TaylorMade Sim2 Max OS Irons- do they work as you get better? Should i upgrade? let me know!

Cls98

The TaylorMade Sim2 Max OS irons have been with me for about 3 golf seasons. They were my first fitted clubs that I ever bought, I still remember the elad up to our meeting. After a few months with a Wilson starter set, a few lessons, and a score under 100, I felt like it was time for me to get a proper fitting and truly level up my game (lol).

After going to a fitting and having the WORST ball striking I possibly could, the fitter told me “these cubs will help you get better and grow with you as your game grows”. I still remember piking them up, the wide game improvement soles were as reflective as a mirror, and I kept staring at them. Since then, we have been through many milestones together. From being a 5 handicap, to now breaking 80 consistently, they have seen it all.

However, as I get better, I am starting to notice the club’s traits that might make it hard to reach the next level in my game. So I will weigh the pros and cons of these irons and determine if they  are still the clubs I will be gaming.

PROS:

These irons are elite at what they do. I notice a very high flight with most standard swings. There is some control we can get with the height and ball flight by moving the ball up or back in the stance, which surprises me as these irons are not typically workable. On off center strikes, I notice a solid flight, even when I hit it way off the toe. The club also has significant weight to it, which may help with some confidence in getting through rough. The clubs also make a satisfying smack when good contact is made.

For a game improvement seeking player, forgiveness and distance makes most average golfers confident and should lead to more enjoyable golf. I found them quite fun to play and did their job well.

CONS:

As a golfer who has gotten significantly better since buying these clubs, I must confess, there are some drawbacks. The high flight on standard shots sometimes leads to a bit more wind involvement than I would like, as I am a higher launching player naturally. I also do not love the feel and feedback of these clubs. It feels hard when hitting the ball. I also do not love the very wide soles interaction with the turf, as it does not feel excellent when hitting the ground. The heavy weight also sometimes feels a bit out of control when trying to execute a shot shape, and setting up to hit a hook or cut is made difficulty by the club’s bias.

In conclusion, I have enjoyed these clubs. I think they are a great call for most golfers who just want to hit it further and have forgiveness. However, my fear of hitting a pull draw sometimes leads me to back off some shots and hit less aggressively. These may not be the best clubs for me anymore so if you have any recommendations for a new iron set to get fitted for, let me know!

Callaway mavrik driver and 3 wood

Taylormade sim 2 max os irons

Callaway CB mack daddy wedges

LAB DF 2.1 Putter 

Srixon Z star Diamond ball

As someone who was way too quick to change irons over the years, I'm not the best one to respond here 🤪

But a suggestion to try first...

.. get another fitting with these irons - maybe a lie angle change (eg -1 flat perhaps) could improve your contact..? Or perhaps a shaft change might be recommended by the fitter..?

Go to a big box store .. take your current 7i .. and try lots of different makes and models to get a feel for different heads .. and how they compare and contrast to what you have. 

It's not necessarily a truism that a better player must use "better" irons - use what works best *for you* on the course!

However if the OS head size does throw you off then yeah maybe a change is in order...

Good Luck!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

I’m the exact opposite of @cksurfdude, I’ve had my irons for 10 years (TM Tour Preferred CB).

Lots of different factors go into a club working for you, would recommend hitting a few different types of irons to see how they feel, if you’re getting consistent results and seeing what you want to with the new ones.

Curious what you end up doing…keep us informed!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 8/9/2024 at 5:42 PM, TJ Hall said:

I’m the exact opposite of @cksurfdude, I’ve had my irons for 10 years (TM Tour Preferred CB).

Lots of different factors go into a club working for you, would recommend hitting a few different types of irons to see how they feel, if you’re getting consistent results and seeing what you want to with the new ones.

Curious what you end up doing…keep us informed!

I have been told my lie is causing my face to open somewhat, so I think I need to get a fit soon, post wedding expenses of course!

LAB DF 2.1 Putter 

On 8/9/2024 at 5:10 PM, cksurfdude said:

As someone who was way too quick to change irons over the years, I'm not the best one to respond here 🤪

But a suggestion to try first...

.. get another fitting with these irons - maybe a lie angle change (eg -1 flat perhaps) could improve your contact..? Or perhaps a shaft change might be recommended by the fitter..?

Go to a big box store .. take your current 7i .. and try lots of different makes and models to get a feel for different heads .. and how they compare and contrast to what you have. 

It's not necessarily a truism that a better player must use "better" irons - use what works best *for you* on the course!

However if the OS head size does throw you off then yeah maybe a change is in order...

Good Luck!!

That is a good idea, I do not love the thick head when taking a divot on a really hard lie, it gets stuck. I wonder if a better lie fit will increase my accuracy.

LAB DF 2.1 Putter 

Update:

These things certainly help my off center strikes. However, the weight seems to make wrist control difficult due to weight.

LAB DF 2.1 Putter 

Last week I went through PXG fitting.  It was the best fitting I've had.  The ability of the fitter to change the weight of the club heads was a game changer for me.  See if you can find a fitter that has that ability.  Obviously, it doesn't have to be a PXG rep.

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS