Vokey SM10 Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@HeathS16 - Main Post 

@snoopy79 - Main Post 

@MIGregB - Main Post 

@Chubbs1991 - Main Post

On 6/22/2024 at 9:05 AM, Chubbs1991 said:

You are going to like the change. Welcome to the Vokey Family

One of the guys is playing a turn-of-the century set of Vokeys---250-08, 355-13, and 460-08.

The grooves are obviously sharpened beyond any semblance of conforming because these quarter-century-old wedges still spin the ball.  Still, these were obviously good clubs because they still are good clubs.  The 460-08 in particular looks a little like the SM6 which was one of my favorites.

As for as modern wedges, though, the Mizuno S-23s really give the SM10s a run for their money, and are especially hard to beat on hard, full swing shots.  

17 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

One of the guys is playing a turn-of-the century set of Vokeys---250-08, 355-13, and 460-08.

The grooves are obviously sharpened beyond any semblance of conforming because these quarter-century-old wedges still spin the ball.  Still, these were obviously good clubs because they still are good clubs.  The 460-08 in particular looks a little like the SM6 which was one of my favorites.

As for as modern wedges, though, the Mizuno S-23s really give the SM10s a run for their money, and are especially hard to beat on hard, full swing shots.  

Never hit a mizuno wedge before. But again I stand by that vokeys are some of the best wedges out there. 

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS Project X Handcraft T1100 6.0

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW KBS $ Taper X

Wedges: SM10 48,52.56,60 DG Tour Issue S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider X tour

Ball: Bridgestone XS 

14 hours ago, Chubbs1991 said:

Never hit a mizuno wedge before. But again I stand by that vokeys are some of the best wedges out there. 

I totally agree! I really wasn't expecting a big improvement for me since I was already playing SM9s, but there was. I don't doubt that the professional fitting and proper wedge/grind selections play a big role in that improvement, but the SM10s are terrific! 

I think a really interesting member's test, even on their own, would be to get hold of a couple other highly regarded wedges, like the TaylorMade MG4, Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore, Mizuno S23, etc. and do their own head-to-head. Someone like @HeathS16 who has ready access to Trackman facilities could have a lot of fun with that! The hardest part would be getting those other wedges properly fit just to be sure the test is fair. 

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-PW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM10 52.12F, SM10 56.14F & SM10 60.12D wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

16 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I'll admit, I'm really enjoying my S23's so far. I wasn't sure about them, but they offer help when it's needed, and are solid when I hit them solid. The D and C grinds seem to work just great for my 54 & 60, respectively. Plus, at the sale price and custom built with my shafts and grips at no upcharge, I surely can't complain.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

On 7/21/2024 at 2:12 AM, yungkory said:

For those of you that got nickel finish, how's it holding up?

I'm finally back home and have another round in. The SM10.56 has become my go-to club in lots of bunker and around-the-green situations, so I've taken closer pics of that club in an attempt to show nickel finish face wear; and it is a bit more than I first thought. I took several pics trying to show contrast the best I could. It seems bit more wear on the face than the bottom, which is where you'd expect. That's not a complaint, it's an observation. It's nothing that bothers me at all, but it's for you to decide what you think. I hope these help.

SWWearpic.png.54f52ec759bfcfe1c26024cd71ed443c.png

SWBottomWearpic.png.9e016460787fe992e3961a31bc402a1c.png

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-PW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM10 52.12F, SM10 56.14F & SM10 60.12D wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

On 7/30/2024 at 7:09 AM, MIGregB said:

I totally agree! I really wasn't expecting a big improvement for me since I was already playing SM9s, but there was. I don't doubt that the professional fitting and proper wedge/grind selections play a big role in that improvement, but the SM10s are terrific! 

I think a really interesting member's test, even on their own, would be to get hold of a couple other highly regarded wedges, like the TaylorMade MG4, Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore, Mizuno S23, etc. and do their own head-to-head. Someone like @HeathS16 who has ready access to Trackman facilities could have a lot of fun with that! The hardest part would be getting those other wedges properly fit just to be sure the test is fair. 

That would be a blast.  This gives me another reason to tell the wife I need more clubs right?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

2 hours ago, Rory4Pres said:

the new gun metal finish on the sm10's is fire.  I recently updated my old vokeys with some sm9 raws and love them.  Wouldn't mind picking up an sm10 in the coming year to fill a gap i have between my pitching wedge and 53*

You won’t be disappointed! Easily a game changer. Even from the SM9s just ask @MIGregB

Played a practice round today at my be t tournament venue. Played well but didn’t score well. Shot an 81. Was 4/6 on getting up and down with the SM10s. Hit 3 of those shots to within inches. 

This has to be the highest scoring test I've ever seen on the MGS forums. 

So I'm curious...after a few weeks on course are all'y'all still raving at 99s and 100s for these?

Also, in each of your opinions, how much of it is the club and how much is the fitting? 

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 10* | Taylor Made Mini Driver 13.5* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 51*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

16 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

So I'm curious...after a few weeks on course are all'y'all still raving at 99s and 100s for these?

Also, in each of your opinions, how much of it is the club and how much is the fitting? 

That is a VERY interesting question and, quite frankly, one that I've been trying to decide myself. There is absolutely no doubt that the professional fitting has had a big impact on performance. The specs on all three wedges are quite different from my previous set-up which I really liked; well, except for the GW which I'll talk more about in a bit. And without someone suggesting to me/telling me that I needed something different, I was happy enough with the SM9s that I would have been leery of changing. I know being professionally fit costs money, $100 in this case. And whether through obstinance or simply being cheap, I wouldn't have done it if I was on my own. But this test has absolutely convinced me that you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't get fit at least at milestone purchases (changes due to aging, physical health, major equipment upgrades, etc.). I also know finding a good fitter is a question, but it's one that gets covered frequently on other MGS threads so you can find some guidance there. But based on comments/reports from @HeathS16, @snoopy79, and @Chubbs1991 as well as my own experience, you can be confident that Titleist certified fitters are outstanding. I would expect that certified fitters from the other major OEMs would be as well, albeit not brand agnostic.

I am so enamored with the 56.14F that I tend to grab it first in most situations. I am also becoming more and more confident with the 60.12D. In fact, these two are performing so well for me that I've developed a new "problem" that I need to address. I'm getting so much spin on longer shots that I need to learn how take spin off; I have NEVER had that problem before!

So... back to the gap wedge. I've always used a set GW and none of them have ever been a particularly consistent performer for me, so I was anxious to try out the Vokey. Unfortunately, I'm still not doing great with the 52.12F, although it is better than before. I've even been toying with the idea of catching up with my fitter, preferably in person, to see if he has any thoughts. 

I apologize for this lengthy reply; no one has ever accused me of being brief! But coming full circle to your initial question, I feel even stronger about the 56- and 60-degree wedges, they are terrific! But I have work to do on the 52. 

19 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

You won’t be disappointed! Easily a game changer. Even from the SM9s just ask @MIGregB

My close golf buddy has the sm10's and actually said he prefers his sm9's.  I'm not sure of the reasoning, maybe it's simply the shaft combination or swingweight/grip he has it setup with.  Either way, you can't go wrong any any vokey in general but it's always nice upgrading to a fresh face (with extra spin) and in the sm10's case, the most appealing looking vokey finish ever....well maybe, I have an old vokey lob wedge with a bronze finish that I find stunning.

18 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

Honestly I think it’s a bit of both. We all know that getting fit helps dials in the club. It’s extremely important in Woods and Irons but why would that change for wedges. The fitter helped select the right grinds and lofts, that helped me dial in my short game more. Knowing proper gapping was extremely important. Plus these are Vokeys. Best wedges in the game. 

19 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

So I'm curious...after a few weeks on course are ally'all still raving at 99s and 100s for these?

Yes, it is a high score for this forum review. And you asked some great questions. I have been a slight break over the last couple weeks after this test. Only got 9 holes in last Thursday. Tomorrow I have a full 18 to play in a scramble, and then another round with a friend on the 10th. But I have been back to the range numerous times. Personally, I find that these wedges are just in that sweet spot for feel. I know it is subjective, but I have hit many different types of wedges from different manufacturers and these just feel different. I have concluded, its their progressive CG placement. Which you can read about on their site. In any case, to answer your question, yes, I am still raving.

Regarding the fitting, well that was part of the test. And it was an A+ experience so I will rave about that as well. How much of it is the club vs. the fitting? I would say, for me, its 80% club and 20% fitting. The quality of the club and consistency of results across the face are there no matter the fit IMO. The fitting just made sure I was gapping yardages correctly and that he grinds were correct for my swing.

I hope that helps answer your questions. 🙂

Current WITB:

Driver:  Kirkland Signature, adj. 10.5 Evenflow Riptide-Stiff, w/JumboMax Tour Series grip

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges: default_titelist-small.jpg.70ad9f722a0db80227389c6cf555806c.jpg Vokey SM10 wedges 48.10F, 54.10S, 60.08M

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Ball: Vice Tour, or Vice Pro

default_benhogan-small.gif

On 8/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, frazzman80 said:

Emphatically yes.  I am sticking to my 99. I think it definitely helps to be fit so you can get into the right grind and set up though imo, I was fit for my RTX-3's (My 1st MGS Test) and the SM10s were a seamless change that bettered my game.  I haven't changed anything with my technique so it has to be the club+ fitting combo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update.  Played another tournament this past Saturday.  Rainy and a bit cold for August in Oklahoma. Got up and down on the 18th to take home solo 2nd. My SM10 58* put a soft little flop shot about 4 ft to get up and down.  That is by far my best result in tournament play and the wedge game is sizzling. How are you other guys faring? 

Kind of you to ask, but not even remotely close to you!!! Though my 56.14F is money and my 60.12D is digging me out of short-sided holes that surprises even me. I'm also making friends with the 52.12F. But I still think it would be a great experiment to have someone get fitted for and test several high(er) level current wedges side-by-side. I had originally nominated you, but I'm beginning to think you can nail an old pie plate to a stick and do well with it. So instead, maybe I'll nominate.... ME!!! Now, how do I sneak $500-$600 worth of experimental club purchases past the wife??? 😃

Tried an experiment the past couple of weeks with a new sm10 50° wedge, long story short I was never a big fan of the approach wedge that came with my 2019 P790 set, most hits felt off and it never really fit the gap between my pitching wedge and 54°.  I had some shop credit to spend and the idea of getting some confidence back from 110 to 120 yards was much needed in my golf game.

I picked up a 50° sm10 vokey from my local course "limited selection" and had it bent down to 48° to fill my yardage gap, this also took the wedge from 8° of bounce down to 6°. 

This is one of the best decisions I have made in my golf game in years, the feel and control I gained from adding this club was night and day.  Every hit felt like butter and 3/4 shots perfectly went that 110 yard distance I have been missing for so long.  

I know approach wedges have become a staple in the new iron sets ever since the lofts were strengthened but don't be afraid to experiment and get that true wedge feel!

Ryan Baker

PXG 0211 Driver; Callaway Steelhead 3+ wood

Taylormade P790 2i UDI, 4-AW; Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 54 and 60

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 special select

Taylormade Tour Response Golf Ball

Hello Wedgeheads,

So I did the thing and went for a fitting with Titleist. Let me tell you, the SM10's are special. I was fitted into the 50.12 F grind, 54.14 F grind, and 58.14 K grind. The online fitting tool has me in a 50.8 F, 54.10 S, and 60.14 K. Definitely happy with the fitting, Jim with Titleist was great. I can't wait to take these on the course because they are money (and they don't even know it).

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

4 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Hello Wedgeheads,

So I did the thing and went for a fitting with Titleist. Let me tell you, the SM10's are special. I was fitted into the 50.12 F grind, 54.14 F grind, and 58.14 K grind. The online fitting tool has me in a 50.8 F, 54.10 S, and 60.14 K. Definitely happy with the fitting, Jim with Titleist was great. I can't wait to take these on the course because they are money (and they don't even know it).

Glad to see your fitting was completed and that you were satisfied with the in-person fitting with some differences noted when compared to the online fitting tool.

Looking forward to your comments when you get them @Michael.Sandoval33.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

On 8/14/2024 at 3:35 PM, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Hello Wedgeheads,

Man that is awesome! I don't think you will be disappointed.  I was fit for similar grinds and bounce as you and I do not think you will be disappointed.  Make sure to post your thoughts and how you get along with them! 

30 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

Man that is awesome! I don't think you will be disappointed.  I was fit for similar grinds and bounce as you and I do not think you will be disappointed.  Make sure to post your thoughts and how you get along with them! 

I'm curious if you take deep divots usually. I think I was fitted into the higher bounce options because I leave shallow divots, if any. I should be receiving them next week and will definitely chime in on how they're working for me.

WITB

So umm how long did it take for you guys to get your orders? Asking for a friend 😂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1 hour ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

I'm curious if you take deep divots usually. I think I was fitted into the higher bounce options because I leave shallow divots, if any. I should be receiving them next week and will definitely chime in on how they're working for me.

I'm pretty much a "medium" divot taker.  Mine usually are on the shallow end with my 54 and 58 but slightly more of a divot on the 50 degree.

39 minutes ago, yungkory said:

So umm how long did it take for you guys to get your orders? Asking for a friend 😂

Took about 3 weeks after fitting for mine to arrive. 

THREE WEEEEEEKS?!?

image.gif.7d557311f6703d03f15d16dcfe012f94.gif

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

22 hours ago, yungkory said:

Because everything ran through MGS, everything took a bit longer than normal waiting for everyone to have fittings completed and specs documented. But I think mine arrived in less than 3 weeks from the time the group orders were all placed, and I was the 1st of the group to receive them. I didn't have any unusual requirements (just longer shaft and more upright lie) so maybe that helped.  

Edited by MIGregB
Stated the wrong lie adjustment

8 hours ago, yungkory said:

Mine came from Wedgeworks so it took a little longer than normal. Well worth the wait!

19 hours ago, yungkory said:

THREE WEEEEEEKS?!?

image.gif.7d557311f6703d03f15d16dcfe012f94.gif

Our orders were placed right when the GT line was announced and coming out so perhaps *no promises* it'll be sooner.  lol 

Just got an email that the label for mine has been created, which has me thinking they are shipping out Monday (coming from 2-3 hours away, in state)

I am trying to temper my internal excitement without imploding 😂

WITB