CAD Designing and Prototyping my personal golf irons

Posted (edited)

For the past two or so years I have been designing, developing and prototyping my own personal set of irons. I took on the project because my grandfather introduced me to golf and got me hooked. I always loved designing things in CAD, from wooden puzzles to keyboards. I originally wanted to make a putter that could replace his old odyssey two-ball but my design ambition only grew from there. I started by inspecting my own Titleist 710 AP1 irons and from there I created hundreds of sketches for iron faces alone. I wanted to be able to compare my Titleist irons with the ones I designed so after a google search I used the spec sheet Titleist provided for the AP1 710 irons on their website. Over the course of these two years I learned how to incorporate loft, lie, offset, camber, sole width, blade length and numerous other variables that make up golf clubs. 

After finally becoming satisfied with the design I began prototyping, I sent two designs over to a CNC milling factory: a 7 iron and a Pitching Wedge. They looked beautiful although they didn't have a typical muscle cavity. They exceeded my expectations and I achieved more distance with these prototypes and I had people I met on the driving range along with some people at a PGA TOUR Superstore test these irons as well and somewhat to my surprise they loved them. After about 6+ months of learning how to incorporate forgiveness into my cavity I finally had another design that resembled a more traditional blade. It came out beautiful but I was only able to produce a single 7 iron. During that time I continued to work on designs, at the request of some friends. I made a Phantom X style putter but with my design input rather than copy an existing design, a driving iron and a CB Iron set but they haven't been prototyped or produced yet.

I want to be able to experiment with more materials and unique construction cavities that use tungsten to move the CG over to the toe, however prototyping alone is pretty expensive and I can’t afford to keep experimenting. So now you’re all caught up, I guess my future plans with this project is to keep developing these irons and hope some people approach me with interest to test these irons themselves or possibly have their own set design. I have also designed a couple wedge sets but I don’t think they are quite ready for prototyping yet because I want them to be able to compete with name brand wedges. Right now I have basically a finalized design, however I still want to remove a couple more grams to get it within my target weight. I have also made a handful of putters but I haven’t decided to prototype them yet simply because these irons take priority. 

The link attached is a showcase of CAD images, the prototypes and the experimental designs like wedges and putters:

Misc golf CAD Designs, Prototypes & 3D Prints

Lob Wedge:

Lob Wedge Design

IMG_20230902_154123.jpg

IMG_20230902_154125.jpg

IMG_20230902_154211.jpg

IMG_9710.jpeg

Edited by JacobMMC
Add photos

Odyssey DFX 3300

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Titleist AP1 710 5-PW

Cobra MAX 4 Hybrid 

Taylormade Rocketballz 3 Tour Hybrid

Cobra F9 Speedzone Big Tour 3

PXG 0211 2021 Driver

Those look pretty incredible!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Posted (edited)

Wow!  Those look amazing!  Welcome to MGS !

That is surely quite the undertaking and quite the outcome!

Is the screw in the back for weight changes or the face attachment?

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

6 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Wow!  Those look amazing!  Welcome to MGS !

That is surely quite the undertaking and quite the outcome!

Is the screw in the back for weight changes or the face attachment?

Thank you! The weight is a tungsten insert not for the face. Although a separate face part was something I’ve wanted to test using a more malleable material like aluminum and have a carbon steel or stainless steel body.

Odyssey DFX 3300

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Titleist AP1 710 5-PW

Cobra MAX 4 Hybrid 

PXG 0211 2021 Driver

On 6/1/2024 at 9:05 PM, JacobMMC said:

You are very fortunate to have both the time and the resources to enjoy doing this.  Might be a good idea to involve a couple of professional golfers for feed back.  At least involve someone who are in the industry for awhile for more practical opinions.

23 minutes ago, release said:

I agree however I don’t know how or who to message about feedback. Thanks for the interest in this project!

Odyssey DFX 3300

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Titleist AP1 710 5-PW

Cobra MAX 4 Hybrid 

PXG 0211 2021 Driver

Wow, these are seriously impressive! You can tell how much effort and skill went into the design. It might be worth exploring a kick-starter to see what kind of response there is. A lot of smaller DTC brands are getting popular now which is great. 

IG: @albatrossleather  

https://www.Albatross-Leather.com

Current WITB

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport Champions Choice

58° - Vokey SM9 Raw  /  54° - Vokey SM8 Raw  /  50° - Vokey SM8 Raw

PW-4i - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro ~ KBS Tour 120

Hybrid - Cobra Dark Speed 3H 19° ~ Hazardous Smoke Black S

Hybrid - King Cobra 2H 17° ~ Hazardous Smoke Black S

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9° ~ Graphite Design Tour AD HD 70g S

On deck - (3W - PXG 0341X Gen4 ~ MCA Diamana S+ 70G)(2i Mizuno Fly-Hi ~ Graphite Design Tour AD DI S)

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 6:28 AM, JacobMMC said:

I agree however I don’t know how or who to message about feedback. Thanks for the interest in this project!

Can't help you in that regard, trust and sphere of influence are earned through time trial.  Most the retired professional won't have the time nor interest to get involved unless they have a piece of stake in this.   Check with your local regional circle.  You might find a mentor.

Edited by release

• 3 weeks later...

@JacobMMC 

Have you considered trying to find a job with any of the golf equipment manufacturers to further your ambitions?

Those two club heads and your design portfolio look like they would help bolster a resume.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels