Good morning All!

First time poster. Been playing golf more seriously after college, played often when stationed in Hawaii, now a little less when transferred to Boston by the Army. Originally was fit into a full PXG bag (pricey!) when I had little knowledge of golf/equipment. Bag is now a mixed bag, not professionally fit, and definitely not optimal. 

Driver: Srixon ZX5, 9.5 Degree, Setting changes by the day. Shaft: Graphite Tour UB7X, 45.25" length,  My ego/swinging as hard as I can on Trackman tricked me into thinking heavy = better. 100 Driver CHS tells a different story, currently may trade for a 6S/ 6X Graphite Tour shaft. Suggestions appreciated. 

Woods:

PXG 0317X 5 Wood, set to 16.5*. Shaft: HZRDUS Yellow XS, +1 inch Length. Only Survivor of initial PXG Bag. Also convinced shaft is way too heavy. 

Srixon ZX MKII 7 Wood, Graphite Tour AD XC, Standard Length. Newest impulse purchase after selling Titleist TSI3 3 Hybrid (beyond my skill level). Consistent Push Draw, all other clubs are either normal "draw" (mostly hooks) or pull hooks. New Favorite. 

4 Hybrid: Maltby STH2 24*, 39.75" length. UST Proforce 85X Shaft, also too heavy (I believe). Also impulse purchase after moving to Boston. Better results that 4 iron regardless of shaft weight. 

Irons: Mizuno MP57 (2008, my elderly bag member), 5-P. KBS $-Taper 125 S+ shafts, +.25 length, 1 up. Shoutout to The Golf Bench for the build, superb build and customer service. Might be a little short for me (6'4), I've had single digit chunks and endless tops, although definite user error. Not forgiving for a player of my caliber (18 HCP), but I do enjoy the predictability of well struck shots carrying roughly the same distance. Carry distance starts around 120 with the PW, 5 Iron (27*) can get around 180 carry with a well struck shot (rare). 

Wedges: 

51+ Edison V1 Wedge, FST 115 Stiff +.25 length. Another Boston addition but my favorite club at the moment. Definitely a signal that lighter/less stiff shafts might be my future. Hit nearly every 90 yard and in shot with it. 

57* Wilson Staff Model Wedge, KBS Tour 125 shaft, +.25 Length. Currently only used for short pitch and sand shots. Might think about an FST Shaft given my Edison success. 

Putter: Forgot this initially. Putter is a Bettinardi 2021 Studio Stock 7 with a Garsen Max 15" grip. Only issue with the putter is the lack of putts made! A Kapalua headcover lets my playing partners know I missed countless putts on one of the most beautiful courses in the world. 

Ball: Ask for AVX or Pro V1s as a gift, but I buy Maxfli Tour/Tour S. At my Handcap/Skill level, little difference felt/seen, so the least of my improvement worries. MGS was the biggest influence on choosing MaxFlis, and I have not been disappointed (I have played MaxFli Tour this entire summer off 1 discounted, 4 dozen pack). 

A professional fitting could certainly help me optimize shafts/carry distance, but in my opinion lessons and more consistency on my end is needed before I can chase "optimal" equipment that'll add up on the credit card. 

Overall a lot of impulse purchases that are hit and miss. Would love to hear any opinions on the bag. Cheers!

Bennett

Edited by Bcamp43
Add

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5, Graphite Tour AD7X

Woods: :PXG:0317X 5 Wood, HRZDUS Yellow XS. :srixon-small: ZX MKII 7 Wood, Tour AD XC

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP57s 5-P (2008)

Wedges: Edison V1 51*, FST 115. :wilson_staff_small: Model Wedge, 57*, KBS Hi-Rev 125. 

Putter: :bettinardi-small: 2021 Studio Stock 7, :garsen: Tour Max 15"

Scratch Range Player, 18 HCP On Course.

33 minutes ago, JB2334 said:

WITB...most of what I'm playing with right now was purchased in 2021 when I finally had the time to get back into playing regularly. Callaway MAVRIK was the hot item at the time, so that's what I bought. In retrospect, I wish I would have had a fitting and made sure what I got was the best for me...but...I haven't had any issues either.

IMG_3895.jpg.64b76e8e5a4a64b2f093a8b70a90ce74.jpg

Driver: Callaway MAVRIK 10.5 degrees dialed down to 9.5, Project X HZRDUS T800 stiff (safe for now, likely to be replaced after irons)

Fairway Wood: Callaway MAVRIK 15 degree, Project X HZRDUS T800 stiff (safe-ish...I don't really use it very often. Might bag it for gap wedge.)

Hybrid: Callaway MAVRIK 3 Hybrid, Project X Catalyst 75 stiff (safe - 2nd most confident club in my bag)

Irons: Callaway MAVRIK 5-AW, KBS Max 80 Steel stiff (next clubs to be replaced, exploring player's distance options)

Ball: I've played a lot different balls the last year or so, trying to find the right balance of value/quality. For the most part, you get what you pay for. I've settled on Maxfli Tour being the best total value right now for mid-handicappers like me, so that's what I usually play. Every once in a while I get froggy and buy some ProV1s - but they seem to be far more attracted to water and woods than the Maxfli balls are - proof that a lot of golf is completely mental.

Here's the rest of the story...

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 - 56 degree, F grind, 14 degree bounce | 60 degree, M grind, 8 degree bounce. This is another one of those lessons in "you get what you pay for." I received these wedges for Father's Day this year. I would have never put out that kind of money for wedges...until now. Now I get it...nothing matches the feel and spin they produce. These clubs are absolutely safe and will not be replaced until I wear them out.

IMG_3896.jpeg.d70b37e4fd84de00eccf3b9291a814bb.jpeg

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5+ Another one of those things I would have probably never shelled out the money for, but got it for Father's Day last year. What can I say - I raised my sons right...lol. I had always been an Odyssey guy, but that's over now. This club is also absolutely safe, probably for life.

IMG_3897.jpg.affb3eb0cab740835dae14a3884fb468.jpg

Most important club in my bag: Tommy Armour 845 2 iron, True Temper Dynamic Gold x100 shaft. All the technology and improvements in golf clubs over the last few decades, and the one club I have the most confidence in is a 35-year old 2 iron. This club was part of my Dad's set of 845s that he purchased in the late 80's/early 90's. He sent them to me in the late 90's, and used them until I bought this set in 2021...but I kept the 2 iron. It is my fairway finder, my rescue club, whatever I need it to be. I am always entertained when one my sons decides they want to try and hit it...it's like an old car that only the owner knows how to start. No matter how bad I'm playing, I will somehow hit this club pure almost every time.

IMG_3898.jpeg.c08282c24cfee5b960a2e5e6ece44642.jpeg

Two iron looks incredible, what loft does it play at?

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5, Graphite Tour AD7X

Woods: :PXG:0317X 5 Wood, HRZDUS Yellow XS. :srixon-small: ZX MKII 7 Wood, Tour AD XC

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP57s 5-P (2008)

Wedges: Edison V1 51*, FST 115. :wilson_staff_small: Model Wedge, 57*, KBS Hi-Rev 125. 

Putter: :bettinardi-small: 2021 Studio Stock 7, :garsen: Tour Max 15"

Scratch Range Player, 18 HCP On Course.

Stealth 2: Driver, 3HL, 7, hybrid (4,5,6)

Stealth: irons 7-A

Hi Toe wedges 54 and 5

Stealth 2 Driver, 3HL and 7

Sub 70 hybrids 4,5,6

Stealth irons 7-pw

sub 70 wedges 50, 54, 58

LAB Putter(s). DF 2.1 and MezzMax

Just got new set of sticks and went with a bit of a different set up. I have been trying to work through what is best for my distances. 

Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver

Taylormade 2H and 4H qi10 

Taylormade P790 5-AW

Titlest Vokey Sm10 50 | 54 | 60

Lab Df2.1 Putter

Craig Linder

😀Ping G400 max driver  10.5, Alta CB reg

😶Sub 70 949s 3 wood, 15, Project X High Launch 4.5 Sr

😐Cobra Bio hybrid 16-19, reg 

😀Mizuno ST-Z-230 hybrid 22, UST Mamiya Ling F3 75   reg

😀Sub 70 699 Pro v2, 5-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil 660 SC Reg

😐Sub 70 286 Forged Wedge, 48 & 54, KBS Tour Lite

😶Adams Tom Watson Signature 60

😀Odyssey Backstryke Blade, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball SRT, TM Spider X SX-72 Copper, Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 (depending on which is not in timeout)  or as a last resort SeeMore brass FGP (original)

Cobra LTDx LS 9° set at 7.5° - Steadfast Jupiter 1 (S)

Cobra SZ 3 and 5 Motoré S

PXG 7 Diamana S

Ping iE1 4-6 Recoil (s)

Cobra Forged Tec One 7-PW KBS Tourlite

Cobra Snakebite GW, SW

LA Golf 41" Armlock

Jumbomax MD grips

ProV1 x

Cobra LTDx LS (Hzrdus Smoke Black, S), Ping i3 (Recoil S), Cobra one length wedges (KBS Tour), L.A.B. DF 2.1 putter

As a veteran I couldn't turn down the deal from PXG. SO, Driver Gen 5 , 3 wood Gen 6, Black ops hybrid 4 and 5, 6-PW Gen 5, 0311 wedges; 58, 54, Gap.  Because we play where you're apt to be in pebbels (gravel) I kept my old hybrid 3 Cobra pro baffler in the bag. Putter is the Ping Piper. It's old but so am I. Everything except the Cobra is senior shaft graphite. I really like and enjoy the clubs, the set gave me back a little of the distance I have lost.

Will share a pic later.

Driver is Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond at 10.5 degrees with a Denali 6.5 60g shaft and 3 strips of lead tape in the toe

3 wood is Titleist TS2 (15 degree) at 14.25 degrees with a Diamana PD 6.5 70g shaft and 2 strips of lead tape in the toe

Hybrid is the OG Callaway UW 19 degrees with a Ventus Black 8x and 2 strips of lead tape in the toe

Irons are a combo New Level set, 4-6 are 902 forged and 7-PW are PF1. 5-PW have Project X 6.5 and bent 1 degree flat. The 4 iron has an Evenflow 6.5 100g hybrid shaft in it with one piece of lead tape

Wedges are Titleist SM10s 50, 56, and 60 degrees with Project X 6.5 in the 50 and TT S400s in the 56 and 60. all 3 are bent 1.5 degrees flat and the 60 has 1 strip of lead tape for weighting

The putterS... depending on who's working... Scotty Cameron Newport Beach (recently refinished in black), Taylormade Bandon 3 (current gamer), and the experiment... an Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Armlock version that I converted into a counterbalance putter like the Jailbird rage right now. Why not give it a try lol

Golf Pride 360 Standard across everything

HDCP 3.3

WITB:

OG SIM 8 degree Ventus Blue 6x

TSI2 13 degree Ventus Blue 7x

UW 19 degree Ventus TR Black 8x 

New Level 4-PW PX 6.5 (4-6 902 Forged, 7-PW PF1)

Vokey 50, 56, 60 (PX 6.5 in 50, others TI S400)

Putter.... Newport Beach Studio Stainless Scotty OR Taylormade Bandon

My WITB is in my signature. But I'll add the details and picture here as well. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Diamana PD 60G TX flex shaft.

Woods: Krank 13° Mini driver and 23° 7 wood, Callaway Rogue ST LS 18° 5 wood.

Irons: MizunoPro 245's 5-GW w/ Dynamic Gold 100g steel shafts.

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° loft 10° bounce SW, Callaway Jaws Raw 58° loft 10° bounce LW.

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One milled Seven T CH.

My golf bag hasn't been directly influenced by GyGolfSpy, yet, but I have been reading a lot of announcements and reviews on certain clubs that I may want to be replacing. 

Like the fairway woods, I am not sure about the ones I have right now as I don't get to hit them very often. Also the 5 iron, that I rarely use, even when playing longer courses in the area. That goes the same for the fairway woods. On a majority of the par 5's at my club I don't always have to use them.

I have been looking a lot more lately on wedges. Fixing the gapping between the PW to LW. The online wedge fitting tools that MyGolfSpy has been posting has been very helpful. I'm planning on replacing the 5i and another fairway wood with a couple of extra wedges. The last couple of months I have been working more on my short game anyway, and my scores and handicap have been dropping due to that. 

Also have been working on speed training and drills. I almost forgot to mention my RypStick that I keep in the bag.

20240812_113147.jpg

Edited by SavvyGolfGuy
Misspelling

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 8° Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana PD 60g TX

Fairway Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST LS 5w Krank Formula FIRE 3+ 13°

Irons: :mizuno-small: Pro 245's

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Zipcore RTX 54°

Wedge: :callaway-logo-1: JAWS RAW Matte Black 58°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Milled Seven T CH

Bag: :Ogio: Woode 15 Cart Bag

Ball: :callaway-logo-1: Chrome Tour

X Profile: TheSavvyGolfer (@SavvyGolfNC)

Gary Patrick, club builder&fitter since 96. Taught club building for Golfsmith. Certified fitter at Golfsmith. Worked for Golfsmith for 3 yrs. Managed multiple stores in an 11 store group of Nevada Bob's in Chicago land. Currently playing all Maltby clubs. 4-PW TS1 1m irons with Nippon shafts 8-PW  Modus Pro 105s, 7-4 8950gh all regular flex, 56°&60° Wedges TSW Modus Pro 105s Stiff (double soft stepped) for extra 1000 rpms. Driver KE4 TC Max (adjustable 10°) with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 50grm Stiff 44 3/4" shafts. KE4 TC 16° 4 wood with Grafalloy Prolaunch GWX 60grm Stiff shaft. KE4 TC Pro IST 20° (adjustable head) 7 wood with same shaft as 4. Putter pure-Track PTM-5 CL Mallet with Pure Track SS ( multi metal 265grm) shaftxZenergy Pistol GT 2.0 Super Stroke grip 34". All clubs but driver Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Mid, driver Dri-Tac Lite 23grm Mid. I'm 75 play to 10.5 index. absolutely love my clubs, gamed them for 1 1/2 yrs. Came from all Pings had my I3 Blades 3-LW for 24 yrs.

GW same set up as SW&LW. Maxfli cart bag, RedRooster glove, FJ Shoes (4 pair) Millar garb, Maxfli Tour ball.

Edited by Gary Patrick
Left out GW and ball.

Good Morning..

Driver: Callaway XR 16

3 Wood Callaway Big Bertha 815 @ 15 Degrees

2 Hybrid Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 @ 19 Degrees

3 Hybrid Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 @ 21 Degrees

5-GW Maltby Maltby TS1 IM UST Mamiya Recoil Dart Graphite F4 75G

Maltby MAX Milled Wedge @ 54 Degrees UST Mamiya Recoil Dart Graphite F4 90G

Maltby MAX Milled Wedge @ 58 Dergees UST Mamiya Recoil Dart Graphite F4 90G

Putter Odyssey Versa 7

Pro V1

Edited by Cryhavoc
Added Equip

Driver- Cobra LTDX 9°.  3wood-Tour Edge Exotics 15°.  5wood-Callaway Maverick.  Hybrid- Cobra LTDX 19°.  Irons- 4 thru gw  Cobra LTDX.  Vokey 58° sandwedge and a Odyssey mini seven putter.  Bag is a Ping hoofer.

Driver and 3W Cobra Darkspeed Max 3H-5H Ping G430 

7-SW Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke

58* CBX Zipcore 

Odyssey Tri Hot Rossie (will be replaced when Scotty Phantom 11 arrives)

Edited by Shinnman

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

Here is my WITB. 

I’ve only been golfing for a year so it’s still very much a bag still being built. 

I managed to pick up my TaylorMade Mcgb irons from the local pro after having a lesson. Apparently a member of the club always updates his clubs so had traded these in for some money off. They were in good condition and consist of 4i through to SW. The local pro also chucked in the 60degree TaylorMade Hi toe. The 3w and the 5w that can be seen are actually clubs I’ve borrowed from an in-law, with the hope of upgrading once I’m able to. There’s no driver in the bag either at the moment but that may change very soon as I may be going for a fitting for one on Saturday. The only new club in my bag, which I did have a fitting for and is new is my Odyssey white hot double wide putter. It’s a great putter for feel and it was a toss up between this and a Bettinardi. I felt the Odyssey gave me better feedback with strike. 

Mygolfspy hasn’t necessarily influenced my bag as yet due to most of it being used when I purchased them but I constantly use the site for information on the equipment I may well purchase in the future. I do sign up to a lot of the testers wanted when they come through to try and broaden my bag. 

IMG_1127.jpeg

Hey MGS! Proud Lefty here!! It used to be a pain to find good equipment as a lefty but I'm happy to report for the most part that is no longer true. Below is a detailed WITB for me. I've always been a tinkerer and have never had a fitting. Everything I have has been chosen based on trial/error and finding what works best based on performance on the course, then backed up by an occasional trip to a sim to see how the numbers stack up. What I've found for me, is that if it passes the eye/feel test on the range/course, the sim numbers are usually better than whatever is being replaced. If it doesn't play better on the course, it doesn't stay in the bag and likely doesn't even get a sim session. As a 'newer' MGS member, I'll say MGS has helped inform my equipment purchases over the years but I've also sought info from a variety of sources. So, what's in the bag? Read on to see and take a look at the pics at the end. 

Bag: Sun Mountain 14-way divider cart bag USA/Americana theme. Is it safe? Likely, but the Sun Mountain hybrid 14 bag has been tempting me. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9 degree. Hosel set to A4. Weight setting is currently in the neutral setting. Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X shaft to help keep the flight down. All black leather Titleist headcover. Second season in the bag because it reduced dispersion from prior driver. Unless fatigue has set in, I regularly hit a nice controlled fade with the driver. Is it safe? I think that is a coin toss, if I try a different driver and it reduces dispersion, then the TSR3 could be replaced.

Fairway: Titleist TSi3 3-wood 15 degree. Hosel set to A4. Weight setting currently "H". Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X shaft. Black/Greay stars and stripes barrel headcover from Titleist. Second season in the bag. If I'm on the tee (shoot even off the deck I can turn it over easily if necessary) and absolutely must hit a draw, this one gets it done. It is likely the most safe club in the bag at the top end. It simply goes where I want it to and it carries a long way. 

Fairway: Titleist TSR2 5-wood 18 degree. Hosel set to A4. Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S shaft. I really like that this one flies high, lands soft and is consistent in the distance it carries. Black/Blue camo barrel headcover from Titleist. First season in the bag. I had a gap between the 3 and the 4 hybrid that I just couldn't fill the way I wanted. Got to try the TSR2 and ended up ordering one as soon as I got back to the house. Safe? For now, yes. It's too new to need replacing but that won't stop me from trying something else if I come across something interesting. 

Hybrid: Titleist TSR3 4/21 degree. Hosel set to D4. Weight setting currently "T1". Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9X shaft. Titleist Jet Black Leather Headcover. This replaced a TSi3 that just did not work for me at all. Its only been in the bag for this season. It's a great club off the tee, in the rough, and from the short grass. It is also safe for now. It is the newest club in the bag so it will likely be here for a few seasons. 

Irons: Titleist T100 Black. 5-P. True Temper AMT Tour White X100 shafts. These are safe in the bag. They feel great, have nice forgiveness, and the black finish is simply awesome! I have a pic below that shows the face of one of the irons, that is about the average wear for these right now. The finish has held up nicely IMHO. Second season in the bag. Ordered these when I learned they would be available lefty. I used to play blades but had started to look for something with a little better forgiveness. Had tested the T100 series at a local demo day and really liked them. Honestly, I didn't even care that many folks said don't get the black, they will wear in short time. I like the black look, and had already demo'd a set of T100 so I pulled the trigger on the order straight from Titleist. I will say this, I did not expect the amount of attention the black heads/shafts get when I play with a new group or get paired with someone I've not played with before. They are definitely a conversation starter. Throw in the lefty and people ask lots of conversational questions, it's great really.

Wedges: Vokey Design SM9 Jet Black. True Temper AMT Tour White S300 shafts. In the bag is a 50 08F, a 54 12D, and a 58 08M. I ordered these when the Jet Black option came out, so I don't recall if this is the second or third season with these. I've been playing Vokey wedges for as long as I can remember now, so wedges are safe in the bag until the grooves are worn enough to warrant replacement, at that point I typically just order up a new set of Vokeys. It just so happened that when the Jet Black came out it was basically time for me to replace the old wedges, so I went with the black finish. I'd say they are pretty safe. As for the set make-up. I usually use the 50 for full swings only, there are exceptions but those are rare. The 54 is also full swing, but it gets 98% of all chipping/pitching duties from 70 yards and in. The 58 gets some full swing use, but is mainly my full-time bunker club. If I need to hit a flop shot for a chip, the 58 gets the call for that too.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+. BGT Stability Tour Black shaft. Plays at 34 inches. This particular all black version has only been in the bag for about a month, maybe longer... I built this with the intention of completing the all blacked out look in the bag while keeping the NP2.5+ head in play. I've had a NP2.5+ in the bag since Scotty released that option for lefties. It's the newest putter I have, some of you might be aware I have a small collection of putters, with a slightly bigger collection of putter head covers. The headcover gets rotated at least weekly, the dancing flags cover in the picture is in the bag currently as support of the USA in the Olympics. As a regular gamer this putter seems pretty safe. 

Ball: Titleist Left Dash ProV1X. I usually order these with my initials stamped in blue. I have always tended to hit the ball really high and with a ton of spin. As you can see above, I do what I can to reduce height with the shafts and lofts I have throughout the bag. When I first played with the left dash ball it was obvious that it was the best ball for me (of those Ive tinkered with). Good distance, spin, flight characteristics for my game. 

I really like my current setup. It works for me. I like the aesthetic. Hopefully you've enjoyed reading this. Below you will find some pictures of my WITB. Thanks for reading this far! Have an awesome day!

BLD7BagCovers.jpg

BLD7BagNoCovers.jpg

BLD7VentusBlackTR7X.jpg

BLD7VentusBlueFairwayHybrid.jpg

BLD7T100BlackCavity.jpg

BLD7IronFace.jpg

BLD7AMTTourWhiteX100Irons.jpg

BLD7VokeySM9JetBlack.jpg

BLD7AMTTourWhiteS300Wedges.jpg

BLD7NP2.5.jpg

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

Titleist TS3 Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 2 3W 15°

Callaway Steelhead 3H 19°

Wilson D7 5-GW

Bridgestone 54° + 60°

Odyssey 7 Putter w/ Upsized grip.

😧 TS3, 3W: Stealth 2, 3H: Steelhead, 5-GW: Wilson D7, 54 & 60 : Bridgestone, Putter: Odyssey 7.

Hi Everyone,

Felt like this was a good topic for my first post on the forum. I've been golfing go about 8 years now. Bought my first set of clubs in high school, which were just a stock set of TaylorMade Aeroburner irons. Throughout high school and college I was pretty much battling to break 100 every single round, which I wasn't happy with, but never really worked to get better. 2023 was the first year that I really decided to put the work in to get better at golf and after talking to several people, the first step for me was to get fit for some new clubs so that my equipment was actually helping me instead of making my game inconsistent.

Getting fit for clubs was probably one of the top 5 most fun experiences I've ever had golfing, and would highly highly recommend it to anyone who wants. Basically 3 straight hours hitting countless different combinations of shafts and clubs on a Trackman to really dial in what worked best for me. Not only do they get you set up with clubs that are much more consistent, the new clubs added 10 extra yards across the board. I tried my best to go in without any bias, but I've always been a TaylorMade guy, so I wasn't surprised to leave with a large portion of my new bag still being TaylorMade equipment. With all that being said, let's get into the WITB.

Driver: I went with the Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5deg with a Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S shaft. After several range sessions getting used to the much stiffer shaft, I absolutely love it. The stiffer and heavier shaft has definitely freed me up so I can actually swing my golf swing, and am getting the ball in play off the tee much more consistently. I love the sound off the face, and it has a matte finish which definitely passes the eye test for me, so it is safe to say this club will be staying in the bag.

Woods: I am currently playing the TaylorMade M2 3-wood (15deg) and TaylorMade M4 3-Rescue (19deg). These were the only two clubs in my bag that I did not get fit for at the time simply because we started with the driver, then moved to irons and wedges, so by that point I was over 200 swings in and exhausted, and I hit these clubs semi-decent. That being said, I plan on going back in the near future to get fit for a new 3-wood and to see if there is a club I could swap out for the rescue that would fill in my gaps better and be a more versatile club for me. Maybe like a 5-wood. The main issue I currently have with both of this clubs goes back to the fact that they are both just stock clubs off the shelf and therefore have flex shafts, so it's really hard for me to be consistent with them when I swing hard. For now, they are safe.

Irons: My absolute favorite part of my bag are my irons. I went with the 2023 TaylorMade P790 Irons (4-PW) with a Nippon 1050GH Taper Stiff shaft. These are easily my favorite clubs that I have ever hit. They check every single box between looks, sound, feel, distance, consistency, forgiveness, dispersion. You name it, these the P790s have it in my opinion. 

Wedges: Continuing with the TaylorMade train, I am playing the TaylorMade MG4s with the following lofts: 50.09deg, 54.11deg, and 58.11deg with stock shafts. I opted for stock shafts because I don't full swing my wedges, so I wasn't too worried about needing a stiffer or heavier shaft. I am not the best wedge player by any stretch of the imagination, but I have definitely enjoyed these wedges. The biggest difference for me is that before these wedges I only had a 56deg and a 60deg and 49deg AW. I think that the new lofts definitely fit better with the rest of my bag and having 3 of the same wedges helps with consistency a lot.

Putter: I have the TaylorMade TP Reserve B11 L-Neck. The putter I was using before was a very old Nubbins with a rubber insert, so I was definitely looking to change to a milled face because I like the feel, sound, and look to be honest. This is the probably the area of my game that I've seen the biggest improvement since getting new clubs and I think that's because the new putter provides more feedback than what I was getting with the old one.

Other: For all of my clubs except the putter, I went with the Lamkin UTX Gray-Midsize grips, which have been awesome. Before getting fit for clubs I didn't even realize thicker grips were an option!

Ball: I never really played a consistent ball and was pretty dead set on using refurbs or balls that I found while out golfing until reading MyGolfSpy and looking at their ball test. After that it was pretty clear that it made sense to buy new balls even if they were a little bit more expensive, so I decided to go with the Maxfli Tour series balls. Recently I have been playing the Maxfli Tour Xs which I really like, but I also will be trying the Tour S and regular Tour as well coming up. These balls are great for me because they are super high quality, look like a top tier brand, and I also really like the alignment aid on the side and how it lines up with the center of gravity of each ball.

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4015.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_3996.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

Driver: Srixon ZX5 MKII

3W: Taylormade M2

3H: Taylormade M4 Rescue

4I-PW: Taylormade P790

50*, 54*, 58*: Taylormade MG4

Putter: Taylormade TP Reserve B-11

Gaming Callaway Rogue MaxD driver, Callaway Rogue Max 3, 5 woods, Callaway 4,5 Rogue OS hybrids, Taylor Made Sim2 Max OS irons, Cleveland CBX zipcore 54/58 wedges, TaylorMade GTX Putter. Callaway ERC golfballs

74 year old lefty with a heart transplant ❤️

15 handicap playing 3 times a week

Anthony Triola

Gaming Callaway Rogue MaxD driver, Callaway Rogue Max 3, 5 woods, Callaway 4,5 Rogue OS hybrids, Taylor Made Sim2 Max OS irons, Cleveland CBX zipcore 54/58 wedges, TaylorMade GTX Putter. Callaway ERC golfballs

74 year old lefty with a heart transplant ❤️

15 handicap playing 3 times a week

Anthony Triola

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree w/Evenflo Stiff 55g shaft

FW: Ping 425 LST 3-wood 15 degree w/Oban Devotion 65g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Ping 425 Hybrid 3 19 degree w/ stock Alta CB 70 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4 - GW w/Project x 5.0 regular shaft

Wedge: Cleveland RTX 588 52 degree

SW: Wilson Revolution 56 degree

Putter: Evenroll ER2

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Epic Flash SZ, G425 3w
G425 3h, Mizuno JPX EZ
Odyssey Black Series 9

My story is a long one so, I’ll provide the edited version here and, if anyone is interested in the rest, I’ll work on adding the Director’s Cut somewhere down the road. 

In 2022, after my clubs sat in storage for almost 16 years, I left work - on what was supposed to be a one-year “retirement test drive” - and decided to give golf another go. My previous set was custom built for me, in 1996, by a Scottsdale based club company that no longer exists.  I decided it was time to step in to the current era and take advantage of all the advancements in quality and technology. 

After spending time with a fitter, I was put into the TaylorMade SIM 2 Max set and absolutely loved them.  After some issues with that set, TaylorMade moved me to the Stealth irons and, once again, I found them to be a great club.  

After a lot of playing, buying and selling a bunch of clubs on the secondary market, I kept coming back to TaylorMade.  In addition, after spending 25 years as a coach, trainer and leader in all aspects of sales and customer care, I found the level of customer service at TaylorMade to consistently exceed even my high expectations. 

Eventually, about a year ago, I started constructing my “dream set”, and here is where I landed.  

Irons - Here is where I started. I always wanted P790s and, when TaylorMade came out with the Aged Copper set, I was all in.  The balance of forgiveness and the ability to work the ball a bit has been perfect for me and I love the look of the copper - especially with the KBS tour black shafts and retro grips. 

Putter - I was already using a TM Spider and then I stumbled on the copper and black Spider X and, as the second add to the set, things were starting to come together. 

Hybrid - The only remnant of my first new set, the SIM 2 Max 3hy continues to be a really versatile club, bridging the space between my woods and irons. 

Driver - I was previously gaming a SIM Max D driver and see the introduction of the Qi10 LS in copper and black so, for the first time in my life, I bought a brand new driver. Since adding it to the bag, I have gone from a hard fade to a baby one and can even draw it from time to time. 

Mini Driver - I read so much about the BRNR Mini Driver and, because I prefer to play to my favorite distances, it seemed like a great alternative to my old RBZ Stage 2 3 wood. It’s not been in the bag for three weeks but has already proven to be a great asset both off the tee and in the fairway/rough. 

Wedges - This is the last piece to be replaced.  I currently have TM MG wedges that I bought used from marketplace and eBay.  I love the look and feel and, after some experimenting, I found that 50/54/58 was the best combo for my game.  I finally broke down and ordered custom copper replacements and they should be here next week!

Ball - I primarily use the TM Tp5 but also have a lot of Pro V1s in the house too. 

Additional Context - I am a 13-14 hdcp and that is probably aided a bit by my home courses being fairly forgiving. I’m probably a 15-17 in real life. 

As for what’s the future, as soon as these wedges get here, I should be good for a while.  I do sign up for the club test opportunities because, as a self-admitted TaylorMade junkie, I do sometimes wonder what else might be out there. 

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7765.jpeg

WITB:

Driver - TaylorMade Qi10 LS - 9*

3W - TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2

Hybrid - TaylorMade SIM 2 Max 3hy

Irons - TaylorMade Copper P790s (4-PW)

Wedges - Mizuno T24 Denim Copper (50, 54, 58)

Putter - TaylorMade Spider Tour Copper

Basic bag.

image.png.31d1c85b4c354142f542489cff730a36.png

Sun Mountain bag. 2 years old. Orange for my Denver Broncos. Apparel side pockets empty. Lower open pockets have face towels. It's hot here in AZ. Facing, the left smaller side pocket has 4-6 balls. The right side pocket has extra shoelaces, carabiner, stuff. Clubs, 4 woods, 3 hybrids, 3 irons, 3 wedges, and a putter.

Odds and ends: Marine Corps bag for tees, divot tool, etc. Pinseeker laser and Sky Caddy SX 400. I use both. The course I play most often has a mounted tablet with the course info displayed like a Sky caddie.

image.png.c4c4ac7dff25c035f32df30bf3235178.png

image.png.ee5b147dd0376f711532a953b653b89c.png

image.png.825ac988a729e836c287ba93db55aa84.png

The clubs:

image.png.961ced9db864d54890679fd199a08dbd.png

Woods: Purchased in 2020 on Callaway pre-owned. I ordered 1,3,5. I did not get fit. I have purchased Callaway clubs off the pre-owned site since approximately 2011. They have always fit and as these were adjustable I didn't see a problem. I did make one change to my previous clubs. I was a stiff shaft player but had recently found I hit regularly shafted irons better, so ordered regular shafts. Didn't work in the driver. No problem, ordered a stiff shaft and wow, that worked. Hmmm. Put regular driver shaft in the 3 wood, and the 3 wood shaft in the 5 wood. That worked. Then I decided I needed a heaven wood or 7 wood. The 7 wood is not adjustable so heaven wood. In looking at the Callaway preowned site, the ladies heaven wood was half the price of the mens. After confirming that it was the same head, ordered the ladies club and put the 5 wood shaft in it. Easy.

Driver: Callaway Epic. 9 degree set up at standard, draw. Shaft is a Hzrdus Project X 6.0, 55 gram shaft. The sliding weight is set slightly to the draw side. Average 220-230. 

Fairway woods: 3,5,heavenwood. Hrzdus Project X 5.5, all set standard, neutral. 210, 200, 190.

Hybrids: Something to look forward to for everyone to some extent or another. Swing speed diminishing as one gets older. Couldn't hit stiff or even regular shafted long and mid irons, to a standard I wanted. All my hybrids are Big Bertha 19 also purchased in 2020 off the Callaway pre-owned site. Started with the 4 hybrid. Cemented itself in my bag when I made double eagle with it. Story. Course was scalped prior to overseed. Hit a 3 wood tee shot short of a hazard. Then, out about 200 to a back pin, and knowing my yardage for the 4 hybrid was 180, hit a nice little draw. Ran up to the green and in the hole like a putt. Solid. Then ended up buying a 6 and 7 hybrid. Best clubs in my bag. Bar none. I can hit them high or low.

4 hybrid: UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460/F3 shaft. 21 degree set at +1 and draw. 180 yards and choked down 170 yards to fill that gap. I hit this club a little lower than I like so would, maybe, possibly, be replaceable. But then there is that double eagle...

6 and 7 hybrid: UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460/F3. Both are set at neutral, -1. I love these shafts. Actually, I am going to go shopping for one to put in the 4 hybrid. Brain melt. I hit these higher than any club I have ever owned since taking up golf in 1982. Maybe that will help the 4 hybrid. 6 slots in to 165 yards and the 7 155, choked to 145.

Irons: last year my older set of irons were losing yardage. 🤣 About 5 yards but stretching the gap between 7 hybrid and 8 iron. Checked out Callaway preowned for options and looked at reviews. The Rogue ST seemed to fit my bill. Loft a little stronger and lots of help to get the ball in the air. On a whim, checked Callaway and clubs brand new where about the same price when using my military discount. Ordered 8,9,PW. Shafts are Tensei AV series regular flex. They are a year old. Love hate relationship. When I hit them they are everything I paid for. Occasionally, they go off the planet. I think it's the shaft. I just don't like the feel, which wouldn't matter if they were consistent. I am honestly thinking of going to my local Vans and having the UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460/F3 put in these irons. Either that or Project X. 8 iron, 140, 9 iron 130, PW 120, choked up to 110.

Could use suggestions here if someone else has changed shafts in their irons.

Wedges: Vokey SM6. 54, 58. Ok, these are old. Purchased in 2017 from Dick's when they went on sale when the SM 7 came out. I read years ago that wedges lose spin after somewhere around 70 rounds. OK, I play 150+ times a year. I am not buying new wedges every 6 months. I also read years ago that wedges reclaim some spin after more rounds. I am totally satisfied with what these clubs do for my game. I have no idea what the spin rate is. However, they hit to my yardages of 80 and 90 for the 58 and 54 respectively. They are fine around the greens unless I need a super spinney flop tight over a bunker. Otherwise I mostly hit running chips that aren't as dependent on spin. My 58 is black and the 54 is chrome so I don't pull out the wrong one. Ya, that's a thing at my age.

Wedge: 50, Callaway CB. Bought this super cheap in like new condition from Callaway pre-owned. I had a Vokey 50 but I hooked the thing for every shot, full right down to chips. Not so with the CB. It's bloody straight. 100-105 yards. I note that the new descriptions of the SM 10 50 degree has better weighting to mitigate the draw. About time.

Putter: Odyssey 11. 35 inches. The putter that cured my yips. I guess that demonstrates what this putter means to me. 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or V1X, AVX, Vice Pro Plus, Bridgestone B RX. In that order. I play found balls and if they have a few bad hits, play catch and release, leaving them for someone else.

Head covers: something for relatives to buy so they aren't spending much money. Quail for AZ, Buffalo for University of Colorado, Otter because I met my wife in Monterrey and the Aquarium there was one of our first dates, and a Tiger because why not?

image.png.14fe548f309ec75e31aff52dd023a30c.png

Well, that's the bag. What could get replaced? Maybe a new shaft for the 4 hybrid and the Rogues. I will certainly consider new Vokey SM10 about the time the SM 11 comes out and they go on sale. Other than that, I will happily play this bag. Each club has some quirk that I need to pay attention to, but that's golf.

I realize that a full bag fitting, trying out some other brands, might result in one or two strokes better a round. I just don't care. If my swing is good, I am around 70-76 playing from appropriate tees. I rarely go above 80. I f I do, I know I will be playing tomorrow or the next day and it will be better. 

Questions?

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I'm currently gaming TaylorMde with the exception of my putter. My driver is a Stealth 2, 12*; Stealth 3 wood HL; Stealth 5 wood 18*; Stealth 4, 5, & 6 hybrids; Sim2 Max 8, 9, PW, AW, SW, & LW; & Scotty Cameron Phantom 5(2024). All my clubs are senior flex shafts. I'm a senior golfer in my 70s. I play weekly & I live in Southern Nevada, where it cah get quite hot in the summer. I obviously love playing the game!

IMG_0896.JPG

Edited by Big_Mike55

Mike Linner

WITB 12 HC Searching for that sub 80 round.

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Max D, Graphite Design Tour AD VF-6 Shaft (-1/2")

3 Wood: Callaway Ai Smoke Max, Fujikura Ventus Black Shaft

2 Iron: Taylormade Sim UDI

4 Hybrid: Taylormade M2 Rescue

4~PW Irons: Taylormade P790 (2019)

Gap Wedge(52): Callaway Jaws MD5 

Sand Wedge(56): Callaway Mack Daddy 3 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterey

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x Left Dash

I currently game all Callaway. 2021 Apex dcb irons, 58° CB wedge, 9° Rogue st LS driver,  3-5 Apex Superhybrids, Odyssey 2 ball cs putter. All clubs in stiff shaft.

Callaway Rogue st max driver,Apex dcb irons, Epic superhybrids, callaway cb 58° wedge, odyssey 2ball cs putter

3 hours ago, Bcamp43 said:

Two iron looks incredible, what loft does it play at?

18 degrees. It is such a versatile club.

Driver: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png  Mavrik 10.5 loft, dialed down to 9.5, Project X HZRDUS Black, stiff shaft

Fairway Wood: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png  Mavrik 3 Wood 15 degree loft, Project X HZRDUS Black, stiff shaft

Fairway Finder/Rescue Club: Tommy Armour 845 2 iron 

Hybrid: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png Mavrik 3 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black, stiff shaft

Irons: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png Mavrik irons (5-AW), True Temper Elevate 95 steel stiff shaft

Wedges: image.png.e7e2add9d78f70b5d1cc57a961f020e6.png Vokey  SM9 56 degree, F grind; 60 degree, M grind

Putter: image.png.e7e2add9d78f70b5d1cc57a961f020e6.png Scotty  Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5+

Ball:  image.png.04747de8f9aca055ccd980959d1e2014.png  Tour X

IMG_1179.jpeg.79660ff25016ae243a403cf0b0194c08.jpegBag Ping Hoofer or Ping cart bag dependent on walking or riding 

Ball: vice Pro orange shade,Callaway chrome soft Truvis or Taylormade TP5 pixel

The picture is not reflected those are lefty. 
Driver: Callaway Rogue Max D with House of Forged code50 stiff shaft

Hybrids: old taylormade 2 hybrid (16*) and 4 hybrid (22*)

Irons Sub70 combo 659 raw finish  4-7 CB 8-AW TC (loving the raw look)

Wedges Sub70 54* and either Sub70 60* or Ping 58*
Putter: LAB Link1 with LA golf shaft, best investment Ive made

Driver: Stealth+, stiff VA composites Nemesys. 

3wood: Cobra speedzone (16*) stiff Tensei

hybrid: TBD

Irons: Sub70 combo all RAW finish 5-7 659 CB, 8-AW 659 TC 

Wedges: Sub70 JB Raw full groove 54* ( 10* bounce), 60* ( 6* bounce)

Putter: Rife 2 bar ( but this can change daily )

Here’s the rundown:

Callaway Rouge ST Max 9 degree adjusted to 11, with Project X HZRDUS GEN 4 Black 70

Taylormade Sldr 3 wood 

Taylormade Sldr 3 hybrid 

Takomo 201 irons 4-PW

Wedges:

Cleveland CBX2

50 degree Loft, 11 degree Bounce
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold 115 Steel Wedgeflex 

58 degree Loft, 10 degree Bounce
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold 115 Steel Wedgeflex 

Taylormade 56 degree mg2 chrome wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab # 1 ONE 32" Putter with SuperStroke Zenergy Tour 5.0 grip

Current ball: Vice Pro Air