Sign in to follow this  
Golfspy_CG2

Maybe I've Been Playing The Wrong Length Shaft All This Time?

I've always been fit to 3/4 or 1" over in iron fittings, depending on the OEM and their standard length.   But recently I went to a demo where I wanted try two different shafts in the same iron.  But they only had one shaft in 1/2 over and the other in the 1" over.

I hit the 1" well enough, mostly like my normal shaft length.  Then when I tried the 1/2 it was like magic, every shot seemed flushed and seemed to have much more solid contact.   Could it be similar to drivers, where the shorter shaft gave me much more control thus producing more consistent contact.

I know the answer seems obvious based on the above results.  But I guess I had just never thought of irons that way, It seemed i was always fit more for my posture stance with the 1" vs. better results with a shorter shaft.  I didn't seem to notice a huge difference in my set up, meaning I didn't feel like I was more hunched over with the 1/2 than the 1" but that was just my feel, I obviously couldn't see for myself.
  •  

I'll be genuinely interested to read the replies.

I've never owned anything but off the rack clubs, but I am planning to buy and get fit for irons this winter. My WTF measurement suggests I should have shafts 1/2” to 3/4” longer than standard. Initially that made sense to me, and I'll go along with it if that's what my fitting says this winter.

However, it later occurred to be my irons range from 39.5” to 35.5” - a range of 4”! Furthermore, my driver is 46” - 10.5” longer than my sand wedge. If 1/2” longer shafts are an important fitting recommendation, how have I or do I/we all adapt to the WIDE range of shafts lengths in almost any set for all these years?

Not being a wise guy, just honestly wondering.

• Like 1

I think you kinda answered your own question there CG2. I mean, you think about how much really is a half inch in the scheme of things and it's kinda miniscule the more you think about it. Was there any lie adjustment done to the shaft you were testing, because that too may have had an impact. Really though, going from 1 inch to a half inch I wouldn't think would be that much a difference, but you know your body and swing better than anyone.

• Like 1

I'll be genuinely interested to read the replies.

I've never owned anything but off the rack clubs, but I am planning to buy and get fit for irons this winter. My WTF measurement suggests I should have shafts 1/2” to 3/4” longer than standard. Initially that made sense to me, and I'll go along with it if that's what my fitting says this winter.

However, it later occurred to be my irons range from 39.5” to 35.5” - a range of 4”! Furthermore, my driver is 46” - 10.5” longer than my sand wedge. If 1/2” longer shafts are an important fitting recommendation, how have I or do I/we all adapt to the WIDE range of shafts lengths in almost any set for all these years?

Not being a wise guy, just honestly wondering.

Not by any means taking it that way, it's a very valid question.  Maybe that is what Bryson DeChambeau has been telling us all along.  I will be interested to see the replies as well, although I think many will be similar to bergtaur below, who is correct in that I kinda already answered my own question.

I think you kinda answered your own question there CG2. I mean, you think about how much really is a half inch in the scheme of things and it's kinda miniscule the more you think about it. Was there any lie adjustment done to the shaft you were testing, because that too may have had an impact. Really though, going from 1 inch to a half inch I wouldn't think would be that much a difference, but you know your body and swing better than anyone.

Yeah, I probably did, I guess just wanting to get affirmation or possibly any other thoughts either way on the matter.   But you are correct 1/2 is pretty small difference, especially when you consider middier's points above as well. 

✋️raises hand

I noticed a half-inch difference when I hit the Mizzies. My irons are +.5" but the same lie angle. I felt the need to choke down on the 6i and Gap wedge I hit.

It's definitely true that longer shafts introduce variability so maybe you're onto something. If I were you, I'd try choking down on your shots for a while before messing around with the actual lengths.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

✋️raises hand

I noticed a half-inch difference when I hit the Mizzies. My irons are +.5" but the same lie angle. I felt the need to choke down on the 6i and Gap wedge I hit.

It's definitely true that longer shafts introduce variability so maybe you're onto something. If I were you, I'd try choking down on your shots for a while before messing around with the actual lengths.

Glad you chimed in, I forgot to ask you what length clubs yours were.    And I've never been effective at choking down with anything other than a wedge for a little chip shot. Something about doing it with a full or 3/4 swing just messes with me somehow.  I did notice you do it on the GW you hit.   That turned out pretty well!!

Maybe there's a little more to it...

It's important to remember that different shafts react in different manners for the same swing. Depending on how that swing is delivered to the ball, it will ultimately determine how the clubhead makes contact too.

Regardless of the overall length disparity, it can be quite common for different iron shafts to have a different amount of "toe droop" at impact which will have a marked effect on where (and more importantly where you think) the ball contacts the club face. This could potentially be entirely different locations for shafts of different construction - even at the same length!

Therefore it is always important to compare apples with apples when using specific measurements in fitting irons to an individual. If the shafts aren't the same in terms of profile, you simply can't assume the fitted length will be the same too given the same swing speed and tempo. 

• Like 4

....And I've never been effective at choking down with anything other than a wedge for a little chip shot. Something about doing it with a full or 3/4 swing just messes with me somehow.....

Well next time we get together, make sure you take some swings with mine. I know the heads might not agree with you but at least you can get a feel for your stance and swing.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I've always been fit to 3/4 or 1" over in iron fittings, depending on the OEM and their standard length. But recently I went to a demo where I wanted try two different shafts in the same iron. But they only had one shaft in 1/2 over and the other in the 1" over.

I hit the 1" well enough, mostly like my normal shaft length. Then when I tried the 1/2 it was like magic, every shot seemed flushed and seemed to have much more solid contact. Could it be similar to drivers, where the shorter shaft gave me much more control thus producing more consistent contact.

I know the answer seems obvious based on the above results. But I guess I had just never thought of irons that way, It seemed i was always fit more for my posture stance with the 1" vs. better results with a shorter shaft. I didn't seem to notice a huge difference in my set up, meaning I didn't feel like I was more hunched over with the 1/2 than the 1" but that was just my feel, I obviously couldn't see for myself.

With lengths from all manufacturers being different for each set of irons, even within a manufacturers offerings, is it possible the +1/2" were, in actuality, +1" in your other irons you've had?

• Like 1

With lengths from all manufacturers being different for each set of irons, even within a manufacturers offerings, is it possible the +1/2" were, in actuality, +1" in your other irons you've had?

I know that could be the case, but in this case there definitely was a difference as I measured them next to each other when they weren't in the clubhead.  They were part of the fitting cart. 

• Like 1

Maybe there's a little more to it...

It's important to remember that different shafts react in different manners for the same swing. Depending on how that swing is delivered to the ball, it will ultimately determine how the clubhead makes contact too.

Regardless of the overall length disparity, it can be quite common for different iron shafts to have a different amount of "toe droop" at impact which will have a marked effect on where (and more importantly where you think) the ball contacts the club face. This could potentially be entirely different locations for shafts of different construction - even at the same length!

Therefore it is always important to compare apples with apples when using specific measurements in fitting irons to an individual. If the shafts aren't the same in terms of profile, you simply can't assume the fitted length will be the same too given the same swing speed and tempo. 

Good point, I should mention in this case, the shorter shaft was the AMT Red and the 1" shaft was a XP95 which according to a conversation I had with someone at True Temper is pretty much the exact same shaft. 

This is a little off topic, but I recently purchased a new set of irons and wedges. The fitter said my old set was 1/2" shorter than standard and he fit me into 1" longer than standard. That means my irons are 1.5" longer than my old set. I am still getting used to it so I can't really say at this point if the fitting is right for me. Add to it that the new irons are a club stronger and there are a lot of things new going on in my head. 

Another thing I wasn't aware of but seems to be quite common, is that the fitter made my PW-LW all the same length. I was used 1/2" step down across the wedges and the swing often felt too jammed up once I got down to the LW. I really like having them all the same length. No back pain either.

Let me tell you this CG2, when I did the single length thing, I was surprised to find that the length of Cobra's 7 iron was the same as my old Nickent 8. For comparison sake, here's the length of some OEM Game Improvement 7 irons straight from the specs on their website

Cobra F7                                     37.25

Mizuno JPX Hot Metal                36.75

Srixon 565                                  37

Wilson Staff C200                      37.5

TM P790                                    36.75

TM M2                                       37

Callaway Steelhead XR            37

It's interesting to think about. I know a lot of people think that longer = farther, and to an extend that's true, but shorter can equal consistent and more middle which equals farther as well. Really, if anything this shows that perhaps we are too focused on the small stuff of fitting instead of the big overarching concepts the data can prove. There's no doubt that to some the little stuff can make the difference, but, and pardon the turn of phrase, focusing on a half inch difference doesn't measure up.

• Like 2

Let me tell you this CG2, when I did the single length thing, I was surprised to find that the length of Cobra's 7 iron was the same as my old Nickent 8. For comparison sake, here's the length of some OEM Game Improvement 7 irons straight from the specs on their website

Cobra F7                                     37.25

Mizuno JPX Hot Metal                36.75

Srixon 565                                  37

Wilson Staff C200                      37.5

TM P790                                    36.75

TM M2                                       37

Callaway Steelhead XR            37

It's interesting to think about. I know a lot of people think that longer = farther, and to an extend that's true, but shorter can equal consistent and more middle which equals farther as well. Really, if anything this shows that perhaps we are too focused on the small stuff of fitting instead of the big overarching concepts the data can prove. There's no doubt that to some the little stuff can make the difference, but, and pardon the turn of phrase, focusing on a half inch difference doesn't measure up.

Good stuff. I knew OEMs all had varying lengths and while they aren't are by much it just emphasies there is no standard. And I bet I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between that Hot Metal 7 and the 565 7. And I own both models. Ha

Another thing I wasn't aware of but seems to be quite common, is that the fitter made my PW-LW all the same length. I was used 1/2" step down across the wedges and the swing often felt too jammed up once I got down to the LW. I really like having them all the same length. No back pain either.

That's what I do with my wedges. I like it because I like hitting full shots with them and i find it easier to do when they're the same length as my PW

• Like 1

I think my wedges and PW-9 are too short. The 8-6 are spot on and the 5-3 irons are way too damn long. Hmm. Look at that, my “spot on” clubs are right around that one length thing that's going on. Maybe there is something to that...

• Like 2

I think my wedges and PW-9 are too short. The 8-6 are spot on and the 5-3 irons are way too damn long. Hmm. Look at that, my “spot on” clubs are right around that one length thing that's going on. Maybe there is something to that...

I used to feel that way about my set until I spent a little more time dialing in my stance distance from the ball and ball position.

Hrmm ;)

Exactly. I think that is why the One Length is so appealing in so many ways. I'll be surprised if another company doesn't come out with a set in 2018.
  • Like 1

I used to feel that way about my set until I spent a little more time dialing in my stance distance from the ball and ball position.

One could argue... all that extra time spent “dialing in” could have been used for something else.

I think if a major professional picks up some one lengther's the trend will shift quick. Bryson is great, but he doesn't have enough firepower to make this a mainstream thing.

Callaway or Taylormade make a one length and they'll most likely sell like $1 PBR's.

- A.S.

Sent from Winterfell