of a divot and then angrily taking out a huge chunk of turf makes me want to say he has to stick around Monday and fill/repair every divot on the course. Maybe he would show the course a little more respect. Bumping a tree limb with his backswing then turning and smacking the limb hard is just more immature behavior. Not to be too much of a hippie tree hugger, but a tree is a leaving thing and taking your anger out on a tree because YOU hit a bad shot is just another selfish toddler act. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I am a little surprised to read that, unless you are talking about right now because he is a shell of his former self. In his prime there was nobody better at hitting spectacular golf shots or seemingly willing putts into the hole when needed. 

... I am not a big PGA TOUR fan mostly due to bomb and gouge with too much emphasis/coverage of putting. But I love watching the Players because the course is the star. Soooooooo much can happen on the last 3 holes and we all know them so well. I thought this was a fun 4 days of veining and I am looking forward to the Masters. 

... I try not to have negative thoughts about anyone, let alone a stranger playing golf but hard to keep those thoughts at bay with Clark. He acts like a 2 yr old that just wants his way screaming at his ball to do what he wants it to do, which of course is just silly. But after hitting out of a divot and then angrily taking out a huge chunk of turf makes me want to say he has to stick around Monday and fill/repair every divot on the course. Maybe he would show the course a little more respect. Bumping a tree limb with his backswing then turning and smacking the limb hard is just more immature behavior. Not to be too much of a hippie tree hugger, but a tree is a leaving thing and taking your anger out on a tree because YOU hit a bad shot is just another selfish toddler act. 

My feelings on Tiger (as I have stated in other posts) are purely from personal experience. I won’t deny he was a great talent at his peak. Well, even sub-peak he was better than most. When you have personal interaction with someone several times and the outcome was less than pleasant than it’s hard to change that opinion. Basically my interaction and view is great talent, but horrible person. 
I tend to agree with you on Clark. Don’t blame your caddie because you chunk a wedge. Also, he is sort of a head case. I hope he works it all out. 

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

My feelings on Tiger (as I have stated in other posts) are purely from personal experience. I won’t deny he was a great talent at his peak. Well, even sub-peak he was better than most. When you have personal interaction with someone several times and the outcome was less than pleasant than it’s hard to change that opinion. Basically my interaction and view is great talent, but horrible person. 

... Understood. In his prime he was certainly not a likable human being. That said, I have always felt to be the very best in the world at anything takes a lot of sacrifice and single minded determination. But when it gets personal that is a different story. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Understood. In his prime he was certainly not a likable human being. That said, I have always felt to be the very best in the world at anything takes a lot of sacrifice and single minded determination. But when it gets personal that is a different story. 

Agree fully! There were many others that came to our work that were great to meet. Along with MLB and NFL players. The best ever interaction was with Drew Brees! He is authentic and a great guy. 

Edited by Javs

On 3/18/2024 at 10:32 AM, Josh Parker said:

Great final round!  It is needed these days. Now if media would leave the rest alone. Ha

I agree, but the media is one of the biggest issues with all sports these days.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x