Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Pace of play

Cruise

A very emotive subject this.. UK based response here, but have played in US and I think there are some comparables. 

Firstly, each club needs to understand what is the root cause of the slow play, they need to look at a lot of factors. I don’t think (IMHO) you can just pin it on ‘play ready golf’ (just as an example)… So for me, I’d be looking into several aspects, some thoughts below, which no doubt others can build on. 

1) Course Set up - I’ve seen numerous examples of where the course set-up is hard, and by that I mean cutting strategy on rough, speed of greens, pin placements etc. Just come of a club champ weekend where it was c. 5 hours a round and we hit maybe a dozen provisionals in the round as trying to keep speed up but looking for balls takes time. Other factors that may help here, removing foliage where you have trees, so you can find ball easily and (try to) recover from trees - whereas rough in tree areas adds more time. 

2) Players Responsibility - there is a bunch of stuff we as golfers can do better. Ready golf, absolutely, find / play your ball before looking for others (yes where you can). Also, play from the correct tees for your handicaps.  So, I made up with a 2 ball (course was slow) with couple of chap's to one of my courses - one was a 30WHI and other mid 20’s and insisted playing off the tips at nearly 7000 yards, par 71, rated 75.3 and they couldn’t reach fairways on some tee shots - play the right tees gives you much more enjoyment and yes marshals can help here. Be aware of groups in / around you - lose a hole, call through etc…courses could also provide more guidance on WHI ranges for what tees etc..

3) Look at restricting groups to 3 balls at certain times to keep the course flowing. Or simply more time between tee times (I know one course where the difference is 6 minutes - never gonna work - should be 10mins I reckon)

4)  half way houses - this is an interesting one, we have 1 on my course, and used properly very good, but far too many times people stop for 15-20mins causing delays and get annoyed when you want to play through… falls under 2 player responsibility really I guess

There is probably a bunch of stuff that some have mentioned on rules etc, but can’t see those changing tbh, but in your own 4 ball if not a comp or score counting round then yes have fairness in approach to help speed the game up. 

These are just some quick off top of head thoughts, but too manage this, will be different for each course, so need to understand what the blockers are, take action and have a way to monitor to it to see if works or not..

WITB > Stealth 2 Driver > Mizuno STG 3 & 5 woods > Mizuno 243 Irons > Vokey SM9 Wedges (50,54,60)

"I agree, that's my experience in the US.  Yet at many courses in Scotland, the expectation is 3:45, and 3:30 is pretty common, for 4 players all walking.  Course design has an impact, but the attitude of players is also a factor.  The locals just play more efficiently.

Agree completely.  At my home course I'm pretty happy at 4 hours, even though I like to play faster, and I only begin to complain when it gets over 4:30."

Agree 100% with the above.

When I'm in Ireland, the pace of play is noticeably quicker, and over there it's regarded as a walking game.  IMO it's mostly to do with the design of the courses.  Over there, tees and greens are relatively close to each other.  Here, they often aren't as many courses are designed with carts in mind.  But, carts are an important element in the financial plan of a course operation, and so they aren't going away unfortunately.  For such courses, 4-4.15 with 10 min intervals is probably the best one could hope for.  There is also a player "attitude" aspect.  Over there, unless it's match play, no-one cares who's "away".  You get to your ball, you check that others aren't in your way or swinging themselves, and you hit and move on.  Even when it is match play which it often is, the issue of whose turn it is usually is only observed on the green.  There's also a sense over there of a player's place in the big picture...people recognize that they have a responsibility to move along.  What we don't do enough of here is coach newer golfers on some of the basics.  Replace your divots, fix pitch marks, when you've already reached double par or whatever, pick up and move along.  We also don't do enough to make sure players play the right tees.  It seems to be an ego thing, wanting to play the "Big Boy" tees.  How shooting 110 from there could be good for your ego is a mystery to me.  One of the best signs I've ever seen...on the wall of a course in SW Ireland  "Your place on the course is behind the group in front of you, NOT in front of the group behind you"

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  GP Z-Grip, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.   

I believe there are several factors to playing a 4 hour round and it solely depends on how well and the willingness of the course management handles the ranger’s responsibilities. If the course doesn’t want to piss people off they will lax in moving golfers around the course. That being said, I play in the Myrtle Beach area as a resident, and the group we play with are all pretty good at managing our rounds. The biggest problem we see is that we have a lot of tourists that play from the wrong tee box, and they don’t know how to just pick up their ball after reaching a double bogey stroke number. They also don’t know how to play ready golf, meaning if the players ball is relatively close to each other find your yardage, choose a club and walk to your ball a be ready to play. Too many times we see each player watching the partners hit their shot and then going to their ball, instead of getting to their ball and be ready to play. Personally, I believe the biggest problem is the golfers play from the wrong tee box. Golfers that only play a few times a year on vacation should not play from the members tees(white). They need to move up to the next tee box closer. Especially here in Myrtle Beach due to the additional added hazards having more water and bunkers to manover around. The above description causes 4-1/2 to 5 hour rounds and that is not acceptable, period!

While I agree condensed tee times can exacerbate the problem, the real issues are the golfers themselves.  I'll play 50+ rounds a year at private and public courses and when I find myself behind a slower moving group, it tends to be one of three issues. 

The most common is simply bad golf - 4 players each shooting 95+ is going to take time.  I understand that, but get off the back tees!  Play the tees that match your ability, not your ego.  The game will be much more fun -- for everyone!

Second, is the let's all watch one player hit, then go to the next ball and repeat.  Go to your ball and be ready to play when it's your turn.  Getting yardages, wind, etc., can be done while your partners are getting ready as well.  Yes, golf is an individual sport, but you need to be ready to play when it's your turn.  This type of group easily adds 30-45 minutes to a round.

Finally, just because Tiger, Rory, Scottie or Rahmbo do it doesn't, mean you should too. I see players use aim point, plumb bobbing, circling the ball and the hole a couple of times and the Camillo crouch, all on one putt.  If you're taking longer than a minute to get your line and evaluate your speed, you're simply confusing yourself.

Just my $.02 and rant for the day.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

1 hour ago, St_Jimmy said:

I really hope the majority of people that are in such a hurry are talking about private courses. I get not wanting to stand around after each shot, but there are a finite number of viable hours to play golf, especially when you live somewhere with weather that will close courses for months straight. I played yesterday with my wife and in-laws, both of the women playing are new (less than 5 rounds). Are we not allowed on a municipal course since we need to use different tee boxes and they obviously aren’t good enough to shoot par on every hole yet?

No, we're talking about public courses as well. Beginners can absolutely get out on a course, but they should NOT take 10 strokes hacking it down the fairway at 25-30 yards a whack. At some point, they should pick up and drop the ball on the green, take a putt or two, and move on. If you hit a bad tee ball, just pick it up and play from the same position as whoever hit the best shot. That's what my wife did when she first started playing, and will still occasionally do when it's very busy and she's having an off day. 

Even when she first started playing, as a twosome we could play in 3 hours, and as part of a foursome with other people with the right attitude, under 4.

As a side note, it's up to YOU as the more experienced golfer to teach them to keep the game moving, to understand their limitations, and to be respectful of others on the course.

I'm a walker. I usually play in a 4 some sometimes a 5 some. Yes in Texas they allow 5 to a group. But even with 5 in a group we always catch up to the group in front of us that is usually a 3, 4 or 5 some in carts. 

2 in a cart, in my opinion is what generally slows down pace of play. As well as no regard to golf etiquette.

My 4 or 5 some that walks can catch up to a 3, 4 or 5 some in carts, there is a huge problem.  Please let me explain. 

What I see all over the U.S while playing and it is no different at my home course in Tyler, Tx. When my walking group can catch up and then have to wait to take our next shot is absolutely ridiculous.   This is what I see everyday I play.

When you have 2 per cart a single in a cart or a 4 some and sometimes a 5 some, you will have major issues. 

but for this example we will keep it to a 4 some.  4 people tee off.  After the last person tees off they all head towards their balls. They all stop at the shortest hitters ball. (huge problem) instead of going to the other players balls. Even if the other players balls are just 5 yards away. 

The other players will not get out of the cart to walk 5 yards to get to their golf ball and do their pre-shot routine while the one furthest back is getting ready to hit. They do this for every shot for all 18 holes. This is what is slowing down the golf game. I have never seen or heard anyone talk about this scenario in depth. 

My 4 some or even 5 some walk and go straight to our balls. Everyone is doing their pre-shot routines while waiting their turn to hit.

When my walking 4 some or even 5 some can catch up to a 5 some, 4 some or even a 3 some in golf carts  is absolutely unacceptable. 

Unfortunately there are a lot of golfers that have no concept or regard for being mindful of pace of play and what each person can do to help ensure pace of play could be around  4 hours or less. 

Please do not get me started on golf etiquette.  From what I have seen for years is that most people absolutely get bent out of shape just to let people play through. 

My daughter now 23. When she first got involved in golf, my first  priority was to teach her proper golf etiquette. Understand that it is ok to let players play through if they catch up to you. She actually gets very frustrated now that she has had an excellent jr golf career and  very accomplished college career that most golfers do not follow proper golf etiquette.  Until all this addressed we will always have a pace of play issue.

Ok so that is my 2 cents worth!

Edited by RWATTS
grammer

Mizuno JPX EZ Forged. Taylormade M6 on Graphite Tour AD/DI. Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Black.  

Yeah, I think it's a mixture of a lot of issues. Playing the right set of tees I think would really help a lot. I play a rather difficult course and see so many people shooting 120 instead of moving up. This is a tough one to tackle and I'm not sure how to do it. Maybe don't even put out tee markers for the back tees so the average person will naturally move up one more set? Is she good enough to play from the tips? Maybe you have to use the yard markers to double check your in the right place? I know it's not ideal, but I just don't know how to fix it.

In addition to that, I do think ready golf is part of it. I often see people say they play golf and then never do. Even when I tell people I play ready golf partway through the round I feel pressure to stop because no one else does it. I'm off in torn with etiquette and tradition versus common sense and speed of play. One example would be stepping in-front of a birdie. I tend to play so much quicker than people that I can get to the Teebox get ready hit my shot and be done before they even get up onto the Teebox itself. It's a little silly for me to sit there and wait an extra couple of minutes because someone got a birdie on the hole before. I also think it's silly that we wait 90 seconds for someone else to hit that is also standing on the other side of the fairway and we're both 200 yards out. What's the harm in both people hitting the golf ball at once I think we need to better define ready golf so everyone really knows and make it the rule not the exception. I would go as far as making someone take a seven question multiple-choice test whenever they check in on what is ready golf and reminding people that we require it

Untitled design-3.png

To begin, too many golfers (especially youths) play too far back slowing down their games as they play to a 100 or more.  Suggest the pro shop or starter guide players to the correct tees (I hear this is mandatory at Bethpage Black for example).  You know, what's your average score or how far do you typically hit the driver?

Then, notices should be posted to mark your scores on the following tee box, not near the green.

Finally, the cart girls should be trained to operate quickly and urge the players to do same.....watching the group take 10 minutes in front of you can be very trying.

Dave Mueller

14 minutes ago, SecondandGoal said:

No, we're talking about public courses as well. Beginners can absolutely get out on a course, but they should NOT take 10 strokes hacking it down the fairway at 25-30 yards a whack. At some point, they should pick up and drop the ball on the green, take a putt or two, and move on. If you hit a bad tee ball, just pick it up and play from the same position as whoever hit the best shot. That's what my wife did when she first started playing, and will still occasionally do when it's very busy and she's having an off day. 

Even when she first started playing, as a twosome we could play in 3 hours, and as part of a foursome with other people with the right attitude, under 4.

As a side note, it's up to YOU as the more experienced golfer to teach them to keep the game moving, to understand their limitations, and to be respectful of others on the course.

I coached HS golf - boys and girls for 31 years.  In a very small rural school.    120 HS students.   We had no pro etc..   90% of the kids had never played or very little.  We had great success introducing the game to our kids by requiring these things.

#1- Learn how to move around a golf course quickly.  Never walk back for your bag/pushcart.  Always prepare for your shot while your playing partners are playing theirs.  Place bag/cart near path to next tee.  Continuously PUTT out!   So many average to poor players feel they need to mark their putts.   Take some time to read putt-- then FINISH.    Softspikes have removed nearly all impetous to avoid this.

#2  Practice swings!  LIMIT them.  Not needed if you just duffed it.  Concentrate-- Swing.  My girls teams were always in the state tournament and played well.  We never wore ourselves out with excessive practice swings.  

#3-  March-- don't stroll.  Get to your ball quickly then slow down..SOME..

#4- Put your club in your bag AFTER driving off-- or while walking.  Write your score on the NEXT TEE.  Drives me crazy seeing players spending so much time stowing away all their gear and THEN moving away.  Do this on the move-- or even when you arrive at the next tee  when riding.

"The single most important thing to teach new golfers is how to MOVE along"  Heard this from a professional and it is true.  No one likes playing with or behind a snail.   In my experience it really helps the new player as well.   

In My Bag

Driver- Cobra LTDZ-LS- IM 10 Stiff-  Alternating w/ Mizuno STX 230

Fwy- Tour Edge C722 #5 turned down to 16.5,   PXG 0211- #7

Utility- Maltby KE 4 Tour 22 Degree

Irons- Maltby TS-1 IM- Aldila NV Iron- #5-#6-75 gram, #7-8-9  85 Gram,  PW-GW   95 Gram

Wedges- Maltby TSW 54- 58

Putter- TP- Mills- Nellie Anvil Stainless,  David Mills IV workshop, 

Ball- TM- TP 5,  Bridgestone Brxs

2 minutes ago, Eric Harrison said:

10 minutes, 4-4.5 hours,r good times,but what about double par limit on holes r double bogey on holes, lots of league's use it to speed up play 

We used that for nearly our entire season as we had NOVICE golfers.   We used "courtesy six" as our threshold.   Six shots- pick up- one chip- two putts to finish so they experience all facets of the game.

In My Bag

Driver- Cobra LTDZ-LS- IM 10 Stiff-  Alternating w/ Mizuno STX 230

Fwy- Tour Edge C722 #5 turned down to 16.5,   PXG 0211- #7

Utility- Maltby KE 4 Tour 22 Degree

Irons- Maltby TS-1 IM- Aldila NV Iron- #5-#6-75 gram, #7-8-9  85 Gram,  PW-GW   95 Gram

Wedges- Maltby TSW 54- 58

Putter- TP- Mills- Nellie Anvil Stainless,  David Mills IV workshop, 

Ball- TM- TP 5,  Bridgestone Brxs

42 minutes ago, No3Putts said:

While I agree condensed tee times can exacerbate the problem, the real issues are the golfers themselves.  I'll play 50+ rounds a year at private and public courses and when I find myself behind a slower moving group, it tends to be one of three issues. 

The most common is simply bad golf - 4 players each shooting 95+ is going to take time.  I understand that, but get off the back tees!  Play the tees that match your ability, not your ego.  The game will be much more fun -- for everyone!

Second, is the let's all watch one player hit, then go to the next ball and repeat.  Go to your ball and be ready to play when it's your turn.  Getting yardages, wind, etc., can be done while your partners are getting ready as well.  Yes, golf is an individual sport, but you need to be ready to play when it's your turn.  This type of group easily adds 30-45 minutes to a round.

Finally, just because Tiger, Rory, Scottie or Rahmbo do it doesn't, mean you should too. I see players use aim point, plumb bobbing, circling the ball and the hole a couple of times and the Camillo crouch, all on one putt.  If you're taking longer than a minute to get your line and evaluate your speed, you're simply confusing yourself.

Just my $.02 and rant for the day.

Oh my goodness, I could not agree more with:

"Second, is the let's all watch one player hit, then go to the next ball and repeat.  Go to your ball and be ready to play when it's your turn.  Getting yardages, wind, etc., can be done while your partners are getting ready as well.  Yes, golf is an individual sport, but you need to be ready to play when it's your turn.  This type of group easily adds 30-45 minutes to a round."

This, IMO is the single greatest factor in slow play.  every group that is slow by me is doing exactly this!  And as a faster group behind, all ready to play each of our balls, it can drive you nuts.

Another issue: when you are shooting 95+, does it really matter if you follow every rule exactly?  For example, do you really need to go back to the tee box if you can't find your ball or you realize you're out of bounds?  I think there should be some local rules modifications to aid in higher handicaps making FASTER decisions, not necessarily "correct" decisions.  But that's when you lose a bunch of players who want to play like they PGA guys play on the weekends.  But following those real rules can make some groups very slow, especially when you have players who are in trouble on almost every hole. 

1 hour ago, Golf Detective said:

Courses and system is totally at fault: Courses are more interested in pushing as many tee times as possible for the money.They could care less about pace of play. Before allowing any golfer on the course, do as Europe countries do. All players have to pass the following tests: an etiquette test: a players ability test to see what days they can play and from what tees they are allowed to play from. Have rangers which actually enforce pace of play policies instead of just riding around in carts doing nothing! USGA AND PGA NEEDS TO GET OFF THEIR LAZY BUTT AND ACTUALLY BE PROACTIVE WITH PACE OF PLAY. PGA Tour needs to grow some “golf balls” and make the players stop taking all day to play any shot! The tour players are the absolute worst example to our youth on the etiquette of pace of play! Our youth watch and duplicate these ding bats so that’s how they learn to play the game so it gets passed down thru the generations and just gets worse!

I can attest to this…went to a buddy’s kids local tournament…3 hours through 9 holes…every kid had a pre-shot routine and they wouldn’t deviate…even on their 8th shot…ridiculous.  Every putt was marked, paced off, looked at from every angle…only to knock it 6 feet past the hole.  I left after 9 holes.  Couldn’t take any more of that nonsense.  And the group lead kept telling the kids to pick up the pace but none of the parents backed him up.  Was darn near criminal.  But this is exactly what they see when they watch professional golf (I’m talking to you Patrick Cantlay) and is what they are taught by their teaching pros - - stick to your routine no matter what. How about a double bogey max pick up?  

Driver - Titleist 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.0

Timely post from Arrcos and USGA “Tee It Forward” program. According to this, I’m playing too far back, and I’ve always thought I was playing too far forward! Moving up would definitely accelerate pace of play for high handicappers like myself, as most of the delay on a hole is spent looking for a drive in the trees.

IMG_1716.jpeg

The course I work at is a Semi-Private Country Club.  It's not a 7,000-yard course from the tips, which is deceiving to the weekend warrior.  

The bad thing, I play the course 3 to 4 times a week.  I walk 18 holes with three other gents and know how long a round should take.   While we are the first group out and walk the course in 3 hrs to 3:15, we enjoy each other's company, but play ready golf and no one takes offense. 

• The course is rated for 4 hours of play. 10-minute tee time intervals. 
  • The first thing I see from the public, as a Ranger -  Players playing the Incorrect tees. 
  • Riding in a golf cart gives players the ability to ride along with their friends and not play faster golf. 
  • One other issue contributing to slow play, which the public doesn't get, you book a twosome, you will be paired with another twosome. After they play the first hole together, they separate. Now you have two twosomes playing apart stacking up.  The twosomes catches the groups in front of them and now wait. Then complain about slow play.  I'll ask why they separated, it's always the same excuse, well I don't like playing with people I don't know. 

Some people just don't get the concept of pace of play. The weekend is their time out. 

Working as a Ranger this past year has been a learning experience.  99% of the people are nice & respectful & will comply with your request to pick up the pace.  But the 1% stand out, they are rude & don't care what you have to say, especially as the Ranger. It happened this past Saturday. The 20-somethings who lack respect for the course, others behind them, and the staff, sometimes overshadow the good! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Private club player. We don't have tee times, players tee off when the fairway is clear. 4 hour rounds at most, usually less. 

Three keys: ready golf, everyone reads their putts at the same time, keep up with the group ahead of you.

The reality is that this is not necessarily the courses fault in most cases.  This comes down to the golfers and not knowing what golf etiquette or common courtesy is.  We have seen a huge spike in times here in the Seattle area, and it all started during and right after COVID.  I think new players well out number the experienced on municipal course, which does not help.  I'm tired of seeing people take multiple shot off the tee, not picking up when they're double par and still in the fairway (or not), taking 4, 5, 6 putts, etc.  These players need to learn to just pick up the ball and continue on.  Course marshals would be nice too.  I recently played Chambers Bay, which is a course down the street from my house.  $200 for a round that took almost 6 hours and no marshal.  Again though, this came down to a group three ahead of us that were 3 holes behind.  I could see them teeing off on a par 3, started a timer on them, it took their group 18 minutes to clear the hole. This is a situation of people who weren't prepared for difficult course conditions and no marshal.  Long story short....I guess I really don't know what the exact answer is to fix this.  Maybe people having personal accountability and being held responsible for their behaviors???  What a concept.

Ok

We've talked about this before. I worked as a starter for two courses during the summers when l wasn't teaching. Most people who play slowly do so because they are a victim of tv golf. They pattern themselves after what they think they are seeing on tour. Tour players are actually playing quickly for the most part. For instance we have a group that goes out with two carts. They all 4 hit and off they all go to the first guys ball. They all watch in awe as that guy hits and everyone drives over to the next guys ball and the whole ridiculous process is repeated for the rest of the day. And yes we tell them to play ready golf but in the end it is up to them. Marshals should be on the course (l can't remember the last time l saw one) to nudge them along. But they must have the power and backing of the course to actually do something. Have them pick up and move ahead. Time them on a hole. Remove them from the course, return their money and ask that they come back on a less busy day. Also, teeing off from proper tees shouldn't be just about driving distance but also average score. I know a dozen guys can drive the ball 250 or more but they can't break 90 because 40 yards is in the woods! I know clubs in Germany and France that have done this and playing time reflects it. This equals more rounds and more money for the club.

Edited by Mereplogle

11 minutes ago, Mimisaurus said:

Timely post from Arrcos and USGA “Tee It Forward” program. According to this, I’m playing too far back, and I’ve always thought I was playing too far forward! Moving up would definitely accelerate pace of play for high handicappers like myself, as most of the delay on a hole is spent looking for a drive in the trees.

IMG_1716.jpeg

Interesting.  Here’s how I do it.  Start at forward tees.  Once you break 80, then move back and break 80 from those tees.  So on and so forth.  Earn those longer distances.  I have broken 80 from 6600 yards (and recently shot 85 from 6900+ playing the tips on a dare), but I normally play from ~6200.  And works in reverse….once you start shooting over 80 routinely move up a set of boxes.  This is actually a great way to start the season.  No sense in discouragement and usually only takes 3-4 rounds and you are right back where you ended last season (for those that can’t golf year-round).

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

The game of golf should begin on the practice area. Driving range, chipping area and green. There is no test or proficiency level but there should be. If new golfers had an inkling of what they should be doing, the game would move along at least a bit better. Teach new golfers how to read a score card. There is an abundance of information on it. Handicaps (hardest to easiest holes), distance, and in most cases where hazzards are. All of the other suggestions are relevant and would certainly help. I believe we have to work on the start.

To add on to my first post on the pace of play discussion. As I stated, the governing bodies as the PGA, the R&A, the PGA Tour and the USGA have to take not only the lead role fixing this together. They can not try to fix it in just their own arena. They need to unite as one and lead the way!

Remember when the first chapter in the rule book was on etiquette? Well if the USGA truly cared about fixing this, then WHY on earth did they remove that chapter from the rule book?!!! 

I believe we need individuals at the top of the governing bodies that will get things done and not just sit around twiddling their thumbs acting important because they have a title! Take some common sense damn action and quit being afraid. They need to grow some backbone!

In the golf industry over 40 years.

played since age 8.

Low round 63, 3 rounds at 29.

Expert in most all aspects of the game; equipment, fitting, instruction.

Host golf radio show.

4 minutes ago, Marty2shanks said:

Interesting.  Here’s how I do it.  Start at forward tees.  Once you break 80, then move back and break 80 from those tees.  So on and so forth.  Earn those longer distances.  I have broken 80 from 6600 yards (and recently shot 85 from 6900+ playing the tips on a dare), but I normally play from ~6200.  And works in reverse….once you start shooting over 80 routinely move up a set of boxes.  This is actually a great way to start the season.  No sense in discouragement and usually only takes 3-4 rounds and you are right back where you ended last season (for those that can’t golf year-round).

Love this approach. Can I ask what happens if you’re playing with a group and they’re not up for playing 5200-5400 yards? You just hit from your own tee box? Relatively new to golf and have always just played the tees the group I’m with has decided on. 

On 6/22/2024 at 6:59 PM, goaliedad30 said:

At 10 minutes, you will end up at 4 hours best case, not counting the first groups out in the morning. 

On 6/22/2024 at 3:34 PM, goaliedad30 said:

What are your tee time intervals? At 8 or 9 minutes, it will slow down. 10 minutes should make 4 hours or less do-able by most.

This.... 

Time intervals can make a big difference. 

I experienced this at a course that goes out at 10 minute intervals and thought it was quite pleasant be cause we didn't have to wait at all for the crew in front of us.

It wasn't until I got back to my home course where they go out at 8 minute intervals that I realized just how bit the difference 2 minutes can make. 

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

This subject is kinda a sore thumb for me. When I initially got into golf, before it started getting super popular. I would go and play as a nice way to get out in the sun to have a relaxing day where I just shoot some holes with some friends. Was never bothered to pick up pace. Then golf got popular and I had the golf attendants always on my arse trying to make me speed up. It's not like I was trying to go slow and I would always let other groups past if they were getting close or if I was holding them up. My main delay was always looking for my ball which I believe regulations allow you to look for at least 2 minutes? Or if there is no one behind me I can see I might take another shot or two to get some practice in. Let me be clear, I only took extra shots when the groups behind me weren't even a concern or if my friend was looking for their ball already. Ya it could have technically made me take longer, but I'm not holding anyone up as I went faster than the people behind me so it really grinds my gears when the super intendent comes up to me and tells me to speed up like me going faster would somehow also magically make the people behind me catch up. I feel like golf courses are always just trying to squeeze in those extra golfers to make more money.

What I think would be a good solution to speed up play is instead of golf carts they should have mini mopeds are some other device that allows people to drive individually to their balls. These devices should also have a little blocker shield so that if you are in front of the other players you don't have to worry about getting hit by the person who didn't shoot as far and is probably not as well of a player. 

Golfing is to focus yet not focus on your shot at the same time. 

It is critical to play the proper tees which doesn't happen as much as it should. Too many times I see players who are more than likely high handicappers playing from the back tees struggling to get off that tee thereby slowing play considerably. Courses need to implement handicap requirements to play tees and enforce them as much as possible. Also, if you are taking your 9th shot on a par 4, pick it up and move on, its not going to affect your handicap making a 10 or more.

10 minutes ago, Mimisaurus said:

Love this approach. Can I ask what happens if you’re playing with a group and they’re not up for playing 5200-5400 yards? You just hit from your own tee box? Relatively new to golf and have always just played the tees the group I’m with has decided on. 

I just play my own tee box.  Often did this when playing with my sons/nephews.  I have a nephew that hit driver then PW to three feet on a 500 yard par 5…I can’t keep up with that firepower.  And just tell the group you are new to golf and learning the game and need to play forward until you earn your way back.  I think most groups would appreciate that.  

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

For a weekend round and the course is full, 4 hours seems pretty good. 

It's been mentioned before, but I think one of the biggest drivers of pace of play is tee time interval. anything under 10 minutes is just setting up for slow days, I wish it could go to 12-15 min intervals, but that would probably lead to higher green fees too.

I think short par 4s that might be reachable off the tee also can slow things down. 

I've heard of some course will have a guy drive around with some free golf balls and just give them to folks if they keep spending loads of time looking for balls ... could  be something there

Love some good Breakfast Tacos and Biscuits

Driver: :PXG: 0311BlackOps

Wood: :PXG: 0311 Gen 6, 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons: :PXG: 0311P Gen6,  4 iron - Gap Wedge

Wedges: :PXG: Sugar Daddy II, 52* and 56* 

Putter: :PXG: Battle Ready II, Bat Attack 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: :Arccos: and :918457628_PrecisionPro:

4 hours ago, Bryn DAndrea said:

Mandatory caddies between 7am-1pm or whatever the busiest part of the day is? Forecaddies at my club help even the slowest folks play quicker, find their ball, rake their bunker, and remind them of how slowly they are playing. 

Just played Ballybunion last Thursday, everyone had caddies and the two 4somes in front had caddies and a fore caddy, still took 5:45 to play. Tee times are 15 minutes apart according to our caddie, the group in front had finished the first hole when our 4some teed off, by hole three we were waiting every hole because they were playing some game, both groups in front of us were doing it. According to our driver the fore caddie playing with them quit because it was taking too long. 

Caddies aren't a fix if the players refuse to play quickly, and putt 5 times.

It was windy, but weather wasn't really a huge factor, sunny and 60s.

I believe this tour bus group was from South Africa. 

No other round we played took that long, even in crappy weather. 

Edited by hoppman