Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Golf Balls Revisited

Greetings All . . . 

It's been quite a while since I've been able to participate on this forum, as life has gotten in the way. However, I wanted to revisit a subject I broached quite a while ago, which is a less expensive alternative to the Titleist ProV1.

I've tried many golf balls - as I am sure many of you have - and I find playing the Yellow ProV1's to be my best performing golf balls. My conundrum is that while my game is vastly improving due to taking lessons with a local pro, one of the course I frequent is still problematic for me, with very narrow tee boxes, and I am shanking these very expensive balls into the dep woods and saying goodbye to my hard earned money. I have been buying the Maxfli Tours on sale, which comes to about $28.00/dozen, but I am not getting the same response/distance on those that I get on my ProV's. 

Was wondering if any of you fine folks had suggestions for gem alternative golf balls that you have found that are really ProV1's hiding in another branded skin? I see a lot of advertisements that I don't trust . . . but I do trust you folks for sharing honest opinions. I doubt there are any silver bullets, but one never knows until one asks. For further clarification, I am 62yo, my big drives with my ProV's this past weekend were 200 and 215 yds (REALLY BIG for me, avg. has been about 165 - 185).

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. Cheers . . . Marty!

Marty

Krank F11XX Driver

Cobra Air-X OS Fairway Wood (5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (P, A)

Titleist Vokey SM9 56/10S Wedge

Taylormade 52 Wedge

Ping B-60 Putter

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

I’d consider the Vice Pro. You can look up several articles that compare the two. Essentially, they’re very close to each other in many respects. Several articles basically call them almost interchangeable, but the Vice Pros are significantly less expensive. 

I’m not a scratch golfer, and I lose balls every round. I’ve got both V1s and a lot of Vice balls…for ME, I cant tell a difference that makes me want to pay more for the V1s. I’m also not a brand guy, and I root for the underdog, so I like the DTC brands…but that’s neither here nor there.

Maybe the good golfers out there feel differently, but that’s what I’ve experienced. 

Maybe get yourself a box off Amazon and give them a whirl?

Edited by RyanGi

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

Try the Vice Pro Air. Seems to be working well for me. I was using the Maxfli Tour the last two seasons.  But the Pro Air's are giving me a little more height and distance. Stops well on the greens too.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I am 66, 11 handicap, and similarly, am driving it 210 on a mashed drive. I had two left shoulder rotator cuff surgeries a year ago and have lost 30 yds. The surgeries failed so I have no rotator now. I am doubting I get that distance back. I have always paid attention to golf balls for the very reason you mentioned....great ball for value price. 

MGS has sung the praises of the Wilson Triad as well as many other places. I found another author that recently did robotic ball testing and found that, for my swing speed, the driver distance, 7 iron distance & spin, and wedge spin on the Wilson Triad was almost identical to the ProV1. They follow those numbers up by saying the Triad and V1 are not said to be equal but that there are more similarities than not. $35 at PGA Superstore. I love the ball. I was using the Taylormade Tour Response but wasn't happy with the greenside spin or the feel off the putter. I did like the green stripe tho. It made the ball look bigger to me somehow. 

Picked up this 2014 Vintage yesterday. The person I bought them from got them as a retirement gift a few years back and didn't bother playing them. A bargain at $10. 

IMG_3238.jpg

WIMB 🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️
Driver - Ping G425 MAX 9º
3W - TaylorMade M3

4H - TaylorMade Rescue MID 22º
56º - TaylorMade RAC 12 Bounce
54º - Ping SS Glide
52º - TaylorMade RAC Satin
Irons - TaylorMade M4 (5-AW)
Putter - TaylorMade TP Collection Del Monte 1
Balls - Titleist: Pro V1X, TruFeel, DT Solo; Glove - Nike Tech Extreme

I have started playing with the Maxfli Tour X balls after reading the great reviews on here and the great testing. From my experience they are incredible.

For your swing speed I would recommend trying the Tour or the Tour S and see how they feel, I am blown away by the quality for $109 for 4 dozen.

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Maxfli Tour for me.  A couple of weeks ago they were on sale for $109.99 for four dozen.  Downloading the app gave me a $20 coupon.  4 dozen= $89.99.  Thank you very much.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite (currently testing New Level 480DB)

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png HB SOFT 2 Putter – Model 8C

19 hours ago, PrayingForPar said:

I have started playing with the Maxfli Tour X balls after reading the great reviews on here and the great testing. From my experience they are incredible.

For your swing speed I would recommend trying the Tour or the Tour S and see how they feel, I am blown away by the quality for $109 for 4 dozen.

I was surprised how much I like the Maxfli Tour x.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a better value. 

Mike

19 hours ago, ClarkWGriswoldIII said:

Maxfli Tour for me.  A couple of weeks ago they were on sale for $109.99 for four dozen.  Downloading the app gave me a $20 coupon.  4 dozen= $89.99.  Thank you very much.

If you register your phone number with them right now you can get the same deal. It's a steal!

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Have you tried out the V3 kirkland balls? Whilst relatively new to the game I have tried out a fair few balls and the Kirklands really do seem to perform well for me. If you're looking at value for money they could be a god way to go without affecting your game!

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Spread The Game

Has anyone tried the SaintNine U Pro ball?  Found one today and tried it, played it for 17 holes.

IMG_5204.jpeg

IMG_5203.jpeg

IMG_5202.jpeg

Edited by fozcycle

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder