Garmin S70 Health and Tracking - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below.
@revkev - Main Post 

@cburins - Main Post 

@Corentin Vadillo - Main Post 

@NubianRugby - Main Post

Alright I’m officially obsessed with this tempo training feature - I spent half an hour with it in the backyard this morning.

I thought the swing speed setting was the watch’s determination. I see I was wrong, again. Now that I’ve figured it out I’ve found that I’m between fast amateur and slow pro.  Much better results with that setting.

IMG_0748.jpeg.a16bb0386332bb8d9fa3a64e422eaa6f.jpeg

I’ve also dragged out my lag shot trainer - I need slow amateur for that club but after three days I’ve gotten very proficient with it swing after swing at that setting.

IMG_0745.jpeg.1f60b1167f7cebf77e4adeddca56bf89.jpeg

Best of all I noticed a significant uptick in my ball striking yesterday and hit it very flush into the net this morning. My 7 iron feels so balanced when I focus on tempo - very easy to make flush contact - once I got warmed up ant miss was a groove or two down, still playable. 

I did notice that I’m missing the sensor from that club - I don’t think it happened yesterday on the course - I only hit it once. I think it happened in the yard. Grass grows quickly this time of year and it’s lawn mowing day - I will pay the grandchildren to go find it in the backyard before we mow. 🙂

Edited by revkev

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

IMG_0747.jpegSo I warmed up today using my last trainer - my goal was to see where I’m at with driver in regards to tempo 

IMG_0750.jpeg.be225123225e5ea52ee632b8de933276.jpeg

I am in between Pro slow and amateur fast - this was the one optimal swing at Pro slow - however I was really hitting a lot of solid drivers at an exceptionally high swing speed (for me.)  with all the swing speed training that I’ve done - both Super Speed and stack I have only hit a small handful of balls where my radar registered 100. I did that today alone including my fastest since I started measuring:

IMG_0749.jpeg.c12875807c763fc025ab08e57e19850b.jpegThis drive would have carried 234 per voice caddy - the swing speed on that device was in the mid 90’s - it’s al way below the radar by several mph - 

I was noticeably longer on the course on Friday than I have been in a long time - I had 147 on a par 3 - some wind behind but after a bit of internal debate hit 8 iron (this would normally be a not brainer grip down 7.) my watch measured it at 146 - kick in birdie. I pulled a drive a couple of holes later at a fairway trap that I’ve never carried (when I was younger and longer I played back a set of tees from where I am now) easily carried that bad boy - I was so stoked that I aimed at a trap a couple of holes later that I normally play right and shirt of with 5 wood - the hole is 5 wood 6 hybrid to 8 iron when I play right of that trap - driver gap wedge on Friday and it was a tad into the breeze - 210 yard carry. 

Im truly enjoying the tempo trainer - it’s an unexpected benefit - it’s ideal for me because I can hit balls into the net and really work on something and it pairs nicely with the lag shot trainer. 

Edited by revkev

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Ive had to take a small break from wearing the Garmin S70, unfortunately. It was giving me some really bad irritation on my wrist. I can't really tell if its due to the heat and its just not cooperating or its a combination of that and just sensitive skin? 

IMG_4808.jpg.372cd0e2f9ba386224e8cd6354fb9ddb.jpg

It doesn't hurt at all, but by the looks of it I needed to take a break. I know someone else posted about getting irritation as well so maybe take that into consideration if you have sensitive skin. 

IMG_4809.jpg.8371b8bb28c10b75affa663b56e049f8.jpg

I have some content planned for the weekend and playing a course Ive never been to before! 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M Grind)

Putter: LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Ball: Titleist TruFeel 

GPS: Garmin S70/CT10 Sensors (Current MGS Tester) 

@cburins so sorry to learn this.  I have a coworker who wears a different Garmin watch (she's a swimmer) and she ordered different bands to put on hers and it solved the problem for her.

I have exceedingly sensitive skin - the only time I've run into a slight issue is when I've had it on too loosely or too tight but not all sensitivities are created equal.  She said the fix for her was very inexpensive and stylish (she has multiple color choices.)  

IMG_0766.jpeg.2ecd64066388fc12037ee1610736b8ee.jpegI had a bizarre doctor’s appointment yesterday afternoon. It was a follow up for a weight loss medicine that I’ve been taking. While I was having my blood pressure checked the nurse said I’d be seeing doctor T.  She is not my doctor and I have never met her. So I asked if my doc were on vacation. “He resigned this morning and they called her in from a different office. It’s been quite the day. We had HR here, the head doctor, a locksmith.”  I didn’t say it to the nurse but there’s no doubt my doctor was canned based on that description and my appointment. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the new doctor. She had taken the time to review my chart and wanted to know why my old doc had put me on this particular weight got loss med. I explained why I wanted to loose weight and what I wanted to get down to. She said that’s fine but you actually don’t need to loose weight unless you want to - your BMI is perfect and your labs are great.  

Also the med that I’m on should not be given to patient with any sort of irregular heartbeat. It can spike heart rates. It also causes insomnia - duh - I’ve been on it throughout this entire test period. I’ve literally only had one fair nights sleep the entire time. At least I know why now. I’m also extremely fortunate that I didn’t have a heart event - I have tachycardia it could have gone off on me. 

Obviously I’ve stopped taking the medication. 

On 7/25/2024 at 1:56 PM, cburins said:

Ive had to take a small break from wearing the Garmin S70, unfortunately. It was giving me some really bad irritation on my wrist. I can't really tell if its due to the heat and its just not cooperating or its a combination of that and just sensitive skin? 

IMG_4808.jpg.372cd0e2f9ba386224e8cd6354fb9ddb.jpg

It doesn't hurt at all, but by the looks of it I needed to take a break. I know someone else posted about getting irritation as well so maybe take that into consideration if you have sensitive skin. 

IMG_4809.jpg.8371b8bb28c10b75affa663b56e049f8.jpg

I have some content planned for the weekend and playing a course Ive never been to before! 

The regular stretchy rubber band that came with my wife's Garmin was causing her a similar problem. We found fabric watch bands on Amazon. She swapped it out and has not had a problem. I'd definitely look around and see if there is something that you like.

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

IMG_0776.jpeg.adb8dfa9bb0a1ac885a2b4df06c68e15.jpegMy turn with the rash. Very hot out today, I’m wondering if I had the watch on too tight? 

Ironically I swung the club much better than I have throughout the test period today. I was focused on one thing only, hitting the ball right to left. I over did it off the tee on 1 and 2 and went, double, bogey. Still shot 39 on the front, 41 on the back, 80. I’ve been struggling with block fades off the tee, didn’t hit a single one on a tee ball today. Did hit a couple of 6 hybrids that were block fades and 1 7 iron on a layup shot. 

Other than that everything was dead straight or a draw of some sort. 

On 7/25/2024 at 2:03 PM, revkev said:

@cburins so sorry to learn this.  I have a coworker who wears a different Garmin watch (she's a swimmer) and she ordered different bands to put on hers and it solved the problem for her.

I have exceedingly sensitive skin - the only time I've run into a slight issue is when I've had it on too loosely or too tight but not all sensitivities are created equal.  She said the fix for her was very inexpensive and stylish (she has multiple color choices.)  

I'm definitely going to look into this! Thanks for the recommendation. 

WITB:

On 7/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, VernL4 said:

The regular stretchy rubber band that came with my wife's Garmin was causing her a similar problem. We found fabric watch bands on Amazon. She swapped it out and has not had a problem. I'd definitely look around and see if there is something that you like.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Will definitely look on Amazon. 

WITB:

1 hour ago, revkev said:

IMG_0776.jpeg.adb8dfa9bb0a1ac885a2b4df06c68e15.jpegMy turn with the rash. Very hot out today, I’m wondering if I had the watch on too tight? 

Ironically I swung the club much better than I have throughout the test period today. I was focused on one thing only, hitting the ball right to left. I over did it off the tee on 1 and 2 and went, double, bogey. Still shot 39 on the front, 41 on the back, 80. I’ve been struggling with block fades off the tee, didn’t hit a single one on a tee ball today. Did hit a couple of 6 hybrids that were block fades and 1 7 iron on a layup shot. 

Other than that everything was dead straight or a draw of some sort. 

I'm sorry to hear you got a rash as well. I find mine area isn't painful and it looks much worse than it is. 

I want to say its hot weather - maybe sweat from the wrist can make is rub a bit more on the area. 

WITB:

10 hours ago, cburins said:

I'm sorry to hear you got a rash as well. I find mine area isn't painful and it looks much worse than it is. 

I want to say its hot weather - maybe sweat from the wrist can make is rub a bit more on the area. 

That’s exactly what my wife and I believe - it was yet another high heat index day yesterday, over 110 when we tee’d off, played 18 instead of 9 and I went back to hitting draws exclusively - the rash doesn’t hurt at all. I’ve switched wrists with the watch - have a colonoscopy on Weds. so I will be taking it off tomorrow for a couple of days anyway.

On a very serious health related note I am one who constantly reminds senior church members who developed mysterious symptoms to check with their doctor on potential drug interactions with their meds. I’ve now experienced this firsthand.  The Garmin caught it first with poor sleep scores and very low body batteries. 

IMG_0777.jpeg.4b4e9804c2b7722f24d902e82081c082.jpegI started today at 70 - far and away my highest and I was at a 5 when I went to bed last night. I’ve been off the offending med for 5 days.

Edited by revkev

I went 24 hours without wearing mine just for trial purposes..my I miss it dearly! 

This watch had become part of my daily routine and the golf is just all part of the bonus. 

The only thing I wish it was easier to track shots on course, but will give it another run tomorrow. In part I think it's because I am a lefty wearing it on my left hand.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Could the testers give an update on their experiences with the club sensors? I know it hadn't been going great with them, but I'd like to hear your updates to see if anything has gotten better or worse. Thanks.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I went 24 hours without wearing mine just for trial purposes..my I miss it dearly! 

This watch had become part of my daily routine and the golf is just all part of the bonus. 

The only thing I wish it was easier to track shots on course, but will give it another run tomorrow. In part I think it's because I am a lefty wearing it on my left hand.

I can totally relate! I was getting irritation from the wristband and didn't wear it for 2 days. I definitely missed certain features on the watch and waking up to my morning report. 

WITB:

I guess this is a good and bad thing, but I bought a new putter! I have been wanting to get a LAB Putter for awhile now and there happened to be 1 available at a Golftown near me. 

IMG_4763.jpg.ff43c2d45c018dfbf6000b23498a6d49.jpg

The reason this its somewhat annoying/bad is this putter grip is compatible with the CT10 Sensors. 

IMG_4820.jpg.a4379e53e552902b0b82798d6c4f80b5.jpg

For those of you that are unaware - My previous putter had a Superstroke Putter Grip which is not compatible with the CT10 Sensors.

9D7EDD05-A0A7-432B-8150-940E2661E350.JPEG.b6d8e333f2cb5bb17f902c2e64d21f11.JPEG

I started a project to make this sensor  compatible with the Superstroke, but now its irreversible...Oh well I can still figure out a way to make it work! 

IMG_4354.jpg.0ff89c26b6c994ff2debb789f82e5080.jpg

WITB:

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Do the instructions say to wear the watch on your lead wrist? 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

Could the testers give an update on their experiences with the club sensors? I know it hadn't been going great with them, but I'd like to hear your updates to see if anything has gotten better or worse. Thanks.

Hey Shrek74,

I'm still not the biggest fan of the sensors.

I played this past weekend and had a very wet lie, which ended up putting a lot of dirt on my club face. I gave the club a few hits on the ground to shake the mud off, once I got to my bag I noticed the sensor had flew completely off the club with the light hits to my wedge.

The sensors are still reading practice strokes as shots and it really skews data on the Garmin golf app. It's pretty redundant to have to constantly edit my rounds afterwards on the app to make sure the sensors aren't putting in incorrect data. 

If you have any other questions about the sensors please let me know and I'd be happy to answer! 

WITB:

Little update on the Garmin watchband irritation:

I was able to find a leather watchband on https://strapsco.com and ended up paying $30 for it - not bad at all. 

g_l5.2a-Main-Dark-Brown-StrapsCo-QuickFit-20-Leather-Watch-Band-Strap-for-Garmin-Fenix-5S.jpg.633a5a5040921222129197d3e0249865.jpg

Hopefully this will help with the irritation. I still think it's due to the hot weather so maybe for Winters here I can wear the silicone band, but for Summer I wear the leather? Only time will tell! 

I think the brown leather will look great with the grey and green! 

WITB:

5 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

@Shrek74 I’m not a tester but used the CT10s for a full season before switching to ShotScope. While I really like Garmin watches over any other, the sensors for me were really lacking.

I found that post shot analysis was really weak. And I wasn’t able to edit shots. For example, a 7I stinger would record as a full shot and skew the data. Similar issue with pitch and chip shots. I couldn’t mark those as positional or something else to avoid having the shot data brought into the club data. This was a couple of years ago. So things may have changed. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

18 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Shrek74 I’m not a tester but used the CT10s for a full season before switching to ShotScope. While I really like Garmin watches over any other, the sensors for me were really lacking.

I found that post shot analysis was really weak. And I wasn’t able to edit shots. For example, a 7I stinger would record as a full shot and skew the data. Similar issue with pitch and chip shots. I couldn’t mark those as positional or something else to avoid having the shot data brought into the club data. This was a couple of years ago. So things may have changed. 

Yup, this is the exact same issue Ive been having with the sensors. They don't track shots properly and it definitely skews data. 

WITB:

Garmin Morning Report

The Garmin S70 has this wonderful feature called the Morning Report.

IMG_4863.jpg.66ed2ce22228cedc9c9f13d4e069e811.jpg

Every morning the Garmin reviews your Sleep, HRV Status and Training Readiness. 

3AAD4B49-A834-472A-8E71-0DDCCC7E8BBB.JPEG.46d76e573bcf28ac7b4fbeeef6f2b7e2.JPEG

It's a great way to start the day and is very informative. As you can see my sleep was short - I had a tough time getting to bed, but I had plenty of deep sleep. Ive finally got my HRV at a good level by trying to reduce stress and if I was planning on working out it's good to know my body is at a good level to do so. 

At the end if the Morning Report it gives you a quote to get the day going:

IMG_4868.jpg.84696d6a47c3abfbc80989ab24648c0f.jpg

A very small but great feature offered by the Garmin. 

WITB:

So with HRV I have noticed one thing in particular and it makes sense. If I don't dream I am consistent. Even though I wake up 3 or more times in a night (kids and dogs moving around) it will still be a consistent level. 

However, if I dream it goes high! I don't dream often, but have had a few in the last week or so and those nights I not only have a worse sleep, but the HRV score is less than stellar. 

I have also noticed that on average i have been getting between 5-6.5 hours of sleep a night. Meaning I am never really catching up, but always running a mid to low battery. Is what it is I guess. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 hours ago, cburins said:

Garmin Morning Report

The Garmin S70 has this wonderful feature called the Morning Report.

IMG_4863.jpg.66ed2ce22228cedc9c9f13d4e069e811.jpg

Every morning the Garmin reviews your Sleep, HRV Status and Training Readiness. 

3AAD4B49-A834-472A-8E71-0DDCCC7E8BBB.JPEG.46d76e573bcf28ac7b4fbeeef6f2b7e2.JPEG

It's a great way to start the day and is very informative. As you can see my sleep was short - I had a tough time getting to bed, but I had plenty of deep sleep. Ive finally got my HRV at a good level by trying to reduce stress and if I was planning on working out it's good to know my body is at a good level to do so. 

At the end if the Morning Report it gives you a quote to get the day going:

IMG_4868.jpg.84696d6a47c3abfbc80989ab24648c0f.jpg

A very small but great feature offered by the Garmin. 

You dog, I was going to do this same update - I have very similar pictures from this morning, in fact.  I will anyway so others can see the difference between ours - I'm guessing there is a significant difference in our ages so it will be a really good thing.

@Shrek 74 I'm done with censors - they are a complete fail for me.  I've already lost two.  The last thing I need is to be looking for a censor after a shot or working tightening censors into my pre-shot routine.  I will follow the MGS rubric and send them on to someone else after the review is completed.  I'm also planning to review them separately as I don't want them detracting from the watch''s score. 

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So with HRV I have noticed one thing in particular and it makes sense. If I don't dream I am consistent. Even though I wake up 3 or more times in a night (kids and dogs moving around) it will still be a consistent level. 

However, if I dream it goes high! I don't dream often, but have had a few in the last week or so and those nights I not only have a worse sleep, but the HRV score is less than stellar. 

I have also noticed that on average i have been getting between 5-6.5 hours of sleep a night. Meaning I am never really catching up, but always running a mid to low battery. Is what it is I guess. 

Ive been noticing the same thing, while in REM sleep my HRV is higher but in deep sleep its lower. Been trying to get my HRV balanced since I learned about it through the watch. 

WITB:

It is so odd to me that while I’ve struggled with sleep my HRV has remained balanced throughout. Also I remain stunned that my stress level is relatively low - I was at the bedside of a dying person yesterday and spent time with a family whose 40 year old father of 3 died in a car accident. My stress level was moderate after both occasions. I’m so sad for both families and quite honestly know and knew these people well. I think that I handle tough situations like this fairly well because I don’t get overly stressed. 

My watchband arrived! 

IMG_4910.jpg.b426afcfd58ed470a6e91d3209804353.jpg

So far so good. The installations was very easy and Garmin's Youtube channel offers a setup tutorial.

IMG_4912.jpg.d8dfacbf1ae2166e72738c239b11ad45.jpg

I have small wrists so unfortunately I had to punch another hole in it. Hopefully this helps with the irritation! 

WITB:

15 hours ago, cburins said:

My watchband arrived! 

IMG_4910.jpg.b426afcfd58ed470a6e91d3209804353.jpg

So far so good. The installations was very easy and Garmin's Youtube channel offers a setup tutorial.

IMG_4912.jpg.d8dfacbf1ae2166e72738c239b11ad45.jpg

I have small wrists so unfortunately I had to punch another hole in it. Hopefully this helps with the irritation! 

A friend got a similar leather band for his Forerunner. I hope it solves the problem for you! 

4 hours ago, VernL4 said:

A friend got a similar leather band for his Forerunner. I hope it solves the problem for you! 

Today is my first day wearing it and it seems to just rest nicely on my wrist and slide around comfortably. I think this will be beneficial in the long run! Hopefully I don't get too sweaty as this material might hold in the sweat. 

WITB:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64698-garmin-s70-health-and-tracking-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1073007

Here is the link to my final review found earlier in this thread.  I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the watch.  I will also continue to drop in with additional content.  Thanks for reading and contributing.

Edited by revkev