What Is Your Favorite Driver Shaft?

20 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

It's amazing how many MGS forum participants get so into the weeds with shafts.
It seems that custom fitting for shafts is the norm here rather than the exception.

I buy my stuff online and take the stock R-flex graphite shaft that the manufacturer offers.
I figure they know what works with the clubhead.

I do specify the same grip for every non-putter club, and I ask for 1° flat on the driving iron, numbered irons, and wedges.  I also order all the wedges the same length so that the sand iron is usually ordered a ¼" long and the lob wedge is usually ordered a ½" long.

Other than that, though, I'm pretty much an off the shelf shopper.

I came into this season with a complete fourteen club reboot, but one major online dealer had
everything I wanted.  And while it's only May, I'm happy with the new gear.

How good does a social-recreational player have to be to benefit from custom fitting?  
Is it as common as it seems to be here on the forum?

It is the beauty of life.  There are many paths that one can take and they can all lead to similar results. As long as you're happy, you do you!!!

Ultimately, this forum has a group of people that are fascinated by equipment.  It isn't about "how good" do you have to be, it is more about the pursuit of the knowledge and the feel of that perfect combination.  Getting fitted was an eye opening experience for me and what works for one person does not always work for another. Stock shafts can be very good and if they work for you, fantastic! Others like to tinker and play around with different things and it is essentially an extension of our love of golf.

"In victory, you deserve champagne.  In defeat, you need it."

• Driver - Callaway Paradym 10.5, Diamana TB 60 S
  • 5-Wood - TaylorMade RBZ Tour 18, Matix Ozik XCON-7 S
  • 4i - PW - Ping i230, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.04 T, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Putter - Titleist Cameron Newport, oilcan finish, 34", baby-T grip
  • All Grips - Golf Pride Z Grip Cord
  • Ball - Titleist Pro V1

My favorite shaft is whatever is in the used driver I am playing at that time lol. I have issues with not tinkering and trying different clubs. I know I would be better off just sticking with certain clubs in my bag and a fitting but trying new things is more fun to me than chasing scores. I get a kick out of finding good deals. I have tried a lot and the following were some of the standouts. Just what felt best to me.

Ventus TR Red
GD Tour AD XC-7
Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue (nice, cheap, high spin high launc shaft replacement)

- toodles

• Driver: Stealth 2 
  • 3 Wood: Stealth 2
  • 4 Hybrid: Stealth 2
  • 5-GW: PXG 0311P Gen 4
  • SW & LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3
  • Putter: Evnroll ER2B

I've only ever tried one "after market" shaft. During my driver fitting(first real fitting by the way), the fitter had me try an autoflex. It was cool looking, I'll give it that. And truth be told, it did technically outperform the combo that I ultimately chose(by a 2 yard distance and 3 yard dispersion average). However, I did not think that was worth the cost. If I were making a living on golf, yeah order one up. But for me, the stock option shafts are performing great. I've become a big fan of the kai'li shafts. That's what went into my driver and 3 wood. Red for driver and blue for the 3 wood. I'll probably get around to tinkering with others down the road. For now though, the factory options are doing so well. Having said all that, I was surprised at the results of the different combos we tried. As it turns out, it's not all snake oil.

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

Taylormade sim 4hybrid through PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

I have tried several and right now I have the mitsubishi tensei av blue in my 3 wood, 5 wood and driver and I am hitting them straighter than with any other shaft. They are all R flex. And last time I checked straight is good in golf. Play well people. 

Frank musolino 

Changes all the time. Ive tinkered with almost all of them. 

currently playing the ventus blue tr.  also still trying to make the tour ad VF5x work. 

Ventus black OG was the shaft ive played the longest.  Tamed my swing a bit so it doesnt work for me completely anymore. 

I like to fit myself with my sim

WITB