Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Dave's Take: Xikar Travel Humidor

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Xikar Travel Humidor

Xikar Case - 1.jpg

Someday I hope to have a fancy humidor. Something ornate and wooden, stocked with great cigars from around the world. That humidor would, of course, be in my home's library, within easy reach of my leather reading chair and snifter of Pappy Van Winkle.

This fancy version of Dave would also naturally be attired in a crushed velvet jacket and an ascot. Fancy Dave rolls fancy.

Alas, the fancy Dave scenario is still in the future, but that doesn't mean that I don't need a humidor today. The context is just a bit different. I still don't want my cigars to dry out, but rather than enjoying them in the library, I want to take them to the golf course. That's why it makes more sense to look more closely at something like the Xikar Travel Humidor.

Sticks on the Go

Let's say that you are someone that wants to take cigars to the course. Even if you have that fancy wood humidor at home, it's probably not a good idea to drag its fine-grained fineness out to the links. You too need a traveler.

As with seemingly all things cigar these days, I came across the Xikar Travel Humidor on Amazon while shopping for other cigar things. I'm not going to lie, the yellow color is what initially caught my eye. (Don't worry, there are also blue and black versions for those less brightly inclined.)

What caused me to click the BUY button though was the Xikar name.

Xikar Case - 2.jpg

I'll admit that I am not the same level of product expert in the cigar arena that I am in the putter corral. I'm probably level NOOB +1, or maybe NOOB +2, but even I know that the Xikar name means quality cigar accessories.

I've played around with friends Xikar cutters and torches and they are badass. High quality construction, interesting designs, and all Xikar products are backed by lifetime warranties. I figured that the Xikar Travel Humidor was a no risk venture, and Amazon PRIME shipping was a bonus.

Specs

• Airtight....Watertight....Crushproof
  • Super-strong ABS Molded Plastic Construction
  • Closed cell foam is Airtight and Watertight
  • Stainless Steel Hinge and Latch Hinges
  • Locking Clasp Made in the USA Lifetime warranty
  • Also available in Black and Blue

On The Course

Xikar Case - 4.jpg

For my cigar transport needs, the Xikar Travel Humidor works perfectly. It is relatively compact, fitting easily in the side pocket of my bag. There are smaller options out there, but I like that it holds five descent sized cigars, plus a lighter (granted not a cool Xikar one in the above photo :( .)

I'm a one cigar a round guy, but it is nice to have choices, and extras for your foursome when they forget their sticks and need to poach yours. I also like that the foam is not shaped in long troughs like on some other cases. This case seems to hold various size cigars much more snugly than those with that type of foam.

Xikar Case - 6.jpg

The case stays air/water/everything tight, but is still very easy to open. Seems like a minor thing, but some secure latches are so tight that you risk a fingernail when you open them. These latches stay snug, but pop open perfectly.

Xikar Case - 3.jpg

The humidor side of the Xikar Travel Humidor is also perfect for my current keep moist needs. I just added some deionized water to the humidifier disk, and it worked. I didn't even really measure, just poured until filled. I love lazy tech. Add water and done is a huge plus. I can load the cigars, and trust that they will be hydrated and ready for smoking. Nothing more could I ask.

Xikar Case - 5.jpg

Without a doubt, I'm happy with the Xikar Travel Humidor. It does everything that I need it to do, and it really seems like it will last basically forever. Plus, it's less than $30 on Amazon. If you take cigars to the course, this is a must have.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Great product, good idea. As a cigar guy I am often bringing them to golf outings, weddings, cottage weekends, etc. for the boys and having a carrier like that would be nice.

Usually I use a resealable chinese food container for multiple cigars and a toothbrush holder for a single. Us classy people refer to this as thrifty...

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

• SPY VIP

Great product, good idea. As a cigar guy I am often bringing them to golf outings, weddings, cottage weekends, etc. for the boys and having a carrier like that would be nice.

Usually I use a resealable chinese food container for multiple cigars and a toothbrush holder for a single. Us classy people refer to this as thrifty...

I like the toothbrush holder idea. I will sometimes just select cigars that are packaged in tubes as another way to take a single stick. Rocky Patel Vintage 92 being my favorite tube these days...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Thanks for the post, I definitely want to look into this.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

IF I know that I am going to smoke on the course,   I just throw the sticks in a zip-lock with a cedar sheet.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I like the toothbrush holder idea. I will sometimes just select cigars that are packaged in tubes as another way to take a single stick. Rocky Patel Vintage 92 being my favorite tube these days...

That's a nice one. I tend to smoke Romeo & Juliet #2's quite often on the golf course, the size is right. 

In Canada we may pay more tax, more for everything product or service imaginable, but at least I get a good damn Cuban cigar whenever I want. And real beer :)

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Archived